Friday Night Fight: Eldar vs. Space Wolves

Our Twitch Subscribers voted last night for tonight’s game to feature Eldar (specifically a Wraith construct army) vs. Space Wolves. Tune in tonight at 5pm PST at our Twitch channel to join the fun!

Per request, Reecius will bust out an Eldar wraith army to see how they fare in this edition. Wow, that is a low model count! Can they toughness of the Wraith units overcome their teeny, tiny army size?

• 2,000pts
Aeldari Missile Launcher 1
Flamer 2
Super Heavy  Command Points  0
Wraithknight LoW 1 Suncannon 1
Scattershield 1
Starcannon 2

Frankie’s going for a balls to the wall Space Wolves army with tons of aggressive units backed up by a pair of Predator Annihilators.

• 2,000pts
  • Faction Keyword: Space Wolves
  • Detachments: 2
    • Outrider Detachment x 2
  • Command Points: 5
Canis Wolfborn 1
Wolf Priest on Bike 1 Twin Boltgun 1
Fenrisian Wolves 6
Fenrisian Wolves 15
Fenrisian Wolves 15
Thunderwolf Calvary 6 Storm Shield x 3 3 Wolf Claw x 9
Wolf Guard In Terminator Armour 5 Storm Shield and Wolf Claw 2 Combi Melta x3 and Wolf Claw x3
LandSpeeder 1 Heavy Flamer 2
LandSpeeder 1 Heavy Flamer 2
LandSpeeder 1 Heavy Flamer 2
Predator 1 Twin Lascannon 1 Lascannon x 2
Predator 1 Twin Lascannon 1 Lascannon x 2

Who do you think will win?

41 Responses to “Friday Night Fight: Eldar vs. Space Wolves”

1. Panzer1944 June 9, 2017 9:31 am #

Happy to see Canis being thrown down. Definitely not as much as a glass cannon as he has been in the past. Really wanted to see Logan on his sled. Want to see him worth being put on the tabletop again and not just having my model sit around collecting dust until its time to take some Christmas Card photos.

Reecius June 9, 2017 9:38 am #

Yeah, Canis and his wolf buddies are quite good. Santa Logan is quite good, too. This will be an interesting fight!

2. Venkarel June 9, 2017 10:05 am #

Wraithguard are troops? I thought they were elite.

Reecius June 9, 2017 11:36 am #

They are, I 100% brain farted. Nice catch.

• Venkarel June 9, 2017 11:44 am #

Hmmm methinks you have been playtesting an eldar codex detachment, maybe?? That has wraitguard troops, maybe???

Reecius June 9, 2017 2:28 pm #

Haha, nope, just goofed =P

• Cephalobeard June 9, 2017 2:20 pm #

We getting an “unbound” game tonight or is the list changing? Lol

Reecius June 9, 2017 2:58 pm #

No, I just have a Vanguard detachment instead of a Battalion. Less CP’s is all.

• AbusePuppy June 11, 2017 6:15 pm #

I was gonna say, like, “Wait you can get WG as troops how did I not see this?!?” Glad I read the comments first.

(Note that he is using the Vanguard detachment, which does essentially make them “troops” since it’s mandatory EL slots and optional TR. So yeah, just a typing mistake, not actually cheatzors.)

• Venkarel June 12, 2017 4:52 am #

Note he changed it to a vanguard after noticing they were not troops.

Reecius June 12, 2017 7:40 am #

Yeah, I mean, I KNEW they weren’t but just totally spaced on that, lol.

3. Stilgar June 9, 2017 10:15 am #

Fenrising wolves seem so fragile in thEurope current state. They’re effective for screening but somewhat pricy for that role. Canis has some real utility now and does some interesting things for wolves. It’s interesting to see that there aren’t any grey hunters or blood claws in the list. The speeders are great though but, again, super expensive. This should be a fun fight. I love me some Space Wolves!

Reecius June 9, 2017 11:42 am #

The Land Speeders with double flamers are MEAN. So flipping good.

But yes, this will be a fun game!

4. Duh_Ruckus June 9, 2017 12:50 pm #

This season I am going all out ginger blood claws, Wulfen and long fangs…. it’s great seeing multiple builds peaking through with space wolves now… Lukas the trickster and ulrik are the space buddy cop movie of 8th

Reecius June 9, 2017 2:59 pm #

Yeah, Wolves have lots of options.

5. PrimoFederalist June 9, 2017 1:22 pm #

A SW list with no Grey Hunters or Blood Claws? *sigh* I wish I could go back in time to warn the teenage me when the 3rd edition codex came out that the awesome Viking Space Marines centered around quality infantry would be transformed into a ridiculous “Wolves riding wolves” one-trick pony. If SW are still Codex (Index): Thunderwolves in 8th I’m going to sell them off and focus on my IG. Hopefully that’s not the case!

• Duh_Ruckus June 9, 2017 1:49 pm #

Blood claws, are crazy good in 8th … same with swift claws… imo Thunderwolves aren’t worth the price of admission now

Reecius June 9, 2017 2:59 pm #

T-WOlves ramp up with buffs =)

But yes, Blood Claws and Sky Claws are the business. I like Grey Hunters a lot, too.

