40k 8th Ed Battle Report Ultramarines vs. Tyranids

Tonight Reece and PeteyPab duke it out in a classic matchup with a new twist. Tune in to watch Guilliman and his boys in blue fight off a Tyranid invasion. Join us at 5pm PST on our Twitch channel for the fun!

Are you a subscriber to our Twitch Channel? Vote on tomorrow’s match-up, here!

Reecius is busting out some Nids! This isn’t a hard core list but meant to show off many of the cool things Nids can do.

• 2,000pts
Termagants Troops 30 Devourers 10
Tyranid Warriors Troops 3 Deathspitter 2
Barbed Strangler 1
Boneswords 3
Rippers Troops 4
Command Points 9

Next up, Pablo’s Ultramarines led by Bobby G. himself! Pablo feels this is a potential tournament army, so let’s see what it can do!

• 2,000pts
  • Faction Keyword: Imperium
  • Detachments: 3
    • Super Heavy Auxiliary
    • Spearhead
    • Vanguard
  • Command Points: 8

Lord of War Detachment (Imperium Faction)

– Guilliman
Vanguard Detachment (Imperium Faction)
– Captain: Jump Pack, Power Sword, Master Crafted Bolter
– Sternguard: 2x Heavy Flamers, Power Fist, 3x Special Bolters
– Drop Pod: Storm Bolter
– Company Veteran Squad: 4x Bikes, 4x Grav, 4x Storm Shields
– Apothecary: Bike
– Callidus Assassin
– Scouts: 8x Models, 8x Combat Knives
Spearhead Detachment (Imperium Faction)
– Captain: Jump Pack, Power Sword, Master Crafted Bolter
– Devastator Squad: 2x Missile Launchers, 2x Lascannons, Cherub
– Devastator Squad: 2x Missile Launchers, 2x Lascannons, Cherub
– Devastator Squad: 2x Missile Launchers, 2x Lascannons, Cherub, +5 Marines

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

50 Responses to “40k 8th Ed Battle Report Ultramarines vs. Tyranids”

1. Cephalobeard June 8, 2017 11:02 am #

Reece better bring his A-Game is he’s up against the strongest Mustache in the game.

• LordDrakonus June 8, 2017 11:20 am #

Interesting list Petey, you also have 3 more command points from Guilliman! As a fellow ultramarine I’m interested to see how it works! This is my current 2k list would love your thoughts on it!

Battalion/Super Heavy Aux Detachments

1 Bolter 0
      4 Las Cannon 100
      Total 165

1997

• Petey Pab
        Petey Pab June 8, 2017 3:32 pm #

Hey man! Solid list! This list is not as optimized as my tournament list (I still have some modeling and painting to do) your list is definitely better. I see we both see the amazingness that is the Company Ancient. I would say you don’t need Tiggy personally. I just am not a fan of any non-deep striking libbys, or drop pods. He is solid though if you want to make the most use of Guilliman.

• LordDrakonus June 8, 2017 7:25 pm #

Decided to see if I could make mech and Guilliman work.

Ok I think I figured some mech options, pretty standard for me start with Guilliman but now add in 6 razorback with twin assault cannons for some turn one metal box protection(and 72 str 6 ap-1 dmg 1 shots) and we have msu mech born again!
          Battalion/Super Heavy Aux Detachments
          Cherub 5
          4 Grav Cannon 112
          Razorback with Twin Assault Cannon 98
          Total 280
          1993

Reecius June 8, 2017 11:42 am #

lolol. Better put on my shortest shorts!

• Cephalobeard June 8, 2017 12:11 pm #

Assless. Beat him down with intimidation!

2. ReservedOptimism June 8, 2017 11:55 am #

Im sort of confused by Reece’s list formatting so maybe I’m missing something but Genestealers can’t take adrenal glands.

Reecius June 8, 2017 11:56 am #

Correct, sir, it is a typo =)

3. ReservedOptimism June 8, 2017 11:58 am #

Ok. Lol. I was hoping you knew something about them I didn’t because that would make them even more awesome

4. Stilgar June 8, 2017 12:27 pm #

I’m very interested in this game
    I think the bugs will dominate a lot of games with their essentially fearless blobs.

Reecius June 8, 2017 12:48 pm #

Bugs are very, very good.

• Jural June 8, 2017 5:07 pm #

I’m interested to see if the big bugs or the flying HT will stand up. But I’m pretty sure things like Carnifexes and the infantry will be doing work again!

