Signals from the Frontline #379

Show Notes

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at 20% off! Hit us up for your next gaming order at or visit our webstore at

• ITC 3rd Quarter Poll results are in!
    • Forge World experimental rules?
      • Yes, let them in: 877
      • No, do not: 388
    • Allow the Tau Stormsurge to be taken in units per RAW?
      • Yes, allow them in units of 1 to 3: 737
      • No, limit them to units of 0 to 1: 524
    • Treat Blood Angels, Space Wolves and Dark Angels to have Chapter Tactics when they combine with units of Space Marines?
      • Yes, have them cancel out Chapter Tactics: 589
      • No, leave it RAW: 663

• Get your pre-orders in for the new Ghostkeel! Wow, that model is the hawtness! Send them to: or call in: 1-888-781-5120
  • Puppet’s War reveal some new alternate heads for 28mm models, and they look pretty slick!

• Wyrd’s preview for the week is the new Guild Hound!

• Infinity resculpt and updated rules for Airborne Ranger Captain Van Zant.

• Toughest Girls in the Galaxy post pics of Kraash and the Beasts.

• New Retribution unit, the House Vyre Electromancers.

• Interesting KickStarter going at present for a unique looking game: Panzerfauste, a fantasy, alternate WWII game.

Upcoming ITC Events

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

• New Firewarriors are rumored to come with 10 to a box, a DS8 turret, 2 Drones, and the Strike Teams can have either  pulse Rifle or Carbine and the Breachers have Pulse Blasters. And yeah, they look awesome.
  • Campaign book rumored to be coming out for Tau, too!
  • Tidewall Rampart is the awesome new Tau Terrain kit we’ve been seeing floating around the web. It comes with a twin-linked Rail Gun, 4 detachable Drones, and defensive lasers. They come as a terrain formation or can be used individually.
  • The rumored new Burning Dawn Tau box set also comes with a new Ethereal and the Space Marine Shadowforce boxed set comes with a new Captain.

Rant Session

• Tau Supremecy suit: definitely not a Titan =P

Tactics Corner

Rules Lawyer

• C Gaillard asks: does my fortification benefit from the War Convocation “free stuff” rule?
    • This one has been coming up a lot, will definitely need to address it in the FAQ. We’re going to have to go no on this one as otherwise it would benefit from other special rules too, such as getting scouts and other silly things.
  • Thorn Walker asks: If I take a flyer in the Ravenwing Strike Force detachment, then must everything go into reserves and if so, do I automatically lose the game turn 1?
    • Yes to both.
  • Thorn Walker also asks: if I take a Land Raider dedicated transport for a Deathwing unit in the Deathwing Strike Force detachment, does this mean they must Deep Strike as well? If this is my only detachment, do I automatically lose the game on turn 1 as everything is in reserves? If I take Characters that are Deathwing that do not have Deep Strike, do they gain it in this detachment or can I not take them?
    • Yes, yes and yes.
  • Can the Blood Oathe Campaign formations be used in the ITC?
  • B Berman says: I think you guys are wrong on how you read the mastery level and number of psychic powers you can cast issue, dependent does not mean equal to.
    • Sure, dependent does not mean equal to, but in what other way do you define determined by? Any reasonable person will look at that and assume a 1 to 1 ratio. Dependent upon does not mean equal to but that is closer to the case than saying there is no relationship at all or infinite being the dependency.
  • B Vaun asks: Does the Sanctuary Heirloom combined with the High King of the Exalted Court result in a 3++ Ion Shield and a 5++ on all other facings?
    • Yes, and would combine with something like Forewarning as well, if available.

Completed Commissions

List Review

1850 point list: Dark Angels CAD + Dark Angels Librarius Conclave

RW Strike Force

Interrogator Chaplain on bike with Auspex and Eye of the Unseen.

RW Bike Squad [3] with 2 Flamers.

RW Bike Squad [3] with 2 Meltaguns.

RW Darkshroud with Assault Cannon.

RW Command Squad [5] with Champion, Apothecary with RW Missile Launcher.

Techmarine with Servo-harness.

Scout Squad [5] with Camo Cloaks and Sniper Rifles.

Tactical Squad [5] with 1 Lascannon.

Devastator Squad [5] with 4 ML with Flakk and Armorium Cherub.

DW Knights [5].

Land Raider Redeemer with Multi-melta and Extra Armour.

DA Librarius Conclave

Ezekiel (Interromancy).

Librarian (Interromancy) on bike, Level 2 with Mace of Redemption.

Librarian (Divination) on bike, Level 2 with Foe-Smiter.

29 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline #379”

1. Ihaverabies October 12, 2015 9:45 am #

Sorry for asking this I know you must get this often and i’ve heard the answer often, but for some bloody reason I forgot the E-mail adress. Could anyone remind me where I can send in my list for review? Maybe add it to the show notes to prevent questions like this?

