Signals from the Frontline #584: T’au on the Way!

Join us for the live show on our Twitch channel by following this link! The show starts at 11am, PST. The podcast and YouTube video-cast air at 9am, PST every Friday.

Show Notes

Date: 3-7-18

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at a discount! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at store.FrontlineGaming.org.

News

• Necromunda gang pets!

• Dread Solstice Campaign update!

• The upcoming Forgebane box for 40k looks great! The Knight Armigers are very awesome models.

• GW previews the new T’au!

Upcoming ITC Events

9 Landon Smith 103.44 1 of 5
10 Ben Klos 101.35 1 of 5

Upcoming 40k ITC Events

Upcoming AoS ITC Events

Tactics Corner

Completed Commissions

And remember, Frontline Gaming sells gaming products at a discount, every day in their webcart!

secondhandhsop

12 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline #584: T’au on the Way!”

1. Ronga March 7, 2018 6:08 pm #

Are the weekly battle reports coming back?

Reecius March 9, 2018 9:32 am #

We hope to soon but have been absolutely swamped lately with other projects.

• Ronga March 10, 2018 8:59 pm #

Okiedokie, thanks for the update.

2. Sossen March 9, 2018 10:36 am #

The chess clock might have worked well for you guys while playing each other, but have you tried to really push the boundaries and abuse the system? Like asking the opponent about rules on their clock, distracting them etc?

Reecius March 9, 2018 10:43 am #

We have not done that personally, no, but the rule set for the clocks is several years in existence now and battle tested in many tournament games. From the reports of the fine folks that have built and used the system they say it functions fine after an adjustment period.

Worrying about edge cases like this–while valid concerns–are not going to define the way this plays out. You may have on occasion a player being lame but if the net result is vastly more games being finished and the elimination of slow play it is a major victory.

And remember, you can ALWAYS hand the clock to the other guy if they are doing something. If they start telling you some silly story and demanding your attention, just hand them the clock back and they burn their time. They can tell their life story if they want, but they do so on their time. That is the beauty of the clock: you control your time.

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab March 10, 2018 1:03 pm #

I have been. I have to say it is actually difficult. You are really hustling and I think it would be more of a detriment to you. It may come in handy in those last 15 minutes, but honestly at that point I think you may be more concerned with winning the game.

This is coming from someone who plays really aggressive blitz chess, and consistently forces his opponent’s to time out with time-wasting defensive strategies.

3. Krquinn March 9, 2018 4:42 pm #

I’m going to seriously disagree with your opinions on the ‘no soup’ issue. Whenever I hear a ‘it’s not fluffy’ argument I cringe, since virtually no one who says that really has read the background over the past 30 years. Fluff is not just reading a Codex. It’s literally hundreds and hundreds of novels, 40 years of White Dwarf, a bunch of magazines, and hundreds of other publications. None of it is written in stone. (Unless I missed a Special Edition Stone Tablet somewhere)
    With this type of comp, you can’t run more than one Assassin, or one unit of Sisters of Silence and you are going to lose a CP point for taking one. It’s comp, plain and simple and I’m not aware of Imperium Soup winning any tournaments lately. It’s ridiculous and I will simply vote with my wallet..you insist on some ill thought out comp and I’ll pass. Leave the game alone, if GW wants to change how you build an Army after everyone actually has a Codex and a way to make legal formations, then that’s fine.

Reecius March 9, 2018 4:59 pm #

Who said anything about us not allowing soup or changing that? I think you misunderstood what we were talking about. A local tournament here in San Diego is saying no soup but that is separate from anything we’re doing. We were just commenting on our thoughts regarding that.

However, FWIW I do not like soup armies for the same reason I didn’t like CtA armies. IMO it hurts the 40k brand in the long term as you often end up with armies that are an unidentifiable mishmash of random stuff. And I have yet to see a matched play “soup” army that was built around a theme. I have only seen them taken for the advantages granted by cherry picking units. That isn’t inherently bad, I just don’t like it personally.

• Krquinn March 9, 2018 6:51 pm #

I didn’t say that ‘you’ were not allowing it, I just don’t think Comp is a good idea in this edition yet. Especially a type of comp that makes it a serious handicap to run units that have no faction HQs yet. When Reece says he doesn’t like soup, it actually has impact with TOs. I’m hearing a lot of the same from people about the Supreme Command Detachment. It may even be correct, but I’d rather see GW address the issue than things fracture again. I don’t want to make lists and paint models for that list that I have to change every time I go to a tournament. I can live with different missions but different force organization is a problem in my opinion.

Reecius March 9, 2018 6:58 pm #

Fair play but I mean, come on, haha, I can’t not express my opinions on things. I reserve my right to talk about 40k =)

And yeah, always better to have rulings/changes come form GW.

• Petey Pab
          Petey Pab March 10, 2018 1:10 pm #

I don’t think Reece had an impact on this TO’s decision to eliminate soup. I think it comes from an old school Grodsnard mindset of what a 40k “Faction” is. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I just wanted to poke fun at Reece ;).

I am in agreement with you Krquinn, I like what mixed faction detachments bring to the game (from a competitive standpoint) and do think GW probably has the right idea. If it was bad business they would have stopped it 2 editions ago, though they did tone down the CTA allies, which I think was the absolute right call.

You should know, that “voting with your wallet” simply means you will not be going to this local event in San Diego.

4. Krquinn March 9, 2018 7:08 pm #

Price of fame bro..lol. I really think they need to look at these issues, force org and soup. I just like Inquisitors, Sisters of Silence and Assasins and think they have a place in the game. Right now without ‘soup’ they are extremely difficult to utilize. I’m sure there are Chaos and Eldar players that can make the same argument..but heretics and Xenos opinions are out of my sphere.