Chapter Tactics #116: Top Table Talk, Incontrol Edition

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today is a very special episode. Geoff recaps the largest Major win in his career with his top table opponent Jim Vesal. Everyone also talks about their BAO games and experience.

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then sign up for our Patreon where you can join our official Facebook group page, get in contact with all the show’s co-hosts, watch exclusive content, and win free prizes!

Show Notes:

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

31 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #116: Top Table Talk, Incontrol Edition”

1. Ishagu May 29, 2019 6:01 am #

Alex Harrison is not the finest example of Britain’s 40k community.

Geoff’s integrity isn’t in question. I’ve seen many of his games.

2. CWDub May 29, 2019 6:30 am #

Great episode as usual and was glad Jim was able to get on.

The stream was amazing and has only gotten better but Twitch chat is dogshit.

The people accusing Jim of cheating in the championship game likely never leave their house and don’t play 40k more than four times a year after they rage quit once a fiscal quarter.

The people accusing Geoff of being a bully go home and write 4chan posts when a dude bumps into them on the bus.

3. rvd1ofakind May 29, 2019 6:32 am #

Jim’s freudian slip about Alex killed me.

Also a bunch of 40k players (esp. casual players) are super fragile snowflakes who treat “hey I don’t think you’re doing this right” as “hey, you’re a pedophile and should be hanged” for some reason

• JimV May 29, 2019 7:51 am #

Do not attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.

• winterman May 29, 2019 9:27 am #

Love Hanlon’s Razor. Applicable in all things warhammer, whether its a bumped model on stream or the supposed idea that GW gives new models better rules to sell more of them.

4. Zweischneid May 29, 2019 8:41 am #

I don’t get it.

I watched a bit of the Geoff vs. Don Hoosen game, and Geoff’s literally telling Don every 5 minutes “hey, you’re trying to cheat me” .. “hey, this is cheating” .. etc..

Where’s the difference in that to what may happen in a Twitch stream?

There’s some serious stone throwing from inside the glasshouse going on there.

• iNcontroL May 29, 2019 9:34 am #

The difference you ignoramus is don and I are friends making jokes and not strangers trying to start drama.

WHY DOES THIS NEED TO BE SAID? Can’t you IMAGINE having friends and pretend how you’d talk to them?

• Zweischneid May 29, 2019 9:48 am #

Ahh. Yes. I clearly see the difference.

You mean how the iNcontroL guy in the podcast said he’d never post any insults or mean things digitally to people who aren’t his friends under the iNcontroL label, yet the iNcontroL comments on this site in the past couple of years, including the one above, haven’t ever posted anything BUT insults and baseless accusations to random people visiting the site?

It’s almost as if that iNcontroL thing is a weird performance art act on blatant hypocricy, with one iNcontroL constantly doing the exact opposite of what the other preaches, almost to the point of caricature 😉

• iNcontroL May 29, 2019 9:58 am #

Nope. I said you wouldn’t find me in twitch chat talking shit about the players.

Random guys who are being obtuse and annoying? Yeah.. you must not know me very well if you think this is something new to me lol

• iNcontroL May 29, 2019 9:59 am

Also lets take a moment to watch this idiot make a claim, have it refuted, then move the goal posts and start crying about being called “an ignoramus” LOL

This is grand.

• Zweischneid May 29, 2019 10:18 am

Ahh, so just Twitch chat, nothing else?

Talking shit and accusing N. Nanavati (playing Jim Vesal, no less) of cheating with unit coherency/markings as official Twitch commentator for GW last Nova presumably also doesn’t count?

Seems an oddly specific area where shit talking is supposed to be such an unforgivable sin, while being ok everywhere else.

• abusepuppy May 29, 2019 11:14 am #

I, also, am confused by the artifices of your hu-man culture, one called Ge-off. Please explain this thing you call “friends” to me, for I have heard much of it and wish to know more. Can “friends” be eaten? Will “friends” power a spaceship? Speak to me more of these “friends” and their uses.

5. iNcontroL May 29, 2019 10:22 am #

I’m going to guess you just kinda do this forever and have an ax to grind lol. Thanks for watching all my content.

• Ishagu May 29, 2019 11:17 am #

The Internet…
      The Internet never changes…

I feel your pain, Geoff. Unfortunately nuance is lost on many…

• ghostvalley May 30, 2019 10:45 am #

This is a beautiful retort

6. JimV May 29, 2019 10:38 am #

Nick was simply moving the “nanavati 3″ which is like 2″ in real life, but 3” on camera. He def wasn’t cheating, He is just a sloppy mover and we love him for it.

• iNcontroL May 29, 2019 10:46 am #

I’d not bother responding to him. It was a comment about coherency, this troll got it wrong. He’s equating my comments as a caster saying “this looks wrong” etc as a levied accusation of active cheating from me to my peer / friend.

It’s at this point that we nod our heads and see the troll for who he is.. a lonely sad man trying to stir shit for attention. We all move along.

