Signals from the Frontline #545: 8th Ed 40k FAQ Released!

Join us for the live show on our Twitch channel by following this link! The show starts at 11am, PST.

Show Notes

Date: 7-3-17

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at a discount! Hit us up for your next gaming order at or visit our webstore at
  • You think Reecius’ T-Shirts are cool? Buy yours, here!

• The Las Vegas Open 2018 registration will open this month! Make sure to put a few bucks aside to grab those tickets when they become available.

• The big story of the day though is the Warhammer 40,000 8th edition FAQ that was released by Games Workshop over the weekend. Wow, they are on the ball! They clarified tons of ambiguities, answered questions, fixed typos and even balanced some issues with the early version of the game. Well done, GW.

Upcoming ITC Events

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

27 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline #545: 8th Ed 40k FAQ Released!”

1. Ujayim July 3, 2017 4:04 pm

With everyone mentioning Brimstone’s as a problem, I honestly don’t know what the solution people see for them might be. There is a reason people aren’t using pinks, or even more blues, and it’s simply because they’re far, far too inefficient for what they do.

They’re still L7, and easily affected by morale, and do *basically nothing other can act as bodies and screens. I think they’re far less of a problem than Conscripts, especially with ITC draft making every 20 pts of Brimstone’s worth the same amount of KP as 100pt Pink squads.

Reecius July 3, 2017 9:43 pm

They are far too good, agreed.

• Ujayim July 4, 2017 4:33 am

I guess I’m just waiting to see Brimstone horrors dominate a tournament if they’re as bad as people are trying to make them out to be. I have a bias, I won’t deny it, but I am afraid that a bit of sensationalism may gut my factions most efficient troop choice, or force me to use the much more expensive versions, losing all the versatility I felt I gained on purpose, with no longer having deep strike, expanded psychic powers, etc.

Reecius July 4, 2017 8:21 am

They just were a part of a tournament winning list. Well, two actually. Both of those lists also heavily featured FW Chaos units, though so hard to say hoe important the Brims were.

• Ujayim July 4, 2017 8:57 am

Neat, didn’t know! Thanks!

• Will Grant July 5, 2017 1:05 pm

Not sure if our 30 man is one of the ones Reece is referring to, but I won with brims plus a smattering of FW.

Thing is I really like 5 man blues with 5 man brims with a wealth of summon points to keep my screens up. I agree they could probably go up to 3 or 4, but pinks should come down a bit.

Were they integral in the win? Sure, as a renegades player I’m using them something like zombies to protect my back lines, and think I would continue to do the same with cultists/poxwalkers. A cog but not the machine.

I also think the list suffers once progressive objectives are a thing again as all stand and shoot armies will be.

• Ujayim July 5, 2017 1:22 pm

Right, so you’re using them with renegades to fill the void zombies, as the cheapest unit, used to fill.

I’m using them because they’re the only direct Tzeentch faction troop choice, and enjoy the synergy.

Things like Conscripts and Brimstone’s are unique in their cost to their faction, but abused by being easily available to other factions

• Threllen July 5, 2017 8:15 am

“With everyone mentioning Brimstone’s as a problem, I honestly don’t know what the solution people see for them might be.”

Make them cost 3 or 4 points instead of 2. Easiest fix ever. They are crazy points efficient and, even if they don’t have a huge probability of getting smite off it, it’s way more problematic that they have access to mortal wounds at such a cheap cost compared to Pinks and Blues.

They are, as far as I know, the cheapest unit in the game. So you can stick a million of them on the field for board control and they’re not even super easy to remove thanks to their invul compared to other dirt cheap units.

Plain and simple it’s not the rules for using brims that make them OP. They have a hard time getting smite off and they lose a dude when they try. But they just can’t be 2 points a model.

• cephalobeard July 5, 2017 9:49 am

I think all versions of horrors should cost less than two versions of their superior form.

Ex. Pinks Cost 8pts, Blues cost 5, Brimstones cost 3.

This gives you an actual incentive to use the stronger version, instead of the opposite.

• Threllen July 5, 2017 10:41 am

I would be fine with those costs, actually. I think Pinks at the moment are a tad spendy. Sure, they actually have a shooting attack and they don’t lose one model to every psychic tests. But if you tell me that I can get 5x the units of brims for each unit of pinks… i’m choosing the brims every time.

