signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

Sorry for being late everyone we have been super busy at the Torrent of Fire Invitational.

big momma desert 2 desert

• All the first issue of Knights have been shipped out. The rest will ship as soon as we have them but expect some delays.

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

Rant Sessions

• Discuss the ToF Invitational

Tactics Corner

Rules Lawyer

List Review

Hugh here all the way from Ireland (the guy who said he’d try to get some people to go to a LVO in the future). Here’s the list I’ll be running in an upcoming Irish tourney. I used to run a Hell turkey but I got sick of lugging it around (stupid thing needs its own case) so I’m trying out the screamers as they are fast enough to keep up with the FMCs and guaranteed Invisibility on them is bitchin’.

Primary: Chaos Daemons

Kairos Fateweaver: warlord; .

Plaguebearers of Nurgle: 10 plaguebearers; .

Plaguebearers of Nurgle: 10 plaguebearers;

Plaguebearers of Nurgle: 10 plaguebearers;

Fast Attack

Screamers of Tzeentch: 8 screamers;

Heavy Support:

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch: wings, warp-forged armour, mastery level 3, 1 greater reward;

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch: wings, warp-forged armour, mastery level 3, 1 greater & exalted reward;

Secondary: Chaos Space Marines

Be’Lakor The Dark Master:

Chaos Cultists: 10 cultists;

Hit me up with your thoughts/criticism.

Hugh Murphy

22 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Jokes!”

1. Pascal Roggen March 2, 2014 6:59 pm

There are large templates that ignore cover and kill just as much as D’s[hello o’vesa star]. Sure you could get invuls,but it only matters vs thing with invuls, if you don’t have any, there are already a plethora of long range template weapons that ignore cover and kill on a 2+. but a D doesn’t just remove everything, you need to roll a 2+, it’s not instant death, you can look out sir for your important models, it can scatter and you can hide behind LOS blocking terrain. Also if you have 3 wounds or more a single hit won’t always kill you.

if revenants had the old rules were they couldn’t move 36 AND shoot, it’d still be scary, but at least you could get it in combat quick, where it loses 🙂

I hope after people get used to just the tip of the D with the knight, they’ll be able to take a lot more….;P

Nice cast as always boys, totally with you on the playing in front of an audience Geoff. I also perform in front of audiences for money and people cheer… hot damn, getting that buzz with 40k, yes please 🙂

• Gordy March 2, 2014 9:03 pm

Yeah, because there’s so much stuff out there with 4+ wounds outside of, what, Nids, and there are absolutely no armies that are very low model count that rely heavily on being individually durable to avoid getting tabled (and while this is true of the 2++, I’m not talking about them)…

Melee Str D isn’t as big of a deal, but shooting Str D? Well, every one of my armies just got invalidated, because I like elite armies, and no, I don’t play Daemons or the Seer Council. I’m going to play Infinity now.

• Pascal Roggen March 2, 2014 10:17 pm

actually, 3 wounds is enough to survive a D, 4 wounds you have a good chance. chapter masters and captains both qualify. riptides, commanders, demon princes.. heck, far seers can survive.

and that’s if they aren’t in a unit to look out sir, or flying in the air… or in a cheap transport to take the first hit.

elite armies can hide easier move faster and hit harder. {if they don’t it aint great:P] than hordes of cheapies. you should be able to make that count, saying a single large blast invalidates a whole concept is .. a bit crazy.

say you run bikes, a large blast might hit 3, but even a one inch scatter that’s down to 2 guys.. you still need to 2+ wound.

the only unit which will take a huge adjustment to is the revenant.. but single large blast D?? how many games have you played vs them? I’ve down quite a few and.. well they weren’t a problem and I didn’t change my list at all[ though it is highly mobile and packs a lot of melta anyway]

what armies do you play that got invalidated? I play Ba and they “suck” didn’t invalidate mine. do you play with an average of 12 pieces of terrain per board with a fair amount of LOS blocking terrain? cause… that’s important:)

• Gordy March 3, 2014 3:27 pm

Deathwing and Grey Knights can’t ‘move faster’ or ‘hit harder’. And the Warhound drops 4 5″ Str D blasts a turn.

