signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

10-28-14

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at 20% off! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at FrontlineGaming.org.

News

•  This armies on parade army had to be shared, too awesome!

wwp

• There is currently a petition going to reach out to GW corporate and try to explain to them what their customer base wants to see. You can read it here.
  • Cool photo of a flame template from Mechanical Warhorse!

mechanical warhorse

• X-Wing Armada shows off a preview, looking good!

ArmadaBoxLeft1

• TGitG show off their new concept art for a line called the Sisters of Eternal Mercy and a new model, Yaga.

tgitg yaga

• Infinity shows off their new Dog Warriors unit.

• Black Library announces a new Night Lords book by John French.

Child-of-Night

• Painted picture of the Warzone, Brotherhood Judicator.

judicator

• Antenocties Workshop shows off some very cool new bases.

bases1 bases2 bases3

• Raging Heroes shows off a very cool/weird new “not-Nurgle” model: Glutton.

raging heroes

• LVO update and F.A.T. Mats

Upcoming ITC Events

• Harvester, November 8-9th in Spokane.
  • South Florida Open, November 8-9th in South Florida.
  • Renegade Open, November 21-23
  • Guardian Cup Lite, November 22

Rumors:The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

•  New Tyranids inbound?
  • Toxicrene
    On a large oval base with 10 long tentacles and a face like a lictor.
    A 5 wound t6 monstrous creature who is hypertoxic and shrouded. this means any hit gains instant death on a wound roll of a 6 due to a toxic cloud. This includes its close combat attacks and its choking cloud

Choking Cloud; 12″ assault1 ignores cover, lg blast. Chocking cloud is S3, poisoned 2+ and against open topped vehicles or any vehicle that has lost a hull point the attack gains armour bane.

Maleceptor
    A 4 legged beast with two large scything talons
    A psyker level 2, synapse monstrous creature that has an invul save of 5+. It has shadows of the warp and a 4+ save.

It has the psychic power psychic overload, which is a 24″ focused witchfire. target must take a leadership test on 3d6 and vehicles count as leadership 10, failure causes d3 wounds no armor or cover saves allowed, and a causes a single glancing hit to vehicles, no cover save allowed. The maleceptor can do psychic overload three times a round, but cannot target the same model twice.

It can choose its remaining powers from the powers of the hive mind.
  • More end Times rumors coming out. Sounds pretty crazy, we have a unified Human faction possibly? And the fluff is taking the game in an entirely new direction, really and totally changing the setting.

Rant Session Tactics Corner Rules Lawyer List Review

38 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Comedy!”

1. Avatar
    Logan October 28, 2014 4:18 am #

Lash Whips are +3 Initiative instead of reducing enemy intiative. Another reason why I don’t understand GWs thinking with removing options for grenades for High Intiative non-imperial models. Yet IG (3 Initiative) and Orks (2 Initiative) they get assault grenades free or how you can purchase grenades for Carnifex (2 Initiative).

Reecius October 28, 2014 8:09 am #

Yeah, the grenade thing makes no sense to me, either. And thanks for the clarification on the lash whips.

2. Avatar
    bigpig October 28, 2014 5:09 am #

Maleceptor is so much fail if the current bs3 rumor holds out. Too bad. Toxicrene will be soso.

Logan October 28, 2014 5:32 am #

I can’t even agree with the soso for Toxincrene. It’s short range weapon and poor BS risks hitting himself with a possible ID attack. It competes with 3 MCs that are way better (Carni, T-Fex, Exocrine).

bigpig October 28, 2014 9:17 am #

Just trying to stay positive :). It does give options to deal with Wraithknights or Riptides if you know you will be facing those enemies. I really don’t see the shooting attack being used anyways. It should be running towards it’s target as this is a melee beastie. Decent number of attacks means it could possibly do something. …but, again the failings of WS3, 4+sv, sigh. It’s so so. Not really a starter for a competitive list, though. 🙁

3. Avatar
    N.I.B. October 28, 2014 5:24 am #

Please Reece, looking forward to you going mental on camera about another botched Tyranid release. A few laughs help against the pain.

Reecius October 28, 2014 8:14 am #

We’ll see how they play. I think we may be missing some of the rules…I hope we are?

Simon October 28, 2014 2:33 pm #

We are not. These Nid’s suck the emperors plums!

TinBane October 28, 2014 3:32 pm #

Or half their rules are encapsulated in a formation?
          If you buy 3, suddenly they get the two or three rules they need to be effective on the table top?

I shudder to think of the cost of these large kits. Failing by producing rubbish rules, for a faction that can’t rely on being carried by fluff, is bad.

