Thoughts on Dark Footdar Part 4: List Ideas

In the fourth part of this article, we discuss some list ideas for the Dark Footdar.

Hey everyone, back again with some list ideas.

Thanks to BigToof for giving us some feedback on running the Malys star against a Draigowing. With the interpretation that her ability stops NFWs and Hammer Hand (which I believe it would as it protects she and her unit from the EFFECTS of any psychic power) he reported that with the aid of a unit of Wyches coming out of a WWP, they destroyed the Draigowing, but it was a Pyrrhic victory, losing most of their unit, too. However, that is encouraging as I believe that the remaining units the Dark Footdar would have on the table, due to WWPs and speed, should be able to destroy the typical remaining units in a Draigowing list. That is pure speculation of course, but I believe that would hold true in most engagements.

So, with that data, we have 4 stand-out choices for HQ’s, largely depending on the meta you play in or are anticipating at an event. All lists assume you will be using a maxed Grote squad.

1.) Grey Knights: Malys and 2-3 Haemonculi or a single Archon. With Haemis you have fearless, FC, and 2-3 WWPs but no Phantasm. With the Archon, you are vulnerable to leadership attacks (led 10 has a 1 in 12 chance of failing without modifiers) and only a single WWP which limits tactical flexibility, but you do have the Phantasm which makes a huge difference against your average MEQ list (Grey Hunters can kiss their asses goodbye in cover or not). This choice depends on your meta. If you play lots of Grey Knights, this is the choice as this obliterates Purfiers and gives you a fighters chance against a Draigstar which is a hell of a lot more fun that running from it like most armies must do.

2.) Durability and extra killy: Urien and 2 Haemis or an Archon. Again, good options here. Urien with Haemis means multiple WWP entry points, increased durability and possibly offense through Urien’s abilities, and you can split off Haemis to join other units and take Pain Tokens with them. Wracks as troops would be a good choice here. No Phantasm can hurt, but as above, you are SO durable, particularly with Urien, that often it won’t matter. I can’t stress enough how powerful Urien can be on the defensive when used properly. Clone field, tough5 and auto-helaing a wound a turn is huge for wound allocation shenanigans and surviving tough combats. The Archon reduces tactical flexibility but increases hitting power significantly with the Phantasm and his attacks, although in this set-up, no need to fear leadership attacks.

3.) Special rules a-g0-g0: The Baron and the same options as above. Here, you would almost always go with Haemis for two WWPs as the bargain basement Baron has a Phantasm, stealth, +1 to go first and gives you the added bonus of Hellions as troops, which is awesome. An Archon cold work, but I wouldn’t go that route. I would rather the fearless.

4.) General Purpose/Flexibility: The hyv3mynd special! DIY Archon and 2-3 Haemis. This load-out is very flexible, give you more hitting power than the baron setup, but less defense, Phantasm, and multiple WWPs. An excellent choice.

Heavy Support options would depend on preference. Ravagers and Taloi jump out as me as the best choices. I lean towards Taloi as the are multi-functional. Coming out of a WWP, they can shoot a transport dead, then charge what’s inside. A tough7 monster that can grab FnP, can be such a PITA to take down, and they force your opponent to react to them. They are threats that must be dealt with in some way, even if only running from them.

Fast Attack for me would be a mix of Reavers for the various benefits they offer such as movement attacks, high speed, and OK fighting power for taking out weakened or non-dedicated shooting units. A Beast Pack I see as pretty much mandatory in this list as a WWP allows them to be a HUGE threat. Razorwing flocks and Fiends will smash MEQs and light mech, while Kymheras are great for soaking wounds.

Elites, well you know the Gortes are in. Outside of that, Blasterborn squads are incredibly points efficient. Not quite Firedragons, but still excellent.

And then the troops. This is a spot where I don’t feel as confident about the choices. Honestly, I will have to play-test this to really feel like it’s the right choice when I finally decide on what to run. Right now, I am going with tactically flexible 10 man Warrior squads equipped with a Blaster and a Splinter Cannon as suggested. This is a unit that can take out vehicles, infantry, is mobile, and has enough bodies to sit on an objective and take more than casual effort to dislodge. I may switch one of these out for some Wychs of Wracks after playtesting, but for now, this is what I would like to try out.

So, without further ado, here is my version of Dark Footdar, version 1.0! If you guys have any choices, just holler and I will be happy to answer why I chose what I chose. Also, any suggestions too, please let me know. And thanks again for all the great feedback! We will be play-testing this list in the next day or two.

