Warhammer 40,000 Faction Focus: Astra Militarum

tartarus151st.1

What, what, Reecius wrote an article for you all about Astra Militarum in NewHammer! Follow the link to read more.

What do all of you think about this little tidbit?

40 Responses to “Warhammer 40,000 Faction Focus: Astra Militarum”

1. Michael Corr
    Michael Corr May 9, 2017 8:29 am

Awesome stuff Reece! I like that this article has a few more information teases than Frankie’s one on Chaos Marines.

Leman Russ with T8, 12W and 3+ save? Yes please! Though I think it should be higher toughness, this is still pretty awesome, especially if we don’t have to snap fire once we shoot our Battle Cannons.

Also, added to the new character stuff released today, Ratlings now appear to be worth their weight in gold. Sniping characters where other infantry can’t!

Reecius May 9, 2017 8:46 am

Yeah, Ratlings are awesome, now as are all Snipers when used correctly. You just have to be careful with them as they’re high value targets and will get aced quickly if you don’t protect them.

• Ytook May 9, 2017 9:08 am

I’m well up for a more numerous approach to Leman Russes, should make them easier to fit the odd one into an infantry heavy army and makes tank rush more viable with more ‘bodies’ on the field.

(Not that T8 W12 SV3+ is exactly flimsy but you get my meaning 😛 )

Reecius May 9, 2017 9:31 am

Yeah, the Leman Russ is an iconic vehicle and deserves to be good. I can’t say anything more about it yet, but hopefully we will see more rules on it, soon =)

• Shas'Itsa Mari'o May 10, 2017 6:12 am

“Hopefully” he says lol

• sanchezsam2 May 9, 2017 3:29 pm

I was happy to hear rough riders weren’t discontinued this edition I was worried since they no longer sold a model. And thier statement was every model they make would have rules.

2. Horton May 9, 2017 8:34 am

Great article! I am so glad GW let you tell us a few rules!

Reecius May 9, 2017 8:47 am

Yeah, they told us we could throw in a few specific rules this time as so many folks wanted more of it in the Chaos article. They listen to you guys =)

• winterman May 9, 2017 9:45 am

Hahaha its 6ed all over again for CSM. First in the pipe for an article, misses out on getting some rules hints! 🙂

• Threllen May 9, 2017 9:58 am

And this is why new GW is best GW!

On their facebook link to your article someone specifically asked if we could get more CSM tidbits since the article was light.

They responded by asking him what his favorite unit was and when he said Rubric Marines they said they would use them as an example when they showed off datasheets later this week.

Now that’s community engagement!

Reecius May 9, 2017 10:16 am

Awesome!

• winterman May 9, 2017 10:59 am

They continue to impress

• Anggul May 9, 2017 11:20 am

Sweet!

Whether rubric marines are good now is going to be a pretty milestone thing, as they’ve been so bad for so many editions and pretty much everyone loves the look of them.

• Threllen May 9, 2017 11:40 am

Honestly, I’m going to be a little mad if they make TS good in the new edition. I held off buying Magnus, Ahriman, the new rubrics, scarab occult, and Tzaangors because I was like “they’re not that good. It’s not worth it.”

Now I won’t have an excuse if they don’t suck…

Reecius May 9, 2017 12:01 pm

Haha, I think a lot of folks will be in that situation with a lot of different factions. We hope so, anyway =)

• DeeJay May 9, 2017 10:07 am

It’s great to see GW paying attention to what the fans are asking for.

Reecius May 9, 2017 10:09 am

It really is.

3. Davis A Centis May 9, 2017 8:38 am

So… happy….!

Please, oh please, do one of these for Orks and Tyranids soon!

Reecius May 9, 2017 8:49 am

Well, I can’t say who is writing those or when but hang tight and I think you will be quite pleased =)

• fluger May 9, 2017 3:19 pm

Orks are the big one for me. They are a tough army to balance as you want them to be good enough at one task, but still cheap. Like, tank hunters were good at liking tanks, but at 13 pts were just too costly for their low survivability. I’m interested to see how they balanced that tension.

4. Blight May 9, 2017 8:44 am

Man I wish you had been able to do this with the chaos marine article. I am desperate for any scrap of rules for the spiky marines.

Reecius May 9, 2017 8:51 am

Ah, we may be doing that, actually. Keep an eye on the Warhammer-community site and FLG. We have so much information we want to give you, haha! Just need to be a little patient.

5. Ytook May 9, 2017 9:23 am

Looking forward to my armoured plasma sentinels being useful 😛

6. Fulcrum May 9, 2017 9:31 am

So now can you go back & ADD some specific rules to the Chaos article? 😉 Franks & beans!

