Chapter Tactics #182: What Forgeworld’s New Role is in 40k 9th Edition

Today Pablo, Sean, and Ben talk about the Forgeworld compendium and it’s impact on 40k in 9th edition. They also talk about the best competitive forgeworld units and the biggest winners and losers out of the book.

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game.

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then sign up for our Patreon where you can join our official Facebook group page, get in contact with all the show’s co-hosts, watch exclusive content, and win free prizes!

• Head on over to 40kstats.com for more faction stats for all major ITC tournaments!
  • Support us on Patreon this month and get a chance to receive random stuff from us!
  • Click here for a link for information on downloading best coast pairings app where you can find lists for most of the events I mention.
  • Check out the last episode of Chapter Tactics here. Or, click here for a link to a full archive of all of our episodes.
  • Check out Skari on Skaredcast, for excellent 40k tactics videos and Monday Meta analysis.
  • Commercial music by: www.bensound.com
  • Intro by: Justin Mahar

And remember, Frontline Gaming sells gaming products at a discount, every day in their webcart!

secondhandhsop

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

9 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #182: What Forgeworld’s New Role is in 40k 9th Edition”

1. Avatar
    Quasistellar November 3, 2020 7:58 am #

Great content and discussion but you guys have to address the constant clicking and typing noise. Stop recording, figure out who is doing it, make them stop, them start recording again

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab November 3, 2020 8:38 am #

That is 100% my bad. I apologized to our audio editor Panda for that. She went in there and cleaned up quite a bit and made the episode a lot more listenable. Basically it came down to a couple issues, all completely avoidable on my end and the audio shouldn’t be like that again.

It wasn’t caught until after the episode was finished, as the audio was on my end. It’s not the job of the co-hosts to let me know. That is all on me.

Sorry if it bothers you, but I listened to the entire episode again after recording and it is (IMO) very much listenable.

2. Avatar
    Chaz November 4, 2020 12:53 am #

> Rejoin wh40k in 6th, dip toes into competitive play in 7th.
    > Play CSM and Renegades & Heretics, à la Alpha Legion + Vraks Renegade Unending Host
    > Get kurb stomped by grav spam, Decurion, Triptides + Seer Council, Battle Company, Riptide Wings and other balanced GW rules in 7th.
    > Give up playing 40k, switch to Shadow War and 30k due to too much balance in GW ruleswriting.
    > 8th.
    > Get R&H rules in FW Index. MuchRejoicing.jpg
    > Has self-respect, so begin converting up a Malefic Lord rather than playing a IG guardsman as Malefic Lord.
    > Malefic Lords nerfed.
    > A few months of glory with Infiltrating Cultist spam, CSMs unusable.
    > Many Cultist nerfs later.
    > Proceed to get kurb stomped by players who play but can’t spell Ynnari, Vengeance for Cadia/Relic of Lost Cadia IG, Castellans + Smash Captains, and the new Codex Astartes and other balanced GW rulesets in 8th.
    > 9th.
    > Cultists once again cost more than Guardsmen.
    > Loyalists and assorted Aquila polishers still have training wheels.
    > New SM codex for the second time in a year.
    > GW takes over FW ruleswriting.
    > FW INDEX UPDATE. MUCHREJOICING.JPG
    > Get squatted.
    > Listen to Chapter Tactics talk about the new compendium.
    > No mention of R&H. Dreadclaw okay. Get told it’s FW that writes imbalanced rules.

Joking and tongue in cheek comments aside, FW’s role is providing rules for 30k units to be allowed to be used in casual 40k. They’re not supporting their previous armies, so for the foreseeable future, one shouldn’t start collecting FW in 40k.

abusepuppy November 4, 2020 7:48 am #

It’s plausible we’ll see R&H introduced in a standalone book, but I think it’s safe to say that they won’t be good.

Chaz November 9, 2020 1:02 am #

Maybe, but I’m not gonna hold my breath. The hope would obviously be a GW codex for R&H, but hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. We’re in the same boat as the Corsairs, Elysians etc., so at least we have company!

Keep up the good work; I really enjoy the content you guys at both ITFH and CT put out 🙂

3. Avatar
    Zweischneid November 4, 2020 5:16 am #

Part of FW (including things like AT, etc..) is the alternative marketing. Like Harry Potter novels with “adult covers/sleeves” because some readers dislike the bright, “childish” primary colours. All the muted colours, more “serious” writing for things like Badab War, HH, etc..

It’s Marines for people who think “GW Marines” are too silly. 40K for people who think “GW 40k” is too silly.

(inversely, things like Blood Bowl is Warhammer for people who things the vanilla flavour is not silly enough, etc..).

4. Avatar
    Agent X November 5, 2020 7:31 am #

The audio is SUPER low and I can barely hear you guys talking (was this done post edit to remove the clicking issue mentioned above?)

However…the commercial audio is normal and blasted when it came on

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab November 6, 2020 12:54 pm #

Hello, I had no issue listening to it on the drive to work or when I had to go in there and determine how listenable the episode was. Do you have a particular timestamp where the audio was at it’s quietest?

Agent X November 9, 2020 7:21 am #

I think this may be a personal bug.

I have noticed it with other audio streams since I made this post.

I think the latest phone update has bugged my audio settings. Whenever I turn off the screen the audio is dropping to a whisper level now.

Sorry for the false alarm