Dark Footdar 2000pts

Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Defeatmyarmy
Defeatmyarmy
10 years ago

I like the way the plans are coming for your army.I don’t really know much about the army but WWP are impassable terrain right? If your units can assault the same turn they come in through the warp then this army can be very scary. I think I need to backtrack to older posts but how close do you plan to be to your opponents army when you pop the portals? It seems like you’ve been designing this army for awhile with the thought you put into it.

Defeatmyarmy
Defeatmyarmy
Reply to  Defeatmyarmy

Sry I meant how do you plan to get close enough to pop the portals?

hyv3mynd
hyv3mynd
Reply to  Defeatmyarmy

In anything except DoW, you can string out the grot unit (13 models) so that a majority is in cover and the WWP’s start 12″ up or up as far as possible with spearhead.

Reecius
Reecius
Reply to  hyv3mynd

Yup! You start quite far up the board and the wwp is impassible, defeatmyarmy.

Alarum
Alarum
10 years ago

I had an 1850 game against Blood Angels yesterday with my 1st draft of Dark footdar. I took Baron, 2x Haemys, 9 Grotes, 5 Mandrakes, 3xBlasterborn, 3 Wracks, 10 Wracks, 2×10 Wyches, 2×5 scourges, 2xTalos and a Cronos.

We rolled annihilation dawn of war. So I couldnt test out the Mandrakes giving the Grotes cover. He took Mephiston and with his S10 he cut through the Grotes very quickly. The Wyches (both squads) were again the best units for me, taking out 2 Tact squads 4 assault termies and Meph. The Cronos was handing out paintokens everywhere and killed more than both Taloi. They had terrible rollng this game so I wouldnt rule them out. He had 2 land raiders that i poured all my anti tank into for nothing more than a stun. Again it was poor rolling not lack of anti tank. The only penatrating hits I got were from my Wyches haywire grens but they only stunned it as well.

At the end I lost 10 to 8 but he only had a rhino and 2 raiders left. I made a few errors that cost me KPs. I think the idea is strong and can work. The changes I would make to the list would be to drop the Scourges and take Reavers. The 6″ move after the failed shooting would have kept them alive another turn.

On a side note, Baron passed 25 armour saves in the game and even survived a cc with Meph and then hit and run out.. And Liquifiers are awesome and I recomend them on anything that can take them.

If you have any questions let me know. It was not a very typical game so I will play a few more and see how it goes. I started with 2 units on the board and reserved the rest. On my turn 2 all but the Mandrakes and a unit of scourges entered from the portal. It looked like I tipped my minis case in the middle of the table. Getting all the units at the same time cost me manouverability as comming on from my edge wasnt an option.

Hope this helps you out.

hyv3mynd
hyv3mynd
Reply to  Alarum

DoW is the toughest deployment for dark footdar and Meph can be a beast. You gotta get as many blaster shots on him as possible before he hits. He’s also the reason I usually use the flesh gauntlet on my aberration.

Alarum
Alarum
Reply to  hyv3mynd

It slipped my mind that he can get S10 as I dont play against BAs often. He was also deployed out of a Land raider with a squad of assault Termies, which I told the guy doesnt work because he is not an IC and the raiders capacity is 10. I let him get away with it for the sake of a fun game. I shot 3 blasters a haywire and 2 heat lances at the raider out of the portal and got only 1 hit but failed to penetrete. It happened like that all game. I am very excited about this lists potential.

hyv3mynd
hyv3mynd
Reply to  Alarum

Yeah, Meph + termies in one transport is a nono. Plus, you should have probably rolled a lot better on shooting the raider. Sounds like you still did pretty well despite the disadvantages.

Reecius
Reecius
Reply to  Alarum

Thanks for the feedback! That sounds interesting, and yeah, I could see how meph would be an issue. wyches woulld be the solution there, I think. How many wwp’s did you have?

Did the mandrakes perform well?

That is interesting about the cronos, I want to like it so I’m glad to hear it worked well for you.

Thanks for the feedback.

Alarum
Alarum
Reply to  Reecius

I took 2 WWP but didnt get the second one off because I used his Liquifier on an Assault squad to great effect. And I only had 2 units to come on after rolling 11 4+ reserved turn 2. Real estate was at a premium and it made it hard to get all the units into position but I put it down to the freak reserve rolls.

The mandrakes came on turn 3 and were givin a pain token by the Cronos so they could shoot. They did a few wounds to a Tact squad but as almost all of my army was in cc I couldnt try out the infiltrate and move in front of the Grotesqes for mobile cover trick. As much as I like the Mandrake models I think Harlies would be a better screen as they have the same inv and your opponent may not even see them with 2d6 x2 range. I wont say they did bad untill I play a non DOW game.

