signals from the Frontline

Show Notes

12-14-13

News

• We got your room rates down at Ballys! BOOM! https://aws.passkey.com/g/20074284 The rate hasn’t been updated on the site yet, but it will be so on MONDAY. If you already booked, you will be credited at the event for the difference! And that is for Friday and Saturday night.
  • LVO Poll Results are in!

• Sweet video from the Narrative Campaign guys down in South Bay! Looks awesome!
  • Big Thanks to Brent Selle who was nice enough to send us some terrain for the LVO! Thanks!
  • Big Thanks to Anonymou5, Ben Mohlie, Goatboy, Hulksmash and HippestHippo, and everyone else that backed our play with the changes to the LVO we enacted.
  • The Quake City Rumble is about to kick off for another year!
  • Check out TSFHT Seattle in January.

Rumors: The Rumor Section is gathered from the web and is not in any way information we receive from  any manufacturer nor is it necessarily accurate. This section of the podcast is intended for entertainment purposes only.

• Bugs!

Rant Session

Because it’s Friggin Cool That’s Why

The view from inside my garage.

By Mercutioh

There is a new round of internet outrage and sensationalism regarding the tournament players and the

newest expansions released by Games Workshop. What’s being lost in all of this, is actually how friggin

cool the new releases are. Everyone who started to play this game didn’t sign up to play because they

wanted to stand across the board from a stranger and argue about rules interpretations from 4 different

codices and how they interact. We all saw a game about the nigh invincible Human Empire and how it is

besieged on all sides by legions of death.

Holed up inside staunch battlements our heroes feel the rumble of enemy war machines shaking the

very foundations that protect them. They load their artillery and pray it’s strong enough. I know there’s

a lot of jokes that go around on Frontline about Forging a Narrative. But sometimes it just is that cool to

lose yourself in the thought of Giant Space death robots stomping towards my Fortress of Solitude.

Are there some Wonky Rules? Oh HELL yes. But we didn’t all start playing this game for rules. We play it

because it’s Friggin Cool. So take a moment not just to wax hulk-like as you rage, rage against the dying

of the game, but rather to remember how cool it is to line up across from a friend and his Giant Space

Death Robot and blast that sucker off the table.

• Why it’s good to have a limit on 2 total factions in an army.

Tactics Corner

Rules Lawyer

List Review

Hi,

Just started listening to the show, and have gone through the entire available back catalogue… (Pity there isn’t more). I go by the handle on forums as Yardsman. Been collecting since the start of the year and thought I’d get more into the tournament scene in 2014.

Thought I fling you a couple of small 750pt lists I intend to run at a no comp, tough as nails tournament circuit that runs in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia every year called Force Z.

First off is an IG list (the army I currently collect):

Company Command Squad

Veteran Squad: 3× meltagun.

• Chimera 55

Veteran Squad: 2× plasma gun.

• Chimera

1 Scout Sentinel: autocannon; hunter-killer missile.

Leman Russ Battle Tank

Leman Russ Executioner

750 points

The idea is to blast away with the tanks. Get objectives with the Vets. Out flank with the sentinel, to keep em’ on their feet! And hope the command squad doesn’t bite the dust!

Second is an Iron Hands Space Marines (made up of the units I have and a drop pod I’m get):

Chapter Master: The Shield Eternal; artificer armour; thunder hammer.

• 5 Honour Guards: Chapter Champion (thunder hammer), 2 power swords, power axe & power maul.

Ironclad Dreadnought: hurricane bolter; chainfist, flamer.

• Drop Pod

5 Tactical Marines: Space Marine Sergeant (plasma pistol; chainsword); plasma gun.

750 points

Basically get the Ironclad up in there grill. Target there scoring units with the chapter master & honour guard. Secure objectives with the Tactical Marines.

All help appreciated.

18 Responses to “Signals from the Frontline: Warhammer 40K and General Gaming News, Rumors, Tactics and Jokes”

1. Isaac Neal December 14, 2013 7:48 am

On a wholly unrelated topic forgeworld gave your Night Lords some love. The models look boss. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/NIGHT_LORDS_NIGHT_RAPTORS.html

Reecius December 14, 2013 8:37 am

Oh wow, those are boss! I missed that.

2. mercutioh December 14, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks for the shout out. I’m sure I’m going to be feeling the “D” in the comments section.

Mercutioh did die. Which makes it appropriate for me as a 40k handle too.

Reecius December 14, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks for writing in, bud.

3. Hotsauceman1 December 14, 2013 8:37 am

Im not gonna bring Coteaz. If the bonus does not apply wheb most likely others will bring the 100 points is better spent somewhere else. like a 5 thunderfire cannon

Reecius December 14, 2013 9:01 am

You can still bring him, buddy. Just not him AND an ally.

• Hotsauceman1 December 14, 2013 9:28 am

Im saying that if coteaz is across the board that is 100 points wasted for me, that could be a thunderfire or a Landspeeder

Reecius December 14, 2013 10:23 am

Ah, right. Yes, good point.

4. Reecius
    Reecius December 14, 2013 8:59 am

To the List writer, hahaha, Frankie and I are tards! We didn’t realize it was two lists, not 1! Sorry.

• Jason Brown December 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Who needs hooked on phonics now?

Reecius December 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Me! haha

5. Pascal Roggen December 14, 2013 3:02 pm

lovely cast as always, my only niggle being jy2’s list. no way is bringing a ground based super heavy a way to make a list to combat revenant[unless you too are bringing one:)] The darn thing is pretty much the trump card for ground based big point targets and bringing a super just means it can more efficiently remove your points from the table.

Also you can stop a Rev from getting inside void shields by having good placement of your own army so it can’t land legally in that twelve inch bubble.

You could still bring a ground based super to a rev fight, but it’d have to go in reserves most likely and you’d have to bring other titan killing stuff like drop pods or other deep strikers to take it off in one or at most two turns.

I’ll watch the battle report when it comes but I think Jy2 may have missed a trick

Reecius December 14, 2013 3:21 pm

I’m sure there’s tricks to it or things JY2 could have done better in 20/20 Hindsight, but I think the point stands that the Rev is crazy! haha

Reecius December 15, 2013 7:42 pm

True, I am sure we can find some errors here and there but the point stands: the Rev is disgustingly OP.

6. Bhatrhari December 14, 2013 9:06 pm

This one isn’t showing up on my podcast thing for android. Same thing happened last week though it did eventually pop up.

Reecius December 15, 2013 7:43 pm

It may take some time to fix, we’re short staffed at the moment.

7. nimrod451 December 14, 2013 10:37 pm

thanks for the shout out gentleman, it wasn’t necessary just gald to help..

hopefully my limited artistic abilities and lofty ideas made it usable terrain as well!

..and props to Frankie saying my name mostly right.. you do indeed pronounce the name.. but its a hard “e” like, tree. not a French sounding a like in lay… so to sum up I think hooked on phonics would have made him say it way wrong… heh so props!

Reecius December 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Haha, in fairness, I screwed that one up, too!