Thursday Night Fight! Live, at 7:00pm PST, War Convocation vs. Necrons!

saiyan

We’ve got a real hum-dinger, tonight! Frankie will be piloting the dreaded War Convocation against Reecius’ Scarab Farm Necrons! Who will prevail? The living cyborgs or the metallic undead?! Watch live, tonight at 7:00pm PST on our Twitch channel, here!

agents of the imperium

The mighty War Convocation!

War Convocation 1850pts

Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
SilverSaint
SilverSaint
7 years ago

Something that would be great is when playing armies that you normally don’t use (or have never played) if whoever is playing it spent 5-10 mins of their time simply reading all the formation rules/bonuses and all the unit special rules so they have some idea of what their army does.

It looks pretty poor when frankie is playing an army and doesn’t know the skitarii have scout and crusader (never used it in the game), his entire army loses the Gets Hot special rule, neurostatic aura on the infiltrators, the missle pod (since its not visually on the Knight) on the Knight, etc etc. I mean I am not referring to forgetting rules. Its fine to forget rules when playing a new army, but to never even know you had the rules in the first place seems silly when doing a bat rep. It doesn’t take much time to quickly review the rules and have a more representative game (as compared to people who know their armies) when you are about to spend 2-3 hours using the models in front of others.

Sawyer Z
Sawyer Z
Reply to  SilverSaint

I agree with most of what you said but I also think that time and pressure play a big part in mistakes being made. It may sound lame, but when I played my first game at my local shop (given I was like 12) I was pretty nervous and made some silly mistakes/forgot rules. Not to say Frankie is inexperienced or even nervous (he only loses 40k when he chooses to lol) but they are trying to do a batrep pretty quick and there is quite a few people watching.

That being said, as well as just reading the formation rules over quick it makes a big difference to jot some notes down of things that are crucial to your army. This helps me a lot when I started playing AM to remember things like orders etc. However, at the end of the day, they’re free batreps and I’m sure the vast majority of people really enjoy the work you guys put in so we can hangout and watch the game we love played by a couple of great guys everytime. These are just some things that would take it to the next level of awesomeness.

D-ManA
D-ManA
Reply to  SilverSaint

My suggestion would be is to not only look through the rules before playing an unfamiliar army but also play a few games to get familiar with the army then do a live broadcast. sure it takes some extra time but I think it is worth it and would appease your fans more.

SilverSaint
SilverSaint
Reply to  D-ManA

I think playing a new army multiple times before a stream is a bit excessive and completely unnecessary. In an ideal world that would be great, but I would rather just watch that 10 hours of learning content anyway as half the fun is the banter during the game.

Simon
Simon
7 years ago

I took a pretty similar list to a local comp on saturday and got tabled by eldar/ deldar. Got seized on and took it in the A++. But if you dont get seized on, its glorious!

brent (nimrod451)
brent (nimrod451)
7 years ago

I don’t think in the 4 or so years I’ve been playing I’ve never seen a game where someone knew everything about their army – didn’t forget something – or didn’t have to look in a book. Even one they play all the time let alone when someone is playing something new. Which is like all the time now that books seem to come out at light speed..

I think people are being harsh with the criticism. Also folks are busy..

I didn’t watch the whole cast this time, but what i saw was good. I think you guys continue to give the game a great face.

…sorry I wanted to inject some positive in there. Sometimes i think there’s a lot of thankless heat thrown out..

SilverSaint
SilverSaint
7 years ago

My entire point isn’t about forgetting rules, that is 100% A OK as the majority of 40K is simply a memory game. My point is if you are going to play an army, just looking at what rules your formations/units have is relevant and takes literally 5-10 mins. There is a large difference in forgetting and simply never knowing.

brent (nimrod451)
brent (nimrod451)
Reply to  SilverSaint

I think my point is – he’ll know for next time now? lol

I see your point though – I’m not saying you were being purposely inflammatory, and you have a valid point.

I just like to focus on a positive…

…40k seems to carry a lot of salt and rage lately 🙂

Toranaga
Toranaga
7 years ago

I’m loving these live streams, especially when it’s Reece vs. Frankie. Keep up the great work!

Ansacs
Ansacs
7 years ago

Reece, I have noticed you guys keep giving the war convocation player the max result for canticles turn 1 when they have all the drop pods off the table. This is only 6 units (7 if you include the dominus which is debatable) on the table at the start of your turn to claim the benefit and should be the second level.

This is the draw back to using a drop pod contingent to deliver your units. You will almost assuredly only get the second level canticles.

Thanks for the batreps as always guys.

Simon
Simon
Reply to  Ansacs

As soon as the pods with skitarii/ mech enter via drop pod assault T1,you get the better canticles ( providing you reach 8 units)
Im Not sure why you think the dominus contributing to that is debatable though, what do you mean?

Ansacs
Ansacs
Reply to  Simon

It doesn’t work like that. The canticle is activated at the start of the turn (I guess you could roll for reserves before hand but the units are certainly not “on the battlefield”).

The dominus is usually put in a unit of ad mech. Whether you could 1 unit of ad mech as 2 units or 1 unit for this purpose because of the dominus in the unit is debatable either way. The formation telling you to count the dominus indicates you would not normally do so, but hey.

The rules;
“Furthermore, the strength of each Canticle will vary according to the number of units performing it. At the start of your turn, add up the number of friendly units on the battlefield that have the Canticles of the Omnissiah special rule and apply the appropriate level of effect. Do not include units that are currently Falling Back in this total. Once a Canticle has been activated it remains at that level of effect until the beginning of your next turn, even if the number of units performing it changes during that turn”

Simon
Simon
7 years ago

Reece, what camera do you use?

Derek
Derek
7 years ago

I was wondering, what units do you put in the drop pods and what units do the Priest and Dominus join? Thanks!

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x