Chapter Tactics #61: Adepticon, and Custodes, and Flyrants Oh My

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today PeteyPab brings on Adepticon 40k Champ Matt Root, and Geoff to talk about their Adepticon performances. If you want to hear some great tactics stuff from two high level players or want to know how to perform well using Custodes this is the episode for you. Afterwards, we discuss the upcoming GW FAQ and the state of the meta preceding Adepticon.

Show Notes:

• Want to advertise on Chapter Tactics? Email me! I offer standard industry rates, with a special rate discount for TO’s and event organizers who want to promote their events to a larger audience.
  • Click here for a link for information on downloading best coast pairings app where you can find lists for most of the events I mentioned.
  • Chapter Tactics is back! With Weekly episodes and a lot of tactical insight, this is your place for all things 40k in 8th edition.
  • Check out the last episode of Chapter Tactics here. Or, click here for a link to a full archive of all of my episodes.
  • Want more tactical information about the new edition? Check out our 8th Edition article archive to help get a leg up on the competition!
  • Commercial music by Music by: www.bensound.com
  • Intro by: Justin Mahar

got a list

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then email me at…

frontlinegamingpeteypab@gmail.com

Please do not send an army list in a format such as Army Builder, send them in an easy to read, typed format. Thanks!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

15 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #61: Adepticon, and Custodes, and Flyrants Oh My”

1. rvd1ofakind April 3, 2018 5:29 am #

One of the best episodes:
    sick bants,
    high ranking pro players,
    great recap,
    amazingly funny luck story(and I thought my 4 failed 2+ into 4 failed 5+ (with full re-rolls) was bad)

• rvd1ofakind April 3, 2018 5:30 am #

Really hope you can get more major tournament winners on, they have great input.

Ps: wow the community is split between Supreme command lovers and haters

• iNcontroL April 3, 2018 8:11 am #

Pablo has those connections.. I’m sure we can get more champions on. Also, thanks for the kind words <3

• rvd1ofakind April 3, 2018 9:06 am #

I watch a lot of Dota tournaments and even the best casters/analysts have their “off” events. But you just don’t have an “off” switch it seems. Everytime you’re on anything I’m just laughing my ass off constantly WHILE learning new things: chapter tactics, SC2 events, SCR events. Watching the SC20 stream now and it’s amazing.

Reecius April 3, 2018 9:12 am

Yeah, Geoff literally CAN’T turn it off, lol, even when you’re hanging out and you’re like, Geoff, please turn it off! hahaha =P

2. iNcontroL April 3, 2018 11:10 am #

I’m always turned on 😉

^______________________________^;;

3. abusepuppy April 4, 2018 8:18 am #

Great episode, guys. I was particularly struck by one comment in particular, which I’m paraphrasing slightly here, something to the effect of “Nick wasn’t the only guy to bring a list like his, but the other players who brought it weren’t as good as he was and that’s why he was winning with it.” A lot of times there’s the perception that good lists are “obvious” or that they are simple to play correctly, which absolutely the case. Some lists are, of course, simpler than others, but as Geoff and Matt both show (not to mention the other top players from the event, who deserve credit as well), the skill of the player at the helm makes all the difference. Most players who are vaguely competent get that Flyrants are good, but how many would’ve thought to sacrifice them in order to gain board presence the way Matt did? Lots of people are running Custodes as an ally or primary force, but how many of them understand the need for the IG and Assassins to shore up weaknesses of the army?

Really good to hear about the games in detail and some great talk about the meta in general as well. A++ on the show.

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab April 4, 2018 10:54 am #

Right? It baffles me when people consistently say (even some prominent TOs) that 40k is not a compeitive game, and is just “Plastic army men”. In my opinion the fact that skill is primarily a means to success means 40k is a viably competitive game.

• Laurence April 5, 2018 11:50 am #

Couldn’t agree more with this. To Pablo’s credit he has even been humble enough to admit he doesn’t do too well competitively, despite taking “net lists”. I know plenty of guys that take cut and paste armies but blame their poor performance on bad dice/slow playing

4. Darthdiggler April 4, 2018 10:25 am #

Excellent show. I learned a lot.

5. N.I.B. April 5, 2018 6:30 am #

I’m not convinced GW will get Genestealer Cult right. They’re kind of digital in how they play, at least in 7th ed, which makes it hard to balance. Either you rolled those 5+ and steamrolled, or you got steamrolled.

• abusepuppy April 5, 2018 7:16 am #

I think the intention is to make them less completely reliant on that last time around; GW has been giving a lot of price breaks to basic infantry, which bodes well for GSC once they finally get a book. Certainly possible they’ll screw the pooch with them, though.

6. Ujayim April 5, 2018 6:45 am #

Quality episode, boys.

7. Alex R April 6, 2018 1:46 am #

I’m really curious to see this custodes list Matt root has in his mind. I’m also thinking what’s the best way to run guard as allies. Go temptestors or had heavy artillery