Chapter Tactics #21: Aeldari Shenanigans Pt. 2 FAQ Boogaloo

pablos-logo-baseline3-300x300-1

Today PeteyPab and his guest review the rest of the Fracture of Biel-Tan book and go over 40k FAQ questions that GW needs to clarify to help clean up the Fracture of Biel-Tan book for competitive play. Also, stay tuned for the interview at the end of the show. Pablo interviews someone from the 4th Annual March Madness event, a tournament with a $700 cash prize for best overall!

QOTD: What questions do you think GW needs to answer about the new Strength from Death rule?

Show Notes:

FAQ questions are at 1:03:30

March Madness interview at 1:20:00

Click here for part One

Click here for all of the episodes of Chapter Tactics!

itc-banner-620x250

The March Madness is almost upon us! If you would like to attend this event or get more information click here.

Also remember to download the Best Coast Pairings player’s app to check the lists of sponsored events! BCP is making it easier to see which lists are winning which tournaments. If you want a tutorial to how to view lists on the BCP app click here.

About Petey Pab

Aspiring 40k analyst, tournament reporter and Ultramarines enthusiast, Petey Pab only seeks to gather more knowledge about the game of 40k and share it with as many people as he can in order to unite both hobbyists and gamers. We are, after all, two sides of the same coin.

21 Responses to “Chapter Tactics #21: Aeldari Shenanigans Pt. 2 FAQ Boogaloo”

1. Ibushi
    ibushi February 25, 2017 3:15 pm

This ruleset is a ton of fun, the options are virtually endless, but also tactical. Could practically do a standalone podcast for each of the Dark Eldar, Harlequins, and Craftworlds and how they can use the new Ynnari rules.

Solitaire is in fact Unique, unfortunately. The idea of double Heroes’ Path is quite hilarious though.

Also Ynnari models cannot take relics from the other Aeldari factions, only those “they could take normally” and then the new Ynnari relics in addition. I was looking at giving the Shard of Anaris to a Solitaire or something like that, but sadly it doesn’t work.

On that note, while yes the Harlequins got some help, the fact that they cannot take the basic Masque Detachment under the Reborn Warhost really stings! Cegorach’s Revenge, and even Cegorach’s Jest, is such an unwieldy formation to rely on, the Masque Detachment would have been so clutch. Can’t complain though, Strength from Death is pretty huge, and as mentioned on the podcast, just bringing in a WPP with Fire Dragons makes a huge difference for Harlequins.

I think people will only start to grasp how the Ynnari function once there are some batreps up showing the Soulburst mechanic in action.

• Petey Pab
      Petey Pab February 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Too bad about the Solitaire, but you are 100% right about what this book does. I have a buddy that also was kind of bummed about the lack of love for the Masque Detachment, but hey, I am not sure it would have fit with SfD or this book either.

• Ibushi
        Ibushi February 27, 2017 8:30 am

Masque Detachment under a Reborn Warhost wouldn’t be a top table phenomenon, but it would easily be the most competitive Harlequins can ever hope to be.

Strength from Death helps all Harlequins immensely by dishing out a free movement — 12″ moving Troupes and 24″ moving Solitaires are absolute nightmares. In the Masque you can tack on the fleet Run move and are still allowed to assault, which is huge for getting that extra couple of inches closer to trigger SfD, etc. etc.

Fluffwise the Masque Detachment seems like a total no-brainer as the Harlequin Masques are literally coming out the woodwork to help out Yraine, it’s kind of awesome.

But yeah, looking forward to seeing what kind of crazy shenanigans people come up with

• abusepuppy February 27, 2017 1:54 pm

The reason that the Masque detachment isn’t available is the same reason that the Ulthwe Strike Force isn’t available- the Reborn Warhost specifically allows you to take formations as part of it, not detachments, and neither of them qualify.

Of course, that gets to the deeper problem that many of the Harlequin formations are really quite trashy and unimpressive, but…

• Ibushi
            ibushi February 28, 2017 8:17 am

haha good point, they are not formations in that sense, and I also understand why you can only be Ynnari faction by being part of a Reborn Warhost… but I’m still sad.

• David Alastair Hayden February 26, 2017 2:35 pm

Losing the Masque hurts. I tried working in Cegorach’s Revenge, because it has the benefits of the Masque and the re-roll, but within the Ynnari faction it’s even more restrictive. Right now I’m just taking the Troupes as Troupes along with Hero’s Path and two extra Shadowseers. Using a Lhamean as the HQ. That’s as close as I can get to pure Ynarri Harlequins.

