The Price Increases are Legit

This hobby can get expensive!

We just got off the phone with GW and the price increases are in fact real.

Well, what a kick in the nuts. This is an absurd price hike and I am more than  a little shocked that GW thinks their player base will stand for this. I am sure people will continue to play GW games (not only because I love them but for the sake of our business) but I foresee a great deal of people saying F it, and giving other game systems a go.

I really, really don’t understand the mentality behind these types of decisions. It’s suicide in slow motion. GW is going to wake to a very harsh reality.

What are your guys’ thoughts on the topic? Will you continue to play GW games or try out some new games?

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
40 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Slate_Blank
Slate_Blank
10 years ago

Been looking at both infinity and dropzone commander. Given the money sunk into GW think it will be a while before I switch anything though…

Also I really like the convertibility of GW plastics and think I would become frustrated with the more static poses/more difficult to convert that you see from other companies.

Ian Chadwick (Billyjoeray)
Ian Chadwick (Billyjoeray)
10 years ago

How much of a price hike are we talking about here…

Eben
Eben
10 years ago

It really isn’t that outlandish though. They do it every year and every year everyone says they will quit and move to another system and that this is slow suicide. A month passes and everyone forgets. Then the next year comes around. No big surprise.

tyrant of khador
tyrant of khador
Reply to  Eben

No not really look at PP with WM/H on how much it has grown the last year or so and how other game systems are now growing in the wake of GW price rises over the years.

tyrant of khador
tyrant of khador
Reply to  Reecius

Don’t get me wrong I’ll still buy stuff from GW such as 6th ed, updating some old armies with new units, and new updated codexs for the armies I own, but as far as starting new ones like I was hoping to this year that will be a negative.

D-ManA
D-ManA
10 years ago

I have been collecting 40K since ’92 and have several armies, I do not see me straying away from the game. When I buy new units it is mainly to fill in the empty slot but not a necessity.

I have looked at Dust warfare rules and liked them along with the price. With a some discounts i got the rulebook and 300+ point armies for both Axis and Allies for a little more than $300. So it makes for a good second game.

Shinkaze
Shinkaze
10 years ago

I think they are increasing the prices so that they will sell at 20 off% for what they want them to sell at MSRP. If I just bought a kit a month like a more traditional hobbyist I would just pay whatever. Since this is a game I end up at least wanting to buy more than that. I just can’t afford to pay full price at the FLGS. I don’t know how anyone collects more than one army and pays MSRP.

Bullet Sponge
Bullet Sponge
10 years ago

I have been playing off and on since 1st edition, and myself have several armies. I really do think this is a slow death for GW… maybe slower than most believe, but true none the less. I was looking at starting yet another army… just waiting to see what 6th was going to be like, but with the new price increase I think I will stick with what I have. As I feel a lot of others will do, or start to do. The other thing is the initial start up cost. If I was just getting started the price would really make me think twice. Slowly cutting off the influx of new players and driving off the vets is a sure fire way to fail. I can understand valid price increases and it IS a business, but GW markup is already something like 40% (typical is 15% to 25%). I really enjoy the minis and the fluff, but what I don’t appreciate is the fact that they have as high a markup as they do, rising stocks as fast as they are, and a price increase… increasing as fast as they are. It just seems like they are saying that they are going to give it to us hard, and expect us to come back for more. Mention an oil company raising prices at the pump while bragging about record sales, and see if they get any sympathy.

Brusilov
Brusilov
10 years ago

Personnaly, I have a fixed budget for 40k and in the current times of economic crisis (at least here in Europe), I’m certainly not going to increase said budget. If it means I buy less, well I’ll buy less…

More generally, I agree that this move seems utterly counterproductive… But if they do it, they must have a rationale behind it. Someone made that call and probably had good reasons for it (at least in his mind).

I agree that this seems like it’s going to hurt GW in the long run. But then, with bigger armies required and increasing prices, they can keep people building up their armies much longer. Although the price of entry is getting incredibly steep, which is where I think the heart of the issue lies.

