Wednesday Night Fight: Necrons vs. Astra Militarum

By our Twitch subscriber’s vote, tonight’s game will be Necrons vs. Astra Militarum. Join us for the fun at 5pm PST, tonight!

The last time we played this match-up, we had a slightly different Necron list but they got seized on and trounced. Oof! But, Necron players have been writing in to FLG asking for some help so Reecius is busting out a list with some units he’s had a lot of success with. Also, this beautiful army was painted by the FLG paint Studio!

• 2,001 pts (I’m over a point)
  • Faction Keyword: Necrons
Heavy Destroyers Heavy 43 3 129 Heavy Gauss Cannon 32 3 96
Annihilation Barge Heavy 133 1 133 Tesla Cannon 13 1 13
Detachment 3 Command Points 0
0 0
Totals 56 1508 493 2001
Command Points: 7 Detachments: 2

Jason will be piloting almost the exact same army Reecius played vs. the Necrons last time. It features a ton of close ranged firepower in the mechanized Vets and assault vehicles backed up with a selection of artillery vehicles in the back.

• 1,999pts
0 Storm Bolter 2 1 2
Wyvern Heavy Support 85 1 85 H.Bolter 8 1 8
Manticore Heavy Support 125 1 125 H.Bolter 8 1 8
Bassilisk Heavy Support 100 1 100 H.Bolter 8 1 8
Totals 52 1446 553
Command Points: 6 Detachments: 3

Who do you think will come out on top in this battle?

72 Responses to “Wednesday Night Fight: Necrons vs. Astra Militarum”

1. Requizen
    Requizen June 21, 2017 11:20 am #

It’s an interesting list, but I don’t really see a way to pop those vehicles that easily. A big weakness for Crons right now, hopefully on Friday we’ll see some alternatives with the release of FW: Xenos.

On the other hand, I really like the AM list. I’ve been eyeing them up as a potential new army and something like this (with some slight tweaks) would be right up my alley. Fast stuff for midfield with enough backfield range to do major board control. I like it a lot!

Reecius June 21, 2017 11:42 am #

They can struggle with vehicles for sure. They rock infantry armies, though.

AM are bad ass. I have been having a ton of fun with them, personally. Very flexible army. The hotness right now is going all infantry but I have been having success and a lot of fun with mechanized armies.

• Requizen
        Requizen June 21, 2017 12:05 pm #

I like the Mechanized stuff. Blobs of dudes is good and all, but the mobility you get from putting them in vehicles or just from things like the Banewolf is really strong too. Suddenly you end up with a really fast, hard to kill army that can pump out damage and also play the objective game by popping down units later on.

Have you played with the Baneblade variants much? They look so powerful!

Reecius June 21, 2017 12:13 pm #

Exactly. And moving all those duders gets annoying. I don’t mind it with my Orks as they’re going to kick butt, but when it is big Conscript blobs that just stand and die, not my favorite.

And yes, tried all the Baneblade variants =) They’re good. My favorite is the Stormlord, though.

• marrlfox June 21, 2017 4:31 pm #

I’ve actually been enjoying Doom Scythes for necrons quite a bit. They are great at popping vehicles and can move so far that they can be a constant threat to the back line. They are a bit squishy for their points but can put a lot of hurt on a vehicle.

• Requizen
          Requizen June 21, 2017 7:28 pm #

I just dislike the random shots and then having to hit on 4s since it’s Heavy. For how much it costs it should be more reliable.

• abusepuppy June 22, 2017 7:51 am

It’s basically the same as a Night Scythe, just trading the “transport” ability for the Death Ray. I admit, I don’t like the fact that it’s hitting on 4s either, but it is at least a gun with very high stats.

• Requizen
            Requizen June 22, 2017 8:13 am

You’re trading the “transport” plus 50 points. For 20 less points, you can just get a DDArk, which has longer range, more wounds, and the pretty powerful QS.

• Chad June 21, 2017 1:40 pm #

I agree the Necron list still looks too light to bring down that many vehicles. It just seems that you need to be packing AP -1 minimum to start seeing armor save fails from the opponent.

I think I’d have chosen a Doomsday Ark over the Barge & maybe a Stalker or 2.

