Chapter Tactics #99: An Early Look Into Australian Next Gen Stats and Looking at the Pre-LVO Meta

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today Peteypab and the Falcon talk about the upcoming Australian ITC Championships at Cancon, and the impact The Down Under Network’s next gen stats will have on 40k tournament coverage and meta analysis. They also cover 5 tournaments that happened this weekend and get a clearer picture of the LVO meta.

Show Notes:

got a list

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then email me at…

frontlinegamingpeteypab@gmail.com

Please do not send an army list in a format such as Army Builder, send them in an easy to read, typed format. Thanks!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
21 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
rvd1ofakind
rvd1ofakind
3 years ago

Audio errors are back. The ones where people repeat themselves and then fast forward.

Petey Pab
Petey Pab
Reply to  rvd1ofakind

Hey rvd do you have any timestamps? When I listened to the audio playback on my end while editing it I didn’t encounter anything like that.

It may just be time to get a new recording program honestly. I sometimes encounter similar problems when connections are bad or when i’m recording people over longer distances. (Like from Australia to Canada).

rvd1ofakind
rvd1ofakind
Reply to  Petey Pab

Example of a slight audio error at 43:33 “which is kinda… which is kinda interesting”… “60 plaguebearers with the sloppity bil–in that daemons detachment”

rvd1ofakind
rvd1ofakind
Reply to  Petey Pab

The timestamp I posted was 100% an audio glitch. There are way more exactly like that in the episode. This is the same glitch that used to happen in the previous episodes. Someone repeats themselves and then fast forwards
the amount of time that they repeated themselves. You’ve fixed it before but now it’s back.

Tanta
Tanta
3 years ago

I gave it another chance because I’m interested in the Australian scene, but this is really amature level audio. I’m out again, hopefully it’s fixed by the time there’s another topic interesting enough to pull me back in, if ever. You have a patreon going now Pab, there’s no real excuse for it. It’s funny because the audio was acting up in the same string of thought that saw you talking about people complaining about the audio acting up. These problems have been here at least since I started listening a year ago. Rather than asking for more money, take what you’ve already been given, invest the smallest amount into creating a higher quality listening experience, and hold on to what listeners you do have. Good luck.

Ujayim
Ujayim
3 years ago

The mixed detachments are a shame, but they’re the direct result of (Let’s be blunt here) a lot of the faction benefits being bad.

abusepuppy
Reply to  Ujayim

Mmm. In a lot of cases, that’s not true- for example, I’ve never been willing to break my faction bonus for my Tau or Craftworlds armies, because they’re too critical to how they play. Ditto with many of the other factions, including xenos, loyalists, and heretics.

That said, there certainly are a number of them that are very lackluster (such as the Daemonic Loci) and could use some help.

Ujayim
Ujayim
Reply to  abusepuppy

I’d say it’s true for a lot of the good subfactions, like Tau, Craftworld, Catachan, etc.

Daemonic Loci is a great example of a bad one, but the typically 3-4 “Chapter Tactics” each army has that never sees use is mostly what I was talking about.

abusepuppy
Reply to  Ujayim

Hmm. Well, part of that is the nature of competitive play- only the very best of the best will get used, so even a razor-thin margin of difference is enough for something to fall into the “why bother” pile.

A good example of this might be the IG Regiments. For quite a while, Cadian was the default- it let you improve your core competency and had a great stratagem, which made it enough to be used by almost every Guard player (albeit with a splash of Tallaran in most.) But as the meta has shifted and the needs of the army have changed, Catachan has become almost completely predominant, to the point where seeing anything else is a rarity. Only the “best” subfaction trait ever sees much use, but which one is “best” can change even when the rules stay the same.

JimV
JimV
3 years ago

Any podcast with me mentioned is such great terms is awesome. Keep it up! Also I can’t tell you about the secret of the scorpius. Those who know, know.

Rathstar
Rathstar
3 years ago

Hi Petey Pab, Great episode as always, but you are so wrong about how Tau have always played. They have only been a static gunline since 6th & 7th edition. Previously they have been a mobile gunline, combining a moving gunline incorporating infiltrating and deepstrike. Static gunlines were left to the Guard. Unfortunately since crisis suits have not been good for some time has led to them being a more static gunline, as their best units have long range. I could go on, but I’ll let AbusePuppy chew you out on that !

Hopefully with the new Chapter Approved Missions, and the points adjustments to crisis suits & ghostkeels will mean Tau will revert more towards their roots. They used to play more like their background and I hope they will go back to that, however seeing Mani’s triple broadside list I’m not so sure.

Kevin Lantz
Kevin Lantz
Reply to  Rathstar

Back when Tau was “fish of fury” and other silly stuff I won many tournaments with gun line broadside spam… I wouldn’t take how the attached and Tau community thought, as indicative of how past played….

They have always been a gun line qmry with some mobile elements from specialty units (crisis suits)

abusepuppy
Reply to  Rathstar

Tau were not a static gunline during either 6E or 7E, and mostly are still not a static gunline even now. Static armies don’t work with progressive-scoring missions and very rarely win tournaments.

Salty
Salty

‘Straya

Alamo Melt
Alamo Melt
3 years ago

I’m confused about the person using a Harlequins detachment with multiple masque forms, one for the Death Jesters and another for the Solitaire. My book reads “If your army is Battle-forged, all units in a Harlequins detachment gain a Masque Form, so long as every unit in that detachment is from the same masque.”

My understanding of that wording is that if you’re mixing and matching the Masques, you don’t get the associated Forms (bonuses) so what am I missing?

abusepuppy
Reply to  Alamo Melt

You give up the Form bonus, but you gain the option for using relics or stratagems from different Masques, which is sometimes more valuable.

Alamo Melt
Alamo Melt
Reply to  abusepuppy

Got it, thank you.

Ross
Ross
3 years ago

PeteyPab, a professional audio person is called a Sound Engineer.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x