LVO 2016 Championships a Full House!

In less than a week after tickets for the LVO 2016 40k Championships went up for sale they have now officially been sold out.   At 284 players this will be our largest competitive 40k yet and if I am remembering correctly will be the largest competitive 40k event in North America (citation may be needed).  A big shout out to all those who purchased their tickets to the event, since without your support the LVO would be nothing more than a pipe dream and your continued support year after year lets us continue to double the size of the event year after year.  So what does this tell me, personally?

• Competitive 40k is still a thing, despite continuous claims on forums such as BOLS that tournament attendance is down.  Look at the NOVA Open that is happening this weekend.  256 players attending an apologetically power house tournament for the most competitive of the competitive players.  Adepticon struggled a bit last year with their attendance but it was still a HUGE event, as it is every year.  Naysayers will constantly harp on the competitive community calling people WAAC and worse but in my experience these are usually people who have never attended a social event larger than perhaps a small local game store tournament where they had a bad experience.
  • People like the ITC rules.  Yeah, it’s a bit of a pat on the back but if everyone knew how much time and effort goes into the ITC and making sure it keeps a game with tons of balance issues fair for both players, you would forgive a bit us for a bit of sanctimony.
  • It’s  Vegas Baby.  The event selling out so quickly definitely supports our belief that despite the high costs of operating out of a Las Vegas resort and casino the location helps drive interest to the event.  It’s a very easy sell for significant others when you tell them that not only do they get to take a trip to Vegas but you will be leaving them alone to enjoy themselves practically the whole time!  A win, win situation for all!
  • Attendance is up in all areas of the convention.  This post is about the 40k event selling out so quickly but I would be remiss in not stating that all events are selling well and we have doubled the amount of games offered this year.  New to the LVO 2016 is an X Wing tournament on Friday and Sunday and Friday Night Magic on Friday evening.  The hall will also be open until the wee hours on the morning for our After Hours events run by gaming fancatics so there’s never a shortage of gaming to be had.

Needless to say we are completely excited to see all of this coming together and there is still a ton of work to be done.  So sound off!  Who is participating in the 40k Championships?  What will you be bringing?  How many Battle Companies will be in attendance?  Will Geoff InControl Robinson wear a cut-off tee to showcase his massive guns?  WHAT DO YOU THINK?

About Jason

Raw Dogger, aka, Phat J Sleaze (formerly of the Booty Boyzzz) is a highly opinionated, questionably skilled 40k enthusiast. When not working at Frontline Gaming, he can be found down on Jabroni Avenue.

40 Responses to “LVO 2016 Championships a Full House!”

1. Jural September 3, 2015 11:48 am #

Clearly the tournament scene is dying. The sky is falling, but people are too busy calling it SKyhammer to notice.

Look at the facts. Yes, 270 people are confirmed. But dig a bit deeper and actually it’s 100 new players with a single army each (most common army is Imperial Guard, followed by orcs, and then single CAD Space Marine.) The balance of the armies are run by the 10 most vile WAAC “generals”, all with 10-20 armies each (all are some combination of Eldar, Battle Company, War Convocation, or 10+ Hive Tyrant lists.) Most of the WAAC armies are painted with exactly 3 colors, two of which are primer, and the rest have been pro-painted in a sweatshop in some 3rd world country.

The 10 WAAC players will speed play multiple tables and then drop any armies who aren’t undefeated by the end of the first day.

Now people might wonder why 105 people have booked 270 rooms, but you are forgetting that WAAC players are also high rollers with huge 40K entourages following them around (dice caddies, as those in the know call them.)

Wake up sheeple.

• droozy September 3, 2015 3:33 pm #

I don’t know man, I’m a casual gamer and I had an absolute blast last year. Everyone was super cool and the days were filled with fun games. Running a CSM CAD with Renegades and Heretics allies, I was hardly a threat. Still, never felt outclassed and only had one unenjoyable game. But that was more the fault of my digestive tract than anything else.

At first I thought this was tongue a tongue in cheek post but seems like your gripes are a bit too specific and the venom a bit too potent.

Huge 40k entourages? That must be a joke. There’s no way you could be serious about that. Matter of fact, I’m just going to consider this whole thing a joke and hope that I’m right.

Cheers

• Bigpig September 3, 2015 3:46 pm #

Legit or joke, life imitates fiction 🙂

• droozy September 3, 2015 3:53 pm #

Frankie and Reece are a big part of the illuminati after all. Wake up sheeple!

• Bigpig September 3, 2015 4:00 pm

I’ve played INWO. The wargamers card us weak. Perhaps it’s you who is part of the illumati. Trying to misdirected the sheeple with your subterfuge?

• Bigpig September 3, 2015 3:45 pm #

You may join my entourage 🙂

• Casey H September 8, 2015 6:41 pm #

Yeah. This. 😀

2. EmbraceYourInnerGeek September 3, 2015 12:05 pm #

Impressive.

More impressive however is the way Frankie, Reece and the team have gone about creating a community, and more importantly a business, out of something they love. It’s almost as if they are in fact astute business people, and it was all planned from the start…… !

