Warhammer 40k Battle Report: Death Guard vs Space Wolves

Reecius vs. Frankie, Space Wolves vs. Death Guard!

Frankie’s Nurgle Forces:

Unit

Force Org

Cost

Total

Weapons

Cost

Total

Total

Battalion Detachment

Death Guard

Command Points

1125

Typhus (Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality)

HQ

175

175

Daemon Prince with Wings (Blades of Putrefaction)

HQ

Poxwalkers

Troops

Battalion Detachment

Chaos Space Marines

Command Points

692

Daemon Prince with Wings (Warptime)

HQ

Cultist

Troops

Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment

Death Guard

Command Points

470

Mortarian (Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality, Curse of the Leper)

Lord of War

1237

763

2000

Command Points:

Detachments:

About Mariana

Self proclaimed "Swiss Army Nerd"

55 Responses to “Warhammer 40k Battle Report: Death Guard vs Space Wolves”

1. Max Mustermann September 18, 2017 9:12 am #

Excellent battle report & the format/editing is just as great. I knew you should have painted up your Night Lords, Reece, I was almost spot on with my prediction!

Reecius September 18, 2017 9:39 am #

Yeah, it was a good game but I just couldn’t kill Morty! Oh well, it was still very fun. Had I gone first….

• Max Mustermann September 19, 2017 12:50 am #

I wonder if the Deathshroud are worth taking to protect against getting first turn alpha’d. They’d probably need a Land Raider to move up the board afterwards though, that would be about 1k points for Morty + bodyguard + bodyguard bus…

Reecius September 19, 2017 8:26 am #

Not a bad idea, for sure. You could warp time them, too.

• Jeff September 19, 2017 6:19 pm #

I too play Space Wolves, and I have found myself saying the exact same thing. Losing initiative has cost me so very much this edition. I wonder if you guys are going to be putting out any tactics pointers for Space Wolves before the codex gets here, or if I’m going to have to wait for the codex?

2. Dbiesto September 18, 2017 1:04 pm #

Chaos in general feels super competitve again, and not just death guard. Being emp children i double tap a squad of obliterators/ bikers/ noise marines and having a max squad is doing serious damage. Last 2 games I won with 2 rounds of endless cacophony. Plus intoxicating elixer and a herald of slaanesh nearby gives my DP 8 Str 9 attacks. Im predictig chaos daemons will be just as competitive when they finally release them.

Reecius September 19, 2017 8:26 am #

Chaos is extremely good, for sure.

3. Beau September 18, 2017 2:16 pm #

Wow thanks for that video, super helpful. I have been building up the same list except:
    -putrifier and blightbringer for more poxwalkers.
    – 1 DPs wings for more poxwalkers (he walks up with the horde)

I am bouncing back and forth between trying to decide between Plague Marine, Possessed, or Blightlord blob. I just about always fight Eldar/Ynarri/DE. Thanks!

Love the mat, will buy it when I refill my $$$ after blowing my wad on DG

• Dbiesto September 18, 2017 2:53 pm #

Plague marines are so good now! Go with them they are so damn good. Take auto hits> possesed any day. Decide a playstyle and stuck with it but thats my opinion. Give as many axes as possible.

• Beau September 18, 2017 3:46 pm #

I think the axes may be the trick, I will have to proxy them first. I have ran 20 before but with regular knives and bolters.

• Blight September 18, 2017 5:26 pm #

What is this about auto hits?

• Max Mustermann September 18, 2017 11:40 pm #

I have no idea. Maybe he misread the data sheet and mixed up the heavy plague flamer’s stats with the plague axe’s in his head.

Reecius September 18, 2017 2:55 pm #

Glad you enjoyed the bat rep and the mat!

4. Don Tomaso September 18, 2017 4:31 pm #

Try not bringing 15 heavy weapons. LOL

Now imagine GK or deathwatch having to face that..

• Blight September 18, 2017 5:31 pm #

Didn’t seem like Mortarion did much there other than kill a squad and its ride. The rest of the army did all the heavy lifting. A more mobile force could dance around them and bringing psykers could mitigate the smite spam. I also think that grey knights can smite spam better than anyone.

