Wednesday Night Fight: Astra Militarum vs. Necrons

We’ve got another battle lined up for you, tonight! Astra Militarum vs. Necrons, 5pm PST on our Twitch channel, tonight!

Are you a subscriber to our Twitvch Channel? Vote for the factions in the next game, here!

First up, Reecius’ Catachans!

• 2,000pts

Storm Bolter 1
Manticore Heavy Support 1 H.Bolter 1
Bassilisk Heavy Support 1 H.Bolter 1

And Frankie’s Necrons

• 2,000pts
  • 5 Command Points
  • 2 Detachments (Battalion & Auxiliary Support)
Unit # Weapons #
Illuminar Szeras 1
Anrakyr the Traveler 1
Nemesor Zahndrekh 1
Cryptek 1 Staff of light 1
Necron Warriors 20 Gauss Flayer 20
Necron Warriors 20 Gauss Flayer 20
Flayed Ones 20
Immortals 9 Tesla Carbine 9
Scarabs 4
Heavy Destroyers 2 Heavy guass Cannon 2
Heavy Destroyers 2 Heavy guass Cannon 2

Who do you all think will win?

60 Responses to “Wednesday Night Fight: Astra Militarum vs. Necrons”

1. Cephalobeard June 7, 2017 11:02 am

I wanna see your Tempestus at some point, Reece!

Reecius June 7, 2017 11:32 am

They’re dirty! haha, but yes, we will.

2. Panzer1944 June 7, 2017 11:39 am

Was hoping to see a Valkyrie. Want to see how flyers now hold up now since skyfire is a thing of the past.

Reecius June 7, 2017 11:46 am

I can do that in another game. They’re great for dumping a bunch of Command Squads out near something to then smoke it.

3. Mypalvlad June 7, 2017 11:44 am

Hey guys, just wondering why you say you can pick the deployment type when the missions says that the player determines, not picks. It also indicates that you should check pg 216 for more info. That page clearly states that for match play missions, you must randomly pick a deployement type, which suggests to me that the player determining it simply gets to roll to see which type it is and gets to pick the side. Sorry for the long post, thanks for all you guys do for 40k!

Reecius June 7, 2017 11:46 am

Nope, you are right! We played it incorrectly. I think due to the wording in it a lot of folks have missread it that way.

Thanks for pointing it out.

• Threllen June 7, 2017 11:55 am

Yeah, that confused me as well until someone pointed it out. Wording it that one player gets to “determine” a map immediately makes you think you just get to pick whatever you want. You have to go to a different section to read the paragraph that says “determine” just means roll a random die.

In which case I don’t know why they couldn’t have just said that in the first place…

Reecius June 7, 2017 12:35 pm

I know, right? I misread it, too.

4. Lockinfinity June 7, 2017 11:47 am

im rooting for the catachans!

Reecius June 7, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks!

5. Heldericht June 7, 2017 11:49 am

Thank you so much for doing these streams. It’s great to get an idea of the playstyle in 8th edition.

Would love to see a Tau vs Nids stream from you guys (or Tau vs anyone really).

Keep it up!

Reecius June 7, 2017 12:34 pm

I think we have a Tau vs. Nids bat rep in the works, actually.

Glad you’re enjoying them!

• Lockinfinity June 7, 2017 12:59 pm

are pathfinders will railrifles good, i haven’t seen any leaks on them

Reecius June 7, 2017 1:08 pm

Very good. Rail rifles are mean.

6. Dave June 7, 2017 12:02 pm

Doubting that necron list a lot, think astra has this one. Hope I am wrong – go ‘crons!

Reecius June 8, 2017 6:55 am

They lacked the tools to deal with the vehicles, unfortunately.

7. Bri June 7, 2017 12:07 pm

Gonna be honest the necron list looks like it will have an uphill struggle.

Reecius June 7, 2017 12:35 pm

Crons are touch bastards but this may be a tough fight for Francis.

8. Eyjio June 7, 2017 12:38 pm

It’s gotta be a guard victory, right? I feel like it might not even be close.

Reecius June 7, 2017 1:14 pm

We shall see! My AM army is pretty mean.

9. Requizen
    Requizen June 7, 2017 12:39 pm

Ah man I really want to watch this one but tonight is game night! I’ll have to catch the VOD later.

Sorry Reece, gotta root for my metal lads. I’m not too sure about Frankie’s list (I think FOs are a bit iffy and he may have gone a bit too heavy on Characters for my taste), but I think they have a fighting chance at least! Heavy Destroyers are so, so good.

