Tuesday Night Fight: T’au vs. Space Marines!

We’ve got another live game for you tonight! T’au vs. Space Marines per our Twitch Subscribers’ votes. Tune in tonight at 5pm PST to catch the fun!

Twitch Subscriber poll for tomorrow’s game: Necrons vs. Who?

Reecius’ takes the T’au out for a spin with a list featuring a lot of mobility and firepower.

• 2,000pts
Longstrike 2x gun drones, Railgun 1
Elites
Crisis Battlesuits 6x Missile Pod, 3x Flamer, 4x Marker Drones 3
Crisis Battlesuits 6x Missile Pod, 3x Flamer, 4x Marker Drones 3
Crisis Battlesuits 6x Missile Pod, 3x Flamer, 2x Marker Drones 3
Totals 29

Pablo apparently emptied out the motor pool for tonight’s game and brought a very interesting Space Marines mechanized army!

• 2,000pts
  • Faction Keyword: Space Marines
  • Detachments: 2
    • Spearhead
    • Spearhead
  • Command Points: 7
Spearhead Detachment (1 CP)
  • – Marneus Calgar (2 CP)
  • – Predator: Lascannons, Twin Lascannon, Storm Bolter
  • – Predator: Lascannons, Twin Lascannon, Storm Bolter
  • – Predator: Heavy Bolters, Predator Autocannon, Storm Bolter
Spearhead Detachment (1 CP)
  • – Chronus
  • – Land Raider Crusader: Twin Assault Cannon, Hurricane Bolters (Chronus Mobile)
  • – Land Raider: 2x Twin Lascannons, Twin Heavy Bolter
  • – Land Raider: 2x Twin Lascannons, Twin Heavy Bolter

An interesting match-up! Who do you think will win?

44 Responses to “Tuesday Night Fight: T’au vs. Space Marines!”

1. Lockinfinity June 20, 2017 10:58 am #

He has only 8 models. Can marneus calgar pick up the relic?

• Cephalobeard June 20, 2017 11:36 am #

I believe any can.

• Cephalobeard June 20, 2017 11:37 am #

Not sure why my other post came out weird. Anything tagged as infantry should be able to hold it, yes.

Reecius June 20, 2017 11:42 am #

He is the ONLY model in that army that can pick up the relic =P

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab June 20, 2017 12:52 pm #

7.5 Models. Chronus barely counts. Though when his raider does die he is also a model that can pick up the relic if he needs to.

Another note: I had no idea what I was playing until I built the list lol.

2. Requizen
    Requizen June 20, 2017 12:48 pm #

But but the internet told me that Tau were unplayable in this edition! There’s no reason to even take them off the shelf!

πŸ˜€

3. Alexander June 20, 2017 1:30 pm #

Reece focus on his land raiders first he does have the advantage of wounds and toughness the missile suits should be in terrain to get some cover laz cannons are only -3 in cover you get a 5+ against a las cannon I wish you brought drones with the suits so you would be able to put the wounds on them

4. Adam Vollrath June 20, 2017 1:33 pm #

I’m easily imagining the crisis suits running up and tagging those vehicles so they can’t shoot.

5. abusepuppy June 20, 2017 4:04 pm #

Not ATS on any of the Tau suits? Longstrike with no Hammerhead friends?

For the greater bad, my friends.

• Heldericht June 20, 2017 4:44 pm #

More weps is generally better than ATS and Hammerheads are meh after moving. No point investing in them. It’s all about suits and commanders.

• abusepuppy June 20, 2017 10:47 pm #

The fourth Missile Pod/Cyclic Ion has a significantly decreased marginal utility- point for point, the ATS scores about as well against most all targets and keeps the cost of Commanders from inflating too badly.

Hammerheads don’t need to move a lot, and with Longstrike around they’re hitting on 3+s even after moving (presuming you don’t have 3+ ML hits on the target, which honestly you probably should be trying for.)

Reecius June 21, 2017 12:06 pm #

Oh, I am sure I didn’t take an optimal T’au list or whatever. I barely every play them. Frankie is much more experienced with them than I.

6. Heldericht June 20, 2017 6:16 pm #

Reece, I appreciate the Tau batrep. Thank you for the stream.

In the game you said playing to the mission would be fine (if it wasnt killpoints)

But Tau got nearly tabled by turn 4. How can you play to the mission if one cant kill them and just die?

Agreed about mixing weps though, need some fusion or cib in there.

Reecius June 21, 2017 12:08 pm #

Yeah, had I not gone head to head with Pablo I could have easily avoided him and gone for objectives as I outnumber him by a ton.

Yeah, I am sure that list wasn’t optimal by any stretch of the imagination.

7. Matt June 20, 2017 11:40 pm #

“I always tested against them” – was this game actually one of your first 8th ed games playing as Tau?

Reecius June 21, 2017 12:04 pm #

Yup. Frankie was the T’au player.

8. zyekian June 21, 2017 2:32 am #

The video isn’t loading for me for some reason. How did this play out?

Reecius June 21, 2017 6:28 am #

We rolled up Kill Points so it went about as expected. T’au got mulched pretty hard, took out half the other army in the process.

9. zyekian June 21, 2017 2:46 am #

Nevermind, it works now.

