signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

• Upcoming Fantasy GT: the Slobberknocker GT (
  • Upcoming Fantasy GT: the Lost Souls GT (
  • We want to wish good luck to ThundergingJove, who set a goal to lose 23 lbs and when he does so, he will treat himself with a Thunderhawk Gunship!
  • One of our listeners, Peter W. asked us to take a look at All Quiet on the Martian Front again, which we covered in their very cool and successful KickStarter. It is a cool looking game, 15mm scale, WWI era with retro looking Martians vs. Humans!

all quiet

• Matt Everhart used the advice we gave on his solid Eldar list a few episodes ago and he said it worked out great!
  • New Bushido Miniature is out! It’s a double headed snake and it’s gonna get ya!

• Listener Lord Wellingstone sent us some awesome minis he painted up, we especially like the Doombull to Bloodthrister conversion!

bloodthirster dp guo1 guo2 herald1 herald2 skullcannon

• The Frontline Gaming and Tablewar mats are starting to get reviewed! Check out this one by Bill’s Raving Rant! Bill got an Alpine mat.
  • You have to see these awesome Ogre conversions! Avengers and X-Men ogres!

• People are lovin the Gaming Mats! Pictures coming in from all over the place.

urban combat

unnamed (1) unnamed (2) unnamed (3) unnamed

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

Rant Session

I have been a avid 40k gamer since 2003 and only recently started going to local RTTs. My wife is wanting to go to Vegas next year, and she is open to us going to the LVO. I have never traveled to play 40k, much less to a city like Vegas. If you can spare a couple minutes for some questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. How much cash should I bring to spend on stuff like food, and other stuff that you end up having to buy when you travel to a tournament? And would you suggest credit cards instead of cash?
2. Is there anything that a small town guy should know about Vegas? Like how to avoid accidentally soliciting prostitution? 😉
3. What case should I bring my army in? I have a KR case but it is large and I don’t think it will pass as a carry on. I play Vanilla Marine Bikes with Thunder fires and Talons.
4. What kind of things will my wife be doing with the group lead by Reecius’s wife? She wants to know what kind of stuff to expect.
5. Lastly anything that you think I should be aware of for traveling to play 40k.
I really appreciate any kind of help you could give me here. This trip will have to be saved for all year, and I need to have a good idea of the budget I need to work out.

Tactics Corner

• The Sicaran Battle Tank is bad ass, for those looking for a new addition to their Marine army.

Rules Lawyer

•  Ryan B. asks: can I use interceptor on units that use Gate of Infinity, Veil of Darkness or a similar ability that causes them to move around the table as if Deep Striking?
    • No you do not, as interceptor only works on units arriving from reserve.
    • When it comes to Tau allying with battle brothers, can the Tau unit’s supporting fire rule extend to allied units?Example: My Canoptek Wraiths charge a unit of Eldar Dire Avengers. The Dire Avengers are four inches away from a squad of three Tau Broadside Battlesuits. The broadsides are well in range of a battle brother unit that is considered a friendly unit and the text to supporting fire reads “When an enemy unit declares a charge, all friendly models with this special rule in units within 6” of the charging unit’s target can choose to fire Overwatch as if they were also targets of the charge. Remember that a unit can still only fire Overwatch once each phase.”Would this mean that the broadsides could in fact overwatch in response? I assume so, I just hope otherwise. This whole Battle Brothers thing has gone too far …Thanks in advance for any help guys!

List Review

Hi Guys,

Got a list, trying to break out of running/trolling with Beastpack bomb for a while and trying out an 1850 Chaos/Rustycrons ‘Night of the Living Dead’ List

HQ – Typhus

HQ – Chaos Lord, Mark of Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh, Burning Brand, Power Axe, Meltabombs

Troops – 30 Zombies

Troops – 30 Zombies

Troops – 30 Zombies

Troops – 10 Zombies

Fast – Helldrake

Fast – Helldrake

HQ – The Stormlord

+ Cryptek – Harbringer of Eternity with Chronometron

Troops – 5 Necron Warriors – Nightscythe

Troops – 5 Necron Warriors – Nightscythe

Bastion – Comms Relay

Notes –

Zombies aren’t technically marked so the MoSlaanesh Lord can join and outflank a unit (Steed grants Outflank)

Stormlord = auto nightfighting + lightning and Cryptek allows re-roll to keep it if in Stormlords unit (per FAQ)

Bit flyer heavy to capitalise on Fliers being less prevalent so anti flier dropping away, also for a non forgeworld tournament. 3 Zombie units take my board side and shuffle around the Bastion with Typhus whilst one outflanks (maybe with Typhus too) and the Necron Warriors fly about and go for late game grabbing.

Land Raiders would troll me but they are rare these days (famous last words).

Gotta love Zombies!

Chris (looking forward to getting my megamatt so I can use it for top table at another tornament i’m running!!!!)

27 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Comedy!”

