signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

4-24-15

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at 20% off! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at FrontlineGaming.org.

News

• Pre-Order Special is a go for Codex:Khorne Daemonkin! You know the drill by now, so long as you purchase any of the new release items before their release date which is Saturday, 3-28-15, your entire order gets and additional 5% off! There are a few exceptions to this such as F.A.T. Mats, but it saves you a bundle. We offer flat shipping in the USA, too! This sale also includes the new GW cases which look pretty bad ass.
  • We’re also getting restocked with Crons, finally! So, you can include that in your order, too.
  • We just got back from Adepticon.
    • Adepticon recap.

Upcoming ITC Events

• ITC format update is coming soon, sorry for the delays, just been swamped with stuff. However, the new format questionnaire will be going out and policy will be determined.
  • COC ITC Event next weekend at Great Escape Games! Be sure to check it out.
  • Gamer’s Paradise Highlander Tournament, Prairieville, LA, March 28, 2015
  • Linebreakers Highlander RTT, Victorville, CA, APril 4th, 2015
  • Assault on Kokoytos, Mugu Games, Everett, WA, April 4th, 2015
  • De-La-Warr Open, Newark, DE, April 11-12, 2015
  • Onslaught, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, April 11-12, 2015

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

• Khorne Daemonkin look pretty bad ass!
    • You can get a lot of fun stuff in here, and it looks like you can maybe attach CSM to Daemons as their Instability rule may be gone? If so, this gives you a lot of options to make really powerful units.
    • No Kharn? Everyone is saying that Khorne’s number 1 homeboy is not in the book which is just bizarre if true.
    • The Decurion style detachment looks pretty awesome. There are a lot of builds floating around already that look quite nasty with tons of MSU units which are great in certain missions formats such as Maelstrom.
  • So, Skitari Pictures all over the place! If they are real, they look pretty amazing.
    • Skitarii Vanguard locked in melee lower enemy toughness by 1, wow! Skitarii Rangers come stock with precision strike, Str4, Ap4, 30″ rapid fire weapons and they have relentless.
    • Ironstrider Balistari and Sydonian Dragoons are like Sentinels, light armor, open topped, only 2 HP, but have cool weapons and are cheap. They are fast, too, the Dragoon adds 3″ to the move, run and assault value, wow! Also, they come on an oval base and are rumored to be as tall as a Knight?
    • A lot of the Skitarii weapons have Cognis, which makes them snap fire at BS2, which is awesome considering a lot of their stuff is twin linked.
    • They have Phosphorous weapons that if they cause an unsaved wound on a target unit that unit has -1 cover save for that phase, and units can reroll their assault roll.
    • No HQ?
    • The Dunewalker is a walker tank that is not slowed by difficult and auto-passes dangerous. It has tons of weapons options including AA, lasers, phosphorous guns, etc.
  • Rumors of a new Tau Commander Battlesuit on the horizon, which is plastic and more dynamic than the current “Surfer-Edition” Tau Commander.
    • Rumors of lots of new Kroot kits, but that they are being held back for a Kroot Specific release.

Rant Session

Tactics Corner

Rules Lawyer

Completed Commissions

List Review

Hello,

My name is Jack, I have followed your guy’s batreps for a long time. There was an article Reecius wrote on a Sentinels of Terra scout army. I was very inspired by this article to finally create my own army as I have loved scouts since I started back in 4th ed.

I have a list put together and would like a critique of the list. I also have a few questions.

Here is the list

1850 sentinels of Terra

Libby lvl 2 Telepathy

3 centurions grav cannons and hurricane bolters, omniscope

3 centurions missles and Lascannons

6x 10 bolter scouts, hellfire heavy bolters, Melta bombs

2x stormtalon w/sky hammer missles

2x thunderfire cannons

That is the list so far. My questions are:

1- do you think the hellfire shells are worth it?

2- should I try and fit the bones of osrak in?

3- do you think combi-meltas on the scout Sgts would be a waste of points, or add tactical diversity in case I need to surround a Imperial Knight or pop multiple tanks first turn?

4-land speeder storms? What are your thoughts and would they benefit the list in anyway?

Thank you for reading this and any insight you may be able to provide.

Sincerely

38 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40k and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Comedy!”

1. Pascal Roggen March 24, 2015 3:58 am #

Heck Nik won the tourney using a single CAD:P But you guys should check out the final 32 and see what was actually winning, it’d be interesting

• AbusePuppy March 24, 2015 5:20 am #

He won it with a single CAD that was abusing 2+ rerolls about as hard as was possible in a format that did absolutely nothing to stop that. I think that’s indicative that some of the changes are needed.

(Not to knock on Nick, of course, he’s a great player.)