Axientar
Axientar
10 years ago

This SUCKS. 🙁 If their goal is to get new players into the community because they buy more, then either they’ve changed their policy or are too short-sighted to realize that the cost of 40k drives away MANY people; for example, I van list several friends who think it sounds great, but refuse to look into detail because the price is way above their budget. Overall, bad move, GW.

On that note, Black Diamond Games posted an article on Facebook that relates this turn of events to the performance of an employee, which I found quite accurate based on the history of GW…

Axientar
Axientar
Reply to  Reecius

Unless GW sees the light light and lowers their prices… Like THAT’S going to happen any time soon. 😛

Kralizak
Kralizak
10 years ago

Well, there go all thoughts of building a second army.

Because of this, once I finish my Tyranids I will go full-on into Dropzone Commander. There goes another potential army sale for GW. Their competition grows. They just lost business. But it’s not just me, because humans are so numerous that there is hardly such a thing as a person who thinks entirely uniquely (I of course am the no exception; rather I am the antitheses of an exception, being an identical twin). More people are thinking just like I.

Speaking of Dropzone Commander, DzC shows that GW models’ value are far below their prices, and yes, GW is technologically behind. The DzC models are exemplars of this.

Sean Ireland
Sean Ireland
10 years ago

Really glad I’ve been branching out into other games, and this unreasonable price hike really solidifies that as a good decision. I’ve been enjoying Warmachine, thinking about Infinity, and way interested in Dropzone Commander.

Defeatmyarmy
Defeatmyarmy
10 years ago

A Monolith is now more than a tank of gas. I think GW has trolls working out the inflation rate. Think about it, with these prices thats like a months worth of good quality beer, for a model! This game might be good rehab to get people off drugs, they wont have any money left for it lol.

Benji
Benji
10 years ago

Sadly looking at how things are here in Australia people will probably just swallow it and move on. Heck it costs me $96 for a Trygon. Any word if there will be price rises internationally?

J Mac
J Mac
10 years ago

This is upsetting news. I wouldn’t mind so much if GW gave back to the community with tournaments and more prize support. However, as it is now I think calling it suicide in slow motion is an accurate way to describe it.

Forget about us for a second, how about those game stores who thrive off GW products. In such an economy, its important for these businesses to stay around for the stimulus our economy desperately needs.

Also, with the push for these price hikes
As for me, I’m in the boat of “I’ll keep playing, but don’t see myself starting a new army anytime soon.” Unless i start winning some tournaments :p good thing i’ve invested in other games as well.

J Mac
J Mac
10 years ago

Also with the push for these price hikes, maybe it should signify a movement for the smaller games such as Kill Zone and Kill Teams.

kingsfan2099
kingsfan2099
10 years ago

I can’t believe they’re doing this again. This time it’s so over the top and GW has to look at it like “we got our hooks into them with our plastic crack and now we can just raise the prices because they’re invested now”. I never thought it’d be possible to put 40k armies in my investment portfolio because my blood angels army is worth more now even open boxed and assembled than NIB when I bought it. Cant wait for DzC.

Kurt
Kurt
10 years ago

Ive seen gamers come and go, the price hike is just gonna deter new players from collecting and playing, the old players will still put up with GW’s crap, cause lets face it, 40K is gamer crack..

Ive never wanted to leave GW’s following but with all the new games coming out and the good product support its getting kinda hard not to give something else a try..

I hope to see GW take it right up the …

Lets Jack up the price right before we throw a new ed. at them and really f..them up. Thanks for the outstanding considerations GW…

Gordie
Gordie
Reply to  Reecius

I consider myself and my father a veteran of GW’s 40K range… With well over 6,000 CAD invested in 6 armies over the course of 10 years. (myself having Space Marines, and Dark Eldar, with a flourishing of Tau and Necrons, my father having a MASSIVE 5,000+ point guard army, and his own marines), and i can officially say i dropped out at the right time. I sold my marines to a buddy of mine for half of what “I” paid for them which is like 1/4 of what they are charging for NiB now….. he actually commented that if I hadnt, that he wouldnt have gotten into the game at all.

Fail move GW…. go back to Economics 101

Kurt
Kurt
10 years ago

Reecius what was up with the 80’s look at Adepticon.. wtf dude…that was wayyy out there..lol

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x