Guardian Cup 8 Live Action Report Day 1 and 2

20150523_112032Hello fellow gamers!

This is CaptainA, tournament organizer of the Guardian Cup, Portland, OR’s premiere 40k singles Grand Tournament reporting live from the event! The Guardian Cup 8 – The Ocho – is being hosted by Portland’s grandest game store, Guardian Games, with over 8000 square feet of gaming space. We are being housed in Guardian Games own bar, The Critical Sip, and things are already rocking on the first round. We had a total of 47 players make it to the event with players from all over the west coast coming as far away from down south in San Diego and as far north as Everett, WA.

We have a ton of players with Mugu Games and Team0Comp making up the two largest teams for the event so we will see which club clubs whom! There are a lot of great players here including many ITC top dogs such as Baxter Seguin, Geoff (InControl) Robinson, Ben (Dr. Insanatron) Cromwell, Alex Gonzalez, and Sean (AbusePuppy)Morgan. I will be live blogging the rounds and showcasing who beats whom and who the champions are from the event. Check out the first round in action as we speak and stay tuned for more.

Day 1

Alex Gonzalez 1006

Chuck Arnett 1006

Anthony D’Amore 1006

Steve Tanzy 1005

William Blackburn 1005

Jedi Whitlock 1005

A lot of the usual suspects in this first round of combat! Stay tuned for more from the Guardian Cup 8!

Round 2 Pictures

Jeremy Veysseire – Skitarrii/Blood Angels/Space Marines

Justin Whitton – Eldar/Dark Eldar/Inquisition

Baxter Seguin – Necrons

Steve Tanzy – Eldar

Round 5 – Final Round

Final Match – Jeremy Veysseire VS Baxter Seguin

The final match comes down to Jeremy VS Baxter! Can the never dying Necrons defeat the cyborg Skitarii catching a ride from their Blood Angel brothers? More updates coming soon.

Round 5 Pictures:

[nggallery id=18]

In the end The French Overlord Jeremy Veysseire took the last round and reigned supreme as champion of the Guardian Cup!

About CaptainA

Aaron is a longtime gamer of many systems. He is an avid community builder of 40k and after running many 40k events in Portland, Oregon, has recently moved to Boise, Idaho and continues to host and run leagues and events. He has also recently expanded his repertoire and entered the second hand Warhammer business. Check out his website at www.trader-a.com to see how he can help you get rid off your old and unused models.

42 Responses to “Guardian Cup 8 Live Action Report Day 1 and 2”

1. Reecius
    Reecius May 23, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks for positing these, Aaron! Looks like a blast.

Man, Frankie’s Thunderdome is having a rough day!

2. Jason
    Raw Dogger May 23, 2015 4:51 pm

LOL Geoff must have had a rough game. Oh well at least he can go and get some a dat Hawaiian food though.

Reecius May 24, 2015 11:59 am

Ma, that Hawaiian food was legit.

3. Wintertalon May 23, 2015 8:20 pm

Geoff beat me in the First round in a Tyranid on Tyranid match.
    He got hit hard on the second round and he was facing a fast Ork list in the third that didn’t look like it was going well. I didn’t see the end as my own game heated up.

Franks wolves had a opp’s moment vs tasty taste dark angle death star bike unit round 1. I know he lost round 2 and he said he got a draw in round 3. It’s just not been his day. A lot of the big names are having hard match ups with a good number of mirror type match’s happening too. The middle pack is swimming with sharks. If been a blast. Can’t wait to see who I’ll draw tomorrow. Sorry you missed recee.

Reecius May 24, 2015 11:58 am

Yeah, bummed I couldn’t be there but I was laid out in bed, sick. I am back on my feet today, but that is with non-stop rest, so it is what it is. Wish I could have gone, though.

Sounds like you and Geoff had a good game!

4. iNcontroL May 23, 2015 10:58 pm

Yeah I went into this tourney saying and knowing if I faced drop d Flamers I’d die.. And then I hit the one guy who took them.. And D artillery x2 and a D knight and scat bikes… Was “fun”

Game 3 I had the honor of playing chuck arnett.. Was very bloody but the wheels came off the wagon for him and I won big in the end.. Some key roles and he would be right in it.

Hoping for top Nids and a submarine appearance in the top ish somewhere!

Reecius May 24, 2015 11:57 am

You finally beat Orks! Well done.

Yeah, Nids take it in the shorts extra hard from Eldar, more so than most armies. If your Flyrants can get airborne I’d think you would have a fighting chance, though.

5. fluger May 24, 2015 11:28 am

Nick with his Dark Angels doing well!?!?!? LOL.

How about army types? Any standouts?

