Chapter Tactics #46: Thoughts on the New Tyranids

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today PeteyPab gives his experience playing the new Tyranids and also talks about the current illegal list controversies.

Show Notes:

• Click here for a link for information on downloading best coast pairings app where you can find lists for most of the events I mentioned.
  • Chapter Tactics is back! With Weekly episodes and a lot of tactical insight, this is your place for all things 40k in 8th edition.
  • Check out the last episode of Chapter Tactics here. Or, click here for a link to a full archive of all of my episodes.
  • Want more tactical information about the new edition? Check out our 8th Edition article archive to help get a leg up on the competition!

got a list

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then email me at…

Please do not send an army list in a format such as Army Builder, send them in an easy to read, typed format. Thanks!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

29 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #46: Thoughts on the New Tyranids”

1. iNcontroL November 20, 2017 1:53 am #

Nice solo cast pablo. It’s Kronos btw!

nids are in an awesome place. I don’t think they are the strongest just due to imperial soup and chaos soup but they are right up there and perhaps the strongest or top 3 single codex. Really excited! I improved my list I think too from when I was there. Will prob do some content around it.

Need a co host for the podcast eh? 🙂

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab November 20, 2017 10:31 am #

Kronos! I had been telling myself not to forget it all morning and then derp. Right in the middle of recording.

Yeah man, know anyone who has experience with shoutcasting in a competitive environment?

2. Dakkath November 20, 2017 4:05 am #

I’d suggest reaching out to AbusePuppy for a possible cohost.

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab November 20, 2017 10:31 am #

Thank you! I am willing to look at everyone who is qualified.

• abusepuppy November 20, 2017 1:33 pm #

I’d certainly be willing to do it. You can email me ( or over the FLG Writers Facebook group, whichever is more convenient for you.

3. N.I.B. November 20, 2017 4:21 am #

Nid content starts at 27:50.
    At times it felt more like a review of Geoffs particular army list, but there are more than one way to skin a Space Marine. The last week, Kraken hordes are sailing up as a really strong Tyranid build, and it’s light on shooting.

• Shas’O November 20, 2017 5:13 am #

Thank you for this comment. Maybe the time stamp for actual content starting should be in the podcast title haha

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab November 20, 2017 10:33 am #

Thank you very much, I do tend to not time stamp my podcasts and felt like this one was probably too short, but on some of the longer episodes I know it’s a great help for the listeners so i’ll try to be better about it.

4. CovenantGuardian November 20, 2017 4:54 am #

I don’t think Tyranids either is the best codex, Astra Militarum is the best army period, followed by Imperium Soup and Chaos Soup, then comes Eldar, Tyranids, Ultramarines in no particulor order.

I saw the battle reports, it was mostly Geoff>Reece>Pablo more than anything, no offense.
    Moving guilleman away from you ranged firebase to charge a regenerating termagant screen instead of just staying back and shooting the Tervigon to death was very peculior..

• Jural November 20, 2017 12:34 pm #

I think AM is the better Codex, but both are very good and well done. Both from a fluff and gameplay perspective.

• Randy Randalman November 21, 2017 6:18 pm #

Interesting. I have never lost to AM with my Tyranids; even before Tyranids got their codex. As an army for the overall field? AM may be better suited having so much firepower, but they lose about 70/30 to Eldar and Tyranids in certain builds. Easily. I would gladly take my Tyranids into a field full of AM right now and fully expect to go undefeated.

5. Shas’O November 20, 2017 5:17 am #

It seems like Xenos codexes have to be better than imperial or chaos codexes, since they can’t do soup combos.

• PrimoFederalist November 20, 2017 5:30 am #

What do you consider Ynnari?

• Shas’O November 20, 2017 6:40 am #

Fair point! I was more thinking tau, orks, and Necrons who can’t take any allies, but Eldar have a big alliance too.