I’m sure I’ll do some builds where I use a Succubus with a Webway Portal and a unit of Wraithguard.

The great thing about this book is that I already have Harlequins, two differently themed Eldar armies, and a few Dark Eldar. So many great combinations I can use.

2. Ruben88 February 26, 2017 1:33 am

Hi peteypab! With the new ynarri rules, as far as my understanding, you cannot pull off the double charge in the assault phase. The BRB says the following: units are no longer locked in combat if, at the END any phase, they no longer have any models in base contact with an enemy model.

So, because you’re locked in combat until the end of the phase, you technically cannot charge whenever a unit us destroyed within 7 inches in the assault phase.

• Ruben88 February 26, 2017 5:14 am

That means, if you were previously engaged and have destroyed the opposing unit. Unengaged unit can of course charge with the soulburst. It’s only the doubletap that doesn’t work to my understanding of the BRB.

• Happy_Inquisitor February 26, 2017 5:59 am

This one is almost top of the list for a FAQ because they have been showing Ynnari do exactly that on the Warhammer TV stream. I do not disagree with your reading of the BRB but that is not how they are interpreting it.

I have to say that the way Hit & Run works makes me think that the Warhammer TV approach fits with the rule design intent. With H&R if you are left standing by other units moving away then you can no longer invoke the rule even though the Assault Phase has not ended so by the strict logic you should still be locked in combat and able to H&R. I think they are taking that approach that being locked with nothing is the same as not being locked – if you see what I mean!

3. Ruben88 February 26, 2017 7:03 am

Very good answer! I don’t know the solution either, I just presented what I though was a clear rule in the BRB, but apparently isn’t. I do hope GW comes up with some answers soon. This topic has provided for a lot of interesting food for discussion within my local gaming group but I completely agree with PeteyPab that it’s also threatening to fracture the gaming community.

4. Peteypab February 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Good stuff guys. GW certainly needs to FAQ this book.

• Ruben88 February 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Good stuff from you too PP! Keep up the good podcast!

5. Grizzyzz February 27, 2017 5:12 am

The Harliquin transport is the starweaver, and it is essentially a venom with some tweaks. Both transports have troop capacity 6 🙂

I am pretty bummed about the relics overall, compared to the Imperium relics, they are very subpar.

Looking forward to a GW FAQ that really clarifies many of the nuances of the Ynnari soulburst.

• Some Dude February 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Venoms only have a transport capacity of 5

• abusepuppy February 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Venoms are capacity 5, not capacity 6. But yeah.

The Ynnari relics are easily the weakest part of them, but considering how bonkers good a lot of their other stuff is (and how good the relics they already have access to are) that’s hardly a penalty at all.

6. Grizzyzz February 27, 2017 5:15 am

One thing that no one seems to mention is warlocks. Huge boon in this book. Warlocks can roll on the new Revenant discipline. And nearly every Eldar aspect unit can upgrade to have them.

So spamming a bunch of warlocks throughout all your squads and farming for the 24″ soulburst power is a nice way to offset the difficulty with being close to dieing units to use SfD.

• abusepuppy February 27, 2017 2:00 pm

No Eldar aspect unit can take a Warlock- only Guardian Defenders/Storms, Windriders, and Vaul’s Wrath batteries can do so. Given the price, I would question the utility of trying to “spam” a 35-50pt model like that, especially because you’re giving up a very useful power set (gaining or removing Shrouded is great) in favor of a mediocre primaris and a bunch of high-WC spells. Revenent is a useful discipline, but it’s no Telepathy or Maelific.

• Peteypab February 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Or Runes of Fate for that matter.

• grizzyzz February 28, 2017 4:29 am

Oh my mistake. Yeah I double checked when I got home. I could have sworn you could :p

Also my bad on the venoms.. I was sure Falcons, Weavers, and Venoms were the same transport class… Sucks for Venoms haha

• Threllen February 28, 2017 6:43 am

You were sure Dark Eldar transports were in the same class as Eldar? Ha………… good joke.

7. Ben March 2, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks for talking about being polite during these discussions. It’s important to remember that the PERSON is always correct/good/human/has feelings, but their opinions can be different than yours or wrong. We’re all battle brothers