Protect those Hvy Destroyers!!! Go Necrons!!!

Reecius June 21, 2017 1:56 pm #

I played with Stalkers and the Doomsday Ark this weekend with a scarab screen to protect them and a spyder to fix them, worked very well.

2. Panzer1944 June 21, 2017 1:01 pm #

Used a ten man Bullgyn squad with Mauls and Brute Shields backed up with Yarrick on a release day tournament and man they do amazing things now a days. Took on a great unclean one and a chaos terminator squad at the same time and just muscled through them. Only on my last match against a Deathwatch player that got rid of their invul did my opponent really do big damage to them before I hit back to wipe out most of his squad.

Reecius June 21, 2017 1:57 pm #

Nice! I prefer the Slab Shields myself backed up by the Primaris as that combo is just magic, IMO. But I can totally see Yarrick running up with them working, too.

• David Hayden June 21, 2017 6:30 pm #

I am tempted to get some Bullgryns to go with my Tempestus army I’m assembling. There’s just so much cool stuff in the new edition!

Reecius June 22, 2017 8:18 am #

That is my feeling on it, too! Too much awesome stuff.

• David Hayden June 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Yep! Making lists is hard now because there are so many fun choices.

• PrimoFederalist June 21, 2017 3:20 pm #

I always thought it was a shame you couldn’t take shields with mauls – glad 8th fixed that! Will actually buy Orgyns…

3. El crumb June 21, 2017 2:15 pm #

I prefer multiple command Squads, with melters and plasma backed up by a Company Commander or a platoon Commander instead of veterans. Imo its cheaper than a full squad of vets and you get up to 4 special weapons.

Reecius June 21, 2017 2:17 pm #

It certainly is and you can put 3 in a Chimera.

But, I love my Veterans =)

• Joshua09 June 22, 2017 6:04 am #

I didn’t know that! Have you ever considered switching your vet flammer squad to 2 Command Squads with 2x HF’s and some additional flammers. It would get you a second HF.

Reecius June 22, 2017 8:19 am #

Yeah, you totally can do that. Or, two Special Weapons Squads for super cheap access to 6 flamers.

• Ty June 23, 2017 1:59 am #

What do you think about Vets compared to Scion squads?

4. Bellerah June 21, 2017 3:20 pm #

I am very curious how this turns out for the necrons. so much so i may actually watch the replay!! at 2001 points the necrons should be able to totally destroy the undermanned AM

Reecius June 22, 2017 8:55 am #

Lol, that extra point was used to crush the Imperium!

5. Beau June 21, 2017 5:31 pm #

So anyone have any input on my list of Overlord with warscythe, 60 flayed ones, transcendant c’taan, buncha crypteks? Hoping to have some good deep strike charges!

Reecius June 22, 2017 8:57 am #

Go with Imotekh, he buffs the Flayed ones.

But yes, that would work very well.

6. David Hayden June 21, 2017 6:32 pm #

I’m assembling a Tempestus force. Plasma/Melta Dudes and Primes. I’m going to add some conversion Rough Riders in with it. Everything moving fast or deep striking. The question is what things to bring for a little more variety. I’m leaning toward a Wyvern, a Basilisk, and a Hydra. I’m interested to see how those first two do.

Reecius June 22, 2017 8:57 am #

Hydra is a bit meh, but the Bassilisk and Wyvern are excellent. AM are very, very good in 8th ed.

• David Hayden June 22, 2017 5:11 pm #

Yeah, I realized late last night that the Taurox Prime, with the -1 to hit flyers, would be hitting just as well as the Hydra and have a ton more versatility. I like the idea of the Hydra, because a lot of people around here are excited about flyers, but it just doesn’t deliver enough.

• abusepuppy June 22, 2017 6:19 pm #

Notably, the Hydra’s bonus applies against any unit with the Fly keyword- which is all flyers, but also a lot of other units.

I don’t think it comes even close to bringing it on par with the Taurox, but it’s worth remembering.

• David Hayden June 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Good point. It would effectively be 3+ against Crisis Suits and the like. But the Taurox isn’t all that much expensive, I don’t think.

If they Hydra had +1 to hit Fly and ignored the hard to hit bonus Flyers get, then it would be very good.

