Let’s Talk Lists: TAC Dark Angels, 1750pts

nintendonerdlord

Yoooo!!! This is the 1750 Balanced Dark Angels TAC list I am looking at, these days.

Dark Angels 1750 Pts
Heavy Support
Whirlwind 1 65
Vindicator Seige Shield 1 135
Fortification
Aegis Quad Gun 1 100
Totals 44 1720

So what’s so special about this list?

I wrote it, so it must be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, not really, but I think this is a really solid TAC list, and here’s why.

First of all, I really like the Dark Angels book. I love the flexibility of not HAVING to take unit upgrade characters like sarges, etc. Being able to keep your units cheap if you choose is awesome and allows for so much more flexibility in list building. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, Phil Kelly!

So why do I like the list?

The recent FAQ allowed Ravenwing Command squads to be taken 5 strong. That is a really big increase in both offense and defense. Those Black Knights are really powerful. With speed, a ton of deployment options, powerful shooting and assault, they really do pack a wallop. The option to take an apothecary helps to shore up their low model count, and attached characters also benefit from that as well. The toughness 5 means not much can ID them and take away that extra save.

The level 2 libby brings the incredible tool kit that is Divination to the table. Every power in that school is good. If you get ignore cover or reroll successful saves? Your offense just went ballistic. The 4++ also is amazing, and really helps the unit out a ton. The combination of the libby and command squad I think will make a really versatile and hard hitting unit.

Good old Bolter slinging Tac squads in the troops section. Stubborn, ATSKNF, low points cost, Combat Squads. Awesome. The Scout squad is great for camping an objective, and can outflank to go after backfield objectives, too if needs be.

The Siege Dread in a Dreadnought Drop Pod is absolutely awesome. The versatility, points efficiency and potentially devastating first turn impact this unit can have can not be underrated. For my money, the Seige Dread is one of the best FW units available to Marines.

The Contemptor Dread is a swiss army knife. It does a bit of everything and provides another layer of AA. Plus the model is boss.

Hyperios Missile Launchers are an incredible value and really bring a lot of durability and fire power. They go great behind an Aegis line with a Quad Gun, which provides even more AA.

The Whirlwind also camps out behind the Aegis and provides you with a bargain price on that crucial barrage firepower. Anything not in Power Armor (or better) fears this low priced unit. Fire Warriors, Cultists, IG, etc. all get smashed by AP4 or better barrage weapons. Plus, barrage sniping is one of the best tactics in 6th ed.

The Land Speeder Squad is a bit of a glass hammer, but damn does it bring the heat. Typhoons pack a huge punch, and the combination of speed, range, and flexibility makes them a huge threat to infantry and armor. They also have the speed to hang out near the biker libby and get a huge benefit from his powers. These guys ignoring cover, twin linked or forcing a reroll on successful saves become disgustingly potent.

Lastly, ye trusty old Vindicator. He is such a useful tool. A durable, strength 10 blast weapon shores up so many holes. They threaten 2+ save units, heavy armor, toughness 5 and lower multi-wound models, etc. This is a unit that is always useful.

So there you have it. A list that has tools for everything. A bit light on model count which is a weakness in a war of attrition, but I think it’s strengths make up for the shortcomings.

This list has 30pts left over for upgrades to taste.

What say you all?

35 Responses to “Let’s Talk Lists: TAC Dark Angels, 1750pts”

1. jadedknight May 17, 2013 12:53 am

For the 30 points I’d look at the displacer field for your libby. That makes the rerolling divination power a beast. We all know how nasty a rerolleable 3++, T5 FNP tank can be. Really everything is great except of course for scryers’ gaze.

I’ve had great success with this exact unit.

The other option is slapping two plasma cannons or ML’s on the tacticals just so they can contribute.

Reecius May 17, 2013 8:52 am

I was thinking the same thing. Heavy weapons on the Tac squads gives them more flexibility.

I was thinking possibly the power field, too. The Displacer field does make him pretty damn tough.

