Warhammer 40,000 News: Death Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus Codexes Announced!

Also, new errata for Grey Knights and Chaos Space Marines, too!

Grey Knights Errata

Chaos Space Marines Errata

Pretty cool, you can again take Berzerkers as troops in World Eaters detachments and likewise with Noise Marines in Emperor’s Children detachments! Daemon Princes also get legion traits which is awesome, too. That’s just part of it, make sure to jump in and check out some of those changes.

We also know that Death Guard is on the way, too! Beyond the obviously amazing impending release of Mortarion, we’ll also have loads of extra abilities, traits, relics, etc. to build customized and characterful Death Guard armies.

It has also been announced that Adeptus Mechanicus is inbound after Death Guard. Awesome! 8th edition is evolving rapidly and this book is sure to shake things up a lot, bringing together the Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus armies which were previously separate and are now joined together. I can’t wait to see how the community uses the amazing stratagems, relics, etc. that are contained in this book.

What are you most excited for?

31 Responses to “Warhammer 40,000 News: Death Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus Codexes Announced!”

1. Blight August 22, 2017 1:40 pm #

Have also heard of a deathguard apothecary. Sort of confirmed by a good source.
    Looking forward to both quite a bit.

Reecius August 22, 2017 1:44 pm #

Very interesting =)

Yeah, looking forward to getting more Codexes out in the wild!

2. Ethenbrul August 22, 2017 3:00 pm #

I am disappointed by the lack of Xenos thou I hoped they would do them after the chaos lot but now we get another imperial :/ I mean sweet more for my imps but my eldar want some love too

Reecius August 22, 2017 3:20 pm #

Patience, Grasshopper =) We’re getting 2 books a month here, lol, they can’t come out much faster than that. I am sure Eldar will get some attention sooner than later.

• Jural August 23, 2017 10:55 am #

Honestly- my Tyranid want to go in the “explosively expanding the power of units in an irresponsible manner” phase as opposed to the “overly cautious early release” phase or the “Oops, we went to far, time to become super conservative again” phase.

It’s a sweet spot that can carry an army through a whole edition!

Reecius August 23, 2017 12:26 pm #

Lol, nice assessment.

But, I will say, Nid players are going to be over the moon when their time comes =)

• Jural August 23, 2017 3:25 pm #

Right now I’m just glad I never got around to buying Hive Tyrants three through six, and also never got rid of my 6th edition stalwarts, genestealers!

3. bogalubov August 22, 2017 3:02 pm #

As an Iron Warrior player I am very much disappointed in the Chaos codex. The units that are worthwhile have just been reshuffled. Without new models the whole thing seems pointless and stale. I’m not holding much hope for Mechanicus codex.

Reecius August 22, 2017 3:20 pm #

How are new rules pointless? You have to remember, they can’t update every single army in the game with new models in the time-frame the codexes are coming out in. They’re hustling to get all of the Codexes out so that people can play 40k 8th ed with all of their tools and goodies. Some armies I am sure will get new models but you can’t expect it for each faction, especially when books are coming out two a month.

What you did get was a codex that was playable! Haha, the last book was very bad, IMO. This is a MASSIVE improvement. So much more enjoyable to play. I am sure new models will come out in time but I would suggest being happy you got an awesome Codex so early, a lot of players will have to wait quite a while for their faction’s new book.

• Threllen August 22, 2017 4:08 pm #

All my forgefiends and heldrakes just got cheaper, I got a free legion trait (even if I personally don’t like it that much), and the IW relic is badass.

Throw on top of that points reductions to a few CSM vehicles, huge points drops to warpsmiths, and Obliterators that are literally twice as good at shooting for the same price.

Basically everything an Iron Warriors player wants to use got better in some way with this codex. I don’t know how you can be disappointed with that…

Reecius August 22, 2017 5:23 pm #

And you got an AWESOME Warlord Trait, too!

• Threllen August 22, 2017 5:29 pm #

Eh I tend to focus my IW lists around havocs, oblits, or vehicles so the trait isn’t super super good for a lot of my armies but Cultists are definitely appealing now thanks to that trait. Especially with their needed 1ppm drop and the fact you don’t have to pay for their autoguns like you did last edition.

• bogalubov August 22, 2017 10:06 pm #

So GW released a half baked index that I got to use for 2 games. Then GW released a codex that adjusted points and gave a warlord trait and legion trait of limited utility and I should be thrilled for paying 60 dollars for that? This after waiting for 2 editions for a new book. I would have rather waited longer for them to come up with new models and non shitty rules than have this double rush job.

• rvd1ofakind August 22, 2017 10:49 pm #

Don’t bother, Reece, It’s not worth it… This one is a lost cause…

• Blight August 23, 2017 4:08 am #

You paid 60 for your codex?

Reecius August 23, 2017 8:24 am #

The Codex was not rushed, I can assure you of that, lol. But hey, if you don’t like, you don’t like it. I love it, personally.

• bogalubov August 23, 2017 11:09 am

Feeling tired and over worked so I let the snark and swearing get out of hand, so sorry about that.

I don’t agree with the design of the book as I don’t think point drops and trying to encourage people to accumulate command points is an effective way to promote diverse armies. People still spam the most effective unit. FOC manipulation to me seems a better way. But people can disagree on that.

