What Are Your Favorite Units?

Everyone has a unit or three that really tickles their fancy- something that, beyond all mechanical effectiveness, just appeals to them for reasons not wholly known.

Maybe it was the first unit you ever bought or saw in 40K- the Dreadnought from a Dawn of War video, or a huge battleship drawn to scale with the comparatively-miniscule form of a Star Destroyer next to it. Or maybe it was a unit that you have a really great story behind and ever since just using it on the tabletop brings a glow of memory. Maybe it was a story in a codex that particularly struck a chord with you, or an illustration, or perhaps a unit name. Whatever the cause (known or unknown), most everyone has that one special unit that is dear to their heart.

This is a post to talk about those units, and invite other people to share their own examples.

Shas’la, it’s time to drive it like you stole it!

The Piranha

I’m pretty sure that my love for the Piranha started well before I ever started playing Warhammer. I played Battletech for years before I ever got into “proper” mini wargaming, starting at a very young age, and heavily-armed light ‘mechs had always been something I fancied. Starting with the Locust and many of its variants and eventually the various successor units in later Technical Readouts, culminating in some of the Fire Moth variants and a little beast called the Piranha that was armed to the teeth with machine guns and the biggest engine that could be fit on it.

Cut to my 40K career and the start of my using Tau, during their dubious time during 5E when they were still playing with an outdated codex. One of my earliest lessons in having success with Tau, come from a rather dubious source, was that controlling the enemy’s movement was absolutely critical. With armored transports absolutely everywhere during that edition Tau were well-poised to be able to cripple an opponent’s army quickly with their S7 and S10 firepower… provided they could keep the enemy from getting right in their face and ruining them anyways. Enter the humble Piranha, an obnoxiously-fast vehicle with a large footprint that could be used to grind the enemy advance to a halt and could mount some pretty reasonable weapons on its chassis and came with a pair of Drones whose cost nearly rivaled its own. It was, in short, the 40K equivalent of its Battletech namesake- fast, dangerous at short ranges, and great for harassing slower forces.

Part of it was certainly the unit’s uses, but it was also the unit’s place in a fast, skimmer-based army that I liked so much. Of all the races in 40K, the Tau were the only ones who seemed to have much of any conception of actual warfare and the futuristic lines of their vehicles and battlesuits were a huge contrast to the blocky Imperial tanks. Anime they might be, but hey- anime was cool and the ability to field an army of sleek flying tanks with railguns and lasers was awfully appealing.

The Piranha hasn’t change much over the years, either visually or functionally- it’s cheaper now and has a few tricks up its sleeve, but at its heart it’s still the same little mobile distraction that it was before and I love that. That there’s now a formation for them specifically makes me even happier, even if the ITC’s changes to it make it significantly less effective (since apparently “full strength” means “with half the squad missing” in some languages.) I still run it, however, because being able to slap ten or fifteen Piranhas on the table and use them to harass my opponents to no end is always a great thing.

He just wants hugs…

I started 40K with Tyranids, and to me the Carnifex is still the quintessential Tyranid. It’s bigger than you, nasty as hell, and customizable to do almost anything. It’s not the fightiest critter out there, nor the shootiest, nor the toughest, but even if you beat one there’s a dozen more right behind it and you can’t stop them all. You can’t reason with it, or distract it, or give it pause- it only wants to tear you to pieces and doesn’t give a single damn about anything else that happens to it or around it.

The old 2E Carnifex models also are a big part of why it’s something that I like so much, especially the “Huggafex” (or “Screamer-Killer” if you want to be more correct about it) one- it is, at the same time, both adorable and horrifying. The early models in 40K often don’t stand up well to close examination and the Screamer-Killer is no exception; it’s an ugly hunk of metal with a goofy aesthetic to it and some incredibly annoying joins. Still, for all that, it (and the internet memes it has spawned) still hold a lot of nostalgia for me.

“Sam Hain FOREVER!!!”

Eldar Jetbikes

Alright, hear me out on this one.

