Chapter Tactics #53: Analyzing and Predicting the Meta at the LVO

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today PeteyPab, Val, and Incontrol focus on the Gatekeeper armies, Lists, and strategies they expect to see in the LVO, and how players can deal with them. Also, the LVO Head Judges have some announcements about the event, and Val has some juicy statistics regarding the top 20 ranked players in the ITC.

Show Notes:

• Wondering where to find live coverage of the LVO? Click here for a comprehensive guide!
  • I would like to thank the sponsors of today’s episode, The guys from the Flying Monkey Con and the gents who run the Barrie Bash. Check them out if you want more of your tabletop gaming fix!
  • Want to advertise on Chapter Tactics? Email me! I offer standard industry rates, with a special rate discount for TO’s and event organizers who want to promote their events to a larger audience.
  • Click here for a link for information on downloading best coast pairings app where you can find lists for most of the events I mentioned.
  • Chapter Tactics is back! With Weekly episodes and a lot of tactical insight, this is your place for all things 40k in 8th edition.
  • Check out the last episode of Chapter Tactics here. Or, click here for a link to a full archive of all of my episodes.
  • Want more tactical information about the new edition? Check out our 8th Edition article archive to help get a leg up on the competition!
  • Commercial music by Music by: www.bensound.com
  • Intro by: Justin Mahar

The Barrie Bash is only a month away! Get your tickets now before it’s too late. Click here for more information.

got a list

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then email me at…

frontlinegamingpeteypab@gmail.com

Please do not send an army list in a format such as Army Builder, send them in an easy to read, typed format. Thanks!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

28 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #53: Analyzing and Predicting the Meta at the LVO”

1. rvd1ofakind January 22, 2018 1:15 am

Might be the best episode so far.

2. Joseph Rexer January 22, 2018 6:28 am

Is there a place to email a pic of my cout as modle so that i can get an official answer?

• Petey Pab
      petey pab January 22, 2018 9:59 am

Email contact@frontlinegaming.org, though you may not get a response immediately, we are very busy with LVO preparations.

• Joseph g Rexer January 22, 2018 12:29 pm

3. iNcontroL January 22, 2018 9:42 am

what a great show 😉

4. Donthemagnificent January 22, 2018 9:48 am

Thank you guys for the shout out. Keep up the good work. And I look forward to seeing you guys this weekend.

5. CWDub January 22, 2018 10:58 am

Not looking for an official answer (not attending LVO and don’t want to drop an e-mail for a less-than-urgent question) but I do have a question about basing as I want to get into competitve 40k this year. I play Nids and Genestealer Cult and have a bunch of the Space Hulk genestealers; my “regular” GS models are flocked/based but the Space Hulk models have their own bases as part of the model (see: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vistmlTunik/VWSz3hMCt2I/AAAAAAAAGpI/whNQ3K1nr_0/s1600/symbiontenrotte1.jpg for an example).

Would I have an issue playing at an ITC event with these models as long as I have them glued onto 32mm’s with the rest of my GS models and everything is at a 3-color standard?

• iNcontroL January 22, 2018 11:13 am

9 times out of 10 you’d have no issue. As they are not the “standard” bases if you ever tried to argue LoS to your guys REALLY hard or something you’d probably look bad/be ruled against. Whenever you customize or use non standard models you kinda forfeit any ability to discuss what can / cannot see them or charge surfaces etc.

As long as you’re cool with that nobody is going to grab your wrist and drag you out the door. If you are argumentative and use words like “well they shouldn’t be able to see them if I had them on normal bases” etc.. then maybe don’t.

• CWDub January 22, 2018 11:36 am

Cool. Thanks for the reply, incontrol!

Not sweating that at all, I’m usually pretty permissive on LoS (especially in 8th) and in general unless someone is trying to do something off the wall.

6. Mike January 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Question about some comments you folks made about Psychic – you guys said Doom (among other debuffs) could be cast without line of sight. Where are you getting that info? I thought all powers required line of sight unless stated otherwise and Doom doesn’t say you don’t require line of sight… what am I missing?

• iNcontroL January 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Does it say you NEED line of sight? If it doesn’t say that you are good to go.

I personally don’t know what the rule says for that power so I stayed out of the convo.

Reecius January 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Power need LoS only if the power says so.

• Petey Pab
      Petey pab January 22, 2018 12:58 pm

As Reece said, the power needs to specifically say “Target model/unit in Line of Sight” or “Visible target unit/model”. Otherwise you don’t need LOS

7. John Lennon
    jifel January 22, 2018 12:56 pm

*realizes he has played against Geoff with Tyranids*

damn… :'(

8. Mike January 22, 2018 1:12 pm

Wowza! Need to go reread all of my psychic powers…

9. Donthemagnificent January 22, 2018 11:47 pm

Awesome show. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Vegas this weeken

10. RabbitMaster January 23, 2018 6:31 am

So much soupy shade cast upon a poor – now castaway – sister player 😀
    I never played soup, shame on you Pablo 😀
    All my armies were properly sisters per ITC terms (biggest detachment being sister, etc…). Overall in points it was like 75% sisters, 25% allies of various nature (depending on the meta).