If it were a “bad” space marine release, at least they’d make their money back. But every nid release like this is probably a decent loss for GW 🙁

4. Anvil
    anvilward88 October 28, 2014 5:44 am #

I don’t think that the petition is going to be successful. I read it over, and their are a few spelling errors, some things that were unnecessarily repetitive, and some run-on sentences. This is one of the few times where grammar is going to matter. Seriously, when it comes to something like this, the person organizing it should treat it like a cover letter or resume. Otherwise, a business will think that the petition was not taken that seriously, nor did those that signed it. There are some things that I would agree in the petition, but I can’t take it too seriously myself.

DCannon4Life October 28, 2014 7:01 am #

I noticed errors as well, and while I agree that spelling and grammar (and format, and style) count, the thought counts too. If the main points get ignored because of those deficiencies, c’est la vie. If you agree with the petition in principal, it’s still worth signing. I signed it. /shrug

5. Avatar
    Caleb Watson October 28, 2014 7:16 am #

Its not often I hate someone without meeting or knowing them. Yet the guy with this petition has achieved this. The sense of entitlement in his petition puts me into full on wolverine rage.
    If a company doesn’t want your feedback and opinion then they have the right to do so. Petition with your wallet.

I have no beef with GW they make models for a game I play. That is the extent of our relationship. Nothing personal about it. Its no different then my bank. I bank where I do because of convenience and national access. If I would become unsatisfied I’d just change banks.

If GW has faulty practices then their business wont survive. They will be consumed by a larger entity. That is the nature of business. The game would likely carry on. I have zero doubt about that.

So Mr Entitled do me a favor. Shoot yourself. Please for all of mankind.

Total side note Reece. Is Frankie really that dumb ir does he ham it up for the microphone? Sometimes I really think he is developmentally disabled. Don’t get me wrong he is great but I feel sad for him sometimes.

White925 October 28, 2014 8:46 am #

That was a very heart felt and violent comment haha.

On a side note I learn ed just well in schoolz o.k.

droozy October 28, 2014 5:12 pm #

Yikes. This comes off as a bit of ironic. You seem to be trying to get people to hate YOU without having met you. I hope there is more than a little trolling going on here. Be easy brother, it’s not that serious. Keep up the good work Frankie!

6. Avatar
    CNitram October 28, 2014 8:45 am #

New HH book for Night Lords, awwwww yeah!

Plus there’s rumors of a BA vs. Nids campaign (similar to Stormclaw).

My poor wallet!

TinBane October 28, 2014 3:34 pm #

It’s only 20 pages or so. It’s not a novel, or a book really. More a short story. I’ll let you know if it’s any good, if you like 🙂

TinBane October 29, 2014 2:59 pm #

Sooo, I was a bit disappointed. The book is well written, no doubt. And the idea of a “loyalist” night lord, ex chief-librarian is interesting. But at 13 pages long, I didn’t really feel like it earned the $5 AUD I spent on it.

It chronicles some of the background of a typical terran inductee, it covers his run in with Sevatar after the decree of Nikea, and that’s about it. And I’m being very generous with the word “covers”. It’s more like it gives you a two page taste of it.

7. Avatar
    iNcontroL October 28, 2014 9:37 am #

Toxicrene / malceptor are both pretty bad if everything holds up. I don’t even like the mal model 🙁 I am digging the toxicrene though.

Things that would save either/both of them to a certain extent that we haven’t seen JUST YET.

1. Lots of attacks (on the toxicrene).
    2. 12′ movement. Nids never get this save for gargants but man would that be amazing
    3. few key things missing. Give shrouding bubble to the toxicrene and it’s value goes way up. 5++ for malceptor? or is it 4++? etc

I don’t have high hopes on any of these. Sadly I am a part of the problem.. I will be buying 1-2 of each of these and then they will get a few games of play testing before becoming pretty little models on my shelf while the core nids do all the lifting… again.

bigpig October 28, 2014 9:56 am #

Current stat leaks, which are pretty reliable since the pics are floating around with them, place the Tox stats at;

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
      3 3 5 6 5 3 6 8 4+

Special rules
      Fearless, Instinctive behavior (feed), Poisoned 2+, Shrouded, Hypertoxic (6’s to wound inflicted by poisoned weapons whether in combat and in shooting= instant death)

Weapons/Biomorphs
      Acid Blood, Choking cloud, Lash whips, Toxic miasma

So, 6 attacks is pretty decent. If it has rending claws or “claws and teeth” also (to pair with lash whips), then it goes up to 8 attacks on the charge (likely it will be just 7). So, 3 or 4 hits giving a 50% chance to get an ID (slightly better on lower T models because you reroll 1s to wound). Meh….. As you said, if it truly had “spore cloud” rule, then it would be awesome because it could shroud an advancing nid rush.

