Which Chaos Faction Are You Most Excited For?

Frankie has been doing some dirty things with his Nurgle Daemons (yuck, yuck) and I have been loving the changes to Khorne Daemons. What are you thinking you will be enjoying most?

My personal favorite trick so far has been the good old Bloodletter Bomb. A unit of 30 in reserves with the relic banner allowing them to roll 3d6 to charge, which with the +1 from the instrument and a possible re-roll, too, they are extremely likely to make that charge and with all of the bonuses you can layer on to them with Heralds, and their native Khorne charge bonuses and the +1 to hit from their unit size, they plow through nearly anything on the charge. I have had a lot of fun pairing this with a Daemon Prince for re-rolls of 1 to hit and to play with the truly mean Skullreaver relic axe to deal crazy damage. Also, Khorne Hounds have been a tremendous unit for me as they give me Deny the Witch attempts and with their points drop to 15, are very reasonable pack quite a punch. I’ve been running MSU squads of them for grabbing objectives and board control.

Frankie has been layering all kinds of nasty Nurgle combos on to multi-wound, multi-damage units like Pox Riders, Plague Drones, etc. Nurgle can do bananas damage with their psychic powers, herald buffs and Nurgle base damage increases. Nurgle units can also be crazy difficult to take out as you can bring models back with their stratagems such as Revolting Regeneration, the Doomsday Bell, and the crazy effective Sloppity Bilepiper+Daemonic Icon combo that allows units to roll 2d6 take the lowest for Morale, increasing the odds of getting that 1 which puts models back into the unit. Yeesh! All of that layers onto high value models to make them very, very good.

But what flavor of Chaos Daemons are you most excited to play?

And remember, Frontline Gaming sells gaming products at a discount, every day in their webcart!

secondhandhsop

43 Responses to “Which Chaos Faction Are You Most Excited For?”

1. rvd1ofakind January 9, 2018 9:11 pm #

Undivided. All 3 chaos gods are great:
    Khorne is there for anti armour (letter bomb) – however still has useless units: Bloodthirsters and Bloodcrushers who got 0 points drops when they saw 0 competitive play… huh?
    Tzeentch is there for anti horde (pink bomb) – should’ve had a bit more pts drops on screamers as they still aren’t great.
    Nurgle is there for durability

Yup all 3 out of 3 are great.

what?

• bonesaww666 January 10, 2018 4:06 am #

I was dismayed my Bloodcrushers not recieveing a points drop at first, but if you look at them in the context of being deepstriked into your enemies lips, I think they are actually suitably costed, my only problem with their points cost and stats is that they are pidgeonholed into being a Deepstrike unit near every game…

• rvd1ofakind January 10, 2018 5:28 am #

Not even that. Bloodletters are still a lot better for that reason…

• rvd1ofakind January 10, 2018 5:29 am #

Too bad Bloodletters already do the same job better… 🙁

• rvd1ofakind January 10, 2018 5:31 am #

Too bad bloodletters just do the same thing better 🙁

• rvd1ofakind January 10, 2018 5:54 am #

Yeah… What happened here :S
          I tried posting a message and it didn’t appear. Then all 3 appeared

Reecius January 10, 2018 7:34 am #

That’s always been the case, though. Unless you’re playing against an army with very little shooting or on a table with excellent terrain, you’re going to deep strike them.

• Juggernut January 13, 2018 4:02 am #

I’ll be using them this way, but the question of why use them over bloodletters is a good one. As it happens, I love juggernauts, but most/many people approaching them competitively will probably pass them over. A points drop of sorts would have been better than nothing.

2. Dakkath January 9, 2018 9:29 pm #

Looks like a good time to try to port over the 7th ed daemonic incursion I saw once. 8×5 khorne dogs (or probably 6×5 to fit into a single detachment), a khorne herald, a tzeench herald, fateweaver, and 9×3 screamers.

3. WestRider January 9, 2018 9:43 pm #

Nice to hear that Flesh Hounds dropped back down. That makes my “Khorne Daemonkin” list much more viable again.

Really, tho, I’m hoping for good Slaanesh stuff. I’ve almost got my converted Keeper of Secrets painted, and I really want it to be worthwhile to put her on the table.

Reecius January 10, 2018 9:11 am #

Flesh Hounds are indeed really good. The DtW, speed, hitting power and price point combine together to give us a great total package.

4. Marandamir January 9, 2018 10:49 pm #

Khorne is my fav by far. I’ve always loved the iconic bloodletter (he’s on the codex cover for a reason) and other units but have always lamented their point cost hike due to their offensive capabilities. GW always priced up damage payload as pretty high but never factored in delivery of said payload. It doesn’t matter how beatface a unit is if it dies before it gets to assault and that was a huge let down in 5th and even 6th/7th edition. Big units of bloodletters getting shot to pieces and inflicting zero damage, despite being priced high.

