Chapter Tactics #100: An Exclusive First Look at Top Lists and a Statistical Analysis of the 2019 LVO

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today Peteypab, InControl, and Abusepuppy review the most common lists, factions, detachments, and units pulled from all the submitted lists at the 2019 Las Vegas Open. Also, to celebrate reaching episode #100 Peteypab is giving away an exclusive Forgeworld model. Details in the podcast.

Show Notes:

got a list

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then email me at…

frontlinegamingpeteypab@gmail.com

Please do not send an army list in a format such as Army Builder, send them in an easy to read, typed format. Thanks!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
41 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Kevin Lantz
Kevin Lantz
3 years ago

10$ no other tau player has a list as unique as mine.

Charlie A.
Reply to  Kevin Lantz

I’m excited if you mean “as unique” as “that took as many kroot”.

Kevin Lantz
Kevin Lantz
Reply to  Kevin Lantz

nope, although if I had enough painted.. (working on it btw) I’d be like 40 kroot, 27 sniper drones, and as many firewarriors and breachers as would fit =D

My list has zero markerlights and zero firewarriors lol.

Kevin Lantz
Kevin Lantz
Reply to  Kevin Lantz

actually forgot I uploaded a list with some markerlight drones… bleh

Nikita
Nikita
3 years ago

When other lists will be available?

rvd1ofakind

rvd1ofakind
Reply to  Petey Pab

They were present 10+ episodes ago and came back in #99

Joe Beddoe
Joe Beddoe
3 years ago

Hey Geoff, for making fun of Texans you are cordially invited to let’s keep it civil, people. -Ed

Joe Beddoe
Joe Beddoe
Reply to  Joe Beddoe

Can you please pass along to Geoff that his comments and mockery were insulting and exhibited a lack of civility, then?

iNcontroL
Reply to  Joe Beddoe

Hey Pawtna! Ya’ll got ur message received in my hear ear holes and I gotta spit sumtin fierce back atcha. I ain’t got no time for no man who gits all red faced and pissy when anutter man says words in one of dem dere silly voices. If it gotcha stirrups in a bundle.. well I reckon you got a saddle wedged in a place it ain’t meant to be.

Ujayim
Ujayim
Reply to  iNcontroL

Yeethonk Kkona

Joe Beddoe
Joe Beddoe
Reply to  iNcontroL

You know, as someone that is a voice of FLG (who wants nothing more than to further their partnership with GW), someone featured on their site, and a supposed ambassador for the hobby I expected better. Being insulting and condescending will not help the brand nor expand the hobby base. But hey, obviously you know best!

Ujayim
Ujayim
Reply to  Joe Beddoe

Being unironically upset about silly accents and impressions about teasing an entire generic area is the most pants-snowflake thing I’ve read all day, and that’s with me reading a lot of Reddit.

The guys, regularly, in every podcast joke and tease:

Canadians, Australians, Abusepuppy in general, etc. All of those jokes: totally fine.

But by gummit, if you tease the lone stars they sure are sad boyz

iNcontroL
Reply to  Joe Beddoe

Yeah the guys are kinda already saying it but mate, if you think me teasing generic texan accents is hurting the game or is somehow going to drive people away from our lovely hobby I dunno what to tell you.

Please be careful next time you listen to our podcast I sometimes even tease the english and they literally created this game so I may very well destroy the game entirely.

abusepuppy
Reply to  Joe Beddoe

Geoff and I do voices all the time; this is hardly the first occurrence. If Geoff had been playing into traditional stereotypes about the region, maybe you might’ve had a point… but I am pretty sure “plays Warhammer a certain way” is not a well-known stereotype of the Deep South, and nothing he said was actually derogatory.

Kevin Lantz
Kevin Lantz
Reply to  Joe Beddoe

He has a point, the accent was inappropriately Texan… It wasore west the/Appalachian with a drop in iq.

I think the problem, and I agree with it was saying in a dumb hick drawl “I am from Texas and we think this…” If he had left a region out it would of been way funnier to me as someone who grew up in Texas.

Since he inadvertently said I was a dumb hick, I hate him……….,……,………………………………….

Kevin Lantz
Kevin Lantz
Reply to  iNcontroL

Doubling down on it…

Bold move Cotton, let’s see if it pays off…

zigzagzen
zigzagzen
Reply to  iNcontroL

The above should be read in a Sean Connery voice

JimV
JimV
3 years ago

You need to lighten up. It was classic Geoff.

sean nayden
sean nayden
3 years ago

I have not listened to an episode in a while, was a good one. I liked the info dump on statistics at the end the best might listen to that part again.

The list breakdown section was rather humorous as well as instead of taking random lists generic to the factions Pablo picked specific players lists and I could recognize almost all of them. Loved his attempt to say that the ork list was the most common representation of orks when he could have broken down the other ork list he mentioned and said that truthfully.

Begs the moral question as to what disadvantage you put these players by broadcasting their lists ahead of any other lists released from the event. Not that I particularly care, as my list is posted publicly anyway. And its not like many people can change their list.

jifel
jifel
Reply to  sean nayden

My list was one of the one’s covered, I actually got a pm asking if they could talk about it first. It might indeed be a disadvantage, but I figure the chances of it actually impacting a game outcome are pretty low. If people are prepping for my list out of the 750 people there, I won’t even be mad.