Reecius May 24, 2015 11:59 am

I know, Nick beat Frankie’s Thunderdome with Dark Angels, lol, what? Way to go Tastey!

• CaptainA May 24, 2015 12:55 pm

Nick rolled a 17 for his first Psychic Shriek against the Thunderdome. Downhill from there.

• fluger May 24, 2015 2:48 pm

wow

Reecius May 25, 2015 7:27 am

Brutal!

• CaptainA May 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Huge mix of armies. Highest is Tyranids! Pretty happy overall.

• fluger May 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Neat! I can’t wait to see all the breakdowns.

6. Kwodd May 24, 2015 1:52 pm

Way to go Vince!

7. fluger May 24, 2015 2:50 pm

If Guardian Cup and 40k have taught me anything its that robots are the best warriors.

8. Will Grant May 24, 2015 8:26 pm

I hear the number 2 player was playing non-Decurion Necrons. What was he running?

Reecius May 25, 2015 7:27 am

Baxter has been tearing it up with those Nerons!

• dr.insanotron May 25, 2015 9:55 am

No I was 2nd place with my Necrons. And yes I don’t run decurion. I ran a cad with orikan and wraiths and a destroyer cult a couple night scythe and a pair of annihilation barges

9. dr.insanotron May 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Guardian cup was a great time. I when 4-1 only losing to Jermey “the winner” and ended up in 2nd place and best Necron

Reecius May 25, 2015 7:28 am

Well done, Ben! Wish I wasn’t sick, would have loved to have gone.

10. Wintertalon May 24, 2015 8:37 pm

who was best Tyranid?

• bogalubov May 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Geoff

• dr.insanotron May 24, 2015 9:24 pm

Yeah Geoff

11. Klr May 25, 2015 1:52 am

Anyone know what eldar units Price had together with his imp.knights ?

• Jp May 25, 2015 7:17 am

Crimson death, 2 squads of 3 bikes (not sure the weapons) and an autarch

Reecius May 25, 2015 7:28 am

Damn, that is a savage combo.

• Klr May 25, 2015 7:59 am

Txs. Interesting combo.

12. Kwodd May 25, 2015 7:34 am

If your primary codex is older than 6 months you aren’t allowed in the top 5.

Reecius May 25, 2015 8:10 am

Lol, fair observation, here. But, I honestly think it is more a matter of what the most skilled players chose to bring as opposed to the books, themselves.

• Kwodd May 25, 2015 8:23 am

The players are all very skilled no doubt and I’m stoked to see so many MUGU guys in the top 8. This was a tournament full of skilled players. Fact is the skilled players that brought one of the big 3 rose to the top.

The power gap between the big 3 and everyone else is blatantly obvious. I’m excited to see marines get in on the party in the next few weeks.

Reecius May 25, 2015 12:01 pm

I think you can still win with older books, for sure. I mean, heck, Tau was right there in the mix. I think there’s just a lot of shiny new toy syndorme going on with players playing the new stuff.

• bogalubov May 25, 2015 12:50 pm

No one brought daemons and that’s still an excellent codex.

13. Jp May 25, 2015 8:50 am

Yup, though marines where brought in the top two armies as well!

Frenchy had skitari, blood Angels, space marines
    Mawet had eldar, space wolves, ultramarines
    Cromwell (tied second) was the first “pure” army with just crons

I think the best armies are the mixed armies… Just my opinion, but what do I know…

• Kwodd May 25, 2015 9:05 am

Happy to see Vince kept his knights, just wouldn’t feel right without em.

And Mawet didn’t bring demons?……. WHAT?

I agree mixed armies are the best, as long as they’re mixed with GWs latest technology.

• Jp May 25, 2015 9:15 am

Just to be clear Mawet might have brought his deamons with him, possibly even summoned a squad or two… Silly fallen marines

• Kwodd May 25, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks for the clarification, I was almost pulled into the warp trying to wrap my mind around Mawet without Demons.

• Will Grant May 25, 2015 11:34 am

Yeah loss of come the apocalypse/ addition of 3 source further hurts the evil races as compared to imperium of eldar/man.

Maybe tzeentch daemonkin and necrons will have some decent combinations.

• Jp May 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Ya that’s the biggest reason I out down chaos, I play tzeentch/slaanesh chaos… So I get one CAD and one Allied Detachmrnt available to me… I don’t even have an option for a third detachment lol… Where at least necrons, bugs, orks and such can pull multiple formations out of their own codex I’m am forced to buy khorne for now???

Or just play my other army of 16 years, eldar!

• dr.insanotron May 25, 2015 9:28 pm

Sure but that mix can be CAD, formations etc. Of the same army like mine was. Necrons don’t really need allies