This new dex fixes that finally! They are priced reasonably and are finally given some delivery options. So I’m thrilled to play my blood god army again.

I’m concerned for tzeentch though. The smite beta rules annoy me a bit as tzeentch is heavily reliant on psychic offense and smite is a core of that offense. Nerfing the TN of subsequent smites will only make the army weaker. Including strategems to ‘offset’ this penalty really is just building in a command point tax for the army to function. If smite spam from other armies was a problem then I would have prefered other ways to remedy that problem than a global nerf to a critical component of tzeentch demons :/ I hope the rules get poo-poo’d on and don’t go in but that is my bias. I don’t play smite spam chez players so the circumstances that warrant the beta rules don’t really apply to me.

• rvd1ofakind January 10, 2018 12:06 am #

Tzeentch isn’t psychic focused at all now. CSM, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Aeldarii, etc are have way better powers. Tzeentch is now all about shooting, IMO

Reecius January 10, 2018 7:32 am #

Every competitive army in the game has a baseline CP “tax” to function at maximum effect. Stratagems are a core function of all high powered combos. The Smite nerf is honestly one of the most positive things to happen to this game, it was terribly unenjoyable as it was. The entire h has a lot of options now beyond just throwing the same boring and unfun sPell around. I understand that it may not seem that way from your perspective, but from a bigger game picture taking in the perspective of all factions that is true. Hopefully you enjoy what you get with the dex.

• Ujayim January 10, 2018 8:48 am #

Fun is subjective Reece. Let’s not tell people what is or isn’t fun.

I would hope that isn’t your intention, but repeatedly telling people the things they do or do not do is or is not fun is a slippery slope.

Reecius January 10, 2018 9:13 am #

Fair enough, but I am willing to bet a LOT of money that the vast majority of 40k players did not find smite spam armies fun. Perhaps a small percentage did, but few I am sure.

• Ujayim January 10, 2018 9:28 am

Much easier to digest statement. 😉 Just sounds better than telling people. PR, yo!

Reecius January 10, 2018 10:10 am

Lol!

But yes, you are correct. It is too easy to express opinions as facts and it undermines your stance when you do so.

• rvd1ofakind January 10, 2018 10:47 am

On an completelly unrelated note: tell us some more things you dislike so we can avoid buying them as they will probably get nerfed

• Beau January 10, 2018 9:44 am #

I think he may certainly have an opinion about what is not fun though, especially with the amount of games he plays and from viewer comments.

“Ok let’s broadcast this game.”
          SMITE SMITE SMITE SMITE SMITE SMITE
          “Hmmm I wonder why the ratings are hurting?”

• NinetyNineNo January 10, 2018 1:40 pm #

Even with Smite nerfed, I wish psychic offense was better in general. Stuff like Infernal Gaze and Bolt of Change is by and large way worse than Smite from a numbers standpoint. Mind bullets just aren’t worth a damn sadly.

• Beau January 10, 2018 6:34 pm #

Yes those powers should have damage that puts them above smite. Or at least has some sort of cool utility like longer range or sniping. Smite should be the bottom of the barrel basic dps power when you have no other options. If that were the case malefic lord spam would have never been as prolific because there would have been incentive to instead nuke people with Tzeentch firestorm etc.

5. The Traitor January 10, 2018 3:24 am #

I would like for Slaanesh to get a bit more of attention, and it would be great of GW dealt with it in a better way, hopefully next year. However my main army being of Malal, Slaanesh is in a great position in comparison, so Malal is the one who should get new things (or at least “things”)! For me from the one that I like the most to the least the chaos gods would be in this order: Malal, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, Khorne, Nurgle. All praise Malal!!!

Reecius January 10, 2018 9:13 am #

I also hope we get more fun Slaanesh coverage next year as it is a provocative concept but I am fine with that and it adds a lot to the setting, IMO.

• Beau January 11, 2018 3:10 pm #

I’m the opposite. I hope Slaanesh gets less coverage and more titties.

6. bonesaww666 January 10, 2018 4:14 am #

I am really excited for the new Codex, Demons will be great but I think Mono-god armies are going to be great when Allied with their CSM counterparts.

I was a bit but hurt at first that Crushers didn’t drop, but being able to drop 12 of them in our enemies face for a nigh unmolested charge, they are going to find their way into my lists anyhow.

Fleshounds are certainly worth taking at 15, hell I would have taken them at 20 if they would have given them a pregame movement as before, to help protect my deployment zone, but I’ll tale them as stock for 15!

Will the Demon engines from FW count for Demon armies still? I really should just dig up my book, I really want to stuff some Bloodslaughterers into my lists…

7. bonesaww666 January 10, 2018 4:17 am #

Hell, I’m even moderately excited to try out 20 World Eater Posessed out to see how they could make out fighting 3 times, not competitive, but could be good for a laugh!