When I started the first bits of my Eldar collection after returning to the game, Eldar were not particularly good. This was late 5th Edition (having missed most of 3rd and part of 4th) and Eldar had been on the downslide for a long time at that point. They muddled through early 5E as a spoiler army, but by the time it was reaching its end they had long since ceased to be a competitor. I have always liked playing antagonists (if you couldn’t tell from my selection of xenos races for my first two armies) and Eldar fit nicely into that narrative- not to mention bringing a radically different playstyle than the armies I already owned. So I started to pick up a Jetbike army piece by piece, starting with a few squads and a Farseer and working out from there. It took quite some time, since I was grabbing them piecemeal where I could find deals, but it was fun. The Dark Eldar Reavers kit had just come out and while everyone was a-flutter about the possibility of Eldar getting a similar one (not to be realized for another two editions, sadly) I was more than happy to do a lot of conversion work to replace the “Easy Rider” jetbike models that Eldar had at the time.

Enter 6th edition and the ally system. Suddenly my Eldar were not only a viable addition to other forces without even needing any more models than the two dozen that I had, but they were actually a powerful contributor to many of them thanks to being able to bring cheap squads of scoring units and unique psychic powers. My Grey Knights and Tau were soon both commonly accompanied by a small horde of pastel-shaded speedsters on their flying mounts. Being able to catapult units absurd distances across the table by Turbo-Boosting can throw many opponents off balance all out of proportion with the actual effectiveness of the unit and as time went on and the options for allying continued to increase (and Tau came back into the spotlight as a primary army), they only got better.

Of course in 7th Edition Jetbikes (now termed Windriders) are wholly out of control, but that has just meant getting to field a favorite unit in an actual army rather than only seeing them in casual/local events. I can’t exactly say I’m happy with what GW has done with them, but I also can’t really be sad about it, either, since I get to put them on the table quite a lot. I have even, at various times, gotten to field them alongside a horde of Piranhas which was an absolute delight- however, if/when 8E comes about I’m hoping that they get toned down (one weapon per two or three?) so that people don’t throw a fit about them anymore.

doom scythe

Doom Scythe

Sometimes the reason for liking a unit is complicated and mired in history; sometimes, however, it is not. Such is the case with the Doom Scythe, which starts off strong with a really intimidating name and a pretty cool model and then seals the deal with its weapons: a Tesla Destructor and a freakin’ Death Ray.

How can you not love that? Not just a 1950’s scifi weapon to scorch your enemies with but a homage to the greatest technical genius of the 20th century, all piloted by a robot skelington. Add in the fact that the weapon functioned by a wonderfully evocative “draw a line and your laser hits those guys” mechanic when first released meant that it was basically the most amusing vehicle in 40K for quite a while. Sadly, the 7E update to it is a lot less fun to use, since it’s just a boring ol’ small blast . (There’s still the Forge World Heavy Death Ray for those with a hankerin’, though.)

Those are some of my favorites- what about yours?

About abusepuppy

AbusePuppy is the one who has been ruining 40K for everyone this whole time. He is also searching for the six-fingered man and is one of the three people who know the secret recipe for coke (not the soda, the illegal drug.)

88 Responses to “What Are Your Favorite Units?”

1. zyekian June 28, 2016 6:26 am

Eldar Jetbikes used to be one of my favorite units. Now I feel guilty using them.

Not only that but their 36″+12″ range makes them play more like artillery than fast skirmishers.

2. zyekian June 28, 2016 6:30 am

And they’ve made Eldar players lazy.

3. Vercingatorix June 28, 2016 6:34 am

Ork trukk boys got me into the game. A bunch of big burly orks jumping out of a vehicle and hitting stuff is the most ludicrous solution to fighting in the 41st millennium. Which is sort of reflected in its complete uselessness in the current meta. I had so much fun with that army when I started in 4th edition. It was such a disappointment coming back from a hiatus and trying to play that army and finding it just get steamrolled.

