Signals from the Frontline #418

Join us for the live show on Twitch at 11am PST by following this link.

Show Notes

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at 20% off! Hit us up for your next gaming order at or visit our webstore at

• We’re looking for feedback on our Twitch stream, if you have a few minutes and wouldn’t mind giving us your opinion, we’d appreciate it. Click here for the brief survey.

• Hawk posts pictures of painted Dropfleet Commander minis!

dfc1 dfc2 dfc3 dfc4

• Space Wolves for Horus Heresy on the way and of course, they look incredible.

sw1 sw2

• Kromlech releases Legionary Gravity Cannons.

• New Dracothian Guard models available for Age of Sigmar, and much more, all available from Frontline Gaming at up to 25% off!

Slider Mar18 Dragon

• New Warzone miniatures coming out, the Varg Riders for the Imperial Faction.

Upcoming ITC Events

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

• Rumors of a Space Marine day in the future, potentially with some free Space Marine goodies?
  • More rumors coming out about a potential points system for Age of Sigmar.
  • New Khorne Bloodbound hero miniatures spotted.

Rant Session

Tactics Corner

Rules Lawyer

• Continued Ork Green Tide discussion.

Completed Commissions

• Rangers 60
  • Wraithguard 210
  • -D-scythes
  • Wave Serpent 110

Dark Eldar Allies 350

• Archon 140
  • -Webway portal, shadowfield, haywire grenade
  • Warriors 105
  • -Venom, added splinter cannon
  • Warriors 105
  • -Venom, added splinter cannon

Eldar Corsairs Allies 305

• Void Dreamer 90
  • -Mastery 3
  • Cloud Dancers 90
  • -x3, scatter lasers
  • Nightwing 125

The plan if to for the archon and wraithguard to deepstrike on a deathstar or Superheavy. I’m I’m against Tau I’ll put them inside the Waver serpent so they can survive and get there. Or, if I get lucky I can suffle them across the board with the Void dreamer. (I’d have to put the Void dreamer in the unit which isn’t something I want to do)

The Void dreamer will roll on Aethermancy and move close with the Rangers, ideally it will screw with the opponent, I’m particularly fond of sending things into reserve.

The Cloud dancers can outflank if they need too to surround knights or something.

Besides that, Scatbikes and WraithKnights are good. Venoms are good. And the warriors can can hop out and grab objectives.

Lastly, the Night wing is crazy sick.

And, here is Aethermancy in case you don’t have the book.

Primaris: Path-Ward: WC2 Blessing. The target unit always rolls sixes for randomly determined movement effects, like Charge distances, Terrain checks, Hit-and-Run moves etc.

(Only works on Corsairs so kind of useless.)

1 Warp Blink WC1 Move any unit within 6″ of the caster friendly or enemy 2d6″ in a direction you choose. Cannot be used on units locked in combat. (doesn’t say anything about not allowing assault.)

2 Dispersion Field WC1 Blessing. A friendly corsair unit within 12″ of the caster gains a 4+ cover save.

(Would probably only be used on self or the nightwing. Would let the rangers have 2+ cover in the open)

3 Webway Rift WC1 Witchfire. 12″ S3 AP6, Poisoned 3+ Large Blast.

4 Webway Breach WC2 Select one friendly Corsair unit not locked in combat within 12″ of the caster, that unit enters Ongoing Reserves.

(if I got it and wanted too, I could put the Void Dreamer with the Wraithguard to bounce them back into reserves to get a second drop on something.)

5 Warp Tunnel WC2 Blessing. A friendly Corsair unit within 6″ of the caster may be picked up and Deep Strike anywhere on the board without scatter and may shoot and charge as usual. But. For every 6″ they move roll a D6 and on a 1 they take a wound, saves can be taken as normal.

6 Webway Maze WC3 An enemy unit with 12″ of the caster, not locked in combat, is placed into Ongoing Reserves (cannot target Super-Heavy vehicles). Other Corsairs, DE, Eldar, or Harlequins add +1 to their Deny attempts when targeted.