Reecius June 9, 2017 11:45 am #

Flying HT is not what he was…but not bad. He just sort of pales in comparison to other choices.

• CNitram June 9, 2017 1:46 pm

I think Flyrants will still be a good mobile firing platform but they definitely lost durability since just grants a -1 to hit modifier instead of 6s to hit. Their 12 shots (3 shots per gun, 2 guns per bio-cannon, 1 bio-cannon for each arm) gained 1 S and 1 AP if you use the DS w/ Maggots. All-in-all, I’m just happy that they aren’t the only functional HQ choice anymore!

• Jural June 9, 2017 2:24 pm

Yeah, I’m less worried about the Flying HT and more worried that all the bugs bigger than the Carnifex may not see much usage. So expensive for easily removed wounds.

And yeah, maybe not bad in a vacuum, but the other choices seem pretty awesome…

But then there is this- I was a huge fan of Hive Guard and Zoanthropes before- and they still look great. Maybe need some special help for Zoanthropes, but it’s OK.

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab June 8, 2017 3:32 pm #

Guilliman is a fearless blob too!

• WestRider June 8, 2017 7:16 pm #

Oh yeah? Well, your mom is a fearless blob, too!

Sorry, couldn’t resist 😉

5. crispy86 June 8, 2017 5:30 pm #

I am personally loving these new Tyranids. So before the batlte begins you get to redeploy terrain, very nice! 😛

Just kidding, loving the stream guys. Thanks for taking the effort to share. Biovores seem so good, I’ll have to add them to my new nids!

Also I was the one that brought up that flier thing, so under minimum movement it has what happens to a flier if it can’t go the full distance. Page 177 in the larger rule book.

Reecius June 8, 2017 6:48 pm #

I rolled red hot, to be fair. Biovores are amazing, but not usually that good.

And yes, Nids are amazing!

6. Massakern June 8, 2017 6:55 pm #

I’m not sure you played the Swarmlord rule correct. It says you can move and advance just like in the movement phase. However in the reinforcement rules it says that you cannot move or advance the turn you arrive.

Reecius June 8, 2017 7:06 pm #

Yes, all of the movement powers though that work like this, such as Warp Time, still work on units that came out of reserves.

• Umbo Mangoman June 8, 2017 7:36 pm #

Are you sure Reece, as Massakern brings up a great point, it clearly says you cant move or advance any futher that ‘turn’, not just movement phase. I personally think RAW says its not allowed.

GSC cult ambush 6 roll clearly states they can override this.

Reecius June 8, 2017 8:27 pm #

Yes, I am certain. I totally see your point, but in this instance I am certain. And beyond just this rather vague justification, in general terms, the more specific rule overrides the more general. The specific movement rule overrides the general entering from reserves rule.

• Umbo Mangoman June 8, 2017 8:31 pm

fair enough! I play Nids, and I played it this way until I saw the rulebook and stopped.. Do you always run swarmy in a ‘drop pod’?

Reecius June 9, 2017 7:18 am

Yeah, I totally see the confusion but there are lots of rules that break rules, so to speak. Soulburst is another example of that.

And yes, I always take Swarmy in a Tyrannocyte if only to keep him off of the table turn 1 so he doesn’t get shot to death. The Tyrannocyte is a bad ass on its own, lol. Certainly not a tax.

• Luke June 9, 2017 2:45 am

This is the same type of thing with flamers and overwatch right? The “always hits with d6 shots” overrides the “always hits on 6’s”

Reecius June 9, 2017 7:15 am

Exactly.

• Tautastic June 9, 2017 9:13 am

So can a Ycarne use soulburst to charge the turn it arrives from reserve?

7. Garry Leonard June 8, 2017 11:11 pm #

So i’m guessing we are stearing clear of tactical objective missions again??? I feel like the could curve your concerns with building armies around first turn alpha strikes, as high unit counts are important to getting alot of command points, and burning command points to reroll objectives would be good.

I know the fear would be that people could roll objectives they can’t actualy achive. Like witch hunter against tau or something, but with the reroll +discard that might not be such a big issue. Additionally, a simple house rule that objectives that are completely impossible by virtue of army construction like lacking psykers can be redrawn.

• Troy Graber June 9, 2017 6:25 am #

Maelstrom is much more fun to play, so long as you play with the most obvious house rule in the world:

If you generate an objective that is unachievable, for instance manifest a psychic power when you have no psycker, discard it, and draw again.