2. winterman October 12, 2015 9:55 am #

“Treat Blood Angels, Space Wolves and Dark Angels to have Chapter Tactics when they combine with units of Space Marines?
    Yes, have them cancel out Chapter Tactics: 663
    No, leave it RAW: 524”

Do we have the exact wording of how this will work defined yet? And will this be updated in the ITC FAQ soon? Have an event I organize on the 24th so want to have as much info on this as possible.

Reecius October 12, 2015 11:08 am #

Sorry for the typo, I accidentally swapped the votes. It didn’t pass, nothing has changed.

• winterman October 12, 2015 1:04 pm #

No worries! Thanks for the quick reply

• Lord B0unty October 12, 2015 11:14 am #

Why do your numbers not match the above posted ones?

Yes, have them cancel out Chapter Tactics: 524
      No, leave it RAW: 635

Reecius October 12, 2015 11:30 am #

It was a typo, I accidentally posted the numbers in the wrong order. The vote did not pass.

3. Hotsauceman1 October 12, 2015 11:25 am #

I’m upset about the storms urge thing, I have no idea how to deal with it as a sm, guard or even a tau player.
    Man, I hate being broke.

• AbusePuppy October 12, 2015 4:33 pm #

SM: Shoot it with Grav weapons, Missiles, Lascannons, Melta, or Plasmaguns. Assault it and use Krak Grenades or Power Fists. Hit it with nearly any of the Telepathy powers (Shriek, Dominate, Hallucinate.) Lock it in combat with a delaying unit.

Guard: Shoot it with Lascannons, Autocannons, Multilasers or Lasguns. Assault it with Meltabombs. Lock it in combat with any delaying unit.

Tau: Shoot it with literally anything in the codex.

The Stormsurge is really only a bit tougher than a Riptide to kill (and certainly less tough than the two Riptides that it costs.) If you could deal with Tau before, you can deal with the Stormsurge.

4. ehegner1 October 12, 2015 12:33 pm #

Can I play with the Stormsurge now or do I have to wait for the codex to come out?

Reecius October 12, 2015 12:36 pm #

Codex first for the ITC, you need all the other rules, too. Should be in the next two to three weeks.

• AbusePuppy October 12, 2015 4:35 pm #

I… I don’t understand this. Does this mean that “stand-alone” rules, such as those for the FW Land Raiders, the Looted Wagon, the various Dataslate releases, etc, are not legal for use in ITC? Because we have all of the rules for the Stormsurge- they are printed in the White Dwarf and everything except the gun stats are included in its box.

• CNitram October 12, 2015 7:14 pm #

Are you always this passive aggressive or just whenever Reecius posts in the comment section?

• Nurglitch October 13, 2015 8:23 am

Passive-aggressive is how AbusePuppy rolls.

Reecius October 13, 2015 2:28 pm #

It references rules in the new Tau dex, which we don’t have yet, that is why.

• AbusePuppy October 13, 2015 11:59 pm

What rules are you talking about? The Stormsurge doesn’t have Fire Teams rule, and all of its weapon stats are included in the WD.

5. Bridges60 October 12, 2015 12:34 pm #

Super excited aboout being able to use expirementals.l

Reecius October 12, 2015 12:35 pm #

Me, too! My Deredeo is getting painted up, ASAP!

• Bridges60 October 12, 2015 1:27 pm #

Oh yes! Khorne knight and kytan to the field!

Reecius October 12, 2015 1:35 pm #

Yeah, I think I am getting one for my KDK! Super low model count army, lol.

• Bridges60 October 12, 2015 2:25 pm

Indeed! but we can always bring in more…although I rarely summon..fnp is too good to pass up.

• Lukash October 19, 2015 3:42 am

Question about exactly this;
            I understand that experimentals have been voted into the fold, but I don’t see the Kytan listed under allowable LoW for Chaos?

6. TinBane October 13, 2015 1:11 am #

On the issue of GW’s claim of 80% hobbyists, 20% gamers.
    It’s utterly bunk.

Every retailer that has put out any commentary on what sells well, has noted that shithouse rules SERIOUSLY curtail sales. GW itself has noticed this, ever since 6th where they started dropping the codex later and later in the release cycle.

Plus, if their profit downgrades have largely been down to currency exchange, then they have HUGE international markets, which BTW, they have acknowledged they know SFA about…

It’s a depressing read, because it shows how little they understand about making GW successful.

Reecius October 13, 2015 2:35 pm #

Yeah, it leaves me with the impression of a company largely out of touch with their customer base.

7. fluger October 13, 2015 3:02 pm #

Awwww, my little ITC event gets no love. 🙁 Well, I got all 8 people I can handle anyway, so it’s not like I need the advertising for THIS time.

Reecius October 13, 2015 4:21 pm #

Did it not get mentioned? It’s on the calendar, right?

• fluger October 13, 2015 7:55 pm #

I’ll have to listen again i guess. ::shame::

8. fleetofclaw October 14, 2015 7:47 pm #