I hope you test out the Cronos at some stage. I promise it wont let you down.

I am eagerly awaiting a bat rep from you with this list!

Guest22
Guest22
Reply to  Alarum

You can use the drop the WWP then fire the Liqufyer. It says in the codex, drop the WWp in the shooting and then can act normally.

hyv3mynd
hyv3mynd
10 years ago

Good start and fairly similar to what I run. I would drop the agonizer on the beasts as a beasmaster only has 1 attack with it and give the aberration a flesh gauntlet. It can make a big difference against NDK’s, pallies, wraithlords, thunderwolves, Meph, etc.

I like that warrior loadout and reavers. It would help diversify my list so I may try it out for the next comp tournament.

Hope to see you try it out soon!

Reecius
Reecius
Reply to  hyv3mynd

I know, I found it funny how similar my list ended up to yours. I didn’t catch the single attack on the beast master, thanks for pointing that out, deffinitely not worth the points. I’ll try the flesh gauntlet out, I could see it working.

And yeah, those warriors look like a really nice general purpose unit. Wyches may have to go in too, but we’ll see.

xzandrate
xzandrate
10 years ago

I’m late to this conversation, but I’ve been following hyv3mynd’s WWP list with some interest. I’ve been running a WWP/mech list since the new book came out and love how it completely borks your opponents tactics.

The one problem I see, your beast pack is too big (17 models, not 12).
With 12 Terminator size bases, and 5 small flying bases all having to be deployed within 6″ of the portal it eats up alot of real estate, and if you get a decent reserves roll you may not be able to get everything out of the portal. An important concept in the WWP list is the unit’s footprint when coming onto the table, because all reserves have to move onto the table at the beginning of the movement phase, no moving the WWP dropping Grot squad, no running anyone who is coming on.

The agonizer and Fiend may be a waste of points. As pointed out, beastmaster has 1 attack, and you almost tripled the cost of the model to make that one attack a power weapon. The fiend isn’t bad per say, but you’ll find it will underperform compared to the other 2 beasts. Str 5 isn’t any better than the rending vs. armour, and since it’s at I5 it’s only giving your opponent more wounds to allocate at the same time as your rends, making them less effective.

Skari
10 years ago

I like that first draft the archon + heamies really make for a tough unit to shift.

I would:
– Drop the agons on the heamies… give them venom blades. Save 30 pts.
– Drop the chain flails on the taloi… keep the heatlances.

Give the 2 heamies liquifier guns. (like that you have 3 templates to use in a tight spot)

These are the most glaring things… you might be able to squeeze a chronos in there with a vortex (100pts) if you play your cards right.

Reecius
Reecius
Reply to  Skari

I was considering venom blades, too for the haemis. However, agonizes in that big unit give them tools to fight things like meph, mc’s etc. chain flails really boost your average number of attacks with the taloi, the star curve on 2d6 is much more predicable than 1d6. For 10 points I think it’s a good investment.

Liquifiers is a good idea, those can be really useful.

mike
mike
10 years ago

So I played dark Footdar last year at the bay area open.
Wyches are the core.
The cronos is excellent. The meq killing flamer is excellent. Chain flails on taloi are a must.
1 venom is very useful too. Getting a perfectly positioned portal early is very useful.

Admittedly I was playing with the Duke who is a little less optimal. When you role up fnp though damn. The wyches and bikes really get rolling.

I have tried grots a few times too. They are hammer hard (I played them with vect). They are slow though.
Also given your background Reece a squad of harlies for cover and deployment.
Awesome fun to play though.

Red Corsair
Red Corsair
10 years ago

Hey, sorry for the absence, just got caught up to speed. I just played a fun game with my brother last night (his wife is having baby 2 tomorrow) and it was just a fun game as we are not gonna be able to play for a stint. Any who, I used his tyranids and he played orks and I was playing the prime and two bricks of warriors and I just realized we didn’t take into account warriors with bones swords and FnP from a Tervigon. This is obviously something that is rare probably in any meta but holy crap can that unit ruin the grot star fast.

I regards to the list, I really think Malys has to be the anchor more and more. DE not having ANY psychic defense is just terrifying. Blood angels (meph), SW, and GK are everywhere right now and you really can’t count on shooting meph down consistently. Don’t forget craftworld eldar either, doom and mind war are a bitch, and shes in heat 😉

Aside from that my only beef is the trueborn, but thats something I have with most DE lists now a days. I just think the small suicide squads are so not worth it, they are not even close to the throw away hurt fire dragons are. I just feel that there is no way that squad is going to perform like a ravager and it costs 3 points more lol. I know I know, we have a theme but heck the cronos is cheaper even lol. And he will buff up the taloi and warriors and bring a 3rd MC to this Hair band!