And then Corsairs have a unique perils table.

1 Devoured: The psykers becomes a Slaanesh daemon. They get all the rules associated with Daemon of Slaanesh and are now under the control of your opponent.

2-3 Soul Wracked: your psyker and his unit are pinned, and your opponent may choose to change the target of the power that was cast.

4-5 Warp Terrors: The unit and all Corsairs within 12″ must take a Morale check on the worst two dice of 3d6 or start falling back.

6 The Eye of She-Who-Thirsts: Nothing happens straight away, but for the rest of the game your psykers now perils on any double

List 2

• Chaos lord with Mark of Slaaneh, sigil of corruption, power weapon, melta bombs & plasma pistol- 140
  • Daemon prince with Daemon of Slaanesh, ML-3 & wings- 270
  • Noise Marines(6) with 5 Sonic blasters & 1 Blaster master in Rhino- 192
  • Noise Marines(6) with 5 Sonic blasters & 1 Blaster master in Rhino- 192
  • Noise Marines(6) with 5 Sonic blasters & 1 Blaster master in Rhino- 192
  • Noise Marines(6) with 5 Sonic blasters & 1 Blaster master in Rhino- 192
  • Chaos Hell blade with Helstom autocannons-115
  • Chaos Hell blade with Helstom autocannons-115
  • Chaos Hell blade with Helstom autocannons-115
  • Emperor’s Children sonic Dreadnought, blast master & warp amp-190
  • Chaos relic sicaran battle tank-135
  • 1848

looking to make this better without losing the theme of Slaaesh army.

17 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline #418”

1. Adam
    Adam ( March 21, 2016 11:17 am

Those new Grav Cannon bits are awesome, but they come in a pack of 3, which is pretty obnoxious, haha.

Reecius March 21, 2016 11:42 am

The Kromlech versions? Haha, hey, still a good price.

• Adam
        Adam ( March 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Not to mention they look better than the GW ones! No marines firing oversized shoeboxes.

2. Codi March 21, 2016 12:31 pm

I don’t know how the best way to handle the Green Tide “issue”

As a Ork player I would like to be allowed to simply choose which version of the Great Waagh supplement I want use when making an army list. I am sad that the Green Tide is gone but it is also frustrating that I don’t have easy access to the relics in the book anymore.

I do get why other armies would feel it is unfair to allow Orks players to use an old book.

Reecius March 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Yeah, exactly, and therein lays the problem.

• Adam
      Adam ( March 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Can I pick which version of the Chaos Marine codex to use? Why would one army get to use out of print sources but not everyone else?

• abusepuppy March 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Yeah, while I feel bad for Orks and losing their formation, given that the new book has the same name (something I didn’t realize at first -_-) I don’t think there’s really much argument for them being able to use it beyond “but I want to!” Unless there’s a really good reason to, we shouldn’t be making Special Unique Snowflake exceptions for armies in ITC.

• Adam
          Adam ( March 23, 2016 9:48 am

GW Revises things, it’s not a big deal, people just need to accept it and move on… Remember what the Transcendent C’tan used to be? I’m sure there are still necrons with rusty tears over that one!

3. z3n1st March 21, 2016 12:44 pm

you need a prince in the corsair list

Corsair detachments must include a prince

Reecius March 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Good catch, I forgot about that.

• Plainshow March 22, 2016 4:37 am

Isn’t the mandatory Prince also required to be Warlord? Can you take a Prince in an Allied Detachment and ignore that rule, or would he be allowed to be the Warlord despite the restriction on an Allied Detachment?