• Beau September 18, 2017 5:37 pm #

He was kind of like a 7th edition wraith knight. He absorbed so much shooting and did not die that I feel that is what won DG the game. Plus he proved that he murders most units he comes into contact with so he cannot be safely ignored. Not to mention he buffs surrounding DG too.

Reecius September 19, 2017 8:27 am #

GK would obliterate Morty, they are the best army for facing Chaos, no doubt.

• Threllen September 19, 2017 9:28 am #

Yeah GK would throw his butt to the curb real fast. I’ve played against GK with Magnus the Red before. It’s not fun. and Magnus gets a +2 bonus to stopping their powers when he’s on full wounds vs Morty’s 1/3 chance to save mechanic.

Between the totally oppressive smite spam coming out of every unit and the force weapons with re-rolls galore, rushing daemons into GK melee range is a dangerous prospect indeed.

Reecius September 19, 2017 9:32 am #

Yeah, they rock Daemons. Especially when they bring a Culexus along, too.

• AbusePuppy September 19, 2017 5:28 pm #

GK are pretty fine with getting to Smite a nice, juicy daemon target. They can vape Mortarion or Magnus in fairly short order.

5. Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 11:03 am #

GK dominating morty? Hope you are not insinuating this will be done with smites.
    So far 7 games using GK vs morty.

Certainly not taking down morty with all them famed GK long ranged anti tank weapons.

I tried smites – ainty working unless the opponent is dumb enough to present morty as closest target. Thinking morty will happily stand first in line to face 10 smites a turn and using this as some sort of argument is beyond me. The smites need to work through rhino and drone screen first because those GK heavy weapons certainly wont do it.

Tried mass bolters – lol

Tried melee – lol @ getting entire squads wasted for the odd force weapon wounding.

Tried massed lasbacks – works with luck and enough of them.

All I hear are people telling me that gk “would” do this and “would” do that because someone played GK vs 1ksons. Nice logic there. Very convincing. lol

Culexus is not pure gk also. I mentioned GK, not imperial soup.

Reecius September 19, 2017 11:08 am #

If you can’t beat Chaos with GK you’re doing something wrong, my friend, haha. They wreck Chaos. You have every tool you need to win that fight.

And sure, the Culexus is not pure GK, but they’re all working with the Inquisition. Hardly unfluffy or even what I would consider Imperial Soup. Very characterful pairing and extremely potent, too.

• Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 12:16 pm #

If you cant realize I´m not talking gk vs chaos but gk vs morty and friends and then use this as some sort of winning argument instead of giving concrete examples then I really cant help you 😛

I have zero problems with gk vs chaos or deamons in general. Try not be so selective in the reading of what I say and we might actually end up with a constructive discussion.

I am still not, repeat not, talking about gk-imperial soup no matter the fluff but p u r e gk vs morty and friends.

If you guys stop using invented parables an de facto reply to what is being said maybe I could actually learn how aaawesome pure gk are in tabling morty and friends. Feel free to use threllen as a source of logic on this one.

I provided background, reasons and outcomes from my own gk vs morty games. You have so far provided parables, “what ifs” based on gk vs 1ksons aaand nothing else.

Waiting..

• RDP90 September 19, 2017 12:29 pm #

You’re an angry lil elf.

• Beau September 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Morty must have really ripped him a new one.

• Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 2:03 pm

I´m not angry at all..I´m raging mad furious!
            I pwromise!

lol

..feeling better?

• Nick Wenker September 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Every local gaming store has a “that guy”. Everyone knows who it is and why. Don is basically the “that guy” of the FLG comments section.

• Nick Wenker September 19, 2017 12:58 pm #

After the last few weeks, I am pretty sure that the reason Don is able to spend so much time writing ranting essays on the FLG website is because he’s anyway run out of people in his local area willing to play games with him.

• Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Wenker..or is it wanker?

• Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 3:05 pm

If you say so wanker then it must be so plus it also makes you feel better which is important for someone having lost his safe space.

On the other hand I care nothing about the “online” forum guy issues you have. I leave that online for snowflakes like you to bitch about.
            Although DO keep guessing about my real life gaming friends, it´s kind of fun.

If people avoid giving straight answers to valid questions given with a base for them and then gang up for reacting to said avoidance..well, that tells me all I really want to know. Problem solved.