I think the initial rumors of “monstrous beast” for 12″ move came from the fluff description of them. Nothing to support that seems to be panning out so far, but keeping fingers crossed.

Maleceptor just sucks. It seems that any possible assassin role they could have put it in was killed by BS3 and the high point cost.

Read more: http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thread/47940/toxicrene-malceptor-first-impressions?page=1#ixzz3HSlKuUaU

Jural October 29, 2014 9:55 am #

I really wonder how many maleceptors will sell at all. The toxicrene model is awesome at least, the maleceptor just looks like an Exocrine without the big gun (or confusing mouth thing of the haruspex…)

Jural October 28, 2014 11:07 am #

Wow, this is exactly what I didn’t need! The Haruspex is looking better and better… on the plus side, I can feel happy buying my barbed hierodule now.

I’m just wondering when we get a new type of gaunt, maybe a terragaunt? Twice the cost of a normal gaunt but with BS 5 and no ranged weapons… but awesome model.

8. Avatar
    ThePuck1 October 28, 2014 2:03 pm #

There seems to be a problem with the interview… I can only hear Reece on it.

Reecius October 28, 2014 2:06 pm #

It’s your speakers, not the podcast. You guys are on the cast.

ThePuck1 October 28, 2014 3:38 pm #

Yep, verified. *st00pid speakers*

TinBane October 28, 2014 3:37 pm #

When they do interviews, each person has one channel. So on my iPhone, Reece is on the left, and the interviewee is on the right.

In my old car set-up, for instance, I’d only hear the answers!!

9. Avatar
    rollawaythestone October 28, 2014 2:55 pm #

Something more interesting to come out of this weeks WD – apparently the WD staff play that if you have any sort of intervening models you get a cover-save. That is, Termagants can give cover to a Tervigon, Tyrant, and in the WD’s case, the Toxicrene.

bigpig October 28, 2014 2:58 pm #

The way we’ve been playing it. Good to see confirmation for all those out there who argue the opposite. I will say, though, that WD staffers are notorious for getting their own rules wrong at times 🙂

rollawaythestone October 28, 2014 3:02 pm #

Isn’t it sad that instead of a coherent FAQ, we are left to dig for second-hand scraps in order to interpret the rules properly? Sigh…

10. Avatar
    bigpig October 28, 2014 3:09 pm #

Rules with pictures.

Save up for a Dima and another Malanthrope 🙁 Unless you want the toxicreen for collection purposes. I do like the look of it, even if the rules suck so hard

Reecius October 28, 2014 3:27 pm #

Woooooooooooooooooow, those are bad….

Toxicrene would be acceptable, maybe, if it were not HS.

Wow.

Reecius October 28, 2014 3:28 pm #

Probably get a Toxicrene for collectoin but will not see the tabletop.

TinBane October 28, 2014 3:43 pm #

Don’t worry, Codex: Toxicrene will come out, with the “Silent But Deadly” formation. You take 8 Toxicrenes, and their toxic effect is twice as dangerous, and the AOE is increased to 48″ around each model.

Plus each turn you effect one of Blake’s blood angels, you get a victory point for defeating the master at his own game. 😛

So, better buy 8 for the collection.

bigpig October 28, 2014 3:51 pm #

Gonna vote with my wallet in this one I think. I like the Tox model but I already have enough unpainted toys that never hit the table. Only hope now is that the Leviathan supplement next month will gibe a decent formation buff

Alan October 29, 2014 3:18 pm #

I’m looking at the Toxicrene now, and I’m no ‘Nid expert by any means, but T6 with a 4+ seems like it’s going to get nice and ‘sploded early on. Hmmmmm, I don’t wanna jump to conclusions though so we shall see!

11. Avatar
    droozy October 28, 2014 5:13 pm #

Sorry to hear about the new store guys. That blows.

12. Avatar
    iNcontroL October 28, 2014 6:48 pm #

fucking hell the toxicrene and mal are horrible. Uhhhhggg

TinBane October 28, 2014 7:40 pm #

If you recast bits of them in lead, they work as paperweights, don’t they? What are you complaining for then 😛 Just be thankful that old uncle GW puts out such impressive paperweights.

After all, GWs is a paperweight business. Nobody buys their products for any other reason, other than to weigh down papers. Any other incidental uses for such weights, whether talk about online, raved about by store managers, or codified in books published by GW, are strictly incidental.

Eldarain October 28, 2014 9:57 pm #

Yeah. Not impressed. Just imagine a Toxicrene trying to fight anyone with Krak grenades. Ouch!

Not even sure how to approach a use for the Malesomething.