4. Leonix June 28, 2016 7:10 am

Kroot, really like the contrast these guys give the Tau, I really hope one day we will get a good plastic Great Gnarloc kit.

• abusepuppy June 28, 2016 8:38 am

I would love to see a Kroot Mercenaries codex again, or some other smatterings of Tau ally races.

• Leonix June 28, 2016 9:15 am

I just want my T-rex-chickens

• abusepuppy July 1, 2016 1:12 am

You know that ALL chickens are actually t-rex chickens, right? Because of evolution?

• westrider July 1, 2016 3:27 pm

Nah. Some of them are Velociraptor chikkinz

5. Vankraken June 28, 2016 7:12 am

Flash Gitz is one of my favorite units. Absolutely hot garbage at first glance but something about them is both fun and catches people off guard a lot. People see a shooting focused Ork unit and thing “Str 5 gun? That’s nothing to worry about” and they get ignored as those tankbustas and Meganobz are a much more threatening target. Have them ride in a battlewagon and set yourself up in the midfield and you have yourself a dakka bunker that throws out 30 dice of potentially armor melting shooting that can be BS3. Once their done melting a squad they then get attention but people underestimate that they are Nobz which means they aren’t chumps in CC (at least when compared to boyz)

By no means are they tournament viable but they are quite comparable to shoota boyz in a number of ways. Works actually quite well in my Blitz Brigade lists as that Scout move gives the ability to sit in a stationary transport turn 1 while being in firing range of the enemy front like. You can also take a killkannon on their battlewagon and still fit the entire squad inside. They do a number on MEQs and bikes basically have to jink them because not doing so means they risk you rolling low AP and melting them.

• Calle June 29, 2016 6:46 am

How can anyone not love space pirate orks with flashy gunz 😀 I bought Badrukks Flash Gitz a year ago, or is it two? I’m holding out on painting them until I get better with the airbrush, because these models really deserve a good paintjob! Fun to hear that you get them to work in games! I don’t play competetive games, but I hope they are better than my kommandoz

6. Ragnulf June 28, 2016 7:13 am

Vanguard Veterans with Jump packs. Sure, they get shot up a lot, and there’s plenty of melee units in the game they really don’t want any part of, but they get cheap power weapons, are cool models, and occasionally get to turn a unit into paste.

• David June 28, 2016 11:59 am

I don’t play Space Marines, but every time I think about playing them the two units that appeal to me are Vanguard Veterans and Storm Talons.

• abusepuppy July 1, 2016 1:13 am

I’m definitely glade they made VV a lot better this time around- I liked them when they were in BA and could reliably assault off of Deep Strikes, but the new version is also pretty solid (and has some nice formations for it.)

7. Blight1 June 28, 2016 7:23 am

Meganobz are my favorite Ork unit. Best TEQ in my opinion. Better fluff and look than terminators and I love termies.
    Honorable mention to flash gitz for their amazing models.

Possessed are my favorite CSM unit. So much you can do with the models. Word Bearers is my army so these guys are a must for fluff. Gol Vorbak every day.

• Blight1 June 28, 2016 11:32 am

Oh also everything ad mech. They were my dream army so when GW finally gave them a codex I nearly died from excitement.
      Tech priest though gets top spot with rangers coming up 2nd place.

8. Dakkath June 28, 2016 7:31 am

Crisis Suits. They were my first fave when I started this game in 5th. It has been a rough ride. Psyfleman dreads, uneducated fearmongering, and now scatbikes outperforming them 2 to 1 point per point.

Tyranid warriors. They look cool, have tons of options, are synapse critters in troops, and have multiple wounds. But, they’re only t4 4+, no movement options, no a, very short range on all the guns except the one artillery piece. So, they sadly don’t live up to expectations.

9. Blackferret June 28, 2016 7:49 am

For me it’s the Striking Scorpions. There something so aesthetically pleasing about them. That and the fact that they are the space elf equivalent of predator.

• David June 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Me too! Love the scorpions.