This game sort of illustrates what we’ve been seeing in a lot of these matchups where one person brings three or more knights, Baneblades, LRs, etc. They automatically get first turn and then use it to kill whatever can effectively threaten large-wound powerful units. LOS blocking terrain only helps so much.

Then the bottom of turn one comes and the player has no hope of doing much damage for the rest of the game.

You can say “play to the mission” but the fact is when a bunch of Land Raiders/etc can split fire they can kill your whole army. Playing to the mission to counter these kinds of lists isn’t nearly as doable as it was in 7th.

• Maxwell June 21, 2017 2:55 am #

Too bad the Low model count tau army is now “meh” and overpriced.

Reecius June 21, 2017 6:27 am #

It’s not meh at all, honestly. That was just a wonky game with an extreme list it wasn’t equipped to fight in a mission that really hurt it.

• Maxwell June 21, 2017 6:44 am #

Maybe I’m wrong but I was thinking that the SM list vs any “big unit” list Tau could bring would be rough. Those vehicles seem to have better stats all around vs suits. Not necessarily that the SM list was “unbeatable” or anything.

What is it Tau get now in place of the -1 BS compared to most other models?

Reecius June 21, 2017 12:05 pm

The Marine is not unbeatable at all. I probably made a lot of mistakes, too, honestly.

• Heldericht June 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Maxwell is talking about Monster mash Tau being gutted.

Reecius June 21, 2017 6:28 am #

Yeah, which is why the auto go-fist mechanic is not so awesome. And we’ve found the 3+ LoW can result in lopsided games, too.

• Jural June 21, 2017 2:24 pm #

it took me three reads to understand you weren’t talking about powerfists, lol!

Need caffeine.

10. Colin Sherlow June 21, 2017 4:52 am #

I would love to see an 8th edition breakdown of things you need to know about 8th from FLG.

And some force organization stuff πŸ˜‰

11. ChosenOfKhorne June 21, 2017 6:21 am #

Ever since you had mentioned some of the melee strategies in one of your prior games, I have been wondering if choosing not to rebase your marines is now actually modeling for advantage.

Given that all the melee ranges are based on being 1 inch (25.4 mm) from opposing models or 1 inch from another model in the unit engaged in combat, the difference between 25 mm and 32 mm bases seems significant. The 25 mm bases allow independent characters to fight from the second rank and troops to fight in 3 ranks if all are base to base with the enemy and each other. The 32 mm bases don’t allow this. Since 25 mm is less than 1 inch (25.4mm), and 32 mm is greater, this seems to be an significant advantage to being modeled on the smaller bases. This might be an intended advantage of ork hoards, tyranids, etc., that the old base size deprives them of.

Thoughts?

• Venkarel June 21, 2017 10:34 am #

I use old bases as that is what I have. I tell anyone who complains that if you buy them, paint and customize each base to match my army, and take my models and carefully and artfully attach them to the new bases, I will then play on the new bases.

• ChosenOfKhorne June 21, 2017 12:02 pm #

There are several base adapters that your current bases set or fit right into and don’t be require rebasing at all. Not very expensive either.

In casual play, you can agree with your playing partner to do what you want. In a tournament, I think the opponent would be within his rights to make your bases at least count as more than an inch wide,even though they aren’t, because it matters so much more in the new rule set.

P.s. I have all my terminators on 25 mm bases still, does that mean they are still ok to use? In the past, the 3″ rule was more forgiving with changes in base size, but the new rules make it a bigger deal.

• ChosenOfKhorne June 21, 2017 1:04 pm #

I meant the 3″ pile in and the fighting within 2″ of a friendly engaged model made differing model sizes more forgiving. But now a character can’t engage in melee from the second rank behind 32 mm bases, but can with 25 mm bases.

Reecius June 21, 2017 12:09 pm #

You can also simply play them as being more than 1″ in diameter. Easy fix to avoid swinging through models in combat.

12. Threllen June 21, 2017 6:34 am #

Ouch… a bunch of suits full of missile pods and flamers going against a list that just features tough vehicles. I can already tell that wouldn’t go well for Tau.

Reecius June 21, 2017 12:10 pm #

Nope, it sure didn’t, lol. We wrote our lists blind so this was a bit of a random miss match and a bad mission, too (kill points). But, these things happen.

13. Khezden June 21, 2017 8:31 am #

Hey Reece,

I believe you mentioned during the stream that a player _couldn’t_ spend a CP to re-roll to seize.

In the iPad version of the rules (p. 361) it says you can spend CP before or during a battle on stratagems.

Did I hear you wrong or am I missing something?

Thanks for all the hard work on the streams.

Reecius June 21, 2017 12:12 pm #

RAW you can but stratagems that can be used before the game tell you so explicitly.

• abusepuppy June 21, 2017 9:42 pm #

I feel like this is definitely something that needs to be in an FAQ (along with many of the other issues), otherwise there is going to be some unpleasantness at the BAO.

14. Lardus June 21, 2017 1:38 pm #

Was an interesting watch. Saw in a 50power level game I could take Godhammer Landraider and 2 DreadKnights with an HQ…will give it a try after seeing this πŸ™‚

Reecius June 21, 2017 1:56 pm #

Yeah, bad mission =( And please excuse my terrible T’au skills, lol.

• TheMostGood June 21, 2017 7:34 pm #

You did well for learning an entirely new edition and then playing nearly every army while still being expected to answer questions, explain what is happening, and still help your opponent. πŸ˜›