Well played guys, well played.

BTW – I’ll be there hopefully with New Tau.

EYIG

Reecius September 8, 2015 1:30 pm #

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated!

3. Asmodius September 3, 2015 3:14 pm #

Do you plan to try to open up more slots for this event in light of it selling out?

• Rawdogger September 4, 2015 11:40 am #

It MAY happen depending on attendance from some other events on the same days. We will definitely keep everyone informed. Best to get on the waitlist just in case, though.

• Asmodius September 4, 2015 8:43 pm #

Do you post the size of the ait list anywhere?

Reecius September 8, 2015 1:31 pm #

We don’t post the wait list, no, for privacy reasons. however, it is sitting at about 40, right now.

• Asmodius September 9, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks, I was not expecting the wait list to be posted just was curious about count.

4. fluger September 3, 2015 3:50 pm #

Congrats guys. I’m glad to see your efforts being rewarded.

5. Trueknight September 3, 2015 5:55 pm #

Congrats fellas that is awesome! Thanks for all you do in the community!

6. Defeatmyarmy September 3, 2015 6:37 pm #

Haven’t played anything since the BAO 2013. Congrats guys keep this game going!

Reecius September 8, 2015 1:31 pm #

Thanks Dan, and come back and play, buddy!

7. McCool September 3, 2015 6:44 pm #

Time to fire up the terrain factory and make another 100 tables buddy! Jural is such a noob, can’t even spell orks right. I kick ass with my single CAD orks, and I didnt have to exploit 3rd world workers to paint my models either. Also, these dice caddies and entourages this guy is talking about, you call them whatever you want, we call them spouses and friends. 105 people booked 270 rooms, take a counting class, there are 270 players and that is in the GT alone. Somebody get this clown an abacus.

• droozy September 3, 2015 7:42 pm #

My girlfriend helped me move stuff from table to table, does that make her my entourage? Oh snaps, am i a 40k high roller? These are exciting times…

• Jural September 10, 2015 2:55 pm #

I hope so- I am really looking forward to drinking champagne out of a space marine helmet.

• Jural September 10, 2015 2:54 pm #

Ha Ha! I thought it was written so tongue in cheek that nobody would take it seriously- but I seem to have angered McCool 😉

• droozy September 19, 2015 11:44 am #

Oh thank God. It’s hard to tell on the inter webs

8. bigpig September 3, 2015 10:54 pm #

Gratz on the success guys. See you there 🙂

9. iNcontroL September 3, 2015 11:03 pm #

huge accomplishment! Awesome news

10. Plains of War GT September 4, 2015 6:05 am #

This is awesome! Cant wait!!!

11. Hotsauceman1 September 4, 2015 10:17 am #

I was talking to someone who said the BAO had like, 2 less people then it did the year befor. out of what was it, 126 players? that is like less then 1%.
    Tournaments are great, I wanna make it to more of them TBH, but I cant.

Reecius September 8, 2015 1:32 pm #

134 at BAO, sold out in 8 days, LVO has 284 at present, sold out in 6 days! WOW!

12. NOPE September 4, 2015 3:02 pm #

Lol we just should call it the
    California Independent Tournament Circuit
    cause thats what is really is. Some people have
    like 9 tournament appearances. They should really factor in the worst tournament score into the overall
    score. I think know that would make it more fair. Your best, worst, and middle score would be the best.

Reecius September 8, 2015 1:34 pm #

There are more events in Cali and on the west coast because the ITC started here, it is only logical that that is the case. In time it will spread out (as it has been doing).

And you can’t take someone’s lowest score, it would be very easy for a player to simply go to a small event and lose every game on purpose. That is not a good metric to measure. You can’t automatically win by choosing to, which is why we measure wins. You can automatically lose by choosing to.

And, if you mean that someone’s lowest score counts not as a positive but as a negative, if someone did very poorly at a tournament, they’d be out of the ITC for the rest of the season, which is also unfair.

13. pascalnz September 6, 2015 4:08 pm #

So happy for you guys!….so gutted I can’t come:( next time..next time

Reecius September 8, 2015 1:36 pm #

It seriously won’t be the same without you and Miho =(

But thanks, Pascal!

14. brent (nimrod451) September 8, 2015 8:39 am #

I was at he first LVO but missed the second – so glad to be able to come this year..
    .. and its great to see it thriving!

Reecius September 8, 2015 1:37 pm #

Be good to have you back!

15. Casey H September 8, 2015 6:47 pm #

Well, unless GW continues to “F” with me and not release the anime (tau in Sept damnit) book.

It’ll be Eldar.

Likely though, the new codex will be released and I can add some more broken robots to elves, playing my obscenely painted Miami-Vice Tau, with Scatbikes, Warp Spiders and a WraithKnight.

Bring your crackers and wine kids.

Reecius September 10, 2015 1:19 pm #

Can’t wait to have you again, as always, buddy!

16. Alex Yuen September 10, 2015 1:02 pm #