Reecius June 7, 2017 1:06 pm

Thanks for nothing, bruh! Just kidding, Frankie needs all the help he can get.

10. Greggles June 7, 2017 12:47 pm

Frankie’s list has one too many HQ’s. (3 max in battalion). [Caught by Macathu]

Reecius June 7, 2017 1:06 pm

Yup, he’s a loser. =P

• Cephalobeard June 7, 2017 1:42 pm

Luckily you have time to fix it! 😉

11. Yonas June 7, 2017 2:05 pm

Would be really awesome so see Harlequins at some point since you guys have been talking about how great they are now. Maybe Harlequins versus Sisters of Battle or Custodes if you guys have the models for it?

Reecius June 8, 2017 6:55 am

We don’t have custodes or an actual Harlequin army, we proxied them in testing =(

We do have a full Sisters army that is fully unpainted, haha

12. cayesq June 7, 2017 2:45 pm

I wanna see Flayed Ones charge a vehicle and smoke it with weight of dice! Wounding most vehicles on 5’s with Shred on a billion attacks, holla!

Reecius June 7, 2017 7:13 pm

It almost happened!

13. Blight June 7, 2017 4:10 pm

Hey Reece do you know if negative modifiers can make a shooting attack impossible?
    Such as orks vs a ghostkeel with drones at a -2 to hit penalty?
    So short version would be do 6s succeed always for to hit rolls just like to wound rolls. (Though could a unit fail to wound on a 6 with a -1 mod?)

Reecius June 7, 2017 7:05 pm

You can auto miss 🙁

• Blight June 7, 2017 7:54 pm

Oh well guess that just means it’s a job for the choppy boyz.😃

Reecius June 7, 2017 8:12 pm

Indeed as that is your only option, haha =P

14. Pyrothem June 7, 2017 7:37 pm

Truth time Reecius, in your time of play testing everything has a Necron ever won against a pure knight list?
    If yes how? A first time player picking up necrons has 2 Knight players at his LFG needs to know there is hope…

Reecius June 7, 2017 8:10 pm

Yeah, you just need the tools for the job. Heavy Gauss Cannons, etc.

• Pyrothem June 7, 2017 8:58 pm

Ok so T Stalkers it is. Heavy Destroyers are only T5 W3 with a 3+ that can never get a better as they are not infantry to get cover or character bonus. Knights would eat them for breakfast with the power they pump out and with 3 to a squad max… yup T Stalkers at 181 a pop they are spendy but with Q-Shield I might get lucky.

Reecius June 7, 2017 9:14 pm

Heavy Destroyers are Infantry =)

And Stalkers are a good choice. With a Spyder nearby to replenish a Scarab screen especially and fix him on top of Living Metal and Quantum Shields, he’s tough.

And Heavy D’s can be resurrected, they’re a very good choice.

• Beau June 7, 2017 9:48 pm

I want to know who would win, knight spam or c’tan spam

• skoffs June 8, 2017 3:10 am

Knights. Hands down.
        (the C’tan aren’t really all that amazing right now)

Reecius June 8, 2017 6:56 am

Ah, C’Tan spam? I don’t think that would work very well vs. many armies, honestly.

Knights though, are brutally good.

15. Grimgold June 7, 2017 10:30 pm

Frankies list was so bad, besides being illegal he spent almost a third of his points on characters, went for a footslogging army with no mobility enhancements, and made it so his destroyers were almost guaranteed to not get RP. He had a better chance of the game getting interrupted by an earthquake than reaching Reece’s back line.

I love you guys but man was this one hard to watch. Here is the list i would have run:

Reecius June 8, 2017 6:58 am

Frankie’s list does very well vs. other Infantry lists (and it wasn’t illegal, he had an Aux detachment in there, just wrote it funny).

And, I agree on some of your points though, in the video I asked why he didn’t run max units of Heavy D’s. I think that is the only way to play them.

I also asked whey be brought to many characters, I don’t think you need that many, either.

I will check out your list!

• Chad June 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Rules I’ve looked at show Heavy Destroyers max unit size of 3 & Destroyers at 6. 2+2 was the right call if he wanted 4 on the table for this fight.

Necrons need to bring -ap weaponry in every list to deal with heavies and not just ranged. I’m saddened that my scarabs can gnaw on a land raider all day and watch him make 2+ saves while they do but will continue to try new things until I find a well rounded list I like.