I’m certainly already missing not being at the LVO this year… I would have loved to be there and try sneaking in top 8 with my girls !

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab January 23, 2018 11:58 am

Wish you could make it out here bud! I know your army wasn’t as bad as some of the soup armies we see regularly. I would love to hear your take on the meta now, because you dominated in an era with almost no codices, malefic lord spam, and guard spam.

• RabbitMaster January 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Well…. my meta is pretty easy: there is none lol. Except for last week-end (french ETC qualifiers), I haven’t played a game in 4 months. New place to live plus new job equals not as much 40k time as I’d like.
        Plus my meta technically changed a letter, from ITC to ETC, so really different 🙂

But for sure my usual army from this summer would have a harder time now that most big armies have shenanigans (legion tactics, strats, relics, etc…). I already started to feel the shift back in LA when CSM got their codex and suddenly Magnus could go to 3++. That’s why I had to revise my list for Nova and change the allies part.

11. CWDub January 23, 2018 8:02 am

Meant to e-mail this to you, Petey Pab, but I’ll post it here instead:

I completely and 100% disagree with your position on Patreon. I listen to 3 or 4 40k podcasts regularly during my incredibly boring first job, occasionally during my somewhat boring second job, and constantly during my commute between the two or when I’m painting models. I have no problem chipping in a buck or two (or more) a month if I’m getting 2-3 hours of content/month that keeps me sane.

I don’t have much time to get many games in (once a week AT BEST, usually more like 2x/month) and like to listen to podcasts and pick up tricks/codex info so I can stomp out the scrubs in my gaming group (just kidding, lads).

If chipping in a few bucks helps you get a better mic at home, a better rig for the other co-hosts to SKype in, or helps travel gas/air fare to a tourny that I get to hear about, then I’m more than happy to kick that your way. I don’t really believe in “free rides.”

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab January 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks man, that’s probably the most flattering way someone has disagreed with me. Please, allow me to bring up another point. I also love the idea of giving event organizers and TOs advertisement space. I charge them at a reduced rate, and help the community. On paper it just seems like the best option to me. We will see how the next few months go.

12. RabbitMaster January 23, 2018 8:53 am

So much soupy shade cast on a poor – now castaway – sister player ! Shame on you PeteyPab 😀
    I never played soup my good sir ! All my armies were properly Adepta Sororitas per ITC rules (biggest detachment sister, etc…). Overall, in points it was even something like 75% sister and 25% allies of various nature depending on the meta.

Since you’re mean like that I won’t come to this year LVO 😉
    But I’ll still miss seing and playing you guys 🙁 ETC format is interesting, but not as fun as ITC.

• SaltyJohn
      SaltyJohn January 23, 2018 10:13 am

LOL he plays Sister Pablo, FFS give the guy a break on having a few non terrible units in the army besides Celestine 😉

I kid of course Adrienne whoops my ass every time we play 🙁

13. Pharun January 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi guys this was a great Podcast and i want to ask you a rules question here because i don’t go to the LVO (but would like to maybe next year).

I play Tau and there is a Situation we don’t know the right answer to it.

So Swarmloard attacks My Tau-Commander in Close Combat and hits him and wounds him with a 6. So now the Damage of Swarmloards Attack would do Normal Damage + 1 Mortal Wound. If i use Savior Protocol from a Shield Drone how does it interact?
    A, I take 1 Mortal Wound on the Drone and can make a 5+ FNP
    B, I take 1 Mortal Wound on the Drone and can make a 5+ FNP and one additional Mortal Wound for the Drone Sqad
    C,I take 1 Mortal Wound on the Drone and can make a 5+ FNP and one additional Mortal Wound for the Commander (and could make a seperate Savior Protocol for that wound?)

I would like to hear what you say about it and if there is a ruling/FAQ i don’t know.

• Blight1 January 23, 2018 10:24 pm

I think that the FAQs at least clarify that the mortal wound is resolved first and separately from the damage of the attack. So savior protocol the mortal wound then do it again for the regular wound.

• AbusePuppy January 24, 2018 12:38 am

Mortal wounds are always resolved one at a time, as though they were individual damage (even if they came from an attack that deals multiple mortal wounds at once, or a mortal wound and other damage.) So it would correspond with your example “C” above.

14. thegreymouser January 26, 2018 9:33 am

Great show. My favorite to listen to. You guys mentioned a 2 podcasts guy guys trying to be better turny players. Sounds like the best general. What are the name of the podcasts so I can give it a try?

thanks

Gray

15. Tim Smith February 2, 2018 9:40 am

Pablo
    Great episode
    You mentioned on the podcast Brandon Grant talks about his list somewhere but I can’t catch where it is. Even tried relistening to catch it lol.
    Where was it please as I loved his list
    Thanks