4. Hotsauceman1 March 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Here is my opinion on why the Tide should not be let in
    1: Supplements are just like codexes, they get updated, and the than anything gone, is gone.
    2: If we allow orks an exception just because it is orks(Honestly, a silly point, all armies should be treated equally in the eyes of orginizers) why is is just orks?
    3: Tons of stuff get left behind in the old codexes, Marbo, Wazdakka, Numerous other units and so forths.
    Really, treating orks as special when they are the weakest if show favoritism IMO. “You get this cause your in rought spot, but you dont, cause of D”

• abusepuppy March 21, 2016 9:21 pm

And Orks aren’t even the weakest army- DE, SoB, BA, and others are almost certainly weaker overall, especially with the bones that have already been thrown to Orks (like the Stompa.) If we’re going to change the rules to prop up armies, I’m pretty sure that those other ones should be getting changes first.

5. MIke March 21, 2016 7:03 pm

I believe those Space Wolves Terminators are just a reissue not for 30k as 30k you dont have the crux terminatus. if you guys caught that in the podcast I apologize in advance I have yet to listen to the stream yet

6. xthexclincherx March 22, 2016 4:45 am

In regards to the Ork formation.. it’s a shame they are losing it, especially because there is something with the same name to replace it… I WOULD have originally voted to allow it, but then I thought to myself “what if there is a new ‘Adamantine Lance’ formation that is a real stinker… then everyone is gonna want to use the OLD powerful one…” so with that in mind, no, sadly, I think it’s just gone and we have to live with that.

FWIW I JUST started building a Green Tide a few months ago… so yeah… I’m screwed too 🙁 (and I hate trukks so I won’t be making the jump)

7. Happy_Inquisitor March 22, 2016 10:19 am

The idea of trying to exclude non-interaction seems OK but there comes a point where you have to ask who you are to exclude and why.

The example you gave was Corsairs not interacting with KDK, How about flyers not interacting with KDK – there are a couple of valid ways to produce a pure air-cavalry list should they be banned for not interacting with a KDK list? It seems to me that the non-shooting KDK list is the more extreme skew list as it simply does not function in two phases of the game. Why is that not the one under the spotlight, or perhaps why do we not just let it struggle in poor match-ups for being such an extreme list choice?

Similarly for the Raven Guard units that can choose to fail their reserves until turn 4 to stay off the table vs the Tau Piranha formation that can cycle into ongoing reserves to achieve the same thing. Why is one ruled out and not the other?

I can actually see where you might be going with this but it seems to me that it needs a little time for reflection and thought and then carefully pushing through in a consistent manner. As things are it seems a little patchy and reactive and probably does not achieve what you want to achieve.

Reecius March 22, 2016 10:47 am

Fair points, but I think your logic doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. Or perhaps I should say, your specific examples do not.

For flyers, no assault unit can assault a flyer, so it’s a bit moot, nor can most flyers take or hold objectives without making themselves vulnerable to assault in the process by dropping into hover mode (if they are even able to). In this instance, any unit that wants to assault is being denied that on average dice (assuming your are 1″ away from the target) if you’re a few inches away from the Corsair unit, you literally cannot assault them. That is truly non-interactive and not just for KDK or Orks or Nids whom I listed as examples, but for any army that cannot extend their charge range by some means.

And yes, some armies like Raven Guard have some units that can stay off the table, but they are not interacting with units on the table at the same time, such as the Pirhana formation does. It can be frustrating, sure, but as melee units (Shadowstrike Kill Team is the only formation I can think of that does this) there is questionable benefit to doing this in a format with progressive objectives. Most players would be happy to see Vanguard Vets not appearing on the table till turn 4 in most instances, although I am sure we could imagine a circumstance when that could be beneficial.

A formation such as the Tau version though, wants to stay off the table while contributing firepower to the game but being unable to be targeted in return and then go for objectives end of game. It really is apples and oranges in this case, despite having some similar attributes.

Now, hair splitting aside, the end result of any actions like this will always be subjective. You may see some of these as negative, or questionably implemented and that is both fair and your prerogative. However, we only even consider these types of changes when we will the situation really calls for it. Where that line in the sand is drawn will often depend on the perspective of the observer.