Thursday Night Fight: T’au vs. New Space Marines

We’ve got a special guest tonight, Quinton and his T’au taking on Reecius and his Raptors Space Marines featuring the new Space Marine codex! Join us at 5pm PST to join the fun.

Reecius’ Raptors army features a mix of MSU and full strength units to take advantage of the various stratagems in the book!

Unit Force Org Cost # Total Weapons Cost # Total Total Notes

Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Ujayim
Ujayim
4 years ago

Now this is a Thursday night fight.

Can’t wait.

Cephalobeard
Cephalobeard
Reply to  Reecius

Who wouldn’t be excited for Reasonable Marines?

Don Tomaso
Don Tomaso
4 years ago

Ooo, this is going to be SO fun. Reece and his crazy dice, cant be better then that.

Will treat this one as a fun and well needed vacation from watching all those embarrassing playtest fails that are the overpriced grots with waterpistols weighted down with crippling army weaknesses..I mean the grey knights.

Now has Reece given up on his chessex dice or not? 😛

TrexPushups
TrexPushups
Reply to  Reecius

Issodon’s gun seems real mean.

Stone
Stone

Looking forward to it.
Can you please do a bit of a spiel about issodon and tips & tricks w him.
Also deployment w him – is his ability treated like a transport or separate pick for each SftS squad?
Can you have each squad appear in a separate location, or all with issodon? If with then what is with? 6″ bubble?
Go raptors!

Stone
Stone
Reply to  Stone

Reading ftw – 3 separate deployment picks, appearing independently 🙂

SacTownBrian
SacTownBrian
4 years ago

I’ll have to watch tomorrow. Hope it’s a good fight, excited to see Issodon and Vanguard Vets. I really like gunslinging grav pistols on Vanguard Vets. Expensive but nasty. Interested to see how they do with single plasma pistols.

jonathan
jonathan
4 years ago

I don’t understand how Quinton has only got 1 CP from that list. It looks like he has run 2 HQs and 3 troops so there is 3 minimum. I don’t see what is 2 auxilliary choices that lose him 2

Threllen
Threllen
Reply to  jonathan

He took 4 elite slots so he couldn’t fit that in a battalion detachment.

However, I think he could have taken one battalion and an auxiliary for his 4th elite. That would have given him one more CP at least.

Threllen
Threllen
Reply to  Threllen

At least I’m assuming when he says “crisis suits x2” he means two squads. But I could be wrong. Haven’t had a chance to watch.

Threllen
Threllen
Reply to  Reecius

Oh, duh! I was thinking of the other special slots which are 0-3. He totally could have run that in a battalion, then.

Alex
Alex

Hey, Quinton, Reece!

First of all, interesting game, guys. Secondly, Reece, did you CHEAT on your teenage opponent by only paying 2 CPs for 2 extra relics? AND ignoring that Infiltrate for Scouts has been FAQ’d? Shame! 😉 I say moral victory goes to Quinton!

That said, Reece, I run a sorta/kinda similar list to yours except I am dropping Kantor with GravDevs and Terminators. But I am ALSO running 3 Tactical Squads with C-Plasma & Lascannon each in backfield roles and 2×5 Sniper Scouts in (or out of) LSS for midfield. Given the structural similarities of the list, I’d like to ask you about your opinion on fine-tuning of my list (might help you fine-tune yourself after all):

I have a few points to spare and wonder what you think about these modifications (I don’t have the points for all, so I need to prioritize):
A. Giving the Scouts a HB each (great for stratagem but it makes them synergize less with my Vindicare)
B. Giving the backfield Tacticals an extra body to make taking each Lascannon out more arduous.
C. Giving the backfield Tacticals Poweraxes in addition to the C-Plasma.

One thing I really don’t like is those Tacticals only sitting back there all game. What do you think about pushing some of them forward midfied (or least daisy chaining them forward and keeping the Lascannon stationary)? Bringing the Sergeant more into play. Your Tacticals on the backheels of your Scouts could really bring the squeeze onto the enemy late game. Otherwise the C-Plas seems sometimes wasted…

If you got a few moments to spare, please let me know what you think.

Alex
Alex
Reply to  Reecius

Oh, my Scout Sarges already do have C-Plasma since it does not replace a Sniper Rifle! Having them in speedy LSSs can be pretty good! The latter of which also provides one thing that your army list lacks a bit imho: mobility. What if Quinton had brought down his deepstrikers at the other end of the table? What if you play against highly mobile dark eldar lists? If there’s enough LOS blockers, a mobile enemy can leave you in the dust.

For that reason, I have the LSS in my list (and in emergencies the 10 Termies with their teleport homer). If I wanted to optimize the list further, I’d probably include flamer bikers or possibly plasma company veteran bikers. Not to mention that fast units like LSS or Biker can possibly be suicide-positioned forward just to interdict crucial enemy counter movement (or deep strikers) for one turn!

Anyway, given your lack of mobility, I would really advise against deploying right at the enemy table edge in tournaments (unless the enemy has an immobile castle). For fun, casual play it’s just fine. 🙂

tl;dr = consider putting one more mobile element into your army, even if it means a bit less firepower

Don Tomaso
Don Tomaso
4 years ago

Just starting to watch, looks awesome.

The SM list is fun but to bad the entire army hinges on one single special (forgeworld) character. Remove this one model from the list and it all falls back down to regular raven guard.

To me is sounds less then “awesome army” and more “awesome special character”. 😛

Don Tomaso
Don Tomaso
4 years ago

Wow, that was a nice game. That´s how they are supposed to be.

N1njad4ve
N1njad4ve
4 years ago

Hey Reece how are you reserving that many units with only 6 units on the ground?

looks like you had 11 units in reserve. Even if the drop pod was the only thing counted you still had 7.

Other than that looks like a cool army. Needs more plasma guns, I was looking at Lias as an Alpha legion surrogate (and Shrike led Ravens) to bring lots of plasma wielding vets.

Have you run up against a guard list with a conscript blob forcing your deep strikers out of optimal range for the good targets?
Also wouldn’t mixing your dev squads weapon loadouts up among the units make it harder for your opponent to kill the guns they are actually afraid of – each unit taking 1 melta + 2/3 HB.

N1njad4ve
N1njad4ve
Reply to  Reecius

“When setting up your army during Deployment for
a matched play game, at least half the total number of units in your
army must be set up on the battlefield,”

From the core rules. It’s about total number of units not drops.

Isn’t Lias, Sternguard, Cap, Vanguard, Drop pod, Dev, Dev 7 units?

Also have you struggled against fliers? It just seems that bringing your own planes is the only cost effective counter to even a couple Storm Ravens, or other decent fliers.

mehforlife
mehforlife
4 years ago

tau drones don’t get a 5+FNP. You should of killed those suits a lot faster.

WestRider
Reply to  mehforlife

It was added to Shield Drones in the v1.1 FAQ.

mehforlife
mehforlife
Reply to  WestRider

im looking at the GW rules and erreta and can’t seem to find this. link please

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x