So in other words wanker, about what you are pretty sure of..I´ll go with the the “care not” category for 1000$ please.

Reecius September 19, 2017 1:20 pm #

Lol, you are so abrasive, Don

• Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 2:00 pm

You are so evasive Reece 😛

I see that when I-playd-1ksons analogues and “what ifs” arent allowed then all the arguments go out the window and the mature brigade with Mr Wanker & Co hop in.

The small kids ganging-up attitide of the geniuses above is kind of funny. Talk about insecure little nerds who lack the balls to speak up unless five other hop in at the same time.

Almost as fun as the mature one in another thread claiming a verbal insult deserves a broken nose in real life. Must be some sort of berkley antifa gamer thing!

Oh well, I guess I´ll keep amusing myself with all the amazing “morty-must-have-ripped-him-a-new-one” responses from the sandbox that cant find a decent answer.

Sorry if you kids cant find a way to invent how deathwatch etc can handle morty but hey, dont let the desperation shine through.
            lol

• PrimoFederalist September 19, 2017 3:40 pm #

How have you been able to play 7 games of GK vs Mortarion? And do you mean Death Guard, or just Mortarion? You accused others of lack of reading comprehension: OK, what is the specific scenario you’re describing, because I’m unsure how you got 7 games in already using recently released rules.

• Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 4:16 pm #

How?
        Well, I play using GK (and once SM) vs death guard with morty.
        And yes, some models were proxied using orks to fill in enough pox walkers and pretending that open ground floor multi floor ruins terrain was LOS blocking but that is irrelevant.

Maybe I should take batrep pictures the next time and post but I dont know if I dare, I´ll probably be accused of being an even worse irl looser or something equally “fun” if I do.

And yes I accused others of failed reading comprehension because as I cleeearly stated multiple times by now I used and talked about GK vs morty and friends PLUS the logic behind based on a handful of games (vs the crowd in here that hasnt even gotten one gk vs dg game in) I was met with completely irrelevant butbutbut imperial soup and a 1ksons game vs GK reasons so therefore I am laughably wrong.

I reacted thus and tadaa..was met by Mr wanker & friends who thought it would be fun to start insulting me by dragging up my oh so failed real life gaming/friends situation using wild guessing.

I got 7 (8) 1850p games in due to:
        A: I love my GKs and refuse to give up vs the newest cheese and a friend who is a fanatic death guard gamer that really wanted to..

B: ..make a long all nighter with snacks, drinks and far to many hours of marathon gaming then was actually comfortable.

C: Throw a game or two more a few days after.

D: A few games were added but not even counted because 1-2 turn whiffs making GK concede (saving time).

Granted, “all” rules (codex) were not released the first games we played but we used the units and rules that were available from codex sneakpeeks, point costs, datasheets, relics, powers, wargear and strategems.
        The last games were using the actual codex in hand and in retrospect nothing wrong was made during the first games. We simply did not use the dg medic or dg grenade lists.

We used morty, rhinos, plague marines of various kinds, cultists, walkers, sorcs and drones. No errors, no chaos soups with warptime.
        We omitted terminators and typhus so no beefed up walkers were used.

We concentrated mostly on morty with fast screen and how (if) that could be handled by an army with no heavy long ranged spam.

We played drone explosion mortal wounds NOT affecting death guard units but only enemies, maybe that one was a mistake but still hardly a game changer even if.

I also detailed for example that traditional GK strengths vs daemons such as smites do not work vs morty due to fast screening reasons..something that was of-freaking-course totally omitted by the usual suspects making fun of me not being able to smite-win because I cant play gk vs “chaos” of all things (not, death guard, chaos. Color me least to say frustrated). The reasoning is almost insulting in its blatant red herring-ism.

Naturally on this forum, after pointing this out I am thus not only abrasive but also apparently a major looser in real life oh and all my gaming friends must of course hate me.

..oh and I deserve a broken nose in real life on top, maybe you missed that gem.

Yeah, I think I got all I need from the berkley antifa snowflake gamer brigade in here!

• Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 4:23 pm #

The one SM vs morty and friends game was a total disaster for morty and dg as they were easily tabled although not before reaching my SM lines partially due to that strategem that denies shooting unless closest target.

My standard salamanders SM list is pretty evil and I run lots of rerollable lascannons and the few things that survive rushing that are deleted by the second half of my army.