10. Threllen June 28, 2016 8:19 am

I started playing Tyranids so I have to go with Gargoyles and Mawlocs/Trygons. Nothing cooler than swarms of winged monsters or giant worms bursting from the ground.

I’m sad I sold my Nids sometimes because my favorite conversion is still the Harpy I converted from a Trygon body by using a blow torch to mold the tail into a straighter line and then using various other bits for the wings/head/arms.

11. greggles June 28, 2016 8:31 am

Deff Dreads!!!!!

12. joe June 28, 2016 8:35 am

I like Logan Grimnar. Although I would never use him in a match. Cool model. Also the StormWolf. Great flyer.

13. Arrias117 June 28, 2016 8:43 am

Raveners. Raveners 4 ever. I crossed over into Tyranids due to a love of the Zerg from the original Starcraft. In that, I loved zerglings and hydralisks. If I could run a viable list spamming the crap out of raveners and hormogaunts, I’d never play anything else ever again.

• Threllen June 28, 2016 8:57 am

I think I vaguely remember an apocalypse formation that was very similar to the Subterranean Swarm except it only required a single Trygon (not a prime, a Trygon, and a Mawloc) and I think the Raveners were allowed to assault the turn they came up near the Trygon.

That would make them a dang good unit.

• westrider June 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Yeah, there was one. The Trygon was a GC back then, too, I think.

14. Jedper77 June 28, 2016 9:28 am

Eldar jetbikes because they look cool first and most. Vanguard Veterans has a special place in my hearth and third is Cerastus knights and the scout warhound, robots are darn cool.

15. Blue June 28, 2016 10:05 am

Crisis suits were the reason I wanted to play Tau… lots and lots of suits… Now I can field a whole army of suits….

16. Duh_Ruckus June 28, 2016 10:31 am

My favorite are the wulfen, themetic they are werewolves in space what is not to love about that, on top of that they come with a ton of fun rules, that make them and their ally interesting, they are close combat monsters. My favorite moments are a lone wulfen charges a squad of marines and gets killed and in a death frenzy takes the squad with him.

17. Requizen
    Requizen June 28, 2016 11:04 am

I’ve always loved Necron Destroyers. I used them quite a bit last edition when they were mediocre at best, and I love using them now that they’re actually good!

• abusepuppy June 28, 2016 7:51 pm

It’s really hard to argue with a Destroyer Cult. Plus, you can slap it down alongside a bunch of Tau suits and have an army of JSJing shooty assholes!

18. Chris June 28, 2016 11:08 am

My favorites have to be the squiggoths, the orkanauts and other ork walkers, and the burnaboyz. Burning buddies to watch them dance is pretty funny.

• Loofanator June 28, 2016 12:44 pm

Gotta love burna boyz. The cigars are on point!

19. Cephalobeard June 28, 2016 11:09 am

I first fell in love with my Y’vahra.

I just fucking love Scions. Everything about them, their look is perfect to me.

20. David June 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Karandras. And Striking Scorpions.

I win a lot of games using Karandras. He is vastly underrated. He kills anything he gets into base contact with. And if you build the rest of your army right and deploy well, then you can force your opponent into choosing between getting rid of him or getting rid of the other threats. Usually, the first time someone plays me they ignore him. Probably they’re thinking: how bad can it be? The second time they focus too much on him and get taken by the Dark Reapers, Fire Dragons, and such.

21. Petey Pab
    PeteyPab June 28, 2016 12:41 pm

I love a lot of the named independant character models. Valeria, Draigo, Lilith, Calgar…. They drive the narrative for me the hardest.

22. Loofanator June 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Stealth suits. I love stealth suits. The whole concept/models are awesome.

I’m still hoping for a Shadowsun supplement that makes them troops the same way farsight does for crisis.

