Battle Angel Alita Trailer!

I remember many ears ago hearing James Cameron say he wanted to make this classic anime into a movie and it looks like he followed through!

12 Responses to “Battle Angel Alita Trailer!”

1. jared December 11, 2017 4:33 pm

I can dig it. Even the anime eyes of Alita. I am willing to give this a shot, definitely.

Reecius December 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Same! I was so stoked when I saw the doctor had the rocket hammer, lol!

2. Jase December 12, 2017 6:59 am

Holy sweet Lord Baby Christ that looked awful.

3. Requizen
    Requizen December 12, 2017 7:00 am

Some people are hating on the eyes and “uncanny valley” look, but overall I like that they went for a very striking design. The action looks amazing and I think if anyone can pull off a super stylized action flick like this, James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez are probably some of the top contenders.

• abusepuppy December 12, 2017 7:21 am

The tough part is gonna be all the philosophy and other random stuff that Kishiro likes to cram into his worlds. Cameron obviously has the directing chops to pull something like this off, but I wonder how much is going to be lost in (figurative) translation.

• AngryPanda December 13, 2017 1:11 am

Still pretty sure that uncanny valley effect is on purpose to show she isn’t real. But people are so used to bad CGI it’s not surprising it is taken to be by accident.

4. abusepuppy December 12, 2017 7:19 am

The eyes can be a bit offputting, but I don’t think they’re a deal-breaker. My actual problem with the film (so far, anyways- obv we haven’t seen much of it) is how clean everything looks. The Scrapyard is supposed to be kind of a shithole, filled with the refuse of Tiphares above it and desperate people scrabbling to make a buck, most of them cyborgs (because, again, life is shitty and machines are cheap.)

But Cameron’s version looks like a pretty nice section of town, and most of the people seemed to be just normal humans. Maybe there’s more that we’re not seeing, but it does leave me a bit wary of the whole thing.

• zero-charisma December 12, 2017 12:42 pm

well to be fair theres only like 30 seconds of video…

• AngryPanda December 13, 2017 1:12 am

The scrapyard looked a bit clean but there was a whole bunch of weirdness in those 30 seconds. This may be the first anime adaption I have hopes for. The whole setting seems very suited for him.

5. zero-charisma December 12, 2017 12:38 pm

oh man!! i wanted every character in everything we played growing up to have a rocket hammer! looks great!

Reecius December 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Right?! Lol, the first time I saw him use it in the anime I lost it, it was so fun and over the top!

6. fluger December 12, 2017 3:16 pm

I have no knowledge of the source material. This looks awesome.

Also, there are few people who make better musical choices for trailers than Robert Rodriguez.

Makes me think of the Sin City trailer and its attention grabbing soundtrack.