Monday Night Fight: Chaos vs. Tyranids!

Join us for a LIVE game of 40k tonight, Chaos vs. Tyranids at 5pm PST on our Twitch Channel.

Reecius is bringing what was his KDK army for a fun game of 8th! It is not a mixed Chaos army but a lot of fun and still captures the feel of the older army.

Unit Force Org Cost # Total Weapons Cost # Total Total Notes
Heldrake Flyer 138 1 138 Heldrake Claws 17 1 17
Baleflamer 60 1 60
Heavy Quad Launcher Battery Heavy Support 73 2 146 0
Crew 4 6 24 0
Heavy Quad Launcher Battery Heavy Support 73 2 146 0
Crew 4 6 24 0
Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment Questor Traitoris       Command Points 0     577
Renegade Knight Lord of War 320 1 320 Rapid Fire Battle Cannon 100 1 100
0 Rapid Fire Battle Cannon 100 1 100
0 Heavy Stubber 4 3 12
0 Stormspear Rocket Pod 45 1 45
Totals     76 1463       354 1817
Command Points: 6       Detachments: 3

Frankie will be piloting Reecius’ Tyranid list and seeing if he can overcome the firepower and melee of the Chaos hordes of Khorne!

Unit Force Org Cost # Total Weapons Cost # Total Total
0 Adrenal Glands 5 1 5
Toxin Sacs 8 1 8
Detachment 3 Command Points 0
0 0
Totals     92 1534       465 1999
Command Points: 7       Detachments: 0

26 Responses to “Monday Night Fight: Chaos vs. Tyranids!”

1. Lardus July 17, 2017 1:18 pm #

I think my GK army is turning to Khorne as I charged Genestealers in CC!! This edition is so much fun to learn what units do what, that I do silly thinks I know will go bad just to see HOW bad it goes and what models can handle what. Then in future I know from experience what to avoid 🙂 Have fun with the game – looking forward to viewing once again!

Reecius July 17, 2017 2:19 pm #

That sounds like a blast!

2. Threllen July 17, 2017 1:36 pm #

I just played with a daemon prince for the first time yesterday and oh my god are those things awesome now. I was doing a Deathguard army so I had 3 Bloat-drones flying around in front of it. The fact that you can now hide Daemon Princes makes them sooo good.

On a side note, I do have a few quibbles with them:
    1) A CSM prince is the same price as a CD prince even though the god-specific bonuses you get on a CD prince are way better than Death to the False Emperor. Although I’ll take the CSM psychic powers any day of the week.
    2) The axe and sword options seem hilariously overpriced relative to two sets of talons for the fact they aren’t THAT much better in close combat.

Reecius July 17, 2017 2:19 pm #

They are indeed soooooo good! lol

The Axe and Sword are a bit pricey though, I agree.

• Threllen July 17, 2017 2:38 pm #

I decided to math-hammer it out against everything from T1 to 9 and armor save 2+ to 6+.

There are some slight variations but from an unsaved wounds perspective you’re almost always best off with the talons except in a small number of cases where the axe outperforms it. From a damage perspective the axe is generally the best but the Talon is very close and sometimes outperforms it on a standard daemon prince. If you’re a Khorne DP (especially on the charge) then the damage the axe puts out starts to really shine.

In most every circumstance the sword is definitively the worst choice. Against chaffe units it’s going to get both out-wounded and out-damaged by the talons. Against anything tough the axe is a much better choice. So I would never, ever take the sword but the axe might be appealing if you’re going after models with 3 or more wounds or T7+

Reecius July 17, 2017 2:58 pm #

Yeah, the extra attacks on the talons makes all the difference.

• Fagerlund July 17, 2017 7:31 pm #

Yeah Daemon Princes are soo good now. I played a couple of games with a Flying Circus and I really wasn’t sure it’d work in this edition. But damn they just erased the opposition.
      It’s also the only way to play Daemons I’ve foind that actually works…

• Threllen July 18, 2017 5:44 am #

Did you include greater daemons in that flying circus? I’ve been playing mainly CSM so far so I haven’t busted out a greater daemon yet. The fact that you can’t hide them makes me leery. Kairos/LoC especially are so freaking expensive for the fact that one lucky lascannon shot would do almost half their wounds…

3. Don Tomaso July 17, 2017 2:52 pm #

Then lower some of the overpriced wargear costs later on, they can be seen all over the place/races.

Spotting these things is not that hard and requires some simple logic and kindergarden math to spot them and then a little playtesting just to be certain.