• abusepuppy June 28, 2016 7:53 pm

I was kinda sad that there wasn’t an “all stealth” formation that gave you Stealth suits, Ghostkeels, Sniper Drones, and Shadowsun all in one package. I mean, Ghostkeel Wing and Optimized Stealth Cadre are both good formations so it’s hard to complain too much, but…

• Loofanator June 30, 2016 3:56 am

That wouls be great! I’ve tried to make all stealth lists before (shadowsun giving it to any 1 unit helps) but it can be a challenge.

Remora stealth drones are fun though!

• abusepuppy July 1, 2016 1:14 am

I also love that Remoras are Drones, and thus benefit from the +1BS in the Drone Network formation.

Too bad that IA14/16 isn’t out yet with a way to stick Remoras/Tetras/Hazards into a Tau decurion, though.

23. Jural June 28, 2016 12:51 pm

I love Noise Marines, Khorne Berserkers, Dreadnoughts, Defilers, Zoanthropes, Genestealers, and Jump infantry.

Except for the Defiler and Dreadnoughts, these were pretty competitive pieces when I started playing, and I just loved using them. Now? Well, I will use them because I like the models and the memories 😉

I’m also partial to hive Tyrants and Demon princes, but who isn’t?

• abusepuppy June 28, 2016 7:53 pm

Noise Marines are rad- MEEDLEY MEEDLEY MOOWWWWWWWW and then someone’s head explodes.

• Threllen June 29, 2016 5:08 am

I really hope a new Noise Marine kit brings them back to the old Noise Marines. Bring back my guitar guns!!!

• abusepuppy June 29, 2016 8:04 am

There are several different 3rd-party manufacturers of guitars scaled for Noise Marines, if you look around.

• punchymango June 29, 2016 9:06 am

Kromlech makes really nice noise marine shoulderpads/heads. Just sayin’.

• Threllen June 29, 2016 10:11 am

Maxmini has some pretty decent ones, but most of them I can find are just normal guitars (not guitar guns). They’re pretty spendy either way.

• Jural June 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Seriously, the new kits make them look like some sort of plasma weapon? Also, rules which don’t suck would be nice. The salvo rule made these guys useless (if you take the sonic weapons)

24. xthexclincherx June 28, 2016 1:03 pm

Heavy bolter-wielding Devastators.

After getting into the table top gaming scene thanks to Dawn of War II, and seeing Avitus’ unit swinging those bad boys around, laying down suppressing fire, who could not love them!

Plus, slap in a Cataphractii Terminator Captain and they can actually function out of a pod like in the game – a true win!

25. Michael Corr
    corrm June 28, 2016 2:05 pm

The good old Land Raider. A massive model on the table and a kit that looks just as good as when it was first released many, many years ago.

The ultimate 40k tank that rarely sees play these days thanks to grav, bright lances, etc.

• Vercingatorix June 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Seriously, it used to be impregnable. Now I’m unsure which tool in my army will kill it first.

• abusepuppy June 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Really it’s Grav and Destroyer that are the doom of the Land Raider these days, although melta does it no favors, either. I can’t actually remember the last time I saw someone bring a Bright Lance, so it’s hard to call that a culprit.

• Vercingatorix June 29, 2016 7:35 am

Yeah, kind of like blaming global warming on increasing economic activity without externalizations factored in and also its Iceland’s fault.

26. punchymango June 28, 2016 3:52 pm

Chaos Space Marines. They’re what got me into the faction, the bitter, vengeful legionnaires who decided it was better to reign in hell than serve in heaven. Superhuman warriors fueled by unending hate and wounded pride, with the powers of the dark gods running through them. Veterans of ten millennia of unholy war.

Who are, of course, statted to be worse than loyalists in literally all ways, and that was before they became yet more victims of the grav-ocracy.

27. westrider June 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Soooo many. There’s a reason I’ve ended up with so much 40K stuff over the years. So much of it just has so much cool factor. I’m totally with you on the Fex and Doom Scythe, for much the same reasons. DOOOOOOM!

The RT Noise Marines were another Unit that got me into the Game, along with that first Fex. Unfortunately, I found they were OOP by the time I was playing, even tho they were still on some of the promo material.

