Friday Night Fight: Tyranids vs. Chaos

Tonight’s game is challenger James with his nasty Chaos flying circus vs. Reecius’ Tyranids as chosen by our Twitch subscribers! Join us for the live game tonight at 5pm PST.

Twitch Subscribers vote for Monday’s game, here!

Reecius is taking out a mixed Tyranids army with tools for everything and the hotly discussed Malanthrope model.

• 2,000pts
0 Biostatic Rattle 5 1 5
0 Adrenal Glands 5 1 5
Detachment 3 Command Points 0
0 0
Totals 95 1557 440 1997
Command Points: 7 Detachments: 2

James’ Chaos army features a variety of flying monsters, all of whom pack a punch!

• 2,000pts
  • Faction Keyword: Chaos
  • Detachments: 2
    • Battalion
    • Supreme Command
  • Command Points: 7

Battalion Detachment

• Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage
  • Fateweaver
  • Nurglings x 3
  • Nurglings x 3
  • Nurglings x 3
  • Daemonettes x 20

Supreme Command Detachment (Heretic Astartes)

• Daemon Prince: Malefic Talons
  • Daemon Prince: Malefic Talons
  • Daemon Prince: Malefic Talons
  • Daemon Prince: Malefic Talons
  • Daemon Prince: Malefic Talons

Who do you think will win? T.A.C. vs. Spam!

19 Responses to “Friday Night Fight: Tyranids vs. Chaos”

1. Hugz June 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Reece should remember his Stealers can buy scything talons for 0 points, useful for punching daemons.

Reecius June 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Assume free gear is included. I don’t write it to save space but you are very right, sir.

• Jural June 23, 2017 3:31 pm

lol- I guess they do actually have a point in the game! punching single wound T3 or less models without armor saves! You get to re-roll ones…

What a random bit of GW bookkeeping though…

2. Hemm June 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Seems weird that the flying demon list is not running the big boy Magnus when all those Demon princes could benefit from him. On a side note as its stand at the moment Fateweaver RAW is super bad as he doesn’t have the 4++ invul save that other Tzeentch demons have. I assume this is a mistake but it basically means that he is walking around naked.

• Jural June 23, 2017 3:37 pm

He definitely has his 5++ (All daemons have it, including Fateweaver), he just doesn’t have the ability that adds +1 to it.

Not clear if this is a typo or intentional, I would assume it’s a typo, but who the heck knows?

• Ty June 23, 2017 6:58 pm

It would make some sense in that his weakness is he’s blind to the present and therefore more vulnerable.

Reecius June 24, 2017 10:19 am

I think Fatey is meant to have Ephemoral Form. Probably a typo.

3. Eaux June 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Just a reminder for Reece: The Spore Mines Living Bombs rule states that mines created in matched play are FREE and don’t cost reinforcement points!

Reecius June 24, 2017 10:19 am

What makes you think they are free in matched play? I don’t see anything that states that.

Reecius June 24, 2017 10:36 am

Ah yes, I see it now under the Spore Mine entry on Pg. 103. Nice one!

4. The Traitor June 23, 2017 11:27 pm

I just ran a very similar list but with one less prince, Magnus, Be’Lakor instead of a Bloodthirsty and two disc heralds instead of troops, it was brutal and I tabled my opponent by turn 4.

Reecius June 24, 2017 10:21 am

So you had no troops at all? Sheesh, what was your opponent running? Did they have no screens at all? On paper, I don’t think I would have any issues with list at all (and that’s not a dig at your or you skill level, just that playing vs. those types of lists without a screen they tend to get rolled).

• The Traitor June 25, 2017 6:38 am

My opponent ran Typhus, a sorcerer, a warpsmith, 2×20 poxwalkers, 2×7 havocs with 4 missile launchers, a land raider, 2 units of raptors with plasma guns and 2 jump-pack lords with plasma pistols (I might be missing something but I think that was it). It is true that the list isn’t very good and my opponent didn’t play it very well as it was his second 8th ed game, but Magnus alone was able to chew through 20 poxwalkers and the land raider in only two turns, and I killed the other unit with Be’Lakor and two princes, who also killed a unit of havocs, Typhus, the warpsmith and the sorcerer… With 7 attacks hitting in both player turns and a lot of potential smites, they can deal with quite a lot of models. As for defensive capabilities he could only target Magnus, who got engaged turn 1; Kairos, to whom he didn’t pay too much attention; or the closest prince, as they’re below 10 wounds, so I simply had to put the princes with more wounds closer (very easy due to warptime), even though two DP died to missile launcher fire and another had two wounds left at the end.
        So, why do you see the list easily defeatable? I’m curious because a) I also tabled a primaris SM+IK list with something similar and didn’t see any weaknesses neither and b) I don’t think that two games is enough to prove anything, and I would like to improve the list ;)…

Reecius June 25, 2017 8:09 am

Yeah, and again, no dig on you or your list at all. It’s just that the smite spam character armies are good but not unbeatable at all. If your opponent used his screens and spacing correctly, you would not have been able to smite anything other than the Pox Walkers, leaving him to attack you with longer ranged fire.

If you charge the Pox Walkers, he should have fallen back from combat and then hit Magnus with his entire army, most likely destroying him. You don’t have to pile in or consolidate, either. SOunds like he tried to fight you with his screen units which is a mistake. He should have just walked out and lit you up with shooting.

• The Traitor June 25, 2017 8:41 am

Hmmm… I guess that the function of a screen is protecting your units, not engaging enemy ones… I guess he should have retired, but again, we’re still trying out everything. So you beleive that the chaos flying circus needs some troops to be effective? What would you recommend? Daemonettes seem to be very effective, and brimstone horrors really cheap, but I would like to keep mostly CSM units… Noise marines are pretty good at clearing hordes, but also fairly expensive…

5. Joshua June 25, 2017 12:32 am

I just finished watching the VoD and was thinking to myself that I need to pick up some Genestealers and s Broodlord. I was looking at the Broodlords entry and his Aura says he effects Genestealer units within 6″ of him. He has the keyword Genestealer and characters are always considered to be in range of their own auras. Am
    I missing something or does he actually have a +1 to hit from himself?

6. black mage June 25, 2017 11:08 am

he does

7. Siphen June 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Really enjoyed the game! One minor error that wouldn’t have changed anything – you were wounding all the Princes on 4’s with your Trygon. He actually got a strength buff from last edition and is Str 7 now, so you would only need 3’s. Even better at tearing apart monsters/vehicles.

Another tiny mistake – when the Exocrine moved, you were rolling for 4’s to hit. But I believe he would need 5’s if he moves (BS4 normally and firing a heavy weapon). What are your thoughts on the Exocrine in a TAC list? It doesn’t seem all that effective against vehicles and with such an insane penalty for moving (it’s 400% less effective!) the fast armies can really mitigate his damage. For his cost, do you think you’d rather have 19 more Genestealers?