• Randy Randalman November 21, 2017 6:18 pm #

Ynnari just got a huge nerf, however, making them a more “fair” option now and not an auto-include. And they are 3 whole models, not an entire army that can soup together.

• Jural November 20, 2017 12:35 pm #

Tyranid + GSC + AM is a pretty potent soup though… or will be once GSC is released. The GSC Leman Russes are better than most of the ranged Nid options by a mile.

• Randy Randalman November 21, 2017 6:20 pm #

That may not be the case once GSC get their codex. They may no longer have the faction keyword “Tyranids,” or may only be able to ally with a detachment of OR , but not both. That said, I’d take a detachment of Kronos Hive Guard + Exocrines over a Lemun Russ any day of the week. More durable, hit better, can hide, can fire twice…

6. CWDub November 20, 2017 6:41 am #

I’ve played one game with Kraken so far and the movement tricks (even WITHOUT Swarm Lord) are INSANE. You can advance a unit for 1 CP (on 3D6 no less), DOUBLE your highest roll, and simply add that advance to your movement and count as moving normally.

I had a unit of Genestealers move 20″ in a turn with it. (8″ + 12″).

Caustic blood is also troll-tastic to the max. It’s a must-use strategum for your screening units vs assault armies.

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab November 20, 2017 10:34 am #

Yeah man, I should have given Kraken an honorable mention. I tried tackling this from a “how to beat them” perspective as that’s the only perspective I have. Unfortunately the cancellation with the guest didn’t leave me with enough time to find someone with more tyranid knowledge.

• Jural November 20, 2017 12:38 pm #

Kraken are amazing starting on the board, but if you are reserve heavy it’s Jorgumundr or Behemoth.

I like all 3, Gorgon and Hydra need a real specific build though…

I think a lot of builds I see would actually be better with Leviathan… that is an underrated adaptation.

• Randy Randalman November 21, 2017 6:22 pm #

For the same reasons Iron Hands are severely underrated. Right now we don’t have a complete game until all the codices are out, so it’s difficult to see every Tactic/Adaptation/Doctrine/etc for what they really are.

7. Adam S. November 20, 2017 1:22 pm #

There are plenty of other competitive podcasts/twitch-casts

You may want to do rotating hosts and see which ones best fit with you.

Not sure who you are looking at, but don’t have a co-host that has a reputation in the community. It will hurt the podcast in the long run.

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab November 20, 2017 2:00 pm #

Right, as I mentioned there are a lot of competitive 40k podcasts (obviously TFG radio comes to mind) however most of those podcasts also feature other content as well and are not as niche. Something I obviously don’t do a lot of. Which I think is a bit of a weakness of my podcast, but also what I want.

The rotating hosts idea is smart, and I think I will go through a few people until I find the right fit.

Also, do you mean a negative reputation or just any reputation at all?

• Ujayim November 20, 2017 4:41 pm #

I’d chime in and advise against those with a negative reputation.

You attach your brand to someone, they become a yard stick used to judge your brand.

• Peteypab November 21, 2017 9:18 am #

Yes, I agree with that. There are people with bad reputations in this community that would certainly lower my credibility as a show.

• ALaurence November 22, 2017 1:41 am #

Check out Allies of Convenience. Pure competitive 40k podcast

8. MasterSlowPoke November 21, 2017 11:00 am #

This is the first of your podcasts I’ve listened to, you did a great job talking by yourself for an hour. No need to worry about apologizing so much!

I second the suggestion for AbusePuppy.

Also, lol picked a bad day to call Charlie Rose a hero!

• Peteypab November 21, 2017 8:06 pm #

Jeez I thought no one would notice. I guess I should start stepping away from admiring male figureheads for the forseeable future. Thanks for the listen, and welcome to the community!

• MasterSlowPoke November 22, 2017 10:57 am #

It happens with every podcast; you’ll either say somethng good about someone before they’re revealed as bad, or say something bad about someone before they die. It’s almost a rite of passage, now you’re a true podcaster!

Do you have a feed url for this, or is it just the posts on here?