More and more Nids, as they’ve been redesigned and unified more over the years. Nid Warriors are one of my all-time faves, in terms of Models and Fluff, and I really miss 4th Ed when they could actually be somewhat effective in a variety of Roles.

Over the last couple of years, I’ve been getting more and more into fast Assault Units like TWC, Flesh Hounds, and MaulerFiends. They’re not all the most effective, but running bunches of them makes for fast, non-pushover Armies that are very fun to play for me.

Finally for now, with possibly the greatest gap of any between my excitement for them and what we actually got Rules-wise, Electro-Priests. Their description in the Codex Imperialis was so badass, a bunch of dudes all hopped up on electricity who could block lasers and rip apart tanks with it, and would literally fight until they passed out. And then we got…well, what we got. Not much more than Guardsmen, for triple the price.

28. Sierbhann June 28, 2016 4:29 pm

The Crimson Hunters’ Nightshade Interceptor. Out of my entire collection of Space Elves, they’re my favorites, from the moment they came out. Great studio paint scheme, and they just look fast. Somehow the Hemlock seems kinda clumsy-looking, even though the basic model is the same.

29. Karvala June 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Squiggoths – Big and Gargantuan.
    I loved the old 50 point versions of the big squiggoths – yeah they were slow and died easily, but you could field a herd of them along with a Gargantuan Squiggoth. Since they upped them to 180 points and they are still slow and die easily (but slightly less so) they are just flat out terrible.

30. AngryPanda June 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Flayed Ones. There are so many moments they can let you down. But then they work they reaaaly work. It’s just such a great feeling to have a dedicated close combat unit that actualy does well at it once it gets there. And rolling all those dice with all those rerolls (and seeing the other players face then I pick them all up) is just great.

• Vercingatorix June 28, 2016 7:14 pm

One of my favorite match ups was my 3+ fnp green tide with hammerhand off vs 30 flayed ones. It was a 10 minute fiasco every assault phase and was awesome.

• Blight1 June 29, 2016 3:03 am

How do you get 3+ fnp on a green tide?

• Vercingatorix June 29, 2016 5:03 am

hitting them with a tzeentch beam from my own guys.

• Blight1 June 29, 2016 6:32 am

Sneaky git.
            Love the idea though not sure it’s legal. Should be though if it isn’t.

• abusepuppy June 29, 2016 8:05 am

It’s totally legal, there was a tournament report on the list a while back.

• Threllen June 29, 2016 10:12 am

It was legal before GW butchered the Ghazghkull supplement. Now the only reason its not legal is because you can’t even make the Green tide anymore.

31. fluger June 28, 2016 7:28 pm

My favorite unit doesn’t exist anymore: Ork Boarboyz. With the big red button! They are literally the thing that got me into 40k back in 2nd edition.

The other thing that grabbed my fancy? Ogryns. Always have loved them, but they’ve been garbage since their 2nd ed glory days.

My 3rd favorite unit is probably Striking Scorpions. I have always loved their style and panache.

• abusepuppy June 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Close combat much, friend? 😛

Scorpions are pretty cool, I gotta admit. But if you like Ogryn, just run Bullgryn in their place- they are surprisingly good when used right.

• fluger June 29, 2016 8:43 am

Talk to me about Bullgryns. How?

• abusepuppy June 29, 2016 4:21 pm

T5, 3+ armor (when they stand next to each other), three wounds apiece, and a not unreasonable price tag means they make an excellent wall of meat- they shrug off anything short of a Demolisher Cannon pretty easily. You need a Priest or Lord Commissar to babysit squads due to their shoddy morale, but that’s not all bad- you kinda want a Priest for the rerolls anyways. Remember you get your 3+ armor anytime you’re basing another model in the same unit, even in close combat- take good advantage of that.