Ujayim
Ujayim
Reply to  jifel

An important perspective that’s necessary before passing judgment.

sean nayden
sean nayden
Reply to  Ujayim

jifel thats great to hear. I know that several of the other players were not granted the same reach. As I told them upon listening to the episode that their list had been talked about and we had a good laugh about it. And they intimated that they had only learned of that fact through that correspondence or other hearsay from others.

As abuse puppy says the caliber of players whose lists are being discussed here dont likely care. Im just discussing the optics of the discussion when the lists werent even finished being checked for formatting yet at the time of this episode I know that several of the lists discussed were in fact not passed by the software submission so technically could have needed changing or adjusting.

And if you in fact were warned and asked, and some others were not then that is in fact an issue.

Now thats completely different if the lists are in fact published beforehand. But for example if abusepuppy who is playing in the event is given a advanced look at lists before other players that is a bad optic.

Knowledge in any form is power. I think pre submission of lists and pre publication helps the game become more competitive. It gives people the time to break down themes and lists in general and begin the mental prep for the event. This speeds up cognitive performance at the table as you have already begun the process of breaking down an opponent in advance. At an event the morning game day two when you know who you are playing and can spend the night before going over the match and picking your secondaries and such is a powerful tool. Imagine being able to do prep work on that kind of level on your flight or travel to an event using not only your own brain but also the help of your warhammer buddies.

Basically people have been given the information and info against these 8 players.

But maybe im overthinking it. I posted my list publicly anyway before this but most people dont look to me for an example of sanity.

Yakhunter
Yakhunter
Reply to  sean nayden

Hey Sean, Peter here. I was provided the lists in advance to get a head start on data analysis for the event. I’m also the guy who selected the lists for Pablo and the crew to go over for the show.

Firstly, I take full responsibility for only asking John’s permission to submit his list. As a probably poor excuse, the reason why I did was because it was one of the first I selected after being given the task, I talk to him regularly about the game, and it was a unique enough list but also one that many people witnessed on the charityhammer stream and so would be obvious regardless of anonymity. In retrospect I fully should have just messaged everyone I could, though I know none of the other players I selected the lists from from Adam. I tried to pick lists that had already been made public via social media (like the Deathwatch list and the Drukhari lists that were not discussed), were lists we had already discussed on previous episodes of Chapter Tactics and I had felt were not given their due diligence (not that Pablo wants to give that ork list its due anyway apparently) or had elements that represented enough of that faction’s meta that it was legitimately something your average player has a good chance to see at the event. I did make an exception for the Tau list because it was so unique and we had talked the 2-3 riptide/broadside + Shadowsun list to death.

Anyway, not that it matters as that ship has sailed, but I do apologize if this somehow gave someone a feels bad moment, that was never the intent, for me it was about highlighting some of the best the hobby currently has to offer.

abusepuppy
Reply to  sean nayden

Since lists are fixed at this point for most people, I don’t see it as causing a big issue (and also we avoided using names, partly for that reason.) While I don’t doubt some players will be able to recognize specific personalities and their lists there if they try, I think the caliber of player who can do that are the kind who also don’t need/want to try and list-tailor in that fashion, since they know it isn’t going to help them.

BK
BK
3 years ago

I’ll be interested to see how that T’au army fares! Riptides, broadsides and drones for days is not my cup of tea personally from an entertainment point of view.

Paul Winters
Paul Winters
3 years ago

Are the LVO list stats available anywhere? Or is it still secret squirrel until the event?

Reecius
Admin
Reply to  Paul Winters

We’re keeping it under our hat until after we publish the lists.

Cody Irons
Cody Irons
3 years ago

Hi guys, I hear you guys talking tyranids winning CanCon but all i see on the bcp site is this:

is this not the right tournament? This has sisters of battle all over the place.

Cody Irons
Cody Irons
Reply to  Petey Pab

Thanks Petey Pab, i did some digging and saw the same explanation on facebook, sorry for double post below, my comment didn’t show up and though i did something wrong.

Cody Irons
Cody Irons
3 years ago

Hi guys, you are saying tyranids won at cancon but when i look at bestcoastparings site it is showing sisters won, what is up with that?

Alpharius Walks
Alpharius Walks
3 years ago

Regarding the amount of time that Orks can take, is there any reason someone who wants to compete seriously would not be bringing a chess clock? I dislike using them but with functionally not knowing anyone I will play at the LVO I definitely be using a physical chess clock each round to avoid scenarios like that.

After investing the money/time in buying and painting a 40k army and then travelling to the LVO it seems silly not to spend $20 on a functional chess clock.

Part of the reluctance on Yarrick may just be that heavy IG lists should have enough screening and small arms fire to not fear Orks. So why would you pay +50 pts. over Harker (assuming Catachan as Cadia already has the doctrine) to improve a not particularly common matchup that you already have a strong advantage in?

Reecius
Admin
3 years ago

Yeah, plus you’ll have it forever after that, it’s a one time investment.

Casey Schmitz
Casey Schmitz
3 years ago

I was listening to this interested in the Death Guard meta. Nothing was said about them at all until the final minutes when it was said that they are 56 DG players? LOL I’m not a math guy but that sounds more popular than 8% but you talked about Orks a ton.

WestRider
Reply to  Casey Schmitz

56 DG lists is about 7% of the field of ~800 players, so yeah, there actually are more Ork lists if they’re 8%.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x