8/5/3 would be much better and I might have to actually think about what type of Horror I want to put in my army…

• cephalobeard July 5, 2017 10:54 am

Yep. You need to make the stronger unit cost less than double the worse unit, or people will just spam the worse unit because it’s more efficient.

2. Horton July 4, 2017 4:07 am

I love 8th, I think its great, but the points cost of the brimstone horror and the Dark Eldar Razorflock make no sense. They are way way waaaay too cheap. I say this after playing lots of games with/against both. Is GW aware of this issue?

Reecius July 4, 2017 8:22 am

I’d say they probably are =)

I agree, they are a bit much. Same for Conrscripts, IMO.

GW has shown they are willing to make changes and so I would bet if you are patient that those changes will occur.

Time will tell.

3. Lorenzo July 4, 2017 6:40 am

Interesting to see how the meta is developing on both sides of the pond.

It seems that flyer spam + bobby g was practically unbeatable at a recent 90-man event in the UK, when you guys mentioned that you found stormravens mediocre. GW UK is about to sell out of them for a looooong time

Reecius July 4, 2017 8:24 am

They are good, true. Bobby G is crazy good, too. And flyer lists are doing very well here, too.

The problem is that it is hard to stop these kinds of armies due to the way the list building architecture is laid out. As you can take as many of any units as you please, spam will rise up quickly as being quite good.

However, I’d recommend waiting for the codexes to drop before committing to a very extreme list like all Stormravens, etc.

4. cavalier July 4, 2017 8:23 am

Hey guys one question I have… Are Yvraine + the Yncarne the only units which can cast Ynnari psy-powers? Can Warlocks and Farseers cast them if they are in a Ynnari detachment?

Reecius July 4, 2017 8:25 am

No, they do not gain the Ynnari psychic powers as I read it.

• cavalier July 4, 2017 9:45 am

Ok thanks! Good incentive to take those gals. Thanks!

5. Messy0 July 4, 2017 11:43 pm

Do units in reserve count towards your drops?

• Michael Corr
      Michael Corr July 5, 2017 1:27 am

According to the rulebook, they do count as drops.

6. Matt July 5, 2017 4:09 am

Anyone else notice Purestrain Genestealers dropped 8 points down to 10 each for Genestealer Cult? Wow – a full unit of 20 went from 360 down to 200 – paid for more Taurox Primes in my GSC/AM list

• Will Grant July 5, 2017 8:45 am

Yeah they are cheaper than their nid cousins now. Really good

7. C-Stock July 5, 2017 6:29 am

Yeah, unfortunately spam is dominating the hell out of our local meta. Pick the best units and spam, spam, spam away.

Conscript spam is the biggest offender, Imperial players are abusing the heck out of them… 2/3 of the players I faced in my tournament last week sported huge conscript blobs and neither was IG primary…..

You can’t even clear them out with anti-infantry fire really because they only cost 3 points and there’s just too many. The best anti-infantry guns in the game simply weren’t meant to fight conscripts.

8. C-Stock July 5, 2017 6:33 am

Sadly… and I mean sadly…. 8th edition’s promise of “everything will be good” and increased list diversity isn’t playing out as advertised.

I hope GW fixes units that are too good, fixes units that are too bad (some GSC stuff, Eldar Falcon & Vyper, etc), and does something about spam in general. And hopefully we don’t have to wait a long time for action to be taken because these issues are screwing up tournaments today.

9. Threllen July 5, 2017 8:22 am

I hate their errata on understrength units. As a daemon player if I don’t want to spam already OP brimstone horrors I can just spend 2 points in a matched play game to fill a compulsory troop slot…

I really hope most tournaments say no understrength units as well as limiting the number of detachments available. The level of abuse you can pull off with understrength units is just too high when you can just take a single model and have it fill an entire slot…

10. Will Grant July 5, 2017 8:43 am

Are there any other exactly 30 wound lord of wars besides the necron pylon?

I ask bc I see the pylon as a great equalizier and 30 or less includes the pylon but 30 or more puts the pylon outside the itc.

Some of our local guys are looking to order the pylon so any hints towards its purchase are welcomed

11. zyekian July 5, 2017 1:09 pm

C-stock, I think it’s too early to even discuss the “promise” of 8e playing out or not. If GW is aggressive at balancing units then everything will be fine.

Yeah, I think 98% of people out there feel that conscripts are brokenly good and way too abusable. They should cost more – also they shouldn’t be able to accept orders IMO. They’re conscripts, not trained guardsmen.