Don’t underestimate the value of that +1 cover save for being obscured by a Bullgryn, either- it stacks with all other kinds of cover saves, meaning it’s easy to achieve 4+ or 3+ cover for a unit with it. And Bullgryn are large enough to obscure basically anything but a flyer. The Rampart Detachment from Sanctus Reach: Red Waaagh is also handy here, since it gives you _another_ +1 cover save for infantry units behind them; that’s an easy 3+ save in the open or 2+ in a ruin.

Bullgryn’s may not hit particularly hard in combat (and their shooting is pretty trashy), but they are insanely tough to kill in most cases, even without bonuses from another source (FNP, Shrouded, etc)- they’re most everything that Ogryn should be.

• westrider June 30, 2016 3:31 pm

I’ve only gone up against them once, but I was very surprised in that instance at how durable they are. Figured my KDK JuggerLord and Spawn would just jump in there, take them out, and then leapfrog on to something else, but nope. Ended up stuck in there for most of the rest of the Game thanks to the re-rolls on Saves from their Priest.

I just wish they could get the Power Mauls without giving up the Slab Shields.

32. Axis of Entropy June 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Great positive comment thread!

Ruststalkers have the best model; I’m a sucker for gasmasks and the whole Fallout-esque dieselpunk aesthetic they’ve got going on. And I’m terrified by the mental image of a spidery relentless cyborg killing machine.

They just need a cheap assault transport to be viable.

33. Josh June 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Death Company.

They got me into 40k sixteen years ago. Sanity shattered, they have JUST enough presence of mind to die loyally, and they get to do it at the side of or in the guise of their Primarch.

Death Company armies are fun, too. If we win, we win, but if we die to a man, well, that was the plan all along, so we win.

34. Gman June 28, 2016 11:09 pm

Catachan Jungle fighters for sure. Awesome models, great fluff and competitive rules.

I always field 30-40 of these bad boys.

35. Vipoid June 29, 2016 4:55 am

Mine is the Corsair Prince – mainly because I really like the melding of fluff and rules (only thing that saddens me is that he doesn’t have the option for a Jump Pack). Also, as a long-time DE player, it’s nice to have a Dark Eldar-y HQ that I’m not ashamed to spend points on.

I also like Malevolents, even if their rules are utter arse.

Model wise, Mandrakes are my favourite and I’ve used them to create a couple of HQ models (including one for the aforementioned Corsair Prince).

In general though, my favourite models are the ones I converted myself: The winged-mandrake Corsair Prince, a Mandrake-sorcerer thing (currently used as a Void Seer), a Necron Destroyer Lord with the normal lower half replaced by mechanical tentacles, Malevolents made from head-swapped Wyches with Hellion Skyboards strapped to their backs, Grotesques made from Ogrun Warspears and DE bits, a bio-organic Triarch Stalker made from a CCB and Tyranid bits etc.

36. PrimoFederalist June 29, 2016 5:16 am

Grey Hunters despite their nerf. I love the idea of a pack living and fighting together since they joined the chapter as Blood Claws. They’re just salty vets in their prime who know exactly how they fit into the pack as a unit and in battle que off their pheromones and instinct (thank the Emperor for splicing in the Canis Helix).

On the table top, I loved their penchant for close-range firefighting coupled with their ability to assault or be assaulted after whittling the enemy down. The CCW nerf has made them much less competitive, but I still take them in droves over the awful Thunderwolves (and started at the end of 2nd, so all the TW nonsense is an affront to my Fenrisian sensibilities).

37. Nurglitch June 29, 2016 6:19 am

I love vast hordes of Termagants. There’s something about the way all their tails and whatnot work together to make them into something like a school of fishes.

38. Calle June 29, 2016 6:55 am

1: I really love painboys. Mad doks who uses “extreme dentistry” to get paid by their customers is so sick and fun at the same time. The patient might not even get the surgery needed, but and exploding leg or a squig for a brain instead 😀 They are of course a very good boost for all ork units as well. If it was possible and they were cheaper we would probably see them in every unit.

2: The Big mek with an Shock attack gun of course! Teleporting warp-crazedsnotlings inside a terminatours armour is probably the funniest weapon in all 40k!