• TonyP May 29, 2019 11:25 am #

I love how you guys take pains to make a point and people just blow by it completely.

Congrats on the wins guys, it was a very entertaining watch!

• Zweischneid May 29, 2019 11:28 am #

Which is fine.

I have no fault with Nanavati.

I am just amused by hypocrites that go around calling people cheaters all day, but start crying like a baby as soon as somebody else throws the exact same shade their way, lol.

• JimV May 29, 2019 11:32 am #

to be fair they called me the cheater, Geoff the Meanie.

• pampreen May 29, 2019 12:10 pm #

Patrick Macaheeny’s motto is “I get 1 cheat per thousand points”. I wish the rest of us could strive to be so honest.

7. iNcontroL May 29, 2019 11:35 am #

Yes I famously go around calling everyone cheaters and crying .. that’s what I do… you got it.

uhhhhhhhhhhhg lol

• Pyrothem May 30, 2019 7:36 am #

Yup you got it Geoff! 😛
      Reality is to ones own perception of data twisted by their own mind. Objective truth is dead, wish it was not so.
      The hopes of the Information Age we find ourselves in was to enlighten the masses but that ease of use build into it has turned against it. From the little things like people not understanding the social past time of joking (mostly poor taste jokes) in times of stress, to the down right dangerous (mostly to those without a voice) Anti-vaxx movement.

One thing has become abundantly clear in this time of our civilization there is no ‘changing’ someones mind, there is no debate, there is no conversation with other human beings; just people yelling into the dark.

Anyway loved the stream, loved the games, loved the painted armies and the time people put into them. Keep pushing forward, ignore the shouts in the dark and focus on the friends in front of you.

• zero-charisma May 30, 2019 9:53 am #

i’m with Geoff mostly here but did you just make a hard statement of “down right dangerous” and then complain about there not being any debate? Just sayin

8. Paul Winters May 29, 2019 3:35 pm #

Can we here more about the Slaanesh list? That isn’t something top players mention often.

• abusepuppy May 29, 2019 8:37 pm #

It was an interesting idea, and I talked with Troy about it a bit. List was as follows:

FLAWLESS HOST BATTALION

Syll’eske
      Exalted Seeker Chariot
      Exalted Seeker Chariot
      Exalted Seeker Chariot
      Seeker Chariot

DAEMONS SUPREME COMMAND
      Daemon Prince (Wings, Talons)
      Herald of Slaanesh on Chariot
      Herald of Slaanesh on Chariot

I think there’s a core of a good idea there, although there’s definitely some improvements to be made. Also, the thought of building three Exalted Seekers makes my skin crawl.

• Paul Winters May 30, 2019 7:29 am #

I get you on the Exalted Seeker Chariots. Building 3 Hellflayers drained my soul.

My worry with Maulerfiends + Disco Lords + Chariots is just a traffic jam on the table of these large base models blocking one another.

I have a similar list I was going to try. Hoping that a 14″ advance n charge “deathstar” has some legs.

Battalion Detachment

HQ:
        Daemon Prince with Wings + Malefic talon + Warp bolter + Wings
        Lord Discordant on Helstalker + Baleflamer
        Lord Discordant on Helstalker + Baleflamer
        Lord Discordant on Helstalker + Baleflamer

• abusepuppy May 30, 2019 7:41 am #

I’d considered similar, but I’m not sure I like the mix of Daemonettes and smaller targets- it lets the enemy use all of their guns to the fullest, which doesn’t feel like a great plan. I think I would want to either use all infantry targets (e.g. Daemonettes supported by a bunch of characters, since that has gotten more viable thanks to Vigilus Ablaze) or all big targets like this list did (albeit probably with some different choices.)

The traffiic jam issue is definitely real, especially since most of those models have big bases- running Exalted Seekers over Seekers definitely helps a little bit, but not enough I think. It may also be there is some value in hybridizing with Don Hooson’s list- Heldrakes are legit good, as I’ve been saying for a while now, and they dodge some of the issues that other units can have with getting stuck on terrain. Having some Dreads in the backfield holding down home objectives also feels like a reasonable plan, since it offers you a better scoring base than the list might otherwise have.

(Also, if you’re bringing daemons and not using Syll’eske, I think you’re doing it wrong. They are fantastic.)

• NinetyNineNo May 30, 2019 1:58 pm #

Flawless Discos seem pretty sexy. Any taking the WT?

9. Mattyfresh May 29, 2019 6:17 pm #

ZWEI has some ok points here. The sarcasm if that is all it is does not fully convey on stream, casting or playing.

But most of these guys know each other hard for outsiders to fully comprehend the history there.

Props to incotrol for playing quick straightforward armies. I am also experimenting with armies like his conceptually, less moving pieces, less chance for error, etc.

• FreddieLovebeard June 4, 2019 5:48 pm #

Less moving pieces isn’t actually less chance for error. It’s less room. There’s no redundancy. Every model counts so if you mess up even a little bit you get completely ruined all at once.