Signals from the Frontline #543: 8th ed 40k Tournaments a GO!

Join us for the live show on our Twitch channel by following this link! The show starts at 11am, PST.

Show Notes

Date: 6-26-17

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at 20% off! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at FrontlineGaming.org.
  • You think Reecius’ T-Shirts are cool? Buy yours, here!

News

•  We had the chance to play at an 8th edition tournament this weekend and it was a great learning experience and a lot of fun! At Ease Games is a really awesome game store.
    • Pablo brought Roboute and Dev spam and went 1-2.
    • Reecius went 2-0-1 with his Wraithhost, Eldar.
    • James went 3-0 with a brutal Chaos army featuring a lot of Forgeworld units.
  • The early 8th ed ITC modified book missions largely in action.
  • 8th edition transition discussion. It is interesting to see folks’ sticking points.

• SoCal Open looks to be an awesome first year event, with larger 40k attendance than the established and very awesome BAO! We will have DzC and DfC registration numbers updated soon as well.

• Speaking of the BAO, we wanted to give everyone an update on that event and what to expect from it as well.

• The Las Vegas Open 2018 registration will also be opening up in later July, so be sure to mark your calendars for that! This is THE event in our lineup, and it sells out very quickly so make sure to set aside some cash to jump on a spot.

Upcoming ITC Events

24 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline #543: 8th ed 40k Tournaments a GO!”

1. Cephalobeard June 26, 2017 9:52 am #

I wanna see Pablo’s Knight list he touts up in action!

😉

Reecius June 26, 2017 11:06 am #

It is quite good!

• Subclavian Steel June 26, 2017 1:05 pm #

It’s strong. First list my 4 knight list lost to. There was a point in the game where I had all 4 knights and Pablo was down to 1 knight and guilliman. He still ended up tabling me.

2. Wayniac June 26, 2017 10:46 am #

This makes me wish there were ITC events where I am, but it’s like virtually unknown in Florida that I’m aware of 🙁

Reecius June 26, 2017 11:05 am #

There are events in Florida, but yeah, try introducing the BCP app to some local TOs. It makes their life infinitely easier.

3. Splurgus June 26, 2017 11:57 am #

What list was James running?

4. black mage June 26, 2017 12:08 pm #

any demon at that event? what they play? thx

5. CaptainA June 26, 2017 3:39 pm #

Boise Cup GT at ABU Games! Gamer’s Haven is in Spokane Valley, WA!

Reecius June 27, 2017 6:02 am #

Doh! Thanks for the heads up, buddy.

• Threllen June 27, 2017 7:27 am #

Too bad the third place list in that tournament was illegal and no one caught it.

He used a detachment that required 2-3 HQs and used Roboute as an HQ. He’s a LoW…

• black mage June 27, 2017 8:12 am #

where did you see the lists?

• Threllen June 27, 2017 8:15 am #

I believe they’re all up on blood of kittens but I can’t view that at work (blocked by spy portal). However, I could see the third place list here.

He used a battallion detachment which requires 2-3 HQs and he used Guilliman as his second HQ even though he’s a LoW. That enabled him to fit his army into a batallion and get a total of 6 CP.

In order to legally field the army he used he would have had to use a patrol detachment, an auxiliary for Guilliman, and an auxiliary for the 4th troop choice. Meaning he should have had 1 CP instead of 6.

• black mage June 27, 2017 8:37 am

blood of kittens has only the top 3 lists, btw ty

Reecius June 27, 2017 12:11 pm #

I think there will be a lot of that type of error until an accurate app is built.

6. stimjams June 27, 2017 4:57 am #

I’d love to hear some more about that East Coast GT well-rounded Blood Angels list!

7. Horton June 27, 2017 5:34 am #

We ran a tournament with 3 book missions at the same time, each worth 10 points. It worked well and was a lot of fun. 8th edition is a ton of fun!

Reecius June 27, 2017 6:00 am #

That sounds like a good idea. Glad you’re enjoying the new edition 🙂

8. Garry June 27, 2017 10:21 am #

I know I’ve poked around this question a few times, but why not use the maelstrom missions as is with the discard unachievable objectives house rulr. Then you can add the +1 to first turn roll, roll for deployment and so on.

I really like the maelstrom missions because you can spend command point to roll a new mission which makes it crazy fun.

Reecius June 27, 2017 1:53 pm #

The Maelstrom missions are a lot of fun.

9. Duncan June 27, 2017 10:52 am #

I think the guy who won the Boise GT had an illegal list…I think his commander was improperly armed. Unless I am reading it wrong its a either or, not both for the Relic Blade and Storm Shield on a Captain.

• Threllen June 27, 2017 12:44 pm #

I read it the same way. Which means it sounds like the top 3 lists were 3 for 3 on being illegal lists.

Top list had improper armaments on the Captain.
      Second list apparently did not have any troops in their patrol detachment (I can’t confirm personally because I can’t access the site it’s on but this is what I’m told).
      Third list used Guilliman as an HQ when he’s a LoW.

So much for GW trying to “simplify” list-building…

• Adam
        Adam (RUMBL & TheDiceAbide) June 27, 2017 2:20 pm #

The Harlequin list would be legal if you just moved one of the troops from the battalion to the Patrol Detachment. Could have just been a mistake in whoever typed up this version of the list, instead of him taking an illegal one. Either way, he can run that exact list legally.

The Battalion detachment for the third list was definitely missing the second HQ though.

• Threllen June 27, 2017 2:43 pm #

The harlie one makes sense then – like I said I just wasn’t able to see the list.

And I agree with your comment below that I don’t think the relic blade/SS error was really *that big* of a deal. Sure it was illegal but if he had replaced that relic blade with a power weapon or something I doubt it would have drastically changed the results.

But the third place guy was really the one who messed up. That huge omission gave him 5 more CP than he would have had playing that exact same list legally.

• Adam
      Adam (RUMBL & TheDiceAbide) June 27, 2017 2:15 pm #

I sincerely doubt the armament of that captain was really what won him the event. 😉