An example from elsewhere: Do you think anyone in their right minds will ever take 3 infantry models at 400p that further on require a very costly transport to even work?

If so I am gladly awaiting a batrep with a landraider toting 3 assault cents with misslles and twin meltas each or even better, footslog them and see what will in general happen.

The entire clean in-vacuum approach to wargear cost no matter its platform and some of the unit point cost vs to situational uses is a big fail that causes loadouts/units to forever collect dust.

Go over every unit and think of its various loadout options and what it further on must rely on in order to earn points back and ask yourself the following:
    1: Will I ever take that in a tournament?
    2: Will I ever take that in a friendly semi competitive game?
    3: Will I ever take that in a silly all-fun fluff battle?

4: Will said unit/loadout lead to a massive nerf for me relative to what it earns me back in any of the three above points?

Yes, there are these examples stuffed here and there throughout the indexes. If you dont have the time I´m sure there are tons of smart players out there who would love to crunch prep work numbers for you.

4. Fagerlund July 17, 2017 7:27 pm #

So I was trying to figure out what Reece and Frankie meant before when they said “you actually want to take Chaos Marines now” as I just can’t see any reason for taking them over Cultists due to their high cost. Thought I was going to ask here, but seeing Reece’s list I guess he figured out Chaos Marines are still nlt worth it too. ;p

Reecius July 17, 2017 7:30 pm #

Yeah they are, haha. This is a Renegades and daemons list 🙂 but you take havocs. Havics are amazing. My night lords are my has lots of chaos marines in it.

• Fagerlund July 17, 2017 7:39 pm #

Havocs were nice before too though! But I think Predators are better in the same slot.

Either way I was talking about Marines as the Troop choice. I just can’t see why I’d want to put down far less wounds for more points. With the nerfs as well (3+ armour is way worse vs a lot of weapons, bolters without AP, no longer able to shoot out of Rhinos, less attacks…) it’s hard to see their utility. Sure you can take a single heavy weapon per five guys… but is one shot really worth 100- something points when you can put that into three times as many bodies holding the same objective?

Reecius July 18, 2017 8:25 am #

Wait for the Codexes before passing judgement =) We haven’t even gotten one, yet.

But in the indexes? Yeah, I agree, you take Havocs or Chosen or what have you.

That said, you’re actually seeing Havocs and Chosen and Berzerkers and Chaos Temrinators, etc. again. That is awesome!

5. Jural July 17, 2017 9:10 pm #

Since the Tyranid are in this one- Are Lictors just useless now? Good rules and statline, but being limited to one model per unit is weak. Deathleaper is fun, but I just don’t see the point of fielding only 1 or 2, or giving up First Blood and a -1 to go first to put a bunch out there…

They were sooooo close to being on my table again.

Reecius July 18, 2017 8:25 am #

They’re good I just don’t have any of them assembled and painted =)

• Jural July 18, 2017 8:46 am #

Do you really see a use for a single model? It just seems like a single T4, 3 W, 5+ save piece isn’t going to do too much in this edition.

Great rules, great models, I just can’t see fielding them as 0-1 models per unit.

Reecius July 18, 2017 8:49 am #

Good for getting that Brigade.

6. Jural July 17, 2017 9:26 pm #

Also- Chaos related… is it a typo that the Chaos Lord on bike has no gear options?

• Threllen July 18, 2017 5:47 am #

What do you mean? The lord in the index? The bike lord has the exact same weapon options that the standard lord has (minus taking a jump pack, obviously).

• Jural July 18, 2017 8:45 am #

In my pdf version there are no options! For the Chaos Lord on Bike only. I have the upgraded edition (with all the links and stuff.)

I was 99% sure it was a typo, I’m glad the other versions don’t have the same thing

• Threllen July 18, 2017 10:10 am #

Must be an issue with the PDF then. My physical copy has the options there.

• Jural July 18, 2017 11:27 am

Best news I’ve heard today!

7. Adro July 18, 2017 4:28 pm #

Reecius one question:

In that game when you shoot with the Biovores each time Frankie miss he put a spore, but he can´t paid the cost (and the rules said you need to pay for each of the model so am I missing something? (faq or something similar?)

Reecius July 18, 2017 6:01 pm #

The book says the extra spore mines are free =)

• Adro July 19, 2017 3:53 am #

Ohh I am blind :S jaja

Thanks 🙂

8. black mage July 20, 2017 9:32 am #

what about mawlocks i saw some lists plays a couple of them like Geoff “incontrol” BAO list