7. Menosj June 21, 2017 7:01 pm #

Hey, don’t know if you’ll see this Reece, I posted a question on the stream and I think you think I was just whining about points, which I guess I kinda am but, the heavy rock cutter is melee S x2, ap -3, D 2, it also has the special rule in which it has the chance On a d6 to instantly slay a model this costs 23 points, the heavy rock saw has the exact same profile without the special rule and costs an extra point, costing 24 points. So the saw is strictly worse there is absolutely no reason to ever take a rock saw in matched play under any circumstance, I just thought this may have been an over sight.

Reecius June 22, 2017 8:59 am #

Sometimes the points for the various weapons in the game don’t seem to make sense (or they just don’t). I unfortunately do not always have an answer for things like this but I can bring attention to it.

That one is weird though, you are right.

• Jural June 22, 2017 9:25 am #

A lot of the Tyranid tail weapons strike me as oddly costed too. But it’s 8 points vs. 12, or whatever… more of a meh than a wtf…

8. TheMostGood June 21, 2017 7:37 pm #

Perhaps it was posted somewhere and I missed it but:

“When should we expect to see an ITC FAQ for 8th?”

Granted, I don’t know how much of an FAQ anyone will be doing since GW is apparently attempting to stay on top of rules being OP/Confusing/Underpowered.

One thing I would like to see is a list of rules you guys will be using from the “Advanced Rules” section of the BRB. My group of gaming friends turn to the ITC as our unofficial official FAQ in those matters as well!

Thanks for the good work and fun matches!

Reecius June 22, 2017 9:00 am #

We will have ITC info updated by end of day, today! And I think we can trust GW to FAQ stuff these days =)

As for guidelines on ITC format yeah, expect that very soon.

9. El Crumb June 22, 2017 12:24 am #

Do you guys know if Pask can give orders to his own tank ?

• Fluger June 22, 2017 5:30 am #

Can’t issue orders to character tanks.

• abusepuppy June 22, 2017 7:50 am #

Pask is specifically allowed to do so.

Reecius June 22, 2017 8:29 am #

Yes, he can give orders to other command tanks and himself.

• El Crumb June 22, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks for the info !

10. Glocknal June 22, 2017 4:54 am #

Reece what were the models you used for the rough riders? Hard to tell through the primer.

Reecius June 22, 2017 8:29 am #

Marauder Horsemen mixed with Catachans! They look great.

11. Lorenzo June 22, 2017 5:03 am #

Quick rules question: do named characters have to pay the points for their wargear, where applicable?

Does Dante, for example, have to pay the points for his death mask and inferno pistol?

• Threllen June 22, 2017 6:44 am #

In the back of the index there are two sections for unit points costs. One says “does not include wargear” which is your general units. the other says “includes wargear.” Generally that second section is where you find your named/unique HQs.

Reecius June 22, 2017 8:29 am #

No they don’t.

12. Castle June 22, 2017 7:11 am #

I think 448pts in HQ is a little much for the necrons. Don’t think they do enough to justify being a quarter of the list.

Also tell frankie to drop the staff of light on the destroyer lord for a warscythe. It’ll get him under 2000 and the D.Lord can be a better threat to vehicles.

• Glocknal June 22, 2017 8:41 am #

Frankie’s list was way too top heavy in HQs and severely lacked mobility. After the seize Reece was able to dictate where fights took place and how. After the Flayed ones failed to kill the artillery it was basically over as Reece could play the long/short game using his range advantage.

Reecius June 22, 2017 9:21 am #

Yeah, Frankie was using way too many HQs, I agree. I think the key in 8th is to use the least amount of buffing characters as you can get away with.

• Jural June 22, 2017 9:28 am #

One interesting thing in this edition is how much of an HQ tax you end up with for many of the detachments. The multiple Lord of War detachments requires I think 3 HQs?

If you have an army without decent or cheap HQs in this edition, you will suffer.

Reecius June 22, 2017 11:03 am

LoW detachment requires no HQs.

• Jural June 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Oh- that’s good! For some reason I was reading that page as the Supreme Command Detachment unlocking the other detachments.

Looks like 3 Harridans will be legal!

