Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today Peteypab and Geoff pick the brains of Sean Nayden. The Best Overall player at the 2018 LVO, and Captain of the American ETC team.

Show Notes:

• Click here for a link for information on downloading best coast pairings app where you can find lists for most of the events I mention.
  • Chapter Tactics is back! With Weekly episodes and a lot of tactical insight, this is your place for all things 40k in 8th edition.
  • Check out the last episode of Chapter Tactics here. Or, click here for a link to a full archive of all of my episodes.
  • Want more tactical information about the new edition? Check out our 8th Edition article archive to help get a leg up on the competition!
  • Commercial music by Music by: www.bensound.com
  • Intro by: Justin Mahar

got a list

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then email me at…

frontlinegamingpeteypab@gmail.com

Please do not send an army list in a format such as Army Builder, send them in an easy to read, typed format. Thanks!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

24 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #65: Interview w/ Sean Nayden, What are Dark Eldar’s Place in the Meta?”

1. rvd1ofakind May 7, 2018 7:45 pm #

No actual podcast tho 🙁

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab May 7, 2018 10:42 pm #

Fixed, sorry about that!

2. KingCro May 8, 2018 5:58 am #

Jesus what a difficult interview. Props to Geoff and Pablo for trying super hard to get Sean to give more than just a oneword response. Really saved the episode.

• John L'Heureux May 10, 2018 5:31 am #

100% Agree. Sean seemed very disinterested with the whole thing. Geoff and Pablo tried their damnedest.

3. Jonny Eklund May 8, 2018 6:12 am #

Interested in Sean’s posts faq double avatar list. Is it posted anywhere?

• Petey Pab
      Peteypab May 8, 2018 6:23 am #

Sadly no, I would BCP stalk him around June. He may run more serious lists for the ETC and ATC. You never know with Sean.

4. Xerxus May 8, 2018 7:43 am #

I don’t know if Sean was being cagey because he wants to keep his true opinions secret until the ETC deadline or if he is just difficult to interview. Either way this episode didn’t do much for me.

• rvd1ofakind May 8, 2018 8:09 am #

Sad but true. His contributions were pretty much “they don’t fight in close combat, I don’t care lol” or “they fight in close combat so they’re cool” :/

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab May 8, 2018 9:17 am #

Sean is an enigma. It may have just been the subject matter. He seemed to do pretty well when he was on the Long War. Though to be fair, there were 4 other guys on that show and he wasn’t the focal point.

• Agent X May 8, 2018 9:21 am #

I’m a nobody newbie in the hobby so my opinion probably doesn’t carry much weight but that was a painful podcast to listen to

I don’t know if Sean is always like that or if he was goofing around but it was uncomfortable to listen to (which is the exact opposite of the reason I like this podcast…you guys normally have a great back and forth banter it is like listening to long friends shoot the breeze)

It reminded me of Andy Kaufman or Joaquin Phoenix pulling their schtick

Kudos to Sean for his great skill in the game but he is not a good media figure / ambassador for the game.

• Whiskie May 8, 2018 12:38 pm #

I completely agree. I’m returning to the hobby after a years long hiatus (there were no 40K podcasts back when I was playing!) and it’s awesome to see how much the landscape has changed. But I couldn’t get through this episode, it was like pulling teeth to get any sort of answer out of the guest.

5. John Lennon
    jifel May 8, 2018 11:10 am #

Glad it wasn’t just me that thought this. Best part was Geoff’s frustration with trying to get a real answer out of Sean, that got a sympathetic chuckle out of me. I appreciate that he was trying to herd the cats towards something insightful.

6. Jeff Poole May 8, 2018 2:09 pm #

I want to mirror the frustration with the guest on this episode. Did Sean actually indicate that he was OK with being interviewed beforehand? It seems like he didn’t understand he was a guest on a podcast and that the subject of the interview was to obtain his tactical insight on the state of the game and Dark Eldar. It certainly made the entire episode hard to listen to. Pablo and Geoff should have stopped recording in the beginning and talked some sense into Sean, or just done it while recording and edited it out. I guess good job at trying to pull something interesting out of the interview.

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab May 8, 2018 4:28 pm #

He agreed to come on, yes. The ultimate reason why I decided to air the episode was because I felt like there was more good in it than bad. I think Sean warmed up after he realized he may have to actually build a list that I could win with (a real impossible task).

Also, how do you know we didn’t do that if we edited it out, hm?

• masterstrider May 8, 2018 11:20 pm #

Geez, that was pretty painful to listen you. Obviously Sean isn’t known for his award winning personality.

Pablo, you must have the patience of a saint. I applaud you for salvaging the interview as best you did. Big thumbs up to you.

7. greymouser May 8, 2018 6:40 pm #

I liked the episode . Have him back please, and keep polity pressing him with questions. It was fun to listen to

Mouser

8. Anggul May 9, 2018 4:45 am #

Teach me the ways of the Avatar O Sean!

Started a bit awkward but got good and insightful, thanks for the episode. It’s also just entertaining hearing Geoff trying to wrangle Sean. The best players are always the enigmas.

9. GhostValley May 9, 2018 5:23 am #

I enjoyed the episode. I liked Sean’s clashing style and low-key sass. Hidden behind his casual dismissal of some things, you could glean some good insight.

10. Hector Rex May 9, 2018 6:14 am #

Did Sean even know he was being interviewed?

His answer to a Tau question ‘what do you see Tay players taking post faq’ summed up how farcical this was.

Sean: ‘some things and some stuff’

Always love seeing Sean’s lists, but feel like if he doesn’t want to talk about his perspective on 40k he shouldn’t do interviews.

11. Nightman May 9, 2018 7:46 am #

Great episode, funny as hell!

12. PrimoFederalist May 10, 2018 3:43 pm #

What a dumpster fire. If he didn’t want to answer questions or have a conversation about 40k tactics, he shouldn’t have agreed to be a guest on a podcast about 40k tactics. Sorry I listened to it. I’d genuinely love to hear what specific insights those who liked the interview gained from the guest.

13. grimdango May 10, 2018 3:53 pm #

Yay close combat!

• Sean Nayden May 11, 2018 3:54 pm #

Yay close combat!

14. UpsideDown May 15, 2018 8:12 am #

I was very interested in this topic, as I’m returning to the game and the only models I have left are some old Dark Eldar.

Can you try to talk about this topic again? This was not super helpful. Thanks!