Guest22
Guest22
10 years ago

I played someone down in Sacramento who runs a WWP list. His list is tough and he is a great general as well.

He coupled the Haemies with some wracks in venoms to zoom up 12” to drop the portal. Had a couple blasterborn and as a shocker unit, 10 mandrakes with a Haemie attached. 20 shots is no joke! A couple Blasterborn and 4 small Wych squads. He also ran 2 Talos and a Cronos. Pretty sure he had the Baron for the go first roll as well.

In the last tournament down here he placed in the top 10 and won 2nd best general I believe.

Dont you play down there Reece? You might have seen him, he a big tall guy. Couldnt be any nicer though. Tough opponent and awesome list!

BigToof
BigToof

Hi Reecius,
So is Malys off the table then?
I think she may be the missing piece versus a lot of builds.
She can counter even big nasties like Meph, although she’s still more vulnerable than a shadowfield Archon. I’d advise what others have said and get liquifier guns. They make failing charges versus the Grot squad even more scary, as you can lay down 3 potentially AP1 templates on someone if they dare fail.

If you want something decently hard in DoW, I’ve used a until of 7-8 Wracks with a Haemonculus. Drop the portal, and if you’re in cover, you should be fine until the Grots walk up from reserves. Or… you could always use the Wracks to spread out across 24″, then pop them back into reserves using Malys. I’ve really enjoyed using Malys and I continue to highly recommend her as she solves the whole Grey Knight problem.

Best,
-BT

Alarum
Alarum
10 years ago

I was just thinking about Gks and was wondering, is there anything we can do to stop the ICs getting sniped by vindicares? I would hate to have to roll berzerk rampage every turn until they die. On a side note, in DOW you would always have to deploy them with an IC as well.

Hulksmash
Hulksmash
10 years ago

I’ve been toying with WWP lists for a while. Mostly using 2 units of 4 Grots w/Haemons in Raiders but this is something I’d consider for an all foot list:

Lady Malys-130
2 Haemon w/WWP-170
10 Grots w/Aberration, Liquifier-370
15 Wyches w/Succ., Phantasm, Agoniser, Haywire-220
5 Warriors w/Blaster-60
5 Warriors w/Blaster-60
7 Wracks-70
6 Bikes w/AC, Agoniser, 2xHeat Lance-186
5 Scourges w/2xHeat Lance-134
Beast Pack w/5 BM’s, 10xKymerae, 6 Razorwing-270
Talos w/Chainflails, Heat Lance-110
Talos w/Chainflails, Heat Lance-110
Talos w/Chainflails, Heat Lance-110

2k on the nose w/80 models. The Wracks double as another delivery system in DoW missions and are solidly survivable until people start coming in. And I’m like the Lady more and more since the GK codex dropped and with Lash being a big issue with a foot army. Just my thoughts rights now 🙂

Yeeman
Yeeman
10 years ago

I think Guest22 might be talking about me. I played someone the other night with my 1750 CoC list. If i were scaling up to 2000 I would do this.

Baron

x5 Scourge w/ x2 haywire blasters
x5 Scourge w/ x2 haywire blasters

Talos w/ Liqufyer, Heatlance
Talos w/ Liqufyer, Heatlance
Cronos w/ Vortex

Theres 30 points left.

My goal is to try and flod the field with as many units as possible. Plus, most units can do multiple things. I find most WWP lists want big units coming out. I find having theu nit flooded with units makes priority difficult because there are that many units in thier lines.

The Wyches are small but can still bring the hurt. They are a perfect number where they can deal enough damage to hold and can attack anything. Dreads still dotn want none, and tactical squads fear the Agonizer.

I have tried the Malysstar with the Grots. I dont like it. You need to be careful about people who can get firt turn charges on you and possibly tie you up. Those are few and far between, but multiple units could do so. Then your units are walking on when rolled for.

I think it is key to have the Portals mobile. Stick them in a transport and zoom them up field to get them there faster.

I would loveto try the beastmasters, but money has stalled that. The squad Hulk recommended is damn expensive in the wallet! I like scourge better than bikes for the range on the haywires and they are cheaper. Bikes are nice though and can easily be switched in in my list.

I used to run my Talos with Chainflails and swore by them. No longer. Popping out and laying that liqufyer down is soooo nice. I find most things they get in CC with with either kill or them, or the Talos will kill them. I rarely find them “stuck” in combat.

