Army Swapping.

Here’s an easy and fun way to improve your game.

If you’re like me, you have a good natured rivalry with your gaming buddies. It’s fun to keep a tally of your wins and losses against one another and to create narratives about the glorious, or sometimes inglorious, histories between your respective armies.

A really cool way to mix it up is to swap armies for a game and play your friend’s army and he or she to play yours. This gives both the opportunity to get an intimate feel for how another army and list plays which will help you to better understand it’s strengths and weaknesses. It also allows you to have the opportunity to see someone else play your list, which can bring to light entirely new strategies and ways to play it you had not considered. It also let’s you see your army’s strengths and weaknesses as viewed from the other side of the table.

This also settles any debates about one or the other player’s list being cheesy, as if you can win with your army and then beat your opponent with his or her army against yours, you can end that debate quickly.

So try army swapping out! It’s fun, easy to do, and will improve your game. Just be sure to wash your hands prior to touching someone’s army and to treat their models with respect.

7 Responses to “Army Swapping.”

1. jy2
    jy2 November 28, 2014 11:46 am #

I am going to swap out my Tyranids with Commander_Farsight’s (Jamie’s) Tau. He can’t seem to beat my bugs with them. I am going to show him how it’s done. 😉

Reecius November 28, 2014 12:19 pm #

Yeah, we do the same thing at time to see the weaknesses in our or our friend’s armies.

2. GDT November 28, 2014 1:58 pm #

Army swapping is a lot of fun, especially if you swap between two armies of hugely varying playstyle.

3. DexKivuli November 28, 2014 8:06 pm #

We’ve done this from time to time. I think it’s particularly good if you have an army with a particular focus (eg. Shooty) and you want a crack at another playstyle. It can give you an idea if you want to stay pumping $ into a second army when you might not enjoy the playstyle.

4. Loopy November 29, 2014 11:47 am #

This is really good advice. I should do this more often. This might be a great way to teach my brother in law how to deal with other people’s armies.

5. Vidar November 30, 2014 7:07 pm #

Army swapping: the nerd version of wife swapping.

6. Baal Viper December 1, 2014 5:45 am #

I have done this and as a result, have a much better understanding and appreciation of Tau and DE. Experienced players can usually get the general theme of an army in 5-10 games and give it back, but the lessons pay off long after that.