It feels like it took effort for GW to avoid including that house rule used by 99% of all players from being in the rulebook.

• WestRider June 9, 2017 8:10 am #

To be fair, the modified set of Objectives in 8th has way fewer that are even potentially impossible. And even for the ones that are, it’s now less likely. For instance, Harness the Warp got turned into Master the Warp, which gives you the point if you use OR deny a power, and Scour the Skies now works on anything with the Fly keyword, which is all over the place on Jump/Jetpack/Skimmers/Jetbikes/etc.

• Garry Leonard June 9, 2017 8:16 am #

YEah i definitly agree.. Hope we will see tactical objectives in the ITC. I like them ass they have 6 objectives and they force you to constantly have to care about all of them. The eternal war missions seem alittle bit boring in comparison from what i’ve played these last few months.

• winterman June 9, 2017 8:56 am #

I like the ETC way of comboing eternal war with maelstrom which mods the cards and limits the scoring per turn so missions don’t become runaways.

8. Tautastic June 9, 2017 9:12 am #

So can a Ycarne use soulburst to charge the turn it arrives from reserve?

9. Kartr_Kana June 9, 2017 11:47 pm #

So far the handful of Marine games I’ve seen have left me with a bad impression.
    1. Rhinos are hella over costed. Yeah they’re a lot tougher, but they don’t have any firepower, you don’t want to deploy in them, and you can’t move-disembark-shoot so the enemy can run away from the Marines it carries.
    2. To win you need lots of Mortal Wounds to reliably kill enemies, Lascannons don’t cut it.
    3. Space Marines don’t have reliable/tough Mortal Wounds outside of Robot Girlyman. “If you’re not blue git fucked.”
    4. Mortal Wounds ignoring Invulnerable Saves is probably the worst game mechanic since 7th ed Grav cannons.
    5. If you play Space Marines buy stock in lube because you’re about to be bent over the barrel by 8th edition.

Reecius June 10, 2017 6:07 am #

1.) Rhinos are fine, and work well when used properly.
      2.) Lascannons do cut it. They’re amazingly good in 8th and many competitive lists revolve around them.
      3.) Yes, all marines have access to mortal wonds, haha. Librarians, my friend. And again, you don’t need them. My ork and astra militarum lists rarely have any outside a single psyker, and I do just fine.
      4.) Grav was far worse. Mortal wounds are fine. It’s just a big change, you’ll get used to it. They’re good for the game so long as they’re not too prevalent. Most the time you can hardly aim them, and they’re usually short ranged. Screen units can often soak the damage to no effect.
      5.) Lolol, I understand you’re feeling frustrated but trust me, space marines are amazing in 8th. You have all the tools you need. My dice were fire in the game which didn’t help and roboute, while good, only participated because I threw units at him for fun. I could have easily avoided him. You don’t need him at all. I assure you friend, marines are excellent in this edition.

• Kartr_Kana June 10, 2017 3:24 pm #

Could you explain how to use Rhino’s properly please Reece? Because I’m just not seeing it between the inability to disembark after moving and the cost. It just seems like you won’t be able to move Marines into position for Rapid Fire because the enemy will either be able to move away, or lock the vehicle in combat so the Marines can’t disembark.

Well you’ve got more experience, but the D6 damage seems really unreliable when trying to kill the new vehicles and monsters. Same thing with flamers, D6 seems to equal 1 when I’m rolling 😛

I don’t know, last edition you were one of the most vocal voices on how taking away player agency is a bad thing. Things like Invisibility or all the AP2 weapons that negated everyone’s armor saves. How are Mortal Wounds any different? You can’t even take Invuln’s against them! And while you may not be able to “aim” smite, you sure could aim those biovores and you guys mentioned that Tau can spam mortal wounds with a markerlight+missile combo…

I think a Marine army that focuses on tanks and dreadnoughts could be really powerful, but for those of us who are playing Power Armour heavy it doesn’t seem like we’ll have the mobility or survivability to make it work. Especially with the changes to disembarkation. I feel like I’ll have to convert my Rhinos to Razorbacks and buy a bunch of Predators and Dreadnoughts in order to be effective.

• WestRider June 10, 2017 4:38 pm #

He was rolling ridiculously well with the Biovores. Dice can skew the perception of anything. More often, they’re going to average 1-2 MWs per Turn, which is non-negligible, but hardly terrifying.