8. Coinjock January 10, 2018 4:47 am #

I’d be really happy to see the Smite beta rule only apply to characters instead of units. It really isn’t helpful that in Matched Play we are paying points to be able to manifest a psychic power, but can’t actually do so. My other suggestion on the Horrors is the special rules that currently work with number of Pink Horrors be modified to models in the unit.

Brimstones were too cheap with a D3 Smite on a 5+ and a full on 4++ save. But what exactly are Blue Horrors for? 5ppm with no shooting and bad melee. They have a typical daemon 5++, but you are better off fielding something else entirely.

The main reason I want # of Horrors in the unit instead of # of Pinks is to give folks the opportunity to gain some benefit from the Split Rule. There aren’t a lot of units that rely on numbers of models in the squad to be effective in 40k. Most infantry units have a special weapon or two. Some have mechanics that improve their effectiveness shooting. For Horrors, the Split Rule makes them durable but they cease to be effective exactly the opposite of other units who can simply remove models without touching their heavy weapons.

I was so excited when I saw we were back to Range 18″, Assault 3, S4 on Horrors. I love them with shooting attacks. But this book would have been so much better for the Daemons of Tzeentch if they had just made this tiny change. I am all for reducing the effectiveness of the Brimstones, heck.. I will even eat the loss of ++ save on my Blues, but people would have been excited about Tzeentch if they had just allowed the special rules to work off the number of models in the unit.

9. Horton January 10, 2018 7:12 am #

All Khorne.

All the time.

10. Chandler January 10, 2018 7:26 am #

The bloodletter bomb is amazing.

As a Tzeentch player I’m looking forward to the Horror bomb. 30 Horrors deep striking next to a herald and a Daemon Prince firing off 90 shots hitting on 4s re-rolling with a STR buff and Flickering Flames cast on them are wounding most things on 3s and 4s. Will clear out just about anything.

I have a list I’m going to be playtesting soon.

++Chaos Daemons Battalion – 1068 Pts+++
    Fateweaver (Warlord)
    Herald on Disc with Staff (Endless Grimoire)

Pink Horrors x20

Daemon Prince with Wings
    Exalted Sorc on Disc

Magnus – 415

Total – 2000
    CP – 7+d3

11. Lang January 10, 2018 8:34 am #

As sick as my local playgroup is of Nurgle, I’m looking forward to more of them. Also to see what fancy stuff I can do with my deathguard daemon engines. Really digging how the two factions kinda intermingle.

• Beau January 10, 2018 9:48 am #

I think a nice thing about us Nurgle players is we play a good punching bag. You have to have a decent list and tactics to shift us off of points. We are easily out maneuvered, don’t have much shooting, and don’t hit hard in melee.

Reecius January 10, 2018 10:14 am #

Well, humorously, now Nurgle is pretty speedy and does hit hard in melee, too, lol!

• Lang January 10, 2018 12:57 pm #

Yeah, I agree. Nurgle and DG have plenty of speed and board control. Plague Bearers should now be able to really wreck some things once you get all the buffs going.

• Beau January 10, 2018 5:58 pm

It is true we are doing better than ever. I still cannot catch those windriders though!

12. Ujayim January 10, 2018 8:50 am #

I’m heart set on making Tzeentch work, but I’m not necessarily excited about it.

There was a lot of opportunities to do a lot of things, and in the end it feels like Tzeentch was cut short on what it could of been. Won’t cry over nothing, though.

13. Artem January 10, 2018 1:02 pm #

I think Tzeench Flamers drop is much better than Horrors. For 1 CP you can drop 6 Flamers 9′ away and with their new 12′ range auto-hit average 18 times. +1 STR from Herald and Flickering Flames.

So for 2CP you can get 36 average autohits! That’s amazing.

• Dbiesto January 10, 2018 7:19 pm #

Flamers have returned! Ive gad 6 unpainted since end of 7th lol.

14. Cole Hayward January 10, 2018 7:34 pm #

Be’lakor being the same cost as Guilliman.

15. Tomguycot January 11, 2018 5:57 am #

So I kind of get the feeling that GW just has no idea what to do with Slaanesh. Unfortunate because I have soooo many 3rd edition metal Daemonettes and Seekers. Such awesome models it’s a shame they’re not better.

BUT I am definitely happy that at least pink horrors got some love. Also have a bunch of old metal pink horrors and at least they’re useful again.

16. Nick Wenker January 11, 2018 3:47 pm #

Nurgle for sure. Though my biggest disappointment with the codex is that no one, not even tzeentch, can get CPs back. For an army that had to burn a lot of CPs in many lists and that has expensive stratagems otherwise. Meanwhile Ultramarines or Guard can cycle through 10-20+ CPs in a game. I’m still really floored that in 8th with stratagems being so important, GW gave some armies tons of free CPs, some armies a handful, and some armies none. Disappointing.

• Beau January 11, 2018 7:36 pm #

While for ITC this isn’t as viable I suppose you could just make lots of msu detachments or nurglings or brims.