signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

8-30-14

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at 20% off! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at FrontlineGaming.org.

News

•  NOVA Open Recap

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

•  GW to release a set of 25 new paints?

Rant Session

Tactics Corner

Rules Lawyer

List Review

> Skimmer Maddness

> +++ 1500pt Necrons: Codex (2011) Roster (Combined Arms Detachment)) +++ >

+ HQ +

> * Necron Overlord w/(Mindshackle Scarabs, Phase Shifter, Sempiternal Weave , Warscythe, Catacomb Command Barge

* Royal Court: 2x Harbinger of the Storm

> * Necron Overlord w/ Mindshackle Scarabs, Phase Shifter, Sempiternal Weave, Warscythe, Catacomb Command Barge

* Royal Court: 2x Harbinger of the Storm

+ Troops +

> * 7x Necron Warriors w/ Ghost Ark

> * 7x Necron Warriors w/ Ghost Ark

> * 8x Necron Warriors w/ Night Scythe

+ Heavy Support +

> 3x Annihilation Barge (all tesla)

15 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Comedy!”

1. Greggles September 2, 2014 1:45 pm

Frankie’s wraithknight battle was amazing. That guy was freaking MVP extreme. Such a fun game just to watch.

That and vecht putting hull points on the knight. Just awesome.

Quick Vid of Reese’s Knight on Knight Action! (I was just testing video so not very long, but great to see the transformers in action)

A note on the nova brackets. Though the top brackets were ultra competitive, if you dropped down a few bracket levels, it got more fun and less competitive. It was almost like a tourney inside a tourney.

Heck there were even ork walkers and tide lists, all sorts of wild combinations. Even though those players weren’t top bracket, they all seemed to be having a crazy good time.

Highly recommend the trios (2v2 and 1v1 games with FW and LoW) and the narrative (FW, and low again) for people who just want to relax and have a good time. Beers were flowing at the trios, and the second narrative game goes to midnight…so you can imagine how fun that got! The narrative is also really good if you want to play other games, as it’s only twice a day, early and late, leaving the mid day to enjoy the GT or take some of the painting classes!

Reecius September 2, 2014 3:00 pm

It was great meeting you!Glad you had fun, we certainly did. And yeah, I agree, at the lower brackets there were some awesome lists and it seemed like a more laid back time, for sure.

2. Hotsauceman1 September 2, 2014 2:38 pm

You two will see me there next year. Even If I have to ride my bike there

Reecius September 2, 2014 2:58 pm

Nice!

• Hotsauceman1 September 2, 2014 3:36 pm

The FW/LOW thing is funny. I mean, how is a Vulture with TL punisher worse then a knight? Or seerstar

3. TinBane September 2, 2014 3:41 pm

One more time, then I’ll let it go, I promise:

The 270 degrees thing is crazy. Weapons don’t HAVE angles on their profile for how they shoot. In 40k it depends on the model (ie infantry, monsterous creature, vehicle). And for vehicles, it depends on the mount. If it’s in a turret it’s 360 degrees, etc.

The result, is that weapons have a facing (determined by the mount along the barrel), and in the case that it can’t move/that doesn’t work, then the facing is just a 45 degree arc in two dimensions.

The rule for the shield, doesn’t state that you can choose the angle at which it’s pointing. It says a forward pointing hull mounted weapon – ie you measure forwards, as the rule suggests, and work out a 45 degree arc. Not forwards at an angle. Not forwards as in “not backwards”. Forwards, as in a rational, non BS person’s interpretation. If someone tells you to drive your car forwards, you don’t go off on an angle.

I know one of the hardest jobs in 40k, is being the guy that has to make a ruling on the day. But it’s almost like they didn’t read the rulebook at all. It also conveniently skips over the bits about having a mounting point, and a barrel. If you are forced to declare that, does that mean you have to use the antenna thing next to the shuriken cannon/cat (ie it’s worse than 45degrees because the wings of the serpent obstruct the shot)?

• TinBane September 2, 2014 3:42 pm

Man, it felt good getting that out 😛

• bridges60 September 2, 2014 4:18 pm

agreed man, that is very strange.

Reecius September 2, 2014 4:36 pm

Yeah, I agree, but, that is the way they called it and I am sure they felt that it made sense. I am also sure they see some of what we do in the same way so, it just depends on your perspective.

• DarkLink September 2, 2014 6:30 pm

I’m betting the logic was “there’s no “serpent shield” on the actual model, so there’s not actually anything to measure 45 degrees from, so we can only assume that the shooting applies in the same arc as its protective ability, which for simplicity’s sake we’ll call 270 degrees”.

• DCannon4Life September 2, 2014 6:47 pm

It’s not a matter of perspective. It’s completely indefensible. 1) The Codex clearly states that it fires forward. 2) As a ‘fixed forward’ weapon it has a clearly defined ‘arc’ (45 degrees total). 3) There is no precedent for claiming a vehicle-based weapon can originate anywhere in a (roughly) 270 degree arc (that is, this ruling creates a completely separate class of weapons, unlike any other in 40K). 4) There is a Wave Serpent model that can (could) be used to establish the point of origin for the Serpent Shield–the Forge World model with the bit that bridges the two front parts of the hull. 5) ‘Forward’ means ‘forward’ (this one’s a bit snarky, but ffs are you kidding me with this?).

I play Eldar. I own more than my fair share of Wave Serpents. So, I’m not hating on this because I already hate Serpent Spam (I like mine with pineapple), I’m hating on this because it makes my brain hurt.

4. DarkLink September 2, 2014 6:47 pm

To be fair, I’m pretty sure that people only thought the wave serpent was bad before the codex actually came out, since the rumor made it sound like it got more expensive but didn’t gain anything.

The hate everyone had for the Wraithknight, though, was utterly inexplicable. People were so convinced Wraithknights were terrible, and I remember arguing alongside Reece that they would be amazing.

5. jy2
    jy2 September 2, 2014 10:02 pm

Every tournament has its “quirks”. Nova have 225 serpents. The BAO has Infiltrating IC’s that lets their unit infiltrate as well. No tourney is perfect and most will have some type of modifications to the rules. As long as they post it in their FAQ’s where everyone can see (and thus, know what they are getting themselves into), then I have no problems with it.

• Jural September 3, 2014 8:12 am

Yeah, BAO also had selective LoW and allowed allies to be from the same source as the CAD.

Great choices in my view, but certainly not RAW.

6. iNcontroL September 2, 2014 10:37 pm

nicely done gents! Enjoyed the recap 🙂 Think the criticism was fair and the praise was deserved!