Blood Angels Codex Information!

GW is bringing us some more information about what to expect with Blood Angels!

These are looking very solid, the Red Thirst especially is simply amazing and helps to make Blood Angels one of the premiere assault armies in the game. Some of the combos they can pull out of their hate creates just deadly combatants.

What do you think so far?

29 Responses to “Blood Angels Codex Information!”

1. Ghostvalley November 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Loving the idea of a Death Company keyword Jump Pack, Thunderhammer, and Stormshield Captain with a 5+ FNP. And fast moving Mephiston returns!

• Maeglin November 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Make him Warlord with Artisan of War… say hello to damage 4 thunder hammer.

Reecius November 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Yeah and there are multiple ways to boost his number of attacks, too! BA hit very, very hard.

• GhostValley November 27, 2017 8:04 pm

That will be happening.

2. V1234 November 27, 2017 2:15 pm

Is Red Thirst the chapter tactic equivalent?
    Cause it is pretty cool

Reecius November 27, 2017 2:29 pm

It is and it is amazing! So powerful.

3. Nick Wenker November 27, 2017 2:21 pm

Jump infantry is already one of the best things in the game due to ITC mission rules and ITC rules re: terrain and levels. This should make BA jump troops even better. Will be real contenders I think. Would love to see a Blood Angels vs Tyranids game with new codexes.

Reecius November 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Jump Packs are just good in general, IMO. But, yeah, closing off LoS from bottom levels of ruins helps any assault army out a ton.

• Blight November 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Are we sure they are back to troop choices?

Reecius November 27, 2017 3:08 pm

They are not troops, no.

• AngryPanda November 28, 2017 8:34 am

Doesn’t really matter with a dozen CADs to chose from does it? I mean it probably won’t let you build any detachment that way but if you only wanna play DC I’m sure that can be done.

• Chandler November 28, 2017 9:10 am

@AngryPanda it is a big deal in terms of accessing command points. If they are troops it means we can forego bringing other choices to fill out a Battalion/Brigade thus more command points.

That said, most of these lists should be including 2-3 scout squads anyway for screening purposes and forward deployment so the fact that assault marines are not troops is certainly not a death knell.

4. Nightman November 27, 2017 2:25 pm

As a long time BA player i’m loving the preview so far. So many build options and we haven’t even seen everything yet.

5. Omega-soul November 27, 2017 5:33 pm

And they so vague about successor chapters!
    I wish they could fit another chapters like Flesh tearers as separate force with something uniqe.
    They have chapter master model and own supplement in 7th!
    That is even more than some other vanilla chapters that got universal pack of rules.

6. GeekmasterK November 27, 2017 6:28 pm

We don’t even have the whole codex yet, and I’d be extremely happy, even if this was all we got. Knowing this is just the basic stuff, and that there is more, means that this codex is more than I hoped it would be. Blood Angels were my first 40k army, and this codex already has me sold! I have a chainsword. Her name is Lucille. And she’s thirsty!

Reecius November 28, 2017 10:25 am

Nice reference! haha

7. GeekmasterK November 27, 2017 6:33 pm

As an addendum to my previous comment, I’m really glad to see the boys in red making a comeback. I barely ran them in 6th and 7th due to them getting screwed by those editions’ mechanics. Now we have a better edition, and a better codex than the last one! You done good, Gee Dub!

8. BBF November 27, 2017 7:36 pm

I hope BA get a Primaris assault unit with the Fly keyword.

9. Wes November 27, 2017 7:39 pm

I am super stoked! I got rid of all my 40k years ago, so I started this edition able to put my money anywhere. I went with BA because I love jump packs and thunder hammers. And death Company are awesome looking. This preview does nothing but make me hit harder and faster, and show off some baller movement tricks. Can’t wait to see what the rest of the week brings!

Wes

Reecius November 28, 2017 10:29 am

You will be stoked, they are seriously bad ass.

10. Deathwatch208 November 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Flying librarian dread anyone?

• PandaSaurusRex November 28, 2017 6:56 am

Look at your dreadnought, then look back at mine, it’s psychic. It’s also holding a meltagun, and you get no saves against it’s giant spear. Now it’s flying, and wrecking everything in its path.

• AngryPanda November 28, 2017 8:31 am

I want to see this ad. Almost more than the actual Codex.

11. Chandler November 28, 2017 6:09 am

That Standard of Sacrifice…I’d argue that it is as good or potentially better than the Space Marines relic banner. To me that is an auto-include in every list.

• Threllen November 28, 2017 7:48 am

Both of those relics are very strong. I would say you could consider them both auto-includes.

It only costs 1 CP to bring two relics. So if you’re including the banner I would say it’s worth the 1CP for the 5+ to get command points back. In most games that’s going to get you more than it’s going to cost unless you took an army that gets almost no command points to begin with.

• Chandler November 28, 2017 9:11 am

Agreed. Both of these relics are amazing. Getting CP back is always a big deal. So for 1 CP you can get both and then have the opportunity to regain CP back when you spend them. Definitely amazing choices.

Reecius November 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Yeah, like Space Marines, BA will likely be taking 2 relics every game.

12. PandaSaurusRex November 28, 2017 6:54 am

This is awesome. I genuinely did not expect to get anything this good and I know I was one of the naysayers originally.
    I had completely written off the notion that they would port this over from 30K as I thought it would be too good. I get that still getting into combat can be a problem but we are going to go back to wrecking face once we’re there and with the way pile-in/consolidate works in 8th this will be beautiful.

I’m not too worried about mobility. There are still previews yet to come but I personally love the Jump Pack Strat; mostly because I run a jump pack heavy army but still. The idea of having a Libby Dreadnought that can come out of a drop pod and assault flyers too?
    The fact that people can still leave and shoot our killy mens still sucks, however, there might yet come a strategy/relic/some way to mitigate that and if you tie up enough things in combat it starts forcing hard decisions on your opponent.

Never discount that if you can survive ~ 2 turns of shooting with the right models that you are now in their gunline, lightning fast compared to them (JP’s, etc.) and you WILL kill in CC.

13. Yakhunter November 28, 2017 4:48 pm

I see a librarian dread in a lucius drop pod in my future. Dropping in, executing flying murder mode and then flying in and…murdering. As it was foretold. Support him with Lemartes and some Death Company? Yes please.