1. joedrache February 25, 2014 1:39 pm #

How about using Horus Heresy minis/rules from FW?? i really wanna play the adeptus mech from ‘Massacre”

2. Adam
    Adam February 25, 2014 1:53 pm #

Not that’s a huge nerf, but FW already FAQ’d the Sicaran to 13/12/12… That said it’s still awesome and I can’t wait for it to come to Chaos Marines (which FW said is coming). 🙂

Reecius February 25, 2014 4:20 pm #

Nice one, thanks for pointing that out.

• dr.insanotron February 25, 2014 4:33 pm #

You also didnt mention that its a Fast Tank

Reecius February 25, 2014 4:36 pm #

Did I say that?

Reecius February 25, 2014 4:56 pm #

Oh shnap, I missed that! WOW, that is what a Tank should be!

• Adam
            Adam February 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Yeah, it’s pure beast mode… I’m just waiting for FW to make those chaos rules before I buy 3… and maybe after I paint my new knights, haha.

Reecius February 25, 2014 6:44 pm

Yeah, legend! I am definitely ordering one.

• dr.insanotron February 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Its so much better then a Predator its not even funny

Reecius February 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Yeah, and for about the same points…lol!

• Paul Corneluis February 26, 2014 2:43 pm #

WHAT?!? That book just came out!

Dude, that’s a faster change then what they did to the Mortis Contemptors BS!

3. XinZ February 25, 2014 2:51 pm #

Those are some sexy gamers … I mean gaming mats. Yeah , that’s what meant.

4. Miho February 25, 2014 4:22 pm #

Hey I wanted to contribute towards LVO experience attending as a wife of the player to the person thinking of going next year. You should totally take your partner with you. There were PLENTY of things I could do during the day and I went off on mini adventures during each round as well as being there every now and then at the tournament cheering! Everyone was super friendly at the tournament and streets really safe, so there is nothing for her to worry about! She could go off and do sight-seeing and shopping etc… We brought plenty of snack because there isn’t really enough time between the rounds to go out for meals, so snacking is vital for hard battle (it’s an endurance game right?). We didn’t gamble nor drink the whole weekend so Las Vegas doesn’t have to be as lavish as people think! Just go for it :-))))

Reecius February 25, 2014 4:55 pm #

Thanks for that, Miho!

5. trueknight February 25, 2014 6:01 pm #

Got my battle at today!!! Thanks guys, it was a welcome sight to see the package leaning against the door when I got home. Can’t wait to put it to use!!!

6. novastar87 February 25, 2014 8:31 pm #

Can’t you also make the sicaran immune to melts rule for 20 points

Reecius February 25, 2014 9:16 pm #

Keeps getting better!

7. Baal Viper February 26, 2014 7:35 am #

Pretty down on Chaos Marines there Reecius 🙁 For one point more than a Battle Sister, a Chaos Marine gets +1 S, WS, I, T, and they have basically the same wargear/unit size option, with Chaos having access to Plasma Guns and Marks if desired. Chaos players love to hate on their troops but other Codexes have it just as bad. My wife runs sister of battle and would certainly pay an extra point for that stat line boost, plus the option to mark them if desired.

8. Hotsauceman1 February 26, 2014 8:43 am #

The police are very lenient in vegas. I accidentally punched someone who jumped out at me(He was pretending to be a statue and jumped at me)
    They where laughing

• Hotsauceman1 February 26, 2014 8:46 am #

And also. The are food courts with cheap food in vegas. like in Ballys there was a sunbway me, JY2, Creepycrawly and theirs spent most of out food on

9. Paul Corneluis February 26, 2014 2:44 pm #

AW! Thanks for the shout-out about my weight-loss motivator. Hearing it last night really put the pain in my late-night eating plans.

Reecius February 26, 2014 4:45 pm #

Hey, we wish you success!

10. Jay Pena February 26, 2014 7:00 pm #

So y’all said y’alls’ battle mats are almost gone. Will y’all be ordering more or is it one and done?

Reecius February 26, 2014 10:39 pm #

We will be fully restocked in April with new designs, too!

11. nimrod451 February 27, 2014 2:33 am #

LVO was super – super fun, and I’d suggest it to anyone for their first tournament as it was me and 2 of my other friends first big tournament/GT thingy.

I checked my army (at the airport) on the way to LVO – I have a GW hard case (which is huge and which is why I didn’t carry it on.) and if you pack it with foam it’ll fly pretty well. Even when the people at TSA didn’t relock the case on the way back and tore my zipper (which they lovingly tapped back up with TSA packing tape) there was a little damage, like a guy fell off a base.

What Reece and Frankie said is true, if its your first big event I suggest also being conservative for what you’re doing. One of my friends played the three games on Friday, and then Beerhammer that night – he was crushed on Saturday hehe. Food is fine, for example the hotdogs at the little place below the venue were pretty affordable. You can make Vegas expensive if you want, but it can be affordable as well if your careful..

Make sure you socialize and say hi to people – one of the funnest nights I had was hanging out while my buddy played Beerhammer and I was BSing with the DiceAbide Folks… and Sunday when the final was going on and you could hang out and see a bunch of cool people really interested in the game.

Also show up early! We showed up the night before, Thursday night signed up and hung out in the venue saw the tables and everything..