Signals from the Frontline #563: Astra Militarum on the Way

Join us for the live show on our Twitch channel by following this link! The show starts at 11am, PST. The podcast and YouTube video-cast air at 9am, PST every Friday

Show Notes

Date: 9-27-17

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at a discount! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at store.FrontlineGaming.org.

News

• This is the last week for our September Super Sale! If you had your eye on some ITC Tree Sets at half off (Summer and Spring sets!) and discounted prices on FLG Mats now is the time to do it!

• We will be having a terrain day this Saturday and Sunday for the SoCal Open. We’ve got quite a few folks coming and FLG will provide food and beverages to those who want to help out. We will be here starting 9am on Saturday and Sunday all day. Come by any time!
  • The LVO continues to sell strongly and we’re down to our last 2 tickets for the 40k friendly event! If you wanted to attend, please grab those sooner than later. We’re also approaching full on the 40k Champs, so please do not wait to be a part of this massive 40k event!

• Astra Militarum are inbound this weekend and they look amazing! GW has revealed some of what to expect, let’s cover what we know so far.
    • Mordians

• Vostroyans

• Catachans

• Season of War: Firestorm looks to be a lot of fun and we plan on playing the campaign as much as time allows, ourselves!

• Upcoming releases: More Death Guard on the way and of course, the Astra Militarum codex, too! These will be available for pre-order September 30th in the FLG Web-cart.

Upcoming ITC Events

6 Jarrett Zazuetta 379.77 4 of 5
7 Joshua Harvey 355.68 4 of 5
8 Tyler Hamil 351.58 4 of 5
9 DAVID ROGERS 340.71 4 of 5
10 Matthew Pashby 336.91 3 of 5

Tactics Corner

• Rise of the Primarch GT Recap.

Completed Commissions

• Check out these lovely Death Guard minis from the FLG Paint Studio, including Mortarion! Consider us for your next paint commission.

15 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline #563: Astra Militarum on the Way”

1. Alex D September 27, 2017 4:51 pm

SO my army of rambos are gonna wanna charge and smash atleast if it’s inevitable.

2. rvd1ofakind September 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Yeah, I definitelly hope you guys do something about banner, wing, tail, etc LoS

“Wow I made his wings really high up, doesn’t that look cool. It really makes the model feel alive”
    “hahaha, what a dummy, now I can shoot him”
    🙁

• Dbiesto September 28, 2017 3:45 pm

I think a bigger issue to address are tanks being able to fire all weapons when only 1/10 can see

• Jural September 29, 2017 4:55 pm

I think you are both right- they are both lame.

3. Cephalobeard September 29, 2017 8:57 am

I’m sure this is a “wait and be patient” question, but does the AM Stratagem to return a unit cost points? It creates a new unit, not adding to the reserves of another unit, which seems to indicate based on the BRB it would cost points to use.

• Beaton September 29, 2017 10:34 am

Does the Chaos Cultist version cost points?

• Cephalobeard September 29, 2017 10:37 am

The Chaos cultist version does not create a new unit. It restores units to an existing unit.

4. WrentheFaceless September 29, 2017 9:07 am

Sad that it appears that Ad Mech didnt even get half the effort in their dex that Astra is getting.

On top of that artillery buffs per the GW stream.

Reecius September 29, 2017 10:49 am

Well….lol, AdMech is a much, much, much newer army with a much smaller catalog of models and history behind it. I would not expect anything less. In time, AdMech will grow. Also, that Codex ROCKS, it is so good! I love it. But AM is an OG army, with decades of history behind it. Of course it has more going on than an army that is just a few years old.

• Jural September 29, 2017 3:32 pm

OK Reecius- if you had to look into your crystal ball, would you imagine the Xenos sub factions (hive fleets, craft worlds, dynasties, etc.) would look pretty different?

Or is their not enough fluff to go around to make them as distinct?

• PrimoFederalist September 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Based on what? Regiment traits/Forge World traits, relics, and stratagems. The only thing IG have which AM don’t is a sub faction order. Honestly, based on what I’ve seen I have no idea what you’re talking about.

• Jural September 29, 2017 12:31 pm

They definitely don’t develop the individual Forge worlds as much as the regiments, and I feel they forge worlds won’t really play as distinctly as the regiments will (guessing here, of course.)

But I wouldn’t say that means they have less effort put in; I think they probably put more effort in- the AM regiments have been in print and discussed for decades, whereas aside from Mars, who has heard of the different forge worlds?

I suspect you will find that the Necron Dynasties and Tyranid Hive Fleets are similarly uninspired compared to the more fleshed out Ork Warbands. I just don’t know what to expect from Tau or either Eldar tho!

• PrimoFederalist September 29, 2017 1:26 pm

But as I pointed out, there’s *one* difference – unique orders. That’s it. The IG regiments have the same number of flavorful/specialized rules as do the AdMec. The only other possible thing to point out is that some of the regimental traits affect vehicles differently, but that’s it.

Unique Faction Traits? AdMec and IG
          Unique Strategems? AdMec and IG
          Unique Relics? AdMec and IG
          Unique Warlord Traits? AdMec and IG
          Unique Orders? IG (but AdMec don’t have orders, they do have Canticles)

Again, I don’t understand the complaint. I mean, objectively, where’s the overwhelming “flavor” the Guard have which AdMec lacks?

• Jural September 29, 2017 3:30 pm

I agree with your point that unique orders isn’t a huge issue, and I also really think GW did a good job on Ad Mech, and am liking what I have seen on IG.

I also think the IG stratagems and regimental bonuses are going to differentiate armies in way that forge worlds won’t, I really think Catachans will play different from Mordians, who will play different from Steel Legion.

It doesn’t have to do with orders, it has to do with how good the rules synergize with each other and with certain play styles.

I assume when we look at all of the regiments, we will see some pretty vanilla options too, but the leaks so far are pretty extreme in their differences!

Using CSM as an example, I think Black Legion, Emperor’s Children, Alpha Legion, Night Lords, and World Eaters all seem very distinct from each other and will play different on the table. The remaining factions are OK, but don’t really offer as much differentiation from each other or their Space Marine analogs.

In my view, this is all a good thing. There isn’t really a niche in the game for 7 totally different Ad Mech armies, but there certainly is room for that many CSM, SM, or IG armies!

More interesting will be seeing how they handle the Xenos… Not sure we really need 7 types of Tyranid fleets or Necron dynasites, or whatever you call Dark Eldar… But 7 types of Orks may be interesting, and different Eldar more focused on their aspects… sign me up

5. Rhinoceraids September 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Hopefully they do something with pask. I love bringing him as my warlord. But he becomes a lascannon magnet…..