Reecius May 9, 2017 9:40 am

That may actually happen, keep your eye on the Warhammer-community page.

• TrexPushups May 9, 2017 10:50 am

It would be fairly awesome if they gave you authorization to discuss possessed and give hints about how awesome they have become.

Reecius May 9, 2017 10:54 am

I wish I could but as we’ve been saying, there was a concerted effort to make EVERY unit in EVERY faction good. Now, how close we came to achieving that goal will vary based on the perspective of each individual, but we certainly tried to hit the mark.

• TrexPushups May 9, 2017 11:54 am

I would gladly settle for them authorizing you to describe them as fast, hard hitting, or tough if they let you update.

I wouldn’t dream of asking you to exceed the permissions you have been given though.

Reecius May 9, 2017 12:01 pm

Yeah, as time goes by we will be able to say more for sure, but for the time being we can only say what they’ve said on their site.

7. Requizen
    Requizen May 9, 2017 9:37 am

Snipers are finally the Character hunters they’re supposed to be? Time to load up on Deathmarks!

8. DeeJay May 9, 2017 10:07 am

This has me so excited. I can’t wait to see the humans of the emperor dying for the cause!

9. Biasco May 9, 2017 10:13 am

Great work Reecius . I’ve spent more than a few dead presidents at Frontline …. 3 mats and bunch of other stuff. What you guys are doing is great for the game and the best way to say thanks is by my continued patronage of Frontline gaming. Which you will most certainly be getting after 8th launches ! Also Jason is an asset and very pleasant to deal with on the phone orders.

Reecius May 9, 2017 10:29 am

Hey, thank you so much for the support and kind words, much appreciated!

10. Beau May 9, 2017 12:26 pm

Rough riders charrrgge!

11. fluger May 9, 2017 2:47 pm

Good power move to show Frankie who the real boss is by getting rules in your article and not his. Respect (I’m kidding, I read the stuff above and know it was GW responding to the other article, which is amazing).

The stats on the Leman Russ are perfect, very tough and would take considerable firepower to bring down. Excellent.

As far as rules speculation goes, I would imagine that all the weapons can fire at different targets a la 2nd edition, which makes having mixed and matched weapons be more viable. I’m assuming the Leman Russ is giving up speed for firepower and durability, maybe something like Movement 4 or something.

More rules speculation. It seems that with characters outside of units that ratlings and all sniper units finally have something to do. I’m also assuming this is the end of Look out Sir and with blasts being changed there is no blast sniping. So snipers actually get to do what they are there for: kill high value characters. That should hopefully make units like the Imperial Assassins, Rangers, and even SM scouts w/ Sniper Rifles more valuable.

The units I’ve always really wanted to see be successful in IG are

Ogryns
    Rough Riders
    Hellhounds
    Ratlings
    Storm Troopers
    All their tanks

Oh, and I’m hoping the Basilisk got some love. Its a classic kit and has just never had the oomph it should have for being such a supposedly dangerous weapon (same for the Deathstrike). I’m hoping a profile like 2d6 hits on hit, S9 -2 to save and D6 wounds. That would be enough to cripple or kill a Leman Russ with a hit, as it should be.

12. Peter de Florio May 9, 2017 3:49 pm

Leman Russ with T8, 12W and 3+ save

Its kinda interesting compared to the dreadnought stats they put out which were something like T7, 6W and 3+.

I was assuming T7 = av 12 so Leman Russes would be T9… Maybe they considered dreads av13.

• Sanchezsam2 May 9, 2017 4:17 pm

I’m assuming toughness 8 instead of 9 is based on the fact the leman russ was 14 front only and 13 side and 10-11 rear. Something like a landraider I assume will be toughness 9 or 10 since it’s 14 all around and superheavies like a baneblade will be toughness 10 or 11.

13. Caldria May 9, 2017 5:40 pm

Daaaaamn, my friend is going to squeal at these little hints – I instantly linked this to him – thanks for the write up Reecius!

now if only we could get some dark eldar teasers sometime soon :O

Reecius May 9, 2017 7:19 pm

We may or may not be writing a teaser on that very faction in the near future =)

Glad you enjoyed the AM article, hopefully it gets your friend excited about the future!

14. Lothar May 26, 2017 5:13 am

I would really like to know if Stormtrooper will be actually usefull (that would be the first time in their history).

With the new DeepStrike rules (never melta range) and the much lower chance to kill a vehicle (lots of wounds), how can the STs be used? What is their role? Are they competitive? Or just a nice looking guys on my shelf (like always :DDD)