Flash gitz, Burnaboys and Squiggoths are some of my favorites as well. Even the ork flyers have fun fluff about them 🙂

• abusepuppy July 1, 2016 1:16 am

I really miss the only SAG table. The new one isn’t _awful_, but too many of the really cool results were turned into something less interesting and too many of them are penalties (rather than bonuses) now. But I guess you can wear it with Mega-Armor, at least?

• westrider July 1, 2016 3:33 pm

The first time I ever ran up against a Shokk Attack Gun is one of my favorite 40K moments. The Rules were ludicrously over-detailed then, so when the thing nailed one of my Termies, the result was that the snotlings ending up inside him caused him to start thrashing around more or less at random, and he spent the rest of the Game wandering around randomly and shooting at whatever was directly ahead of him.

39. Horton June 29, 2016 7:09 am

The Bloodthirster is by far my favorite model. I loved the old metal one. It is what got me to play a chaos army. Now, seeing the new plastic kit I am blown away. I LOVE the new plastic Bloodthirster model. I have 4 and am going for 8! That model is a huge facfor in why I play KDK.

40. Bryan June 29, 2016 8:26 am

I love Tau stealth suits, not great on the table, although the OSC makes them okay. The little brothers Tau of suits.

Pity about their toughness value though, st4 in assault, but t3 on a 30 point model?! A five point drop and that stat switched around would go a long way.

I also quite like Legion Of the Damned, cool and fluffy rules. Quite good as a unit, somewhere between very good, but falling just short of great, if they could roll for their reserve rolls from turn one…now that would make them pretty darn spicy!

41. Demorte June 29, 2016 10:37 am

Rhinos are my absolute Favorite unit! And Assault Marines

42. Juggernut June 29, 2016 11:11 am

Lord on Juggernaut with Axe of Blind Fury.

• abusepuppy June 29, 2016 4:23 pm

The Axe of Blinding fury is probably one of the best-designed relics in the game. It’s fun, it’s interesting, it fits perfectly in its faction, its downsides are relevant without being crippling, and it’s priced such that it’s a thing that you want to actually take.

43. W June 29, 2016 12:11 pm

I love the standard Guardsman en masse, just a wave of lasguns moving forwards.

Hell Blades, Quad Launchers and Sicaran Tanks are great too, awesome models and solid in-game.

44. Deviousdonut June 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Shrikes with lash whip and bone sword. Just picturing how terrifying they’d be in person on the battlefield

45. Lord Krungharr June 29, 2016 5:01 pm

For looks I love Warp Talons with my skull heads on them. They scream evil Chaos ready to shred up everyone in their sights! But if actual gameplay is included in the criteria I vote for my huge converted “Thunderwulfen” thunderwolf Lord, with fist and claw, Armor of Russ and Helm of Durfast. Looks badass and kicks all asses!

• abusepuppy July 1, 2016 1:16 am

The Warp Talon kit is one of the coolest Marine kits around. It comes with a crapload of really cool stuff in it, and if you build Warp Talons with it you can use the Raptor parts to spice up your CSM.

• westrider July 1, 2016 3:35 pm

Getting to take advantage of the Warp Talon/Raptor kit is another reason I’m doing a Raven Guard Counts-As with my Alpha Legion.

46. Mirthless June 30, 2016 3:33 am

Mine is definently Astorath the Grim. He has destroyed so many unsuspecting heroes with his axe. Too bad, he sometimes just doest make it to combat. 🙁

47. Mike June 30, 2016 7:11 am

The Seraphim of the Sororitas. I really like the gunslinger aesthetic and the jet pack.

As far as rules go, they’re an effective suicide unit and decent at skirmishing around distant objectives. Unfortunately, the sisters only have a handful of units to choose from, so they take everything they can get.

48. ryan bridges June 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Khorne Berzerkers, Mauler fiends, Juggerlord and the Kytan…Only two of which is competitive at the moment lol