2. umbo May 17, 2013 6:08 am

nice list Reece, tho land speeders wont get ignore cover from the libby as that power is for his unit only. Still is awesome considering all the plasma in that unit.

Reecius May 17, 2013 8:49 am

Ah yes, good catch, thanks! Twin linked is still pretty boss, though.

3. David Key May 17, 2013 8:16 am

Nice list. I always appreciate the flexibility and diverse threat tool kit you integrate into your lists(Except for that 15 landspeeder- Bjorn thing you were doing for a bit there. Did not really appreciate that! =) )

Reecius May 17, 2013 8:53 am

Haha, yeah, my Bjorn wolves were pretty OP.

Have you tried your Necron Deathstar this edition? I am curious to see how it works.

4. Vidar May 17, 2013 8:39 am

So many threat vectors. Not a beginners list. I would really like to see someone play DA who has the potential to win tournaments.

Reecius May 17, 2013 8:54 am

I think this list has the tools to do it. The only real weakness is the low model count, otherwise it covers every base. I have the models for this list and plan on taking it out in a video bat rep, but I have been crazy, crazy busy with administrative work lately, haven’t been able to play.

• fluger May 17, 2013 9:00 am

The low model count would scare me were I using this army.

I get you are trying to save points, but why NO specials/heavies at all in there?

Reecius May 17, 2013 9:17 am

I saved 30 points for upgrades, so you could certainly add some goodies in the squads if you wanted to. I wanted to hear other folks’ ideas too, to see if they spotted something I missed or had a good idea for a wargear combo.

• fluger May 17, 2013 1:09 pm

I see that now. If it were me, I’d throw some missile launchers on them and call it a day. They’re versatile weapons and only add 20 pts more to the cost. Go with a flamer in each as well, potentially. So, you get a tactical marine squad comparable to C:SM, but 15 pts less, lose Ld9 on the sarge and his paltry bonus attack and gain stubborn. Sounds like a win to me.

Personally, I’ve been messing around with 100 strong DA lists, but then again, I play at 1999+1 around where I play, so the scale is different.

Reecius May 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah, I was thinking either the old trusty ML/Flamer combo or the Power Field on the Libby.

I was enjoying the 100+ ideas, too! You can fit it quite easily and I have the models for it and it would be good fun. At 1750 though, it would be rough to fit in everything else you need.

• fluger May 17, 2013 3:38 pm

responding to the 100+ model post, this is my 1999+1 list I concocted.

Librarian: 65

10 Devastators: 220
            4 Lascannons

10 Devastators: 220
            4 Lascannons

Aegis Defense Line: 85
            Icarus Lascannon

The idea is to create pressure from multiple sources and just be versatile. The 4 units in drop pods can either help me clog the middle or go after backfield units. I can drop either one of each or go more specific as either one is more tailored towards either infantry or vehicle killing.

Obviously I don’t have a good answer for Heldrake lists, but I think it would wreck face against almost everything else.

Reecius May 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Nice! And honestly, unless you’re playing triple dragon, I don’t think it would be that bad as you have so many bodies. They’d have to target that Icarus first, or risk losing a Dragon a turn. That means they really only have 3-5 turns of shooting with the Drakes.

• fluger May 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah, outside of triple heldrake, I think this list has a decent response to just about everything else.

Reecius May 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Absolutely, with that volume of MEQ bodies, there seriously isn’t much you can’t take on.

5. jciscon May 17, 2013 8:45 am

I like it! however I didnt think hyperios could go up to groups of 4, just 1-3. I would put some of those extra points into giving the mortis CML and lascannons.

Although I originally thought the kheres were the best, given the recent change to rending when it comes to Armour penning and the relative ease flyers can stay out of the bubble, the lascannons (tl and he’s bs 5, he is NOT missing) have proven to be the better bet for me.

Reecius May 17, 2013 8:55 am

I am fairly certain the Hyperios are 1-4, but I will double check when I get into the shop.

Yeah, the las cannons certainly have range and power, but I like the assault cannons for their dual role in clearing infantry. I was considering running him with the Cyclone, too.

