Preview Bat Rep: NEW Daemons vs. Catachans

Frankie and I just recorded a video bat rep featuring the brand spanking new Daemons vs. Catachans. Click through to see the lists!

This video will air on our YouTube channel at 9am PST on Monday, January 8th.

The Daemon list features a wide variety of units to show off some of the new Daemon stratagems and fun tricks. Note, the points costs have been removed from the list as the Codex is not yet out.

Unit Force Org Cost # Total Weapons Cost # Total Total
Daemonette Troop 20 0 Instrument 1 0
Daemonette Troop 20 0 Instrument 1 0
Daemonette Troop 20 0 Instrument 1 0
0 0
Totals     145 0       0 0
Command Points: 12       Detachments: 3

Here’s my Catachan list which a variation of I have been playing for a while now and have had very good results with it.

Unit Force Org Cost # Total Weapons Cost # Total Notes
Manticore Heavy Support 135 1 135 H.Bolter 8 1 8
Wyvern Heavy Support 95 1 95 H.Bolter 8 1 8
Basilisk Heavy Support 100 1 100 H.Bolter 8 1 8
Vulture Flyer 112 1 112 Twin Punisher Cannon 40 1 40
Totals     112 1625       367 1992
Command Points: 12       Detachments: 1

Who do you think will win?

And remember, Frontline Gaming sells gaming products at a discount, every day in their webcart!

secondhandhsop

21 Responses to “Preview Bat Rep: NEW Daemons vs. Catachans”

1. Finklelord January 3, 2018 6:49 pm #

Quick question. After seeing/reading many of your battle reports you tend to have a lot of CP. Do you generally use all of them throughout the game? I often find myself using only using 6-7 CP.

Reecius January 3, 2018 7:56 pm #

Oh yeah. Stratagems are my favorite part of the game, I used the heck out of them. With AM I typically end up spending 18+ due to getting more back through out the game.

• SacTownBrian January 3, 2018 10:11 pm #

Which keyword are you battleforged at? Astra Militarum? I’m still tying to wrap my head around this codex and it doesn’t look like the list is battleforged at Catachan. But does that really mean anything on the table? Looks like you could still issue the Burn order to other Catachans regardless. Maybe I should just stick with my Ultramarines…

Reecius January 3, 2018 11:04 pm #

I’m sorry, what? I’m not following what you’re asking.

• abusepuppy January 3, 2018 11:12 pm

He’s trying to figure out what the shared keyword for the whole army is.

Which in this case would be Astra Militarum, as the Ogryn and Priest do not have the Catachan keyword (though due to the codex’s rules they do not “break” the Regiment bonuses.)

Armies gain or loses bonuses depending on the contents of individual detachments, not the keyword shared by the army as a whole- so if you have a Catachan battalion, a Militarum Tempestus battalion, and a Cadian spearhead, each of those three detachments will benefit from their own special rules. (They will also each benefit from the Astra Militarum special rules as a whole, since they each qualify for those as well.) The army as a whole is an Astra Militarum army, but this is not really relevant for game bonuses or most other purposes.

Reecius January 3, 2018 11:15 pm

Ah, yes. It’s an Astra Militarum army but I prefer being a bit more specific than that. I assumed that the implication that it was Astra Militarum was clear but I suppose I could be more explicit.

• abusepuppy January 3, 2018 7:57 pm #

Can’t speak for Reece, but I tend to run 10+ CP with my codex armies and use most or all of them in games. Codex armies have lots of powerful ways to spend command points that can really tilt a game when used judiciously.

2. rvd1ofakind January 3, 2018 9:35 pm #

Bloodcrushers got NO changes?
    I can see why they’re not in the list, lol.

• Juggernut January 3, 2018 9:44 pm #

Yeah, missed opportunity there. Chapter Approved can remedy that, if we whine at GW hard enough. 🙂

Reecius January 3, 2018 11:05 pm #

Lol, again you guys, hang tight and play some games before making any judgment calls. Much yet to be seen.

3. Shas’O January 4, 2018 2:10 am #

Thanks for posting this! Out of curiosity, why the conqueror cannon over the battle cannon?

• abusepuppy January 4, 2018 3:59 am #

The Conqueror has a shorter range (48″) than the standard Battle Cannon, but you can reroll misses with it thanks to the Co-Axial Weapon rule. Pretty strong when you’re pumping out 2d6 shots per turn.

Reecius January 4, 2018 7:30 am #

Yup. Helps a ton to overcome all the -1 to hit stuff out there.

4. Horton January 4, 2018 4:31 am #

Oh wow! I hope this means Skarbrand is finally good!!!

Reecius January 5, 2018 3:16 pm #

He’s pretty bad ass =)

5. Blight1 January 4, 2018 10:29 am #

I know you are not an official source but any idea if it’s still intended for these abilities to effect CSM daemon units? The developer’s commentary still says so but the new daemon book seems to have a lot of really good synergy with CSM daemon units. Like too good to be true. Oblits with 0+ saves getting +1 damage on wound rolls of 6, plus other stuff. Just want to know your thoughts.

Reecius January 4, 2018 10:49 am #

I have to wait to answer any questions like this, unfortunately.

• Nick Wenker January 4, 2018 12:06 pm #

I think that’s far from “too good to be true” considering all the other stuff in the game, including units that are hyper efficient even without synergies. Plus, you already have cross-codex downsides (i.e., stuff that hurts all Chaos or all Daemons will affect both CSM and CD units). So why not have cross-codex benefits as well?

• Blight1 January 4, 2018 1:28 pm #

Do you know about some of the other synergies(rumored)? I would love it if we continued to have them but I can easily see it getting abused in a competitive setting.
        😐deepstrike ANY daemon
        Want it but don’t feel like it will survive the first FAQ.

6. CG January 7, 2018 5:22 pm #

Why just the Twin Punisher Cannon on the Vulture?

7. TYGRHobbes January 8, 2018 11:03 pm #

Nice using LR Conqueror. Where on earth do you get the turrets though? I need a couple for mine. Nice AM list tho!