• Pascal Roggen March 24, 2015 11:25 am #

for sure, the 2+ reroll abuse probably needs a tweek but I was more after…. just how bad is multi detachments. and his 1, seems to say it doesn’t really matter. he’s just one guy, sure he won, but it would be nice to see the other top 32 to make a better call. It’s a bit like the top 8 at lvo, peeps scared of lynx’s, only one got in, and also , no FW in the final either.

• AbusePuppy March 25, 2015 10:57 am #

I don’t think detachment limits are as critical anymore, since the faction-specific detachments allow many codices to ignore the limitations and most of the shenanigans that can be achieved with cramming 4+ detachments together are rather unimpressive compared to the raw power of many of the existing armies. Gone are the days of Necrons fielding six or nine Barges or Coteaz toting along twelve cheap ObSec transports.

On the other hand, I don’t like the proliferation of “throwaway” detachments like Inquisitors that can be slapped into practically any army without a second thought. I’m not sure if that’s really enough of a problem to be worth limiting people for, though.

I, personally, voted for three detachments with no duplicates in the post-LVO poll, since that seems like a reasonable expansion on the current and if it allows to much nonsense we can always drop back to two- but, on the other hand, if no new power lists crop up, that might be a signal that allowing unlimited detachments (possibly with no duplicates) is fine in the end.

2. greggles March 24, 2015 4:14 am #

Was so great to hang out and have some brews with you fellows! Always a pleasure!

If anyone is looking for photos, I’ve been putting links on the forum!

Reecius March 24, 2015 12:18 pm #

Always a pleasure seeing you, buddy! Thanks for taking all the awesome photos.

3. Logan March 24, 2015 4:43 am #

I’m going to chalk it up to fatigue and semi-scripted podcast, but your argument for unlimited detachment is a bit off. All your examples were more based on Ally Matrix (Adlance + Trip-Flyrants, Adlance + Lynxx, Trip-Flyrant + your choice).

My thing with unlimited detachment is that GW is slowly forcing us to shift to it. Look at Harlies. They are really pushing people to take an Eldar, DE, and Harlie detachment. How about the rumors for Admech, rumors state that there will be 3 mini-dexes. IF this rumor is true, that means to fully make an Admech army you will need to do at minimum 3 detachments. Assassins and Inquisition can be added into the mix as well.

The other reason I think unlimited detachment will be good is to give some non-imperium armies a buff. Look at the current situation, Imperium Armies can take advantage of almost all the rules as is. They can abuse the ally matrix (BBs) more than any other factions. Only other BBs in the ally matrix other than Imperium is Eldar/DE and CSM/CD (this isn’t counting mini-dexes like harlies). What does this mean for other non-imperium armies? They can’t share transports, psychic buffs, and etc. Now you might say, if we allow unlimited detachments, this will buff Imperium as well, but I look at it this way. If Imperium can fully use all the rules now, what’s the difference of unlocking more rules for non-imperium armies, even if it allows Imperium to get buffed more? With this change, at least everything is getting buffed.

I have a buddy at Game Empire, and he has been telling me the unlimited detachment isn’t that bad. The biggest abuser of it is Dugg, granted I really think his goal is to always make a hobby killer list unless he is playing Orks.

• Logan March 24, 2015 5:01 am #

Just incase, I have no issues with Dugg. I spoken with him before at both LVOs and when I visit San Diego. I think he’s a pretty cool guy.

Reecius March 24, 2015 12:20 pm #

A lot of folks were using lots of Detachments (Doug being one of them), but most players don’t. It just encourages the wonky mega deathstar units as most of those rely on characters to use.

And yeah, more detachments seems to be what GW is allowing but as you pointed out, it really only benefits Imperial armies as the vast majority of detachments available are for them. Xenos only benefit in having access to more formations.

4. Ghost Valley March 24, 2015 5:36 am #

RE: The List for review.

I think swapping the 2 talons for a Stormraven would be something to consider. Transport for the Gravs should it be needed and with the missles and POTMS you dont lose much offensively. Would give enough points for the Bones and a couple combi gravs. Drop the hellfire shells and all the sgts should all be able to take combis.

• Logan March 24, 2015 7:03 am #

if I remember correctly, Bones dont increase the Mastery Level of the Psyker, they just produce an extra Warp Charge in the Psychic Phase.

• Ghost Valley March 24, 2015 8:09 am #

Yea. Its an extra warp charge and reroll failed tests. You still count as Mastery Level 2.

• jpwyrm March 24, 2015 10:21 am #

I agree, I’ve seen Talons get blown to bits the turn after they come in in more games than I care to remember. The raven has a lot more durability and can transport units has Ghost Valley said.

I’m pretty sure combi-grav/meltas would be more usefull than Hellfire shelled HB too.