My ace in the hole is the Mandrakes. People laugh and point, but they whoop ass. 20 Str4 AP 4 Pinning shots? Yes please! They do work! Once people get shot by them, they become target priority number 1. They will be in cover for the nice 3+ Cover save and FnP to boot. They are nice and nothing to laugh at.

Sorry for rambling but I have been following these articles and thought I’d throw in my 2 cents especially after I was referenced! Hope I helped!

Red Corsair
Red Corsair
Reply to  Reecius

No fiend? Say it aint so, you want style points, he’s your man. I find so many people hate on the fiend but he is good for allocating wounds early on to get his attacks up.

Red Corsair
Red Corsair
Reply to  Reecius

Maybe model half the flocks as fiends 😉

Zid
Zid
10 years ago

So I’m a bit late to this, but I have through exp with my raider based wych cult. I must say, I love me some wyches!

That said, I’ve been working on building a WWP list so I can mix stuff up. I hate my raider list because having 18 or so KP’s is a PITA in KP missions…

So heres my version of WWP DarkFootdar:

Heavy Support
—————–
Talos – Chain Flails, Twin-Linked Heat Lance – 120 pts
Talos – Chain Flails, Twin-Linked Heat Lance – 120 pts
Talos – Chain Flails, Twin-Linked Heat Lance – 120 pts

Total: 1743 pts

Basic thoughts: Barons there to give you the pivotal first turn. Harles escort the WWP Haemis. Harles I feel are THE BEST WWP drop squad; they are damn near impossible to hit T1 without good rolls, can get the Haemis into position, and can smack stuff if needed. Toss the baron in, and you have 3+ cover on em! I’m generally not a fan of 5 man warrior squads, but, the list needs ranged AT. Between all those blasters and heat lances stuff (should) die. The Wyches are there to tie up units and generally disrupt, while the Beastmasters and Talos’ are the main infantry killers.

Now heres my thoughts on unit choices:
– BM’s are AWESOME in WWP or Foot lists
– Scourges are excellent, reliable AT units
– Cronos are OK, but suck arse in CC… they’re cheap, but die quickly, and won’t net many Pain tokens against mech armies.
– Talo’s are pretty much a must. They’re sturdy and powerful, just wish they had more than 3 wounds….
– Grotesques, IMO, are just soooo expensive. And with the advent of GK unless you run Malys, the squads super disposable. They are also weak to ID from Vindis, Medudsas, Doom Scythes, etc.
– Trueborn are always a solid choice
– Harlequins are my favorite WWP escort, even if they are expensive
– Incubi could be an interesting choice….
– Warrior squads are fragile, and have pretty low damage output, so I feel they’re objective campers
– Wyches are also fragile, but great at tying up units, and can really hurt some things.
– Wracks are far less fragile, and would work awesome in a WWP list. My only reservations are that they don’t have any AT options.
– As far as HQ’s I feel for a WWP List these would be good options: Lady malys, Baron, Vect, Base Haemis for WWP’s. All other options not that great…
– Reavers are also a great fast AT option

Just a few thoughts

Zid
Zid
10 years ago

While I do agree with you about their fragility, they do have a benefit over all other choices: no opponent, with good deployment and clever strategy, will ever be able to hammer your harles with the brunt of their firepower. Either way, duke can soak up shots, each haemi has 1 wound they can lose, and you have 4 expendable models (shadowseers kinda important lol). My issue with all the other options is they are vunerable if you don’t get first or if you get seized on; harles just seem like a good tac choice to me.

Of course I always take feedback to heart and ill see how they do!

Erich
Erich
10 years ago

You got to try out the Mandrake escort, Reece. I’ve mentioned it before. The nice thing is that it’s a good unit at 1500pts on up. It works in any game between 1500pts -2000pts because it’s cost effective. Also I’ve had better luck with Scourges with Haywire blasters. I’ve tried out all loadouts and have had the most success with them. The neat thing is that you can put them into the upper areas of terrain at the start of the game and harass vehicles. Haywires are good because the don’t care what the AV is…unless you roll a 1..a result will happen. It makes douchebags that take mechvets in chimera pissed as if you shake the vehicle the models inside can’t shoot. It does great things vs. stormravens moving flat out. Nothing like immoblizing them and seeing them crash. LOL.

Erich
Erich
10 years ago

Oh, I also swear by Taloi. Vs. most armies they kick ass. They’re mobility isn’t that bad since their one shooting attack isn’t much…thus you can run with them more than you normally would as losing one shot isn’t much of a loss. I’ve run them with Heatlances or haywire on occasion. Definitely experiment with chain flails and buy the extra close combat weapon. Getting a Talos up to 8 attacks on the charge is pimp.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x