The only problem I’ve had with Lascannon is shooting them at Necron Vehicles with Quantum Shielding. QS is really good at bouncing Lascannon fire.

Reecius June 11, 2017 11:09 am

Exactly. I missed with I think 1 Biovore shot the entire game, lol, that is not normal.

Reecius June 11, 2017 11:07 am #

Yeah, sure. So, Rhinos are different, way different now. I suggest using them to deliver assault units more so than Bolter Slangers (although you will quickly find that in most lists you don’t even take that many Tactical Marines, honestly). But, I would suggest things like Command Squads with 4 special weapons (even better in a Razorback with twin heavy flamers). But, Sternguard are good in a Rhino, zip up into a good position, you have an essentially 9″ move out of the Rhino to get into double tap range, then you charge. The Rhino goes in to melee first to absorb overwatch and the infantry follow.

And you can still disembark if the vehicle is in combat, nothing stops you. You just have to be able to disembark legally. Then, the Rhino can pull out of combat and you can blast the unit that was hitting it.

You can also hide characters behind rhinos as you advance, too, which is great protection from snipers.

Really, it comes down to what you need a unit to do. I’d go with MSU units in Razorbacks and special weapons. With Rhinos, I’d take units that were specialized to get up there and kick butt with shooting and assault. Grey Hunters for example, work well in Rhinos. For Marines, they have less need for them, but as stated, Sternguard are a good candidate for mounting up as you can make them good at both shooting and assault. You could also go with 2 Command Squads in Rhinos for points efficiency, and you jam up field and pop out both units. That would actually be really good!

Hope that helps!

• Kartr_Kana June 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks Reece. Sadly I built my army around “Bolter Slangers” in Rhinos during 8th. First with Sentinels of Terra and then the Sternhammer Strike Force. Roll up and hop out of a Rhino to screen the Devastators and Bolter down infantry. So moving into 8th I’ve got plenty of Power Armour and Rhinos, but no assault units or Predators. So I’m trying to figure out how the heck I’m going to win in the new Demolition Derby style Warhammer.

Reecius June 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Well, the basic Marine certainly isn’t bad by any means. You’ll just find that when you can take a bolter marine or a marine with a better weapon, it isn’t a hard choice. If you use Guilliman with massed Bolter marines, it works really well. Toss in a special and heavy weapon, a power weapon on sarge with a combi weapon, and they all march up the field kicking some butt. The Rhinos aren’t really needed in that instance, though.

Perhaps consider running them as Grey Hunters. They work very well as mechanized infantry in the way you want to play.

10. black mage June 10, 2017 12:23 am #

i dont understand why you need mortal wounds to win,,,,

• Kartr_Kana June 10, 2017 1:04 am #

They ignore saves and if your enemy has them and you don’t, then kiss your more effective units good-bye while you struggle to do damage back. Pablo’s Devastators got crushed by those… Biovores? And did very little before being drowned under Mortal Wounds. While Robute, the only Space Marine source of Mortal Wounds carried the fight, the rest of the army was little more than a walking wound pool for him.

Power armour Marines are worse in this edition than in 7th. Now a Predator Annhilator does the same amount of damage, with twice the toughness, twice the wounds, and twice the move, while having the same save and not losing cannons with every wound.

Tactical Marines are a little cheaper, but less survivable, no more firepower and no greater mobility. While Scouts gained the ability to deal mortal wounds and block enemy deep strikes.

Terminators may have gotten better, certainly seems that way on paper, but even they will get cut down like Guardsmen in the face odd massed Mortal Wounds like what the Biovores were putting out.

If you want viable Space Marines you’re looking at:
      2 Techmarines HQ
      3 Scout Squads with sniper rifles and probably cloaks
      3 Razorbacks as dedicated transports for durable anti-infantry
      3 Predator Annhilators

Toss in a couple of Dreadnoughts and an Apothecary to round out your points. Maybe a Captain if he allows the Predators to re-roll.

Reecius June 10, 2017 5:58 am #

You don’t. It’s nice to have, but not needed.

11. Konkey Dong June 11, 2017 3:57 am #

Yo Reece just so you know 1 of the 7 Swarmlord attacks has to made with his crappy tail instead of the bonesabres

Also assassins have 6 wounds

Reecius June 11, 2017 9:01 am #

Good catch! I forgot about that.