LSS could give you some mobility. Though with the number of units on the ground, you should be able to cover most objectives and the Raven can always scoop up/drop a unit where it’s needed. You don’t have anything to protect your Centurions though, except hoping for Invisibility which can’t be considered “a plan”. Might be worth it to think about a tanker of some sort if able…

5. tag March 24, 2015 6:32 am #

What changed in the ITC Army Comp that no longer allows Tyranids + Knights. Hive Fleet Detachment + Ad Lance was present at least once at LVO. Is it the pending change to CTA?

Reecius March 24, 2015 12:21 pm #

Nothing, yet.

• Jural March 24, 2015 7:43 pm #

I’m not sure there’s any reason to change the fluffy armies like Nids and Knights. I don’t have my first edition Codexes anymore, but I’m pretty sure this combination predates Space Marines.

Really, only Squats are more fluffy in a true 40K universe.

6. Tom March 24, 2015 8:03 am #

Kinda interested in those new GW cases. I know you mentioned they were mostly for infantry models but GW’s video shows them pulling a baneblade, a knight and a couple of Leman Russes out of the thing so that definitely caught my attention. Pricing seems very fair too.

Would love to see some reviews before I decide to drop cash on it though.. the temptation to spend the money on models instead is always great 🙂

• Hotsauceman1 March 24, 2015 9:13 am #

The zip zag caught my attention.
      Looks good for a lot of stuff.
      but I have 3rd cases already, I just need foam.

Reecius March 24, 2015 12:21 pm #

COol, maybe we were wrong on what it can hold, it seemed like it was all infantry.

7. artfcllyflvrd March 24, 2015 8:25 am #

Schaumburg is about 45 minutes from downtown. So 1.5 hours round trip (not one way) provided traffic is normal.

Reecius March 24, 2015 12:21 pm #

Thanks for the clarification, our GPS said it was 1.5 hours each way. Maybe it was due to traffic.

• Harley p March 27, 2015 1:23 pm #

sorry man the taxi driver/ gps took you for a ride. It really should only take 40-50 min at the most.

Reecius March 27, 2015 3:17 pm #

We just looked it up on GPS, didn’t actually go.

• Harley p March 27, 2015 6:29 pm

sorry man those highways getting out of O’Hare are about as confusing as 7th army list are getting. still hoped you liked my city.

8. TinBane March 24, 2015 1:59 pm #

Have a closer look at the vanguard: -1 T is for models locked in combat with them. So just like the new 30k mechanicum unit, with the same rule, and other indiscriminate debuffers like the tentacles on defilers/maulerfiends, it applies to allies too.

Hopefully they have some follow up units that are immune to rad effects.

Interesting that there’s no HQ, similar to Harlequins.

Reecius March 24, 2015 2:25 pm #

Was it for everyone? I’ll have to recheck as I missed that. If so, mixed blessing, for sure! I thought it was only enemy units locked.

And yeah, the no HQ thing is weird.

• Nova star March 24, 2015 3:38 pm #

Ya but you can’t be locked in combat with your own friendly units, even if you have two units engaging one enemy unit your still not locked with each other, just locked with the enemy

Reecius March 24, 2015 4:11 pm #

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Have to reread it.

• TinBane March 24, 2015 7:45 pm #

That’s a really interesting interpretation.
          I guess it comes down to whether “locked in combat with the them” means locked in the same combat, or fighting them.

My gut (if I was fielding them) would be that radiation is completely indiscriminate, and it would effect friend or foe. But that does involve falling into the “40k rules must make logical, real-world sense” trap.

9. Lobukia March 24, 2015 4:18 pm #

I’d love to hear your opinions on the Skitarii on Thursday.

• Lobukia March 24, 2015 4:20 pm #

And by that, are they meta changers, how viable for the tournament scene, etc.

Reecius March 24, 2015 5:01 pm #

Yeah, they look read! I can’t wait to read more about them. We will certainly be chiming in on it, though.

• Alan March 25, 2015 7:22 pm #

They look rad, eh? I do believe there’s a pun there 😉

Reecius March 26, 2015 6:55 am

I wish I was clever enough to say that that was intentional, lol, but yes a good pun all the same!

10. Shrubs March 25, 2015 12:42 pm #

This is the only podcast that I listen to a lot and that I enjoy a lot, so that’s why I’m commenting: the “constructive criticism” about adepticon was a bit much for me, I actually fast forwarded the podcast which I’ve never done before. Other than that, keep up the good work:)

Oh, and more video batreps please, love those!

11. Deuce11 March 26, 2015 8:07 am #

I cannot wait for fully fleshed out review of khorne dex.

I need my vid Batrep fix, too!

12. Harley p March 27, 2015 1:16 pm #

did you guys end up at the stadium sports bar. they used to have 4.00 40oz mugs of pretty much any beer on tap. used to live right there. to bad you guys did not have a rental car to get to Games Plus in mount prospect. great game store about 20 min away IF you know were you are GOING! ha ha. glad you had a good time.