Reecius May 17, 2013 10:57 am

I just double checked, the Hyperios is indeed 1-4 per unit.

• jciscon May 17, 2013 12:31 pm

huh, looks like i need to pick up another one then. they’re too awesome not to take

Reecius May 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Right?! They’re so good! Plus I like the models a lot.

6. drowfamer May 17, 2013 8:47 am

Great list. I was wondering what your take on a TAC DA list that doesnt use Forgeworld. There are a few stores that still dont allow Forgeworld in thier tournies.

Reecius May 17, 2013 10:56 am

The list would really suffer without FW as it doesn’t have any viable AA options. A single quad gun just doesn’t cut it. I would write a really different list without FW, probably take IG allies, honestly.

7. Orthon May 17, 2013 9:14 am

I am curious as to why you would get the command squad without a banner. Taking the banner of devastation could make those two tactical squads into a threat. Or if you want to save points get the banner that makes the knights automatically pass their hit and run test.

Reecius May 17, 2013 10:55 am

You certainly could take the banner, and it would make the Tac squads much more powerful. However, the reason I choose not to is that if you go that route it encourages the Bike squad to remain static to keep the Tacs in the bubble (and remember, the Tacs have to hold still to really benefit from it). I envision this unit as a highly mobile threat. It’s weapons only have an 18″ range, and shooting is where this unit does the most damage, particularly at 9″ double tap. It also encourages the Tac squads to be static, which I don’t want. These are the guys going up field, skirmishing with enemy infantry ad 24″ range and taking objectives.

Secondly, this is already an expensive, high target priority unit. Adding a pricey banner makes them even more so.

• Orthon May 17, 2013 12:41 pm

Good point. I would probably outflank with the knights then so they are less likely to get shot up. They can come in on the sides and push some marines off an objective.

For the two tactical squads, I would consider giving each squad a flamer and a heavy bolter for 15 points to fill in the last 30 points if they are going to be mobile.

Reecius May 17, 2013 1:56 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Either a HB/Flamer or ML/Flamer. Makes them a lot more versatile.

8. Gregorius42 May 17, 2013 3:06 pm

It looks like the list is making use of all the elements of the FOC which is cool. Generally a balanced list is 2 HQs, 4-6 troops and whatever the new hotness is…

I especially like the land speeders since they will have a low target priority and in the DA are point efficient. It’s good to not be the dread aughts or vindicator.

Reecius May 17, 2013 4:38 pm

I think they will be low target priority until the shoot the first time! People underestimate how powerful this unit is is. More damage output than a unit of Long Fangs by a lot, plus mobility.

9. Jason
    Raw Dogger May 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Drop the Aegis and take the Skyshield. Put Whirlwind, Hyperios, Contemptor, etc on it. 4+ Invulnerable save. laugh

Reecius May 17, 2013 4:39 pm

I considered it. You lost another AA asset, but gain 25 points which can go to putting a Cyclone on the Cotemptor.

10. Hippesthippo May 17, 2013 5:37 pm

Definitely put the Cyclone on the Contemptor. It has crazy firepower with that on top of the 12 Kheres shots.

The problem with having single tools to deal with problems means as an opponent I can easily pick out your one unit that I find threatening, leaving you with potentially just a bunch of junk against me.

You like those Hyperios models? It looks like a little tv on legs to me.. Or a whirlwind minus the cool tank underneath hahaha. Fugly.

Reecius May 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Yeah, I don’t know what it is about them, but I do like them a lot.

The cool thing about this list though, is that a lot of the stuff overlaps. Some tools are better at certain tasks than others, but they almost all can overlap.

The trick is in using your tools to do what they need and stopping your opponent from doing the same. Haha, that was a John Madden piece of advice, there!

• Hippesthippo May 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Ahhh I love Maddenisms. I’ve played every Madden game religiously since Madden 64. :<

Reecius May 18, 2013 10:36 am

Hahaha, “the way to win a football game, is to score more points than the other team.”

Well, thanks Madden, that was a brilliant insight!