Chapter Tactics #32: Building a List for Matched Play and the Meta

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today PeteyPab dives into the depths of competitive list building in 8th edition and explains the new list building process for newer players.

QOTD: How many command points do you have in your new 8th edition lists?

Show Notes:

• Chapter Tactics is back! With Weekly episodes and a lot of tactical insight, this is your place for all things 40k in 8th edition.
  • Check out the last episode of Chapter Tactics here. Or, click here for a link to a full archive of all of my episodes.
  • Want more tactical information about the new edition? Check out our 8th Edition article archive to help get a leg up on the competition!
  • If you want to skip to the list building tactics content skip to 23:00 in the audio below.

SoCalOpenSlider

Iron Halo

Have you purchased your Iron Halo tickets yet? If you haven’t go buy them now and come say hi to me! I plan on Facebook livestreaming games, and covering the entire event. Email me if you would like to be on the stream.

got a list

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then email me at…

frontlinegamingpeteypab@gmail.com
Please do not send an army list in a format such as Army Builder, send them in an easy to read, typed format. Thanks!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

14 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #32: Building a List for Matched Play and the Meta”

1. Wigglefish June 18, 2017 7:17 am #

Hey Petey, you mention at the beginning of the podcast that units in a detachment must share all of the same faction keywords as the other units in the detachment. However the rule on page 240 indicates that only one faction needs to be shared. In fact the example is of a Space Marine with Imperium and Adeptus Astartes, and it says all of the units in the detachment must be from either Imperium or Adeptus Astartes, not both.

Reecius June 18, 2017 7:22 am #

Your entire army has to share 1 faction keyword in common. In the example they give, it would be Imperium. It is in the Battle-forged armies section.

2. Peteypab June 18, 2017 7:24 am #

As I explained in the podcast immediately after that, I said your entire army had to share a keyword.

• Wigglefish June 18, 2017 8:52 am #

Yes, I was referring to the detachments, not the army. Maybe what you said was just unclear, but it seemed like you were saying you couldn’t have Ultramarines and Imperial Guard etc in the same detachment. Of course you can have them in the same army.

Also you mention you can spend 2 CP to charge after the enemy charges, when what you meant was fight after the enemy fights. I don’t mean to nitpick, i just assume you want mistakes like these pointed out.

• OHMSS June 20, 2017 7:56 am #

You’re correct here. He mentioned that every unit in the detachment must have all the same SET of faction keywords but the rules clearly state that all units in a detachment can share only ONE faction keyword. The way he mentions it implies that you couldn’t take Imperial Guard units in the same detachment as Adeptus Astartes, but you definitely can based on the rule section you pointed out.

3. Stilgar June 18, 2017 10:04 am #

I was a little sad to hear you say that Space Wolves are…okay. What makes you have that opinion and what do you think their competitive build looks like? I’ve been looking at the out rider detachment with TWC, skyclaws, wulfen and Arjac.

4. Kartr_Kana June 18, 2017 12:52 pm #

Petey you say “pick models you like and play them,” and you tell us “you’ve got to get rid of your Tacticals and Razorbacks.” What happens if the models you like ARE Tacticals in Rhinos/Razorbacks? Run Tacticals as Sternguard?

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab June 18, 2017 3:15 pm #

If the only models you like in the space marine faction are tacticals and razorbacks then you peaked in 7th edition anyways.

Seriously, then go ahead and run them. Like I mentioned at the end of podcast, the lists you build now may not be viable later on in the year. There is no way GWis leaving the game with just bland indexes for the whole edition.

• Kartr_Kana June 19, 2017 8:41 am #

Lol I hope I didn’t peak in 7th, that was my first edition! :p

5. Adam Vollrath June 19, 2017 10:05 am #

Any chance you can get Brandon Grant back on this podcast?

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab June 19, 2017 10:55 am #

I’ll ask him, though he has been really busy lately.

6. Funblade June 20, 2017 8:53 pm #

So are Tactical Marines bad now? I enjoyed the battle company set up, which had a good backbone of tac marines supported by a small amount of devastators and assault marines. Is such an army viable anymore?

And if not, at the very least, are tactical marines viable? I like using tac marines in rhinos/razorbacks, but it seems like this isn’t a very solid option in 8th.

7. Dakkath June 21, 2017 12:39 am #

QOTD: +2 from taking 2 vanguard detachments. So, 5 total? If I can use crisis as troops by going farsight enclaves then I can make that 3 by using a battalion instead.

8. Grunt June 23, 2017 6:51 am #

How does Roboute Guilliman affect the knights for rerolls?