Reecius June 22, 2017 9:20 am #

The D.Lord typically runs with the Praetorians and the Staff of Light compliments the Rod of Covenant well and he can keep up. Plus, he’s got the Res orb which can boost them up significantly if they take heavy casualties (which they tend to).

Is this game I had him run around with the Heavy Destroyers though as that was more beneficial.

• Pyrothem June 24, 2017 10:38 am #

He can’t use the Rez orb on Praetorians…. they don’t have a Dynasty key word at all so no rez or Cryptek buff. Maybe it is a typo? But as it stands they are not able to be buffed by anything that needs Dynasty.

Are there any Space Marines that have no option to take a Chapter?

Reecius June 24, 2017 10:59 am #

Hmm, interesting. By that reading a Spyder would also not be able to repair a Stalker, either…

• Pyrothem June 24, 2017 11:45 am

That and the HQ you took Anrakyr the Trailer too so he could not take ANY transport….

Reecius June 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Yeah, that one is a bit odd, isn’t it? I mean, I never put him in a transport but the point stands.

• Pyrothem June 24, 2017 1:37 pm

For being dubbed The Traviler it is kind of odd to see him shuffle at a sad 5″. :p

I hope we get some eratta and not have to wait for a year + for a codex to fix it. Crossing my fingers.

Reecius June 24, 2017 4:19 pm

lol, good point. But, being so long lived, I guess he can afford to move at a slow roll!

• Pyrothem June 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Well I guess if the ruling stands I could remodel him with a old man cain yelling at those White Scar punk kids to get off his lawn! 😀

“Those Bikes are louder then needed for efficient gains! They are a menace… This used to be a NICE neighborhood!”

• Ty June 25, 2017 8:37 am

At the same time I don’t know if you want Straken working on Bullgryn (Not that I would complain mind you).

Though with Necrons they seem to use “” in a lot of spots where you’d like they’d use “Necron”. The Spyder being the obvious example. Why isn’t is “Necron Vehicle”?

• WestRider June 24, 2017 5:57 pm #

Fluff-wise, the Praetorians do stand outside the whole Dynasty system. They serve as much to keep Dynasties in line with the Silent King’s plans as to aid individual Dynasties in their wars. It really wouldn’t surprise me if they were intentionally left without a Dynasty Keyword.

13. Jural June 22, 2017 9:28 am #

Dumb question- and not in the right section? But will the FW IA Indexes be available digitally?

• Turok117 June 22, 2017 11:08 am #

Sure are. The Xenos one is available for download tomorrow.

Reecius June 22, 2017 11:10 am #

Indeed it is.

• Lockinfinity June 22, 2017 1:12 pm #

Are you guys streaming a game tongiht?

• Turok117 June 22, 2017 1:16 pm #

If the Inferno Lances on the Wraithknight have the same number of shots as they do now I don’t see the point in taking the Heavy Wraithcannons unless the Skathach is significantly more points. Really wish they had differentiated what D weapons became a little more.

Reecius June 24, 2017 10:57 am

The Inferno Lances are pretty dang solid, yes.

• Jural June 22, 2017 2:49 pm #

Thanks!

14. skoffs June 23, 2017 9:06 pm #

Might be a little late to the party here, but I was watching the replay and noticed Reecius’ Lychguard appeared to come back with full wounds instead of just a single wound each (1:49:10 mark). Would we be correct in assuming that is the way RP is supposed to work? (there’s a bit of a heated debate about the subject right now on certain forums and was hoping one of the more experienced 8th testers might be able to shed some light on it).

• abusepuppy June 23, 2017 10:53 pm #

Is there any reason at all to think they wouldn’t come back with full wounds?

• skoffs June 23, 2017 11:00 pm #

I would have assumed that was the way it was played, but apparently the GW guys had streamed a game where some Destroyers came back with only a single wound so people are claiming it as evidence that that’s how the rule is supposed to be played (the problem is the actual rule as written for RP doesn’t say anything about how many wounds a model is supposed to come back with, as opposed to something like Celestine’s which does say how many she comes back with. Like I said, most people would assume they’re supposed to come back with full wounds, but to prevent people from complaining about it further an official FAQ clarification would be best).

Reecius June 24, 2017 6:03 am #

They come back with full wounds.