Trust me, I’ve played multiple games with various Str D platforms, and it does not make for a balanced or fun game. For all your talk about outplaying your opponent and taking lots of targets and being more mobile and hiding out of LOS, even an army as fast and easy to hide as mech eldar just dies. All LOS blocking terrain means is that the non-titan player will hide behind terrain literally all game, until the absolute last second where they try and run out to grab objectives.

If you’re not spamming Str D, your army just became utterly irrelevant. Even the much-vaunted counter of Drop Pod Space Marines are fairly easy to defend against, just take cheap infantry and bubble-wrap. Melta won’t do you any good outside of half range against AV 14 with Void Shields and the like.

2. novaStar March 2, 2014 7:37 pm

really? we had to have another incontrol episode…. let down =(

Reecius March 4, 2014 11:20 am

Let’s stay polite to our guest hosts, please. We enjoy having them.

3. Gordy March 2, 2014 9:09 pm

I love the logic of some of the people who argue Str D will solve the game:

“If we allow the D, people will stop playing 2++ stars and the game will be awesome”.

“But what if people start spamming Str D and then everyone who isn’t running a Revenant gets tabled?”

“….never mind that, we won’t have to play against the 2++, and that’s the only thing that matters, and there’s obviously absolutely no other possible way to deal with the 2++, and there’s absolutely no way this plan could go wrong, no chance at all”.

• Pascal Roggen March 2, 2014 10:21 pm

you’d be in the same position as now, except you can actually kill a revenant or hold it up in combat [tough but doable] and it grants vp’s.
      The best thing that could happen is that it makes people actually use the amount of terrain you are meant to use in 6th ed, plus more LOS blocking terrain, so shooting armies don’t just walk you off the board.

• Adam
        Adam March 3, 2014 11:20 am

Yes, the Revenant might go out and obliterate the first tournament it’s allowed in, but so what? That will just make it a huge target for the next round. Like you said, unlike the 2++ star, there are actually things in the game, which most armies have access to, that are pretty acceptable at killing it, people just need incentive to take them.

Reecius March 4, 2014 11:20 am

So what? That means the people that get shit on by it might not come back, ever! Haha, that’s what.

• Gordy March 3, 2014 3:28 pm

Have you actually played a game against those thing? Because I don’t think you have, or if you did, the player controlling the Titan was incompetent.

4. Jason Brown March 2, 2014 9:12 pm

Knights don’t give up VPs for Hull Points; not a lord of war. Also they are both scoring and denial units.

• fleetofclaw March 2, 2014 11:19 pm

Yeah they kind of goofed that one… like a lot.

Reecius March 3, 2014 9:33 am

Well, not really. We got the Stomp and D attacks wrong, flatly. But, a lot of the stuff, as you can see in the comments, is debatable.

Reecius March 3, 2014 9:36 am

It is unclear on the LoW thing yet, the rules don’t address that, only the FB post. And, the same post said they were scoring only in the primary detachment unless you have seen something I have not.

5. iNcontroL March 3, 2014 10:44 am

Really? We had another novastar comment… Let down 🙁

• Novastar87 March 3, 2014 1:44 pm

Sorry but every time your on the podcast it’s a hey we got super drunk last night and are fucking around hahah…. Not my thing, you say you want to bring 40k more main stream, how about a tad more professionalism when you take the cohost chair? I will say I enjoy your battle reports but not podcast, sorry you can’t take a mild critique, please keep up the bat reps though I find them fun, entertaing and the optimism you have for your army is refreshing change from the internet downers

• TrueKnight March 3, 2014 1:59 pm

^^^ Haters gonna hate, yo.

Reecius March 4, 2014 11:21 am

You guys, chill out. Insults are not constructive criticism on either end, so be cool.

6. iNcontroL March 3, 2014 2:02 pm

Except in the podcast we didn’t just talk about getting drunk in fact it was barely mentioned and Frankie brought it up not me. The idea that you enjoy the bat reps but dislike my podcast appearances is hilariously inconsistent. I joke way more during the bat reps. It’s fine though, thankfully I’m super used to Internet idiots like yourself 🙂 cya next time!

7. Novastar87 March 3, 2014 2:18 pm

I expect one thing from the pod cast and another from bat reps. Good to know that because I don’t like something you do I’m an “internet idiot” I could reply any number of ways but I won’t stoop down to your level, have a good day

8. iNcontroL March 3, 2014 2:22 pm