• white925 June 9, 2017 1:54 pm #

Infantry Space Wolves is really strong as well. Blood Claws are pretty good.

• Duh_Ruckus June 9, 2017 2:17 pm #

Space wolves dreads …. well venerables blizzard shields and Bjorn are super good as well

6. Venkarel June 9, 2017 1:41 pm #

Can Eldar with battle focus shoot after falling back? At first I thought not, now I am not so sure.
    Falling Back says have to choose to remain stationary or Fall Back. If choose to Fall Back, the unit must end its move more than 1″ away from enemy units. If unit falls Back it cannot advance, charge. Cannot shoot unless you have fly.
    Battle Focus says: This unit can shoot in the Shooting phase as if it hasn’t moved or advanced (with exception of Heavy weapons).

In the same vein can Warp Spiders shoot after falling back? Same rules as above plus they gain fly for the movement phase if they want.

Reecius June 9, 2017 3:04 pm #

Battle Focus doesn’t allow you to shoot after Falling Back, no.

Which this rule pops up it specifically says you may shoot after falling back.

• Venkarel June 9, 2017 4:39 pm #

But if I treat myself as if I did not move I did really fall back as stationary (i.e. not moving) is a legal choice and you can shoot if you choose stationary and the unit your are fighting leaves the engagement (say through a ynnari power). But I can see the argument the other way as not being able to shoot was my first impression.

How about warp spiders they have fly in the movement phase when they move can they shoot in the shooting phase?

• Venkarel June 9, 2017 4:42 pm #

Here it is with punctuation, wish I could edit. But if I treat myself as if I did not move, did I really Fall Back? As stationary (i.e. not moving) is a legal choice. You can shoot if you choose stationary and the unit your are fighting leaves the engagement (say through a ynnari power). But I can see the argument the other way, as not being able to shoot was my first impression.

How about warp spiders, they have fly in the movement phase when they move, can they shoot in the shooting phase?

Reecius June 9, 2017 8:31 pm

I see your point, but the rules specify what you can do, they do not insinuate. It’s a permissive rule set, and if it does not state you can shoot after falling back, you cannot. As stated, when that rule pops up (as with wraithguard) it is very specific.

• AbusePuppy June 11, 2017 6:17 pm #

You are treated as not moving, but that doesn’t mean you are treated as not Falling Back.

• Venkarel June 12, 2017 9:43 am

Yeah that is the stickler, can I fall back and not “move”? Like I said at first thought not, but the language is sorta unclear so maybe, but ultimately I think you cannot.

How about Warp Spiders, they actually have fly when they fall back in the movement phase can they then shoot in the shooting phase?

Reecius June 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Yes, if you have the Fly keyword you can fall back and still shoot. It’s a very powerful rule.

• Venkarel June 13, 2017 7:33 am

let me explain myself better. Warp Spiders if they use a warp jump generator gain the fly ability only for the movement phase,.If they fall back (when they have fly) can they still shoot in the shooting phase, even though they no longer have the fly? Of coarse, you can shoot if you have Fly all the time, but can you shoot if you only had fly in the movement phase but not in the shooting phase in the player turn you actually fell back? I think you can but at first glance Goatboy thought not, so I thought I would check.

7. Axientar June 9, 2017 2:11 pm #

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I checked the numbers 5 or 6 times and the Eldar army keeps coming out to 2,015 points…

Please don’t post points until release date. -Editor

Can someone show me where I made a mistake?

Reecius June 9, 2017 3:02 pm #

I am coming in under points but can recheck.

8. Kaughnor June 9, 2017 2:34 pm #

Awesome! Really looking forward to this one.

9. Cephalobeard June 10, 2017 5:31 am #

Really enjoyed this game!

10. Saieden June 11, 2017 10:33 am #

Hey guys, with the Farseer Skyrunner being so close to Eldrad in points, wouldn’t it generally be more useful to have him instead in almost any foot list? At the cost of mobility, he’s just better in every other way. Access to all the powers every game, better at casting them, 3++ and better in melee against low T and good armor.

Reecius June 11, 2017 11:08 am #

Yeah, he is better, IMO. You don’t need the speed of the Bike for reasons you pointed out.

• AbusePuppy June 11, 2017 6:18 pm #

Mmmmm. I think mobility is still really good this edition; whether or not it’s enough better is hard to say, but I don’t think that Eldrad is an auto-take over the Skyrunner.

11. Xasz June 12, 2017 9:10 am #

TWC cannot take double claws anymore because the bolt pistol can only be changed for a shield, boltgun or plaspistol.

Or I’m reading the list wrong.

Reecius June 12, 2017 9:14 am #

The intent I believe is to simply buy the pair of Claws as it is listed in the melee weapons section as a single entry.

• Xasz June 12, 2017 9:52 am #

That was my first thought as well, but then you would keep the boltpistol and could even switch that for a shield.

In case of khorne zerkers it is stated that both weapons could be switched for a claw (or something from the weapon list), which is sadly missing for TWC.

Reecius June 12, 2017 8:24 pm #

Ah, good point. I will see if that was a typo.