It was simply put, not fun for my friend to keep playing his dg vs my salamanders.

Thus my whole reasoning and question..how do expensive elite armies that dont have lascannon analogues spammable handle morty and friends.

• PrimoFederalist September 19, 2017 5:51 pm #

So since the codex was released on September 16, you’ve played 7 1,850 point games of Warhammer 40k?

• Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 6:53 pm

What part of my answer did you not understand?

I get the distinct feeling that you rally wont care no matter what I answer you as long as you can find something negative to pick on from it.

Fortunately my secondary job allows for a lot of spare time and my primary important one allows for total control of said spare time, from home no less..free time, of which I have tons, is a nice thing to have when one of my main hobbies is to paint, sculpt and play 40k.

Kind of a perk for being able to work from home on an early retirement..so that I dont having to work at all in the not so distant future. So yes, some weeks I dont get a single game in and some weeks I manage to be fed up from too much gaming. It mostly depends on the spare time my friends have over but then they are stuck in the wage slaving rat race and I´ll have to adjust.

Next 40k game (again, vs death guard) will most probably be a 3000p game and will take place in two days on the 22nd.

Next question!

• PrimoFederalist September 19, 2017 8:14 pm

• Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 9:37 pm

“I think it’s impressive: you played seven 1850 point games of 40k in three days while working two jobs. I would’ve thought GK would fair better, but I’m clearly wrong given the data you’ve compiled over the past 72 hours. A shame, give their fluff!”

Well I actually played 5 games in one day then 2 the next..then I was so fed up with 40k that I swore never to do that again.

And now I´m sitting eagerly awaiting the next game in two days time.

The two jobs are as I said, giving me almost complete control of my free time and I have lots of it too. Just because you have a job doesnt mean it must be 8 hours a day you know. A day trader can for example do all his daily work in 15 minutes if his “bat” files are done properly since all the RSI decisions/calculations will then be made automatically.

Yes, too bad I get ridiculed for saying GKs are underdogs vs morty and friends (not soups, vs soups and not vs chaos in general) because in a proper forum where opinions that differ from the norm are allowed and not sneered at others would retry this and possibly find other methods of making GK work. I am just one guy and cant be expected to find all the permutations of gk vs morty+dg.

6. Threllen September 19, 2017 12:59 pm #

Hey Reece, kind of random but do you have any idea if it was intentional that Possessed in the Death Guard codex can’t take Icons of Despair? Just noticed looking through the book that they can’t take any kind of icon whereas they are allowed to take icons in both the index and the regular CSM codex.

Reecius September 19, 2017 1:23 pm #

Probably a typo but will check.

7. Don Tomaso September 19, 2017 2:05 pm #

Has the nurgle d-prince wing thingy been resolved yet?
    Allowed? Not allowed? Points?

8. Laurence Elliott September 20, 2017 3:47 am #

Lol Don is the best. You only have to turn the crank a little and watch him spin out of control. You’re an entertaining lunch break amusement I’ll give you that.

Oh and the broken nose comment was simply an observation (somewhat crudely articulated I’ll admit) that you would never dare speak to someone that rude and threateningly face-to-face. Or maybe you would, it’s certainly possible you’re a troll irl as well as online

• Don Tomaso September 20, 2017 10:31 am #

Maybe I should break your jaw if you acted this way to me face to face, what say you?
      I mean we are talking about being rude to someone now arent we so I have a question for you, DO tell me, what would a weasel turd like Mr Wanker “well deserve” to have broken in real life due to his rudeness?
      ..because obviously only I am the rude one in the one way street forum.

Nope, I got all I needed from this forum. You have managed to shown me all I need to know.

At first I thought this to be a good place to voice different ideas, challenge rule and mechanic loopholes, have different opinions tested and try them out, what better place then in here at the very source of 8th but hey, a place filled with overly sensitive snowflake yes men busy cheerleading whatever the current release happens to be that the head honcho praises and that respond with “examples” of violence and ridicule you with made up theories about what a looser you must be in real life and then kick you when you defend yourself from this is really not a debate forum at all, more like a pathetic yes men sand box for cuddled millenial fanboy cretins who cant even grasp the concept of hypocrisy.

