signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

6-7-14

Intro

• Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube!  Join our Forums, too! If you would like to be a guest on the show, email Reece at Contact@FrontlineGaming.org
  • We sell tabletop games and supplies at 20% off! Hit us up for your next gaming order at Orders@FrontlineGaming.org or visit our webstore at FrontlineGaming.org.

News

• BAO News.
  • The next ITC event is the Wet Coast GT! June 28th-29th! It’s at the Executive Hotel in Burnaby, Vancouver, Canada.
  • New Scibor miniatures are out! They look great.

lion_knight_4_01 roman_pretorian_centurion_01 sf_egyptian_warrior_3_01

• Privateer Press releases the Cyphelix Mind Slaves and the Dominator, as well as Trollblood Horgle Ironstrike.

34116_CephalyxMindSlaverDrudges_WEB 41115_CephalyxDominator_WEB 71083_HorgleIronstrike_WEB

• Wargame Model Mods releases some super cool Necron style terrain!

DSCF2627

• Big thanks to Ken Turner for remastering the audio on our gaming mat commercials, man, the new ones are way better than the old ones and they are awesome!
  • Joe Drache from Ukiah had his Eldar stolen, which we all know is the worst. Pics in the show notes, it is a very distinct looking army. If you see it, please let us know so we can get it back to Joe.

270472_10151708785902277_653553940_n 1016106_10151708787752277_675046014_n

• Pupetswar releases some cool new robot duders!

puppetswar

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

•  Ork rumors.

Rant Session

Tactics Corner

Rules Lawyer

• I’ve come up with a Rules Lawyer issue that can make Necrons extremely cheesy.First off, Chariots and Necron Overlords now combine to be 1 single unit with 2 profiles (once they join, they cannot separate). Here, the argument is that because the Overlord is an IC, the combined Chariot/Overlord unit retains the Overlord’s IC status.

Therefore, imagine this. Overlord on CCB joins a unit of wraiths and act as an AV13 tank for them against small-arms fire! True…or too cheesy to even consider?

BTW, it was FAQ’d in the Daemon codex that Heralds lose their IC status when they take a chariot. However, there is no such FAQ for the Overlord+CCB combo.

List Review

This is a list I plan on taking to a wacky non competitive “tournament” and would really appreciate your advice on it!

HQ:

Tank Commander-463- Pask in an Executioner with plasma cannon sponsons and a hull mounted Lascannon and relic plating. A second Executioner with plasma cannon sponsons and a hull mounted Lascannon.

Tank Commander-340- Commander in a Punisher with heavy bolter sponsons. Exterminator with heavy bolter sponsons.

Troops:

Veteran Squad-90- 3x Melta guns

Chimera-65- hull mounted heavy Flamer

Veteran Squad-80- 2x flamers and a heavy Flamer

Chimera-65- hull mounted heavy Flamer

Fast Attack:

Vendetta-170

Vendetta-170

Heavy Support:

Leman Russ-160- hull mounted Lascannon

Leman Russ-160- hull mounted Lascannon

Leman Russ Vanquisher- 145- hull mounted Lascannon

This leaves me with 10 points left. What are your suggestions for changes or tweaks etc? The main idea is a lot of heavy armour (obviously).

29 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Comedy.”

1. AbusePuppy June 7, 2014 3:47 am #

As far as the list goes, I think swapping the Battle Tanks into something else would help it a lot. Exterminators, Eradicators, etc, all have a lot of strengths over the basic Russ. The Vanquisher should probably either be run by the Tank Commander or changed to something else- BS3 has just never felt reliable enough to me. You might consider running Armored Company as allies for some of your tanks- Beasthunter Shells are obviously a very strong thing, but you can also get some other cool stuff on the HQ models.

Running Pask in a Punisher would probably be superior, but I understand the draw of a superplasma squad. One Infantry Platoon in place of Vets would give you some guys to cram into the Vendettas, which would help out.

With regards to the CCB trick: it seems stupid but legal. The best argument I can see against it is that ICs cannot join units that contain any vehicles, so as soon as they join a unit they immediately disqualify themselves from being a part of it.

Reecius June 7, 2014 10:04 am #

I prefer the Punisher too, that many rending shots is savage.

