Going to a Tournament!

GW, why do you hate tournaments?

GW, why do you hate tournaments?

Yeah that’s right, the gang is actually going to play in a 40K tournament instead of just running one! Sweet!

I am excited for it, it is a BAO format event being run at Gamescape North, so that will be fun. We get to play in an event using our tournament structure, cool!

Frankie is bringing the Hell Turkey crazy list, I have my Nids coming, Raw Dogger is bringing IG/Grey Knights and young master Garrett is rocking his Farsight Tau. We’re really looking forward to it. I love one day events, 3 rounds, good fun, easy and low key. Just the way to spend a nice Sunday.

Here’s my 1750 list, it’s been really fun in play testing so far. We’ll see how it goes in the tournament. I think it will do great, only Frankie’s list gives me trouble. Those Hell Turkeys are murder! I can deal with the rest of it. Once I get my other 30 Gargoyles built it will be a lot easier to deal with, but for now, you work with what you’ve got!

I will check in mid event if possible with an update, othrerwise I will write up a bat rep tomorrow night. Wish us luck!

Tyranids 1750 Pts
Zoenthropes 3 180
Fast Attack
Gargoyles Poison, Adrenal 30 240
Heavy Support
Biovores 3 135
Totals 89 1750

20 Responses to “Going to a Tournament!”

1. jy2
    jy2 March 17, 2013 10:07 am

Have fun, guys.

Reecius March 18, 2013 8:09 am

Thank you, sir!

2. Defeatmyarmy March 17, 2013 10:20 am

Best of luck. Kill em all!

Reecius March 18, 2013 8:09 am

Thank you , sir!

3. edwin March 17, 2013 12:49 pm

how do you deal with any flyers?

• jy2
      jy2 March 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Numerous ways.

1. Flyrant.

2. Hive Guards.

3. Get locked in combat.

4. Hide the units that can.

5. Ignore them and weather their shooting.

• edwin March 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Hive guard without skyfire just seems like a waste against flyers and he doesn’t have a flyrant. A flyer or two will really lay the hurting on him

• umbo March 17, 2013 6:10 pm

board control, he will flood board with gaff. So flyers will always have to fly off very quick. If you limit flyers to possible just 2 rounds of shooting thats a massive win

Reecius March 18, 2013 8:06 am

You said it. Board control is a hugely important factor that so many people miss. The physical location of your models on the table is a tool that can win you games.

• jy2
          jy2 March 17, 2013 9:53 pm

What…no flyrant! What is Reece thinking?

If hive guards have nothing else better to shoot, might as well shoot at the flyers. I actually lost a heldrake to 1 single hive guard shot before.

Reecius March 18, 2013 8:05 am

The Flyrant is excellent, but Swarmy gives my list a lot of synergy and he owns the assault phase. He is just so powerful once he gets in combat.

Reecius March 18, 2013 8:07 am

Jim said it. Flyers seriously don’t scare me at all. Only the dread Hell Turkey does enough damage to worry me, slightly. But even that isn’t an auto-loss situation at all.

4. Max March 17, 2013 8:43 pm

So glad to have you guys at the event! I will be sure to email you the full results and see If I can get you some extra pictures for your bat rep.

-Max

Reecius March 18, 2013 8:05 am

Great event! We had a lot of fun, definitely will be back. Thanks for hosting it!

5. Vybert March 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Updates? No updates? I suspect y’all are recapping the battles over adult beverages, but always glad to see how the ‘nids fare.

Not a fan of the hormagaunts in your list. I love to see them work, but they need the 1pt AG/TS to make them viable. Otherwise they just die way too quickly and aren’t as scary in combat as they should be. Now a big mass of Gargoyles on the other hand… that is fun. I always run out of room on the board and get in my own way when running such huge broods though :(.

In regards to those asking about flyer protection, remember that swarmy could give preferred enemy to the hive guard meaning they will get a slightly improved chance to hit. Usually by that time, though, there are other fights on the board needing that reroll.

Reecius March 18, 2013 8:04 am

Yes, I use board control and shooting to deal with flyers. Mostly I ignore them, flood the field with bodies and control where they can go. So far it hasn’t been a big deal for me to face flyers. My army kill are their ground units quickly and then hunkers down on objectives.

The Hormagants kicked ASS this tournament! They were easily one of my top 3 units each game, no question. They killed more units than any other single unit in my army.

6. Egge March 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Cool nid list. But my preference would be a dakka tyrant with 2+ and a bodyguard, 3 hive guards instead of the zoanthropes and 20 more gargoyles instead of the hormagaunts.

But hormagaunts are cool and I suspect a swarmlord’s ability + hormagaunts combo…

It will be interesting on how the list works.

Reecius March 18, 2013 8:02 am

The Dakka Tyrant is beastly, but Swarmy was an absolute BOSS this tournament for me. He kicked ass and took names, but really, his buffing abilities are what made it happen.

The Homragants were all stars. They were one of my best units each game, no question. I played a mirror match game 1, and the unit damn near killed Swarmy and his Tyrant Guard in one round of combat! Game 2 they killed a unit of Grey Hunters and some Long Fangs, Game 3 they went through a unit of termies and 2 units of bikes, only losing 4 models. They were brutal.

7. fluger March 22, 2013 2:37 pm

I liked the idea of hormies in 5th, but no one ran them, what have you found about them in 6th that makes them so effective?

Reecius March 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Once they’re in combat they are really effective. I5, the extra attack, ScyTals, Poison means they mulch most infantry. Giving them Furious Assault before they assault with Swarmy means I save the 2pts per model on adrenal. And they’re scoring, so if even one survives, they can win you the game!