Debating against the grain opinions to and fro, challenging cemented beliefs without the sensitive fanboy sandbox loosing its safe space is done far better in places like BnC or dakka where little turds like wanker&co are “adminned” away on the spot. I merely thought this will be a deeper place then my other ones where we actually DO talk about “uncomfortable” ideas and opinions and try them out and if considered decent enough can even be invited to deeper more exclusive debate threads but crap what wrong I was with the PR fanboy central in here.

This forum IS truly the white dwarf analogue of 40k forums.

From now on I dont take anything seriously in here, just take it for the one way new-release-advertising show that it truly is and enjoy how the little triggered thugs are ganging up on anything challenging that, knowing amusingly most of you are or will in the future be stuck in a rat race that I dont have to be in.
      THAT..is the really funny thing and even if you possibly dont quite get it atm, oh boy but you will. 🙂

• RDP90 September 20, 2017 11:22 am #

BREAK HIS JAW DOM!!!

• Nick Wenker September 20, 2017 1:02 pm #

I hate to break it to you but no one reads any of the whiny essays you constantly spam all over this website. Maybe if you had one real job instead of two part time jobs you wouldn’t have so much spare time to ramble incoherently about “snowflakes” and make excuses for why you are so bad with Grey Knights. Take some of the time you are wasting on meaningless theorycrafting and invest it into working on your abrasive personality…everyone who is stuck interacting with you will be grateful for it.

• Don Tomaso September 20, 2017 1:43 pm #

Aww, no problem dishing it out but hurt snowflake cant take it in turn? What a surprise.

I like the straw grasping about me not having any “real” jobs too coming from a vegetable cretin who knows absolutely nothing about what i work with:P
          What´s the matter? Almost sound like you are jealous over the fact that I have a ton of free time despite working. I cant help it that you are too primitive to dig yourself out of the rat race. Maybe applying for more welfare will help?

See how nice it is when others make assumptions about your real life Wanker?
          As for breaking things..coming from you thats rich.
          It´s ok, you´ll eventually grow out of your cute 35 ibs snowflake frame and who knows, maybe even grow a pair too.

And still not a grain of substance over the GK issues, rather keep avoiding the topic, call it pointless theorycrafring while yourself having no problem theorycrafting up derogatory things about my real life and my jobs.
          Yeah, keep running with your little limp Wanker between your thin millenial legs and dont forget to keep throwing insults while bitching and moaning about mine back at you.
          Oh and what´s your address btw so I can send you a bag of safety pins and some diapers, hypocrite.

I´d prefer being “stuck” with people that interact back about balance and rules like in other real debate forums and not throw childlish tantrums calling everything touching your fragile circles meaningless. Feel free to unstuck yourself and crawl back to your safe space you poor sensitive crybaby.

I no longer care in here, I have my GK and DW debate(s) and playtesting with non snowflake tantrum feedback else where.

Reecius September 20, 2017 2:11 pm

OK, guys. This has gone far enough, cut the insults or I will have to start deleting posts.

• Blight September 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Reece please do. Every deathguard article or report gets filled up with these. It’s making it very hard to have a real discussion.

Reecius September 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Yeah, I hate to censor people, even when they say ridiculous things, but insults and such do not belong here.

• Beau September 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Someone may be in need of getting hit by a ban hammer.

9. Cross24 September 20, 2017 10:45 am #

It’s just toy soldiers… seriously

• Laurence Elliott September 21, 2017 12:20 am #

I just can’t stand rudeness and this guy is simply being a bully, for which I have a very low tolerance. If that makes me a “snowflake” so be it.

Happy to stand down – I realise I’m not helping matters

Reecius September 21, 2017 8:51 am #

Yeah, let’s avoid this kind of immature back and forth in the future, please.

Thanks, guys.

• Don Tomaso September 21, 2017 9:09 am #

Bullying? Bullying is usually defined by several ganging up on few over real or perceived flaws.
        Guess where the (your) bullying comes from in this thread. Dont answer, the question is rhetorical!

Myself I have zero tolerance for hypocrisy and the above mentioned..plus an actual spine.

Cause and effect. Since the derogatory “bullying” about my irl social life and real life jobs (from among others someone being a former lawyer, imagine that) seems to finally have stopped I am thus standing down.