Charging people money to use an index that’s pretty close to the final codex to use that book for 2 months does seem like a dick move though.

Reecius August 23, 2017 12:28 pm

All good, I get cranky at times, too.

But what would you suggest then? Haha, not releasing an index with the new edition? That would have caused a shit storm of anger. GW didn’t really have a choice, they had to give everyone rules to play the game out the gates and then tried to pump out the codexes as fast as they could but even at two a month for most months, it will still take a long time to get through them all. This was the compromise.

And the Index still gives you rules for the other factions in it, so the money spent on it wasn’t wasted.

• Jural August 23, 2017 3:29 pm

personally, I think they should have had the indexes up for free online or at some ridiculously low $5 each cost. In some cases, we basically bought indexes for one month of use.

But I know they wanted a print run, and selling books of any caliber at $5 may have been bad.

Of course the ideal thing would have been to have the full price index come with a one time “50% off a future codex” coupon or code, something like that. Then people buying an index for just one faction get a nice boost, and people who get three or four factions out of the same Dex would get a minimal impact, but would have got a lot more mileage out of the index.

4. rvd1ofakind August 22, 2017 8:00 pm #

Hope Ad Mech has some pts drops, especially in the troops section.
    And some way to actually move without allying in deep strikers

Will all Nurgle Daemons be in the Death Guard Codex?

5. Jural August 23, 2017 10:56 am #

Very curious to see the rules for Mortarion, and exactly how different from CSM they plan to make Death Guard.

6. Don Tomaso August 23, 2017 12:13 pm #

This is so cool. My death guard fanatic playing friend is drooling over this one as do I since I often face his disgustingly resilent armies on the table top.

Weird front cover though, are those emperors pink-o children dressed up in green battle plate? lol

7. AZGorilla August 23, 2017 1:49 pm #

Am I wrong that this edition wasn’t going to be all about more books you have to buy? Weren’t we initially supposed to get updates like Dataslates etc? I feel like I’m investing more money in another edition of a 40k Library instead of actual models to play with. Of course I’ll end up buying most of them, but I was hoping to expand my collections of models not books for the same money. Not trying to be salty, just asking a legitimate question, please feel free to tell me if I am wrong.

• bogalubov August 23, 2017 2:55 pm #

That was my impression as well. Hence my saltiness above. I really thought that units would just come with rules in the box and then there would be campaign books that allowed you to string unique armies together. And now I’ve bought 3 indexes, 3 forgeworld indexes and one codex. Clearly the problem is that I’m voting with my dollar to keep supporting this business model…but I’m growing more unhappy with the process.

• AZGorilla August 23, 2017 3:52 pm #

Agreed Sir, you bought 3 Indexs, 3 FW books, and 1 Codex. What you didn’t buy was 3-5 boxes of cool new models, paints and other hobby supplies. Or 2 Boxes of models, your Event Pass for the LVO and your 1st round of drinks!

Just Sayin’

• Jural August 23, 2017 3:31 pm #

At the very least, I hope they can fix the digital editions when FAQ’s come out or if there are errors. There are like 3-4 errors in my CSM “Enhanced Edition” download.

I don’t mind the errors that much, but why aren’t these living documents???

8. Don Tomaso August 23, 2017 4:30 pm #

So morty is beastly, ok I guess in a resilent way that he should rather then a kill-your-entire-army-singlehandidly way?

The blueberry man is more like a support super heavy making your army better, morty “should” be more like a cant be killed type rather then a damage dealer that earns his points back in two turns of combat.

The big question is however when the imbalance of numbers will be addressed.
    We have 2 evil primarchs vs 1 good so when´s the next good guy coming?
    If they release one a year I just might make it before death till I see Vulkan out there.

9. Gobstopper August 23, 2017 7:28 pm #

I’m curious about the DG mini dex in the Dark Imperium. I wondrr if this is a preview of Death Guard Vectoriums (factions)

Pallid Hand: Spearhead formation is +3 CP
    Apostles of Contagion: Blight Grenades STR 6
    Fecund Ones: Enemy troops are -1 Toughness
    Glooming Lords: -1 to hit over 12″s away
    Putrid Choir: -1 to enemy morale rolls
    Pox Mortis: Blight Grenades can be thrown by all Marines
    Mouldering Claw: Plague weapons are +1 strength in assault
    Weeping Legion: 4+ Disgustingly Resilient
    Carrion Hounds: Endless waves of poxwalkers
    Heralds of Despair: Plagueburst crawlers +1 strength
    Corpsemakers: Ignore Cover saves

10. rvd1ofakind August 23, 2017 7:44 pm #

I really hope Mortarion isn’t balanced around his aura but rather his power as a sole model, like Magnus. So I can use him in my non-death guard army ^.^

11. Don Tomaso August 24, 2017 9:33 am #

As long as morty isnt made into a 7ed magnus, basically an untouchable piece of flying D-line auto win button shit.

God I effing hated 7th and the power disparity the codex writing morons gave us. Just seeing an eldar model or a riptide on the table still automatically makes me pissed of due to 7th.

Oh well, lets hope codex emperors chi..I mean pink-o death guard will be fun and varied and competitive without being op broken. So far with what we see with 8th I have high hopes and also a lot of fun at the tabletop.
    Looking forward to this codex.