Signals from the Frontline Special Edition: Dark Eldar

dark.eldar.01

In this special edition of the podcast, Reecius is joined by two veteran Dark Eldar players, Frankie and Skari, to discuss how to get the most out of the Dark Eldar! Check out the Tactics Corner for more great informatoin.

1. Introduction to Skari.
  2. What are the Dark Eldar’s greatest strengths?
    1. What are the best match-ups for Dark Eldar?
  3. What are their weaknesses?
    1. What are the worst match-ups for Dark Eldar?
  4. What wargear options do you like?
  5. Do you use the Dark Eldar Warlord traits or roll on a book table? if so, which?
  6. What are the best allies, if any, to use with Dark Eldar? If so, which and why?
  7. What is your favorite combo/unit/or tactic to use in your Dark Eldar army?
  8. Closing thoughts.

35 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline Special Edition: Dark Eldar”

1. DCannon4Life January 8, 2015 12:07 pm

Great episode!

Striking Scorpions…in a Raider! No?

Reecius January 8, 2015 12:30 pm

Thanks! Yeah, slap them in there, why not?! Haha

• Skari January 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Yes, the combos are awesome.

2. Novastar January 8, 2015 12:11 pm

These special editions have really rocked. Keep it up guys

Reecius January 8, 2015 12:32 pm

Glad you like them!

• Skari January 13, 2015 3:28 pm

thanks! It was a blast to be on the podcast.

3. Hotsauceman1 January 8, 2015 12:13 pm

There is a fluff reason for Eldar/DE
    If you are stuck as one of the last person on earth with the one you hate the most, against a horde of rampaging monkeys with the intelligence of frankie, you will tolerate other guy.

Reecius January 8, 2015 12:32 pm

Lol, fair enough!

• AbusePuppy January 8, 2015 7:31 pm

Yeah. Eldar and Dark Eldar may hate each other, but they hate all of the barbaric, warp-tainted, empire-stealing idiot races of the galaxy even more. It’s just like political parties- Democrats and Republicans are at each others’ throats every chance they get, but if someone else actually invaded the USA, you can damn well bet they’d side with each other against the outsider.

• Skari January 13, 2015 3:29 pm

Agreed! This is a good analogy.

4. CoffeeDave January 8, 2015 1:05 pm

Does this mean we’ll get a Necrons special too? Can I request a Sisters episode?

Reecius January 8, 2015 2:45 pm

We will hit them all, for sure!

5. ligolski January 8, 2015 4:28 pm

Great podcast guys! Love the DE love! Great ideas and for the most part I agree with everything said! I must emphasize how good Grotesquerie is. I run it with Urien and 2×4 grots in raiders. I throw in an additional haemie with scissorhand and armor of misery.

If you charge a 6+ man squad you have the potential of 8 attacks PER grot on the charge (3 base, +1 double assault weapons, +1 charge +D3 from rampage and assume you get 3 for this instance). This is not to mention that you could then potentially get rage from the grotesquerie chart and thus be at 9 attacks per grot…damn. They wound on 4’s but against most infantry will be rerolling to wound due to poison. With haemies they are T1 fearless and with urien other things will get boosted nearby. If you take a cronos (I’ve been trying it out and having some sucess) then you get a 4+ FNP. If you upgrade to an Abberation and take scissorhand then 8 of those charging attacks suddenly have rending, brutal!

Grots can kill vehicles with rear armor 10 through weight of attacks, rip through light to medium infantry with shear brutality and even take on some big guys if you are in the right position to do so. Sprinkle in your choice of support units and you are going to have some great combat monsters with good board presence.

Just my 2 cents.

• colinsherlow January 8, 2015 5:34 pm

Grot have poison 4+. They can still would models on 2s and 3s. But they get the re roll then. 🙂

• ligolski January 8, 2015 6:58 pm

That is very correct, gives you nice choices which is always a good thing.

• Skari January 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Yeah, the grotesques are amazing and that chart of special rules plus the power from pain from the coven book really stack up to a force to be reckoned with.

6. Archon-Kalafex January 8, 2015 5:25 pm

Nice cast guys! I’ve always wanted to hear Skari and Frankie talk about DE. Check that off this list. Now I need to play one of you west coasters and hopefully at Adepticon. But on a related note it’s totally time to charge a bunch of wyches into a Knight. Lol

• Skari January 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Just five, because thats all you need 🙂

7. Fagerlund January 8, 2015 10:46 pm

I think the comment about don’t listening to the negative hype is good advice in general actually. It’s just that in a game with point and click armies like Eldar people get too lazy to bother learning to play their units. 😛

• Skari January 13, 2015 3:31 pm

And its not just learning to play with the army in question. its also learning how to use the different minis available. The thing is, it is all relative to the meta, the local imposed restrictions to the game itself, the general mood of your gaming group and the terrain that is used.

8. iNcontroL January 9, 2015 12:05 am

awesome as always!