16. Rory June 7, 2017 10:52 pm

Without seeing the list being played, the Necron list seemed off (besides being illegal). An o/lord paired with 10 tesla immortals synergises very well. Stick a GA and cryptek/orikan for the warrior blobs and you get an incredibly durable phalanx. Could drop alot of HQ’s too, freeing up points. 20 FO feels like overkill these days, as most squads are smaller in size (AM wise). Against tyranids might be better however. With that many HD’s, a D/Lord would serve them well, especially considering how HQ heavy this list is. Also the amount of Cp’s is off? A battalion gives 3, plus 3 base, so thats 6. Could easily drop some FO, and add some more HD’s and get another detachment, giving 7 CP?

Reecius June 8, 2017 6:59 am

He had an Aux detachment but wrote it funny, sorry for the confusion.

I agree with many of your points, I think he went too character heavy as well.

17. Shuba June 7, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi guyz.
    What is the meaning of those lists? Is it lire compétitive liste or Just some lists to test the New v8?

Reecius June 8, 2017 6:59 am

We’re mostly showing the game at present but lists like the one Frankie are actually quite good against Infantry armies.

18. Requizen
    Requizen June 8, 2017 5:28 am

Watched the VOD. Necrons look… not amazing right now. I haven’t found a build that really deals damage, and the new RP isn’t a very practical replacement for the old one. It’s not… bad, but I prefer 7th edition version to this.

Still trying different builds and units, but nothing looks all that hot right now. Everything good is extremely expensive, everything affordable is not particularly wow-ing.

Reecius June 8, 2017 7:03 am

This was a butt kicking so it looked way worse than it is.

Crons are really good, they can just struggle with vehicles. I wouldn’t worry.

New RP is mega good though, can be a bit not fun to play against at times.

• skoffs June 8, 2017 10:00 am

> “they can just struggle with vehicles”

For a faction who were known to be anti-vehicle experts, this makes me incredibly sad…

Reecius June 8, 2017 10:16 am

Don’t despair just yet. Frankie is a bit rusty too, he hasn’t played them in a while.

You need to bring enough Heavy Gauss (or whatever) type weapons to handle massed vehicles. It’s a list building challenge for every army in the game, honestly.

• punchymango June 8, 2017 10:01 pm

As I look at ‘cron lists, this is the question I keep coming back to: how do I bring enough anti-tank, especially given that I can’t distribute it across my army the way marines and IG can?

Other armies have had this problem in previous editions: when your answer to vehicles is all resting on specialist units, you create easy target priority for your opponent.

It’s not as bad as it was in the past, just because you’re not helpless if they die, but none of the ‘cron answers to heavy vehicles look all that survivable to me.

Reecius June 9, 2017 7:16 am

Yeah, that is a good question. Warriors and Immortals can take down a few, but massed vehicles can overwhelm them.

We’ve found Destroyers and Heavy D’s to be the best answer.

• Requizen
        Requizen June 8, 2017 10:29 am

I think the new RP is weaker. It’s potentially better in the long run, when you can make the roll multiple times, but once people know how it works, it’s not hard to kill 10 or even 20 Warriors. Or 10 Immortals.

19. Dylan June 8, 2017 7:54 am

Awesome to see Bullgryns! They’re such cool and awesome models (With the slabshield and 2+!) I keep 4 in a chimera with 2 H flamers. A very durable transport now too. They are even still bigger than nu marines.

Manticore is great too. Wyverns are still great and still consistent.

Id love to see some baneblades rolling out. Shadowsword is a constant performer. Best long range vehicle destroyer. Though even against a knight list Im not sure how IG would do.

Sentinels with Hflamers are awesome as well.

Reecius June 8, 2017 9:33 am

The Shadowsword is pretty solid, although I still prefer the Stomrlord, personally.

And yes, Bullgryn are the business!

20. Truesight June 8, 2017 9:30 am

Reece I have a question about the Rough Riders after watching the match, they have chainswords as standard but you never made the extra attack. On the charge should they make one lance attack, a horse attack and a chainsword attack?
    Then double chainsword horse attack when they don’t?

Reecius June 9, 2017 8:50 pm

You are right! I knew I was forgetting something when I was playing them.

21. Bellerah June 8, 2017 10:02 am

That is a lot of HQ’s for the Crons. I am liking the 40 warriors + Ark and Cryptec for a infantry core. 12 wraiths for some mobility 6 destroyers 2 heavy destroyers doomsday ark + top off with the remaining 200 points

I think it is important to have some heavy shooting stuff out there to go along with the durability

Reecius June 8, 2017 10:16 am

Yeah, he took too many characters IMO, too.

You need the heavy hitting ranged weapons, agreed.