Chapter Tactics #175: How to Revamp the ITC Teams for Competitive Play

Today Peteypab goes on two rants and the guys discuss how to remake the ITC Teams. They also go over the weekend preview and GW’s direction for factions in 9th edition.

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game.

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then sign up for our Patreon where you can join our official Facebook group page, get in contact with all the show’s co-hosts, watch exclusive content, and win free prizes!

• Head on over to 40kstats.com for more faction stats for all major ITC tournaments!
  • Support us on Patreon this month and get a chance to receive random stuff from us!
  • Click here for a link for information on downloading best coast pairings app where you can find lists for most of the events I mention.
  • Check out the last episode of Chapter Tactics here. Or, click here for a link to a full archive of all of our episodes.
  • Check out Skari on Skaredcast, for excellent 40k tactics videos and Monday Meta analysis.
  • Commercial music by: www.bensound.com
  • Intro by: Justin Mahar

And remember, Frontline Gaming sells gaming products at a discount, every day in their webcart!

secondhandhsop

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

11 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #175: How to Revamp the ITC Teams for Competitive Play”

1. Avatar
    Shawn Prosser September 15, 2020 10:18 am #

Listened to the latest podcast, specifically regarding the ITC Team position of the cast. I took notes on the good and bad as pointed out by y’all. I agree with a lot of what was said but I am a little concerned with the idea that Team Texas “taking over a state/region” is a bad thing. Covid aside, this has been a long time coming because for years we have rolled into events out of the Lonestar Republic in small numbers (two to maybe five) and tried to compete for under our local team name. Now Team Texas is actually a competitive ITC team you have issues on max player cap size? For years Beast Coast, for example, was HUGE and loaded with talent but no issues with them?

Team Texas formed partly because of all the hate the Texas meta received from outside the state. We, team members, are the guys/gals, that travel around the state to play in events from Dallas to San Antonio, from Houston to El Paso and finish in Austin. We also see each other routinely in local RTTs so it made sense to us to work together to represent the state as as a unified team outside of our local Texas Circuit.

I’ve been playing this hobby since 1992, when I was stationed in the UK. I got all three of my teens into the hobby as well. I have a ton of time/life invested in this hobby. It seems that now we are quickly growing the hobby in Texas. So I, personally, am trying to keep this train rolling. As it stands right now you cannot go to a local RTT without running into players who are ranked well in ITC for their factions. The meta down here is real. So our goal as Team Texas was to show players outside Texas that we can be competitive and we are succeeding.

I do like the idea of a tiered team league if it comes down to it. I played competitive softball and darts so tiered league play works. But it takes a ton of work from the governing body. However, it could work given a shaking out period. One thing I would be concerned with though when thinking of the “vetting” aspect of a proposed new team type play.

The ITC governors would have to make it very clear what was being vetted. What was “good or bad” for lack of better phrasing. I would hate to see players get “cancelled” for views (i.e.: politics) that have no bearing on the hobby. Just a thought since we have a slice of society as a whole playing this hobby and need to be cognizant of that fact.

I guess what it boils down to is this, I enjoy the hobby. I like listening to the podcast. I really enjoy competitive ITC individual and teams play. But c’mon guys, it seems like you are calling out Team Texas twice as less than stellar examples of the patrons of the hobby?

Respectfully,

Shawn Prosser

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab September 15, 2020 12:28 pm #

Beast Coast was one of the mega teams we mentioned in the podcast… I literally called them out by name.

I feel like you’re being pretty sensitive, considering we also spent a chunk of the podcast talking about why teams are good and why people should join them. Why wouldn’t the positive things we said about ITC teams also apply to Team Texas?

There is no conspiracy here, and I agree with you on the course of action the ITC would need to take as a governing body. I believe we also agree on the fact that maybe the ITC Teams can be revamped and expanded on and if changes were to happen we have a lot of angles to consider.

Good job creating a community in Texas, and keep it up.

2. Avatar
    Shawn Prosser September 15, 2020 12:54 pm #

Not being overly sensitive. Just wanted to add some context and ask some questions/provide feedback to the podcast.

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab September 15, 2020 2:01 pm #

Could you clarify your feedback from the post please? Always looking to improve.

3. Avatar
    Adam September 15, 2020 2:29 pm #

You shall hear from my lawyers for hte SLANDER! of my good name!

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab September 15, 2020 2:55 pm #

Your name better be the first one on the lawsuit 😉

4. Avatar
    Shawn Prosser September 15, 2020 2:30 pm #

Petey Pab

The tiered system paragraph. Great idea and easily understood by guys who play softball. You can have your serious comp players in A B tier and then ratchet it down to D or E fluff bunny-beer guys. The only thing would be how would TOs rank their events for players?

I think in the short term there may be some gnashing of teeth, especially as things get sorted. But I think long term it will be exciting and help grow the hobby. It also makes it so that A, B tier players would be big names for events to put on Twitch stream or even sponsorship (meeting one of the ideas talked about in the podcast).

Thanks for the response!

5. Avatar
    Rob Butcher September 16, 2020 5:40 am #

itc ??

tournaments ??

I’ll wait for GW to safely organise them again

abusepuppy September 16, 2020 8:12 am #

No you won’t, you’ll bitch about how non-GW tournaments “don’t count” and then cite sources but get them wrong such that the things you cite actually prove the _other_ person to be correct.

6. Avatar
    BestCoastCasey September 17, 2020 1:10 pm #

Some good stuff but, you mixed too many different topics under one umbrella…

Teams vs Clubs is a thing

Clubs vs Team Events is a thing

Competitiveness as a whole is a thing

You should talk about each of those as the separate topics they are….

– Have Teams(lets be honest these are Clubs currently) grown to the point where they need to be officially capped/broken up/tiered?

– Team Events have specific side-effects in the ITC. Points distribution, incentives, the aforementioned Club vs Team distinction.

– Has ITC as a whole gotten to the point where there needs to be some kind of line/tier between “The Best” and “The Rest”

7. Avatar
    DaRoyalKing September 23, 2020 11:02 am #

I would love to see the team size be limited to 8 or top 8 scores get counted per team. This could lead to a yearly ETC style club tournament matching the 8 player format they do overseas.