Chapter Tactics #30 What We Will Miss About 7th Edition

Chapter Tactics is a 40k podcast which focuses on promoting better tactical play and situational awareness across all variations of the game. Today’s episode PeteyPab and James talk about some of the things they are going to miss about 7th, and offer up some faction predictions about Newhammer.

QOTD: Which factions do you want to see make a come back in the new edition?

Show Notes:

• Hello everyone! Sorry about skipping an episode last week. Expect a few more delays until the new edition comes out. Though when it does it will be full steam ahead.
  • Check out the last episode of Chapter Tactics here. Or, click here for a link to a full archive of all of my episodes.

Iron Halo

Have you purchased your Iron Halo tickets yet? If you haven’t go buy them now and come say hi to me! I plan on Facebook livestreaming games, and covering the entire event. Email me if you would like to be on the stream.

got a list

Need help with a list idea? Got a rules question? Want to talk tactics? Then email me at…
Please do not send an army list in a format such as Army Builder, send them in an easy to read, typed format. Thanks!

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

10 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #30 What We Will Miss About 7th Edition”

1. David Hayden May 20, 2017 10:17 pm

I’m going to miss…uh…you know…maybe…

I got nothing. I’ll have some warm feelings for 7th because it’s the version I came back to after 15 years and four editions, but I’m not going to miss the rules themselves at all.

• WestRider May 20, 2017 10:38 pm

Yep. I have some nostalgia for 6th, because it’s the one that brought Allies back into the Game, but it was pretty much a mess itself, and then 7th turned that mess up to 11.

2. Some Canadian May 20, 2017 11:17 pm

As a Tyranid player I will miss nothing. 7th can go rest in a dumpster fire

3. everyone May 20, 2017 11:25 pm

I’m gonna miss facing armor … and any relevance to scatter

• David Hayden May 21, 2017 10:26 am

I’m not going to miss those questions of side armor vs rear armor. And it never made sense to me. Why should an advanced future tank be poorly armored in the rear?

I would’ve been okay if they’d changed it to rear armor or front and dropped side, but I’m much happier that it’s gone altogether.

• Ytook May 21, 2017 10:49 am

I’ll miss variable facings and the positional play of that, but I’m more than happy with the time saved and the ease created by getting rid of it 🙂

4. Guido Hockmann May 21, 2017 9:59 am

I’ll miss vehicle facings, flamer templates, and all space marines being the same size.

Reecius May 21, 2017 10:46 am

Space Marines aren’t all the same size and have not been since Rogue Trader =)

5. Michael Corr
    Michael Corr May 22, 2017 11:45 pm

I really enjoyed 7th edition. Don’t get me wrong, it had a lot of problems. Maybe it was just my local gaming group’s meta, but I had a lot of fun with it. Plus, it introduced Maelstrom, one of my favourite ways to play the game in a long time.

• Chandler May 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Agreed. I will also miss psychic powers. I know they were a large part of what was wrong with the game, but I enjoyed using them. There was sort of a risk with dabbling with them and I enjoyed psychic based armies.

Maelstrom will be a thing in 8th though so that is good, but I agree I did love the implementation of it in 7th.