2. Hush June 7, 2014 8:03 am #

The issue with joining a CCB to wraiths is it totally breaks the game. I target the unit then role to wound on majority toughness? There isn’t any rules for resolving shooting a unit with both T and AV values. So then you end up in a situation of trying to create some way of dealing with it.

I think the president is set in the Deamons codex FAQ, so the CCB shouldn’t be allowed to join units.

• jy2
      jy2 June 7, 2014 9:50 am #

I believe the player can allocate to the vehicle or to the guy, assuming the CCBlord is the closest. Thus, if allocated to the vehicle, then it is against AV. If allocated to the Overlord, then it is wounding based on majority toughness. That is the way it should be played….not that I would advocate allowing this shenanigan (Bargelord joining a unit) to be able to happen in the first place.

• AbusePuppy June 7, 2014 12:31 pm #

This is actually rules-correct as well- you must allocate HITS to either the vehicle or the rider, which then roll to wound or penetrate as appropriate.

Joining him to a unit is absolutely not a thing that should work, though, I think we’re in pretty universal agreement there.

Reecius June 8, 2014 12:30 pm #

Yeah, that is not going to fly! lol

3. joedrache June 7, 2014 9:21 am #

thanks guys

• jy2
      jy2 June 7, 2014 9:50 am #

Sorry to hear about that Joe. Your Eldar sure were unique.

Reecius June 7, 2014 10:04 am #

Hopefully that works and you find it!

4. chris June 7, 2014 10:03 am #

So.. speaking of things that are overpowered, why isn’t restricting waveserpents an option? They outclass pretty much everything right now.

Wyverns are quite worrying also.

• CNitram June 7, 2014 10:23 am #

You can’t really just pick and choose individual models to restrict. It would have to be a comp style org or no limits. You counter Wave Serpent alpha by hiding something durable out of LOS and reserving things that would die easy, provided Eldar have first turn.

• chris June 7, 2014 11:09 am #

True, but there’s active talk of capping warp charge, and changing invisibility and malefic daemonology.

I would put my vote towards making the serpent shield ranged attack one use only. And I still think they would be a top rate unit even then.

• ligolski June 7, 2014 1:49 pm #

The changes to jink should help reel in the shooting power of serpents if you can threaten them.

5. Chosen of Khorne June 7, 2014 2:11 pm #

I am not able to pull up any of the comments on the mobile version of the new website on my iPad. Any idea how to fix that?

• CNitram June 7, 2014 2:48 pm #

Same issue on my iPod.

• Joshhodg June 7, 2014 5:49 pm #

I’m extremely annoyed having to constantly switch the site back to desktop on my phone even though I never leave the site. So annoying.

• No_wegian June 8, 2014 8:01 am #

I’m assuming the change has something to do with their servers being down all morning on Friday. They must have changed something (not on purpose necessarily) that is limiting the flexibility of mobile devices accessing their site.

6. Julio Rodriguez June 7, 2014 10:53 pm #

Im having the same trouble trying to see the comments on my android mobile device. It just keeps loading and loading. Once I switch to the desktop view that’s when they show up.

Reecius June 8, 2014 10:51 am #

Yeah, mine is giving me that trouble, too. We migrated servers last week as we needed more space, and it caused some issues.

• Trueknight June 8, 2014 11:33 am #

I downloaded Mozilla for my tablet and am using that to see comments

Reecius June 8, 2014 11:37 am #

I think I fixed it.

• trueknight June 8, 2014 11:51 am

Yupp just switched back to Google chrome… All good now!

Reecius June 8, 2014 12:31 pm

Nice!

7. RoockieBoy June 8, 2014 3:11 am #

Desktop rules!

8. Cristian June 8, 2014 4:14 pm #

Regarding the BAO, will there be other games besides 40k? Fantasy, Malifaux,Warmahordes etc. like the LVO?

Reecius June 8, 2014 4:53 pm #

There will be other games, yes! For sure Warmahordes, and DzC, possibly some others. We will not do Fantasy as the QCR is the weekend before us this year.

• Cristian June 8, 2014 5:57 pm #

Ah, I wondered if you were aware of the QCR. Good to know you follow the fantasy tournament scene as well.

• David June 8, 2014 8:11 pm #

Do you see a time when 40k isn’t the main attraction at the BAO or LVO?