9. TrueKnight January 9, 2015 4:55 am

Absolutely love the special editions guys, keep em coming!

10. Cavalier January 9, 2015 7:04 am

Great great episode. So glad you guys hit the DE early… as a non-Imperial player it sucks having to wait eons to hear a podcast that pertains to your army.

So awesome to have you guys all on one podcast…. 3 of my favorite 40k players all on one show is awesome.

I know Frankie doesn’t read the fluff much but GW has actually put a TON of Eldar/Dark Eldar stories of alliance into the recent fluff and even stuff far far removed from 6th edition such as Planetstrike. In the Iyanden book it talks about a huge army of Dark Eldar showing up out of nowhere just to defend Iyanden when the Tyranids descended on it… and they even did a whole Apcalypse campaign featuring the aftermath of that with both DE and Eldar.

11. Kurtus January 9, 2015 7:36 am

Fantastic podcast guys! Really awesome having both Skari and Frankie in the same podcast.
    Love both your playstyles and ideas.

Reecius January 9, 2015 8:27 am

Glad you liked it!

• Skari January 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanks for listening!

12. AvInNebr January 9, 2015 11:19 am

This was the first of your podcasts I’ve listened to and loved it. Skari was a great choice as a DE guest (and I followed his link over here). Some great discussion and pretty spot on with what I’ve experienced … though I’m not fond of drop pods myself as the person I play most tends to list tailor in a lot of flamers knowing he faces open topped transports. Still it produces some great battles.

I also thought I’d mention that I love Reavers. I’ll run a single 6 man unit or maybe 2 small units and tend to equip them with heat lances and cluster caltrops. Might be a bit much for points but great vehicle hunters with a good punch to charge infantry with. The last game I played I was able to finish off a Land Raider with the caltrops, a couple straggling marines, and a dreadnought with a 6 man unit while jumping around grabbing objectives as well. That 3+ armor that the eldar get would be nice though.

Wyches … I am in agreement that they just don’t hold up like they used to. I have tried to look at them on their own without taking the loss of haywire into it but even at that they just aren’t worth the same points that taking a group of warriors is for me.

Oh, last note … I love Incubi even without the grenades. I don’t always field them but I do enjoy them. They tend to either destroy marines or they tend to do nothing depending on if I can get them into combat or not. Still my regular opponents will tend to focus on a small incubi unit’s raider ignoring everything else if I field them because they know with their AP2 attacks they will do some damage if they don’t tackle them early.

• bridges60 January 12, 2015 1:00 pm

that is exactly how i run my reavers, they have performed outstanding for me and have been the bane of my opponents backfield in many games.

13. GV January 9, 2015 1:54 pm

Cool – thanks for doing this one guys 🙂 Any other rumors of a vect LoW release – feels not likely at this point… ?

14. Jason Brown January 9, 2015 1:56 pm

Really dig that you guys reach out and have guys like Skari on you pod casts; speaks volumes on your character and love of the community.

I have been loving watching Skari’s BatReps for some time now (Frankie has been super delinquent on his 7th DE videos…how long has the dex been out?). I love me some DE/E in either combo. Speaking of combos, I have a few i was wanting to share and get commentary on:

Iyanden Autarch on a bike with soulshrive, chilling with 9 reavers. This unit has been gold for me. ITC is making some changes to invis, even with those the HOW that it gives is super good at putting on wounds. That Autarch has gotten to S10 so many times, its pretty solid.

Shadow Council with a WWPcon in a big unit from the Grotequerie. Armor of Mis and the Freakish Spec give -3 to leadership and you can have up to 5 Psychic Screams if you go balls out. Dont, three is plenty. With good placement, you can get one hell of a gnarly alpha and still run in the shooting phase.

Thanks agaun for a great cast.

• winterman January 9, 2015 2:19 pm

“Shadow Council with a WWPcon in a big unit from the Grotequerie. Armor of Mis and the Freakish Spec give -3 to leadership and you can have up to 5 Psychic Screams if you go balls out.”

No way to pull that combo off in an LVO style event though (would take 3 detachments in order to have Armor of Misery + Freaksih Spectacle + Iyanden) but would work at Adepticon.

• AbusePuppy January 13, 2015 4:16 pm

As MikhaiLenin and I realized when discussing a similar idea earlier, it doesn’t work under most systems because you can’t cast Shriek more than once from the same unit.

15. bridges60 January 12, 2015 6:05 am

I have been listening to skari for about a year and a halfand must say he is mostly responsible for my dark eldar being the pain in the ass they are on the table for opponents today. I love the new Dex and have had very nice success with scourge and believe it or not, reavers are Avery nice shock unit. But the grotiscerie has been an absolute blast

• Skari January 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Glad I could help out! The dark kin are the reavers and pirates. the things of shadow and they play like it! Thanks for listening